Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So the reason I think a late first or early second is I’m assuming the top 3 QBs are gone.  So then you’re comparing Haskins to QB4 or lower in this class.  I think he stacks up well, he’s still on his rookie deal and has some good NFL starting experience. 

So if you’re a QB needy team who didn’t get Butrow, Tua or Herbert, he’s a good option, with some positive upside.  It’s almost like he’s be in this draft and he’s probably the 3rd or 4th rated QB in this years draft.

It’d be interesting to see NE offer the first for DH as Brady exits. 

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I like Haskins enough and I think he can be a good NFL starter, and possibly with the right situation, a really good NFL QB. 

Assumption 1: Burrow has a higher grade and upside than Haskins.  

Assumption 2:  you can get a late first or early second for Haskins. 

Assumption 3: you don’t sign Rivers or Brady I’m FA. 

If those 3 assumptions are true, you say screw it and take Burrow and move Haskins. 

QB is the most important position on the team and if you think Butrow can be Aaron Rodgers, you don’t blink, you just take him. 

I don’t think Burrow is Aaron Rodgers. Tua... I’d take. Have to see about the medical. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So has Trey Adams solidified his status as a day 3 pick then? And if so, is he worth a look for us at that stage?

It looks an awful lot like his back injury has robbed him of his athleticism.  I'm not sure he's the same player he used to be when he had that good 2016 season.

I would prefer to go in another direction for our OLs.  Injuries to that group have been killing us the past two years, and I want to get guys who are healthy.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So has Trey Adams solidified his status as a day 3 pick then? And if so, is he worth a look for us at that stage?

I'd pass. I'm sort of keen on Colton McKivitz, Isaiah Wilson and Alex Taylor. It looks like a decent group but not having a 2nd rounder stings. Even if Trent stays we need to look hard at the OT position.

Who are the R3-5 OTs who have LT potential? 

I assume in trading Trent we will get at least a 3. So while a 2 is nice ... I still feel like there’s a drop from Jones and Austin Jackson to that next tier. Round 2 almost seems to early but R3 seems right. But are any of those guys starting caliber? Even long term?

If we traded Trent I’d assume we draft an OT with one of our first picks after 2 and put that person behind Penn to learn. 

RT is an issue for me too. Would be interesting to see if we opt to take Trents salary savings and out it toward one of the OTs on the market to play RT and cut Moses. 

don’t be shocked if we hit OT 2x ... like R3 and R5

Of course if we trade Trent AND #2 I’d expect an OT earlier. Maybe even with 5. Likely with 18. So much to unfold between now, FA and the draft. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Who are the R3-5 OTs who have LT potential? 

I assume in trading Trent we will get at least a 3. So while a 2 is nice ... I still feel like there’s a drop from Jones and Austin Jackson to that next tier. Round 2 almost seems to early but R3 seems right. But are any of those guys starting caliber? Even long term?

If we traded Trent I’d assume we draft an OT with one of our first picks after 2 and put that person behind Penn to learn. 

RT is an issue for me too. Would be interesting to see if we opt to take Trents salary savings and out it toward one of the OTs on the market to play RT and cut Moses. 

don’t be shocked if we hit OT 2x ... like R3 and R5

Of course if we trade Trent AND #2 I’d expect an OT earlier. Maybe even with 5. Likely with 18. So much to unfold between now, FA and the draft. 

Not sure if they fall to the 3rd but 2nd?  If they can get at least a 2nd for Trent. I'd deal him. 

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

When I watched Wiscy, Taylor seemed to put the ball on the ground with regularity, is that an issue for him or did I just see a bad night or two? It was ridiculous v Purdue.

It's a concern for many, not an aberration, not a concern for me, not when he has those production markers, and that athletic profile. Barrett basically has him as as good as any RB in the past decade basically. In tier 1 for the aught teen's so to speak. Other than the concerns over usage in college (so far, no studies to back up concerns w/that as far as I can tell, I worry but I have no evidence based justifications for said worries for now). 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It looks an awful lot like his back injury has robbed him of his athleticism.  I'm not sure he's the same player he used to be when he had that good 2016 season.

I would prefer to go in another direction for our OLs.  Injuries to that group have been killing us the past two years, and I want to get guys who are healthy.

yeah was looking through some combine footage earlier. Sure looks like it’s taken it’s toll on him.

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is a great 40 time from Jonathan Taylor.  He's the best back in the class IMO.  I'd put him in my top 15 and he is almost as good a RB as Jeudy and Lamb are at their position.

Significantly better than those two (and I like both of them). Those two have some concerns, and definitely aren't considered in the same class as mega WR prospects over the years like Megatron, Andre Johnson,AJ Green and Julio Jones to name a few. Jonathan Taylor is of that grouping amongst RB's according to Barrett's metrics pre-combine, then he came in and obliterated the combine. Jeudy and Lamb tested as 1st round WR's in the combine just as their production and breakout #'s suggested they would, but they didn't come off as one of the best prospects in a decade types like Taylor has (production and athletic profile).

The weird thing is it definitely sounds like he wasn't the #1 RB for most teams coming in, sounds like guys like Dobbins, CEH, and Swift were the big guys for a lot of people. After this, where does he fall? Hard to believe he isn't the #1 RB, he has the production profile and athletic profile to justify it. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think Burrow is Aaron Rodgers. Tua... I’d take. Have to see about the medical. 

That’s up to Kyle Smith and the staff to determine.  I tend to agree with you, but if they put a Mahomes/Rodgers grade on him, you take him.

I also think Tua is the better prospect minus medical.  The thing is I believe he’s had 2 or three surgeries already on his lower extremities.  I just can’t believe that’s “good” and not concerning.  Again it’s up to the medical but I think the safer bet is Burrow.  Or if Burrow is gone, Young + Haskins. 

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

It’d be interesting to see NE offer the first for DH as Brady exits. 

Package deal: Haskins, Williams and Dunny for your entire draft.  :P 

EDIT: and if Bill wants Haskins I think you keep him.  Because Bill knows QBs and if he thinks Haskins has got it then that’s the biggest endorsement a guy can have. 

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I also think Tua is the better prospect minus medical.  The thing is I believe he’s had 2 or three surgeries already on his lower extremities.  I just can’t believe that’s “good” and not concerning.  

I heard some NFL talking head said the other day that his ankle injuries were very minor and most NFL teams would have just let them heal without surgery. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd like for us to meet with Wirfs and Thomas too.

That meeting list is a fraction of the number of people they could meet at the combine.  So I bet they interviewed some O lineman, too 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I heard some NFL talking head said the other day that his ankle injuries were very minor and most NFL teams would have just let them heal without surgery. 

But he’s had the surgery.  Maybe it’s just being a nervous nelly, but my experience with ankle injuries is that they tend to weaken the joint, and can recur more easily.  Especially if you’ve gone in and messed with the joint.  

Ankles get twisted, stepped on, fallen down on all the time.  Mostly it’s just minor stuff that doesn’t even register.  But if you’ve had ankle problems before are you more susceptible to them going forward?  I think yes.  

And maybe I’m just extra gun shy because we’ve counted on so many folks with injury histories over the last 5 years and it just never worked out in our favor.  

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Ok I’ll admit, I badly want us to get more draft picks. We need to find a way to get a couple of day 2 picks in. Get those trades worked out.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step of recovery.  :P

Im pretty convinced we’ll have a 2nd rounder by the time all is said and done.  I think for Trent. 

I don’t want them to move down though unless they have the exact same grade on a few players and they can pick up a pick or two and get one of their guys. Won’t know that until the day of.  

Id much prefer they stay put and take the highest rates player on their board than move back and get more lower rates guys.  

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Im pretty convinced we’ll have a 2nd rounder by the time all is said and done.  I think for Trent. 

I don’t want them to move down though unless they have the exact same grade on a few players and they can pick up a pick or two and get one of their guys. Won’t know that until the day of.  

Id much prefer they stay put and take the highest rates player on their board than move back and get more lower rates guys.  

Yeah I am not swearing by Tua's injury history.  It just struck me that the ankle has been played down big time for what its worth.

I do think the Tua issue is going to end up relevant as we get closer to the draft.  I think they ultimately stay put and end up taking Chase.  But I do suspect that they will weigh over Tua in the next two months so it will be a bumpy ride for those who think he should be off the table.  

19 hours ago, KDawg said:

Realistically, if Cincy values Herbert, they try to trade back. Even for minimal return. And that is a problem.

That allows the Lions to jump us for Young. 

Or the Giants.

I am growing on the idea of just drafting Burrow if that happens. You may not ever recoup your 1st rounder for Haskins, and he has shown enough to keep IMO, but if Young goes one I am not passing on Burrow at that point.

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

:ols: I’ve definitely got a problem or two :ols:

Yeah I think we’ll bag a second rounder as well. Ideally a 2+3 or 2+4. So much to go at in this draft. As for moving down, I agree. Young or Tua for that matter, if that is the direction or travel, warrants staying top #2.

Will still be difficult to turn away a haul on offer though. I hope we go all in during free agency so that we enter the draft phase under no real pressure to over complicate our approach.

Archived