Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Texas receiver Devin Duvernay was flying in the 40, posting a 4.39. He has the speed, and he certainly produces: Duvernay had 106 catches for 1,386 yards and nine touchdowns in 2019. He ranks No. 69 overall and No. 13 among receivers.

That was an awesome 40.  He's really good and probably one of the safest picks in the WR group because of that rare combination of speed, power, motor, and production.  I could see him getting drafted in the second.  He's like Ruggs in that he can produce on really easy stuff to incorporate into your offense and he is such a tough man cover.  What he does well should translate to the NFL.

13 feels a bit low for him.  I could see him being like the sixth WR taken, I think he's better than Shenault, Aiyuk, Raegor, and Hamler, and a little better than Pittman.  My WR board would be like:

1 - Lamb

2 - Jeudy

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

5 - Jefferson

6 - Tyler Johnson

7 - Mims

8 - Hodgins

9 - Duvernay

10 - Pittman

11 - Shenault

But I think Duvernay has a chance to get drafted well ahead of Johnson and Hodgins, and maybe even Higgins.

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Dalton Keene had himself a combine.  We need to take a look at him.

Chase Claypool has grabbed peoples attention as a candidate to switch to TE.  What about Juwan Johnson for the same role?  He becomes more than a seventh rounder or puffs at that position instead of at wr.

I love Johnson for a switch to TE. Watch his blocking on tape. A LOT of their long TD's were sprung by his downfield blocking. Now that isnt inline blocking. But I think he would project pretty well to that position. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That was an awesome 40.  He's really good and probably one of the safest picks in the WR group because of that rare combination of speed, power, motor, and production.  I could see him getting drafted in the second.  He's like Ruggs in that he can produce on really easy stuff to incorporate into your offense and he is such a tough man cover.  What he does well should translate to the NFL.

13 feels a bit low for him.  I could see him being like the sixth WR taken, I think he's better than Shenault, Aiyuk, Raegor, and Hamler, and a little better than Pittman.  My WR board would be like:

1 - Lamb

2 - Jeudy

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

5 - Jefferson

6 - Tyler Johnson

7 - Mims

8 - Hodgins

9 - Duvernay

10 - Pittman

11 - Shenault

But I think Duvernay has a chance to get drafted well ahead of Johnson and Hodgins, and maybe even Higgins.

They made the point last night, but truthfully I was thinking it as I was watching...

CeeDee Lamb's smooth motions remind me of Deebo Samuels at the combine last year. And it translates to the field. They showed Deebo run the Gauntlet last year and then showed him catching drags across the middle and turning up.

Lamb is a weapon. 

I haven't deep dove into the receiver class as much yet, so these rankings are.... arbitrary as hell and will change a lot...

But for me:

1. Jeudy

2. Lamb

3. Ruggs

4. Jefferson

5. Pittman

6. Higgins

7. Mims

8. Shenault

9. Tyler Johnson

10. Duvernay

11. Claypool - I really like his versatility. I think he's a guy, that if he wanted to, could even line up as an H-Back and draw LB match ups. He's ****ing huge and fast. He's a weapon, man. 

12. Hightower

13. Hodgins

14. Aiyuk

Again, these are likely to move all over the damn place. Gotta deep dive. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Dalton Keene had himself a combine.  We need to take a look at him.

Chase Claypool has grabbed peoples attention as a candidate to switch to TE.  What about Juwan Johnson for the same role?  He becomes more than a seventh rounder or puffs at that position instead of at wr.

100% agree. I think he jumps to the front of the TE pile, too. The NFL Network guys were pushing that point last night. And I love it. 

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1 - Lamb

2 - Jeudy

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

5 - Jefferson

6 - Tyler Johnson

7 - Mims

8 - Hodgins

9 - Duvernay

10 - Pittman

11 - Shenault

'

For me:

1 - Lamb

2 - Jeudy

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

5 - Jefferson

6.   Mims

7. Reagor

8.  Pittman and Tyler Johnson tied

9. Hamler

10. Duvernay

11. Aiyuk

12. Shenault  

13. Bowden

I haven't seen Claypool yet, haven't seen enough to judge .  Ditto Hodgins.  Love Bryan Edwards but don't know now with the broken foot.  The scary thing is I can keep going with Wrs I like, what a draft for that position, wow. 

Nice bit on the prospects post weigh in, but pre-combine with Matt Kelley and JJ Zachariason.

The Ruggs part starts at the 115 mark. Interesting, zero hits on guys with Ruggs statistical profile drafted in round 1 going back more than a decade. Otoh, you get a couple of hits if you open it up to day 2/3 selections. 

I'm a Ruggs hater so take it for what it's worth, but I appreciate the nuance in their discussion of him. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We haven't really dived into the IOLs much this year, but guard is potentially a dire need.  This class actually sounds pretty good too.  Some of the NFL comparisons that Zierlein made are Osemele, Stefen Wisniewski, Cody Ford, Joe Dahl, Lakin Tomlinson, Corey Linsley, Gabe Jackson, and James Daniels.  That's pretty good for mid round value.

Julie Donaldson who seems oddly plugged in with the Rivera crew has talked some about what she's hearing.   And if I combined that with what Rivera has said directly.  For what its worth, the impression I got.

A.  they are bringing Scherff and Flowers back and are ok with depth at guard but some concerns with tackle-Trent.

B.  He's big on having a good player man the MLB spot

C.  Seems like they want to add corners

D. A WR and TE

E.  He's a front 4 > back 4 kind of guy.  

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

'

For me:

1 - Lamb

2 - Jeudy

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

5 - Jefferson

6.   Mims

7. Reagor

8.  Pittman and Tyler Johnson tied

9. Hamler

10. Duvernay

11. Aiyuk

12. Shenault  

13. Bowden

I haven't seen Claypool yet, haven't seen enough to judge .  Ditto Hodgins.  Love Bryan Edwards but don't know now with the broken foot.  The scary thing is I can keep going with Wrs I like, what a draft for that position, wow. 

I didn't even put ****ing Reagor on my list. He was not a purposeful omission. Yikes. This class is so loaded :ols:

Now I gotta find enough on each of these guys to do the deep dive justice. CB is next after WR. I haven't watched much at all at the CB spot. 

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jordan Reed has never blocked a single player in his entire career. Not even accidentally. I've seen him just straight move out of the way even and people love him as a TE, I'm sure those guys can get drafted as TEs. Its becoming such a premiere position too.

I have to disagree here....I'm pretty certain he led the team in holding penalties the last time he played close to a full season. Maybe we are both right, he can't block so he holds.

I hear a lot of talk about the WRs but I'm not hearing much about Antonio Gandy-Golden. He's not a burner but damn his highlight film is pretty damn impressive. A poor man's Claypool--5th or 6th round? I'm down with this dude. Strength of opponent questions will of course be there, but just trust your eyes...

5 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I hear a lot of talk about the WRs but I'm not hearing much about Antonio Gandy-Golden. He's not a burner but damn his highlight film is pretty damn impressive. A poor man's Claypool--5th or 6th round? I'm down with this dude. Strength of opponent questions will of course be there, but just trust your eyes...

I've talked about him some.  I like him if it's in that range.  I don't see him as a 2nd-3rd rounder.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've talked about him some.  I like him if it's in that range.  I don't see him as a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Fair enough, I'm new to the thread and was only reading back a few pages. But I agree with you, he seems like a potential gem in round 4 (bottom half) or beyond.

Just now, Wyndorf25 said:

Fair enough, I'm new to the thread and was only reading back a few pages. But I agree with you, he seems like a potential gem in round 4 (bottom half) or beyond.

I have no idea how to rate him. I've seen bits and pieces but not enough to throw him anywhere. This receiver class is loaded and I think a stud is going to slip REALLY far down the rabbit hole. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have no idea how to rate him. I've seen bits and pieces but not enough to throw him anywhere. This receiver class is loaded and I think a stud is going to slip REALLY far down the rabbit hole. 

I agree about some really good WRs sliding due to the quality depth and a guy like AGG might be that guy because of his 4.6 40 time and the fact that he played at Liberty vs lesser competition.

However, he has nice ball skills, body control and possesses the skills to possibly be a nice red-zone threat. Get him in the bottom half of the draft and I'd be happy.

24 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I posted some about him early in the fall, I’m a fan of the big guy. If he falls to 5/6, I’m in.

From Rivera’s standpoint, given the above, I think the team needs:

An answer at LT.  If it’s not Trent, I see them signing a viable option (Conklin or, more likely a guy like Penn that you hope can be at least serviceable) and then looking to the draft.  Draft-wise, they may feel pigeonholed into trading back from 2 to get a top tackle.  Otherwise, moving up from their 3rd rounder (not very likely IMO) or using the pick they get from Trent (Jones/Wanotoga/Austin Jackson?).

A MLB.  My guess would be FA? 

Corner competition- could go FA here for a starting caliber or competition.  Should be able to grab a decent prospect in the 4th-5th.  

Edge rusher - presumably Young, but otherwise maybe a Baun or Okwara type in the 3rd-4th.   

TE - At the minimum a guy to compete - maybe someone like Fells in FA, or a 3rd-6th rounder (Kmet/Trautman/Bryant - Albert O./Keene/Woerner, along with a few other in that range).  Could go both FA and draft of course (seems a high probability in fact).  

Receiver - competition at least.  I could see a starting caliber FA (there is a small handful) or someone in the 3rd-5th to compete with Harmon.  

Obviously there are other areas of concern, but this seems like the baseline to me currently.  

Quarterback is a concern, even for a backup there has to be priority placed there. How much priority? Good question.

I don't think the team trades far enough back to miss on Chase, Tua, Simmons or Okudah. I really, really don't. I see them going tackle in the free agency period.

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Quarterback is a concern, even for a backup there has to be priority placed there. How much priority? Good question.

Absolutely.  I just don’t see it as one of the top priorities for them.  Like running back, FS and (likely?) SLB, it will be addressed I’m sure.  I could be way wrong.  

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think the team trades far enough back to miss on Chase, Tua, Simmons or Okudah. I really, really don't. I see them going tackle in the free agency period.

I think you’re right, but if say, they traded back to 5, Young, Tua and Okudah could be gone.  At that point, they may have Thomas (or whichever tackle) ahead of Simmons, even if they love Simmons.  Just no telling.  I’d say it is also possible they have Simmons higher than the best available tackle, but still go tackle in that situation.  I think it’s generally a bad idea to go for need over BPA (even though need should be automatically factored in to some degree), but in our situation they may just prioritize tackle over OLB... and that’s not even factoring in market value.  Again, who knows.  

Yay lists. I still have to look at a lot more games, do head-to-heads, and then tabulate grades, but this is where my list stands as of now for WR and CB. The back halves haven't been solidified yet, so the final order down there needs a bunch more work for both groups and will change.

WR

Ceedee Lamb

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs III

Tee Higgins

Denzel Mims

Justin Jefferson

Tyler Johnson

Michael Pittman Jr

Isaiah Hodgins

Jalen Raegor

Devin Duvernay

Laviska Shenault Jr

Brandon Aiyuk

Chase Claypool

KJ Hamler

Lynn Bowden Jr

John Hightower

Donovan Peoples Jones

Antonio Gandy-Golden
Bryan Edwards

Van Jefferson

Jauan Jennings

Quintez Cephus

Collin Johnson

Juwan Johnson

James Proche

Stephen Guidry

Gabriel Davis

Quez Watkins

KJ Hill

Omar Bayless
Quartney Davis

Binjimen Victor

Aaron Fuller

JD Spielman

Kendrick Rodgers

Isaiah Wright

Tyrie Cleveland

Austin Mack

Kalija Lipscomb

Joe Reed

Darnell Mooney

Jeff Thomas

Malcolm Perry

Ty Lee

Marquez Callaway

Chico McClatcher

Brenden Schooler

Rico Bussey Jr.

Lee Morris

Trishton Jackson

Cody White

CB

Jeffrey Okudah

Kristian Foulton

CJ Henderson

Trevon Diggs

Jaylon Johnson

Cameron Dantzler

Bryce Hall

Jeff Gladney

Damon Arnette

Noah Ibinoghene

AJ Terrel

Troy Pride Jr

Michael Ojemudia

Amik Robertson

Darnay Holmes

Essang Bassey

Trajan Bandy

Myles Bryant

Jaron Bryant

Lamar Jackson

Dane Jackson

AJ Green

Lavert Hill

Demarkus Acy

Luq Barcoo

Kindle Vildor

Nevelle Clark

Levonta Taylor

Josiah Scott

Reggie Robinson II

Tino Ellis

Mike Hampton

Grayland Arnold

Parnell Motley

Javaris Davis

Jaron Bryant

L'Jarius Sneed

Chris Jackson

Jalen Thompson

Hasan Defense

Myles Hartsfield

Damon Hayes

Kevin McGill

Michael Porter

James Pierre

Debione Renfro

Stanford Samuels III

Sorry if this clutters the thread. Anyways, I thought this was interesting.

47 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Sorry if this clutters the thread. Anyways, I thought this was interesting.

The dude is good.  He's an intense competitor and he's got build up speed.  He has that extra little gear on his go routes to get those final steps on you as the ball is on its way, and he times it up with sneaky hand usage to get open on good coverage.  He plays through you and imposes his will on the defender rather than the other way around.  He is a good football player.

The first few steps of his 40 were crap though.  That's really what caused him to have such a slow time.  I don't think he knows how to run one because the transition out of his stance was awkward and deliberate looking and he got zero explosion in those drive steps.  So I think you have to ask why was the drill such an issue for him?  What was his level of preparation?  And I don't want to dwell too much on his character in here, but it's a concern.  He's just sketchy.  I like him as a player a lot, but this class is so rich in talent that I would be scared off of him until pretty late in the draft.  I think he's boom or bust.

Archived