Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This is really interesting, but also confusing. How are they quantifying accurate pass?  Alabama had like a 70% completion rate as a team, but only 60% of Jeudy's and 57% of Ruggs targets were accurate?

I'm sure check-downs and passes behind the LOS to RBs inflate overall accuracy percentage.  Also, a completion does not always mean it was an accurate pass.

Albert O with a great time for the 40, 4.49, that propels him especially considering he's a big dude.  Hunter Bryant, 4.75, 4.77, "meh", the extra weight he put on obviously slowed him down.    Cole Kmet, 4.7, good for his size and the style he plays.   I am with DJ, O'Grady looks explosive on film but meh apparently as a runner, in the 4.8's.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Albert O with a great time for the 40, 4.49, that propels him especially considering he's a big dude.  Hunter Bryant, 4.75, 4.77, "meh", the extra weight he put on obviously slowed him down.    Cole Kmet, 4.7, good for his size and the style he plays.   I am with DJ, O'Grady looks explosive on film but meh apparently as a runner, in the 4.8's.

Truatman with the poor times.  That's disappointing.

NFL.com has an unofficial 4.65 for Kmet!  That's surprisingly fast for his size.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

NFL.com has an unofficial 4.65 for Kmet!  That's surprisingly fast for his size.

4.8, not terrible, but not great.  Pickney at 5, that's terrible.  Sullivan in the 4.6's -- that doesn't surprise me.  Considering the dude's superman wingspan to boot, I bet he's a riser.  He didn't have a lot of production at LSU but he looked to me really fluid in the games I watched. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's really good for Kmet IMO, he's a physical blocker, too.  I had him #2 on my list after Trautman previously, this might put him at #1. 

Lack of power 

Oregon C Jake Hanson managed to rip off 33 reps in the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday.

Hanson (6'4/303) may not be as celebrated as some of his fellow Oregon linemen, but he shouldn't be overlooked as a reason why that unit was one of the nation's best in 2019. According to NFL Media's Lance Zierlein, Hanson's lack of "power and mass" is a concern with regard to his prospects at the next level. Putting up a high number in the bench press isn't a bad way to begin to alleviate those concerns if you're Hanson.

Feb 27, 2020, 3:49 PM ET
  •  

I love it and had a pretty good idea that this would happen. The front office is causing a stir with the Skins potentially going after a QB. I'll come back and own it if I am wrong but the Skins have zero interest in taking a QB this year. They are trying to fleece someone into jumping in front of them. I am praying for picking up a pick or two and still getting Young.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me the whole "medical staff clears him" thing doesn't mean as much as it does to others I guess. It doesn't do anything to change my questions as to whether he'll actually be the same guy on the field as before. Throwing in shorts and a tshirt and playing in a game are very different things. It also doesn't do anything to change my worries about his durability in general. He's been injured a bunch of times in college and has now had 3 surgeries due to those injuries. And that's before ever taking a hit in the NFL.

I'd be surprised if most teams didn't have some worries about that as well...especially if it's a team thinking of potentially giving up a bunch of picks to move up for him. That's putting a whole lot of eggs in a somewhat iffy basket. There's no doubting Tua's talent and that he's an electric player when healthy. But there's also no getting around his injury history. 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For what it’s worth, I’d rather see what these dudes squat/clean than bench. But 33 reps @ 225 means you pack some punch.

Yup.

I think it's mostly just an appeal to viewers and not for NFL teams.  Bench has the added benefit of not working the same muscle groups as what you need for everything else.  If you do squats till exhaustion, you might not run/jump/etc the best the next day.

In that vein, I'd probably rather have standing OHP than Bench.

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yup.

I think it's mostly just an appeal to viewers and not for NFL teams.  Bench has the added benefit of not working the same muscle groups as what you need for everything else.  If you do squats till exhaustion, you might not run/jump/etc the best the next day.

In that vein, I'd probably rather have standing OHP than Bench.

Let’s talk scapula & the bench.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Let’s talk scapula & the bench.

You want it retracted with lats “packed”. 

biggest issue with the bench is hand positioning. Elbows in line or out on most of these guys bench presses to maximize reps. When you block you want elbows in.

Does anyone have an opinion on Markus Bailey as a late round pick at LB? He had great production in 2017 and 2018, but has multiple ACL injuries which took him down early this year.

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/purdue-s-bailey-ready-to-return-from-second-acl-tear/article_29b60fd6-5990-11ea-aaaa-cf0e9e5da56a.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

He was granted a medical redshirt his freshman year after missing all but three games as a true freshman because of an ACL tear he suffered during a game. After off-season hip surgery between his junior and senior seasons, he believed his road to recovery was cleared.

Then, as it so often happens, the second ACL tear – this one on the other knee than the one he hurt as a freshman – came on a routine play during practice. He leapt to defend a screen pass and was hit as he landed. Lying on the turf, he knew immediately his year was done.

“The first one (as a freshman), I kinda knew something was wrong,” Bailey said. “This time, I knew exactly what happened right away.”

The good news is Bailey’s rehab is almost complete. He expects to be cleared for “football movements” March 1 and plans to take part in the Boilermakers' Pro Day on April 2, three weeks before the NFL Draft.

This week at the Combine, Bailey will take part in the bench press and meet with teams. He’s already gone through visits with the NFL and club doctors.

He is stressing his football IQ with coaches and his desire to play the sport. While he can’t put his athleticism on display right now, he can prove how well he sees and understands the game he loves.

“I’m a tough player, a smart player, versatile,” he said. “I played under three different defensive coordinators, so I can play a variety of positions in different schemes.

“Football is my avenue for a career and my passion. I’m doing everything I can to get ready and give this my best shot. I’ll work past this adversity. I’m confident in my ability. Wherever I go, I will contribute.”

And what the hell?

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You want it retracted with lats “packed”. 

biggest issue with the bench is hand positioning. Elbows in line or out on most of these guys bench presses to maximize reps. When you block you want elbows in.

I’ve seen arguments for each, mountaindog on youtube is big on rolling the shoulders. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I never paid much attention, I just go lift, but recently I’ve seen this debated & I’m intrigued by it. My best bench was 400, I don’t think I’ll get there again, but I’m interested in seeing if technique changes can help me improve, I have never been much of a technician. 🤔

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’ve seen arguments for each, mountaindog on youtube is big on rolling the shoulders. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I never paid much attention, I just go lift, but recently I’ve seen this debated & I’m intrigued by it. My best bench was 400, I don’t think I’ll get there again, but I’m interested in seeing if technique changes can help me improve, I have never been much of a technician. 🤔

Yes. The answer is yes. You beast you.

Hypothetically, Detroit offers #3+Hockenson for #2 (where they take Chase Young).  Miami Offers #26+2021 2nd rounder for #3 to take Tua.  Giants take Willis at #4. We take Okudah at #5.  We take Patrick Queen at #26.

Is Okudah+Queen+Hockenson+2021 2nd enough to pass on Chase Young?

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm sure check-downs and passes behind the LOS to RBs inflate overall accuracy percentage.  Also, a completion does not always mean it was an accurate pass.

One of the reasons I have fallen for Ruggs; watching Tua he was not as accurate as I thought he’d be, but Ruggs was special on inaccurate passes.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes. The answer is yes. You beast you.

I am genuinely interested in figuring out the best way to lift, until about 3 months ago I didn’t realize there was any technique to benching at all, though I always wondered what the guys with arched backs were doing. 

I need coach Kdawg-Gaither to assist. Chest day tomorrow in Berlin MD, be there. 

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, Detroit offers #3+Hockenson for #2 (where they take Chase Young).  Miami Offers #26+2021 2nd rounder for #3 to take Tua.  Giants take Willis at #4. We take Okudah at #5.  We take Patrick Queen at #26.

Is Okudah+Queen+Hockenson+2021 2nd enough to pass on Chase Young?

Need the #1 in 2021.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And that’s why Mel Kiper isn’t a GM.  I’m hearing people want to make a deal with Miami.  They have three first round picks.  Two of them are low first round.  It’s not worth it.  Take the “sure thing.”   Then go for a tight end, and imo, draft a center.

Archived