Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Do you know of any Claypool games which show his blocking?  I only saw 2, but there was basically no blocking in either of them.  Bryan Edwards on the other hand, had some good blocking snaps.

As a receiver, he hasn't blocked much. But he has the frame to be taught how to do it and developed. We did it with Niles Paul. Niles turned out okay, and Claypool is a better player than him in my opinion. There are other very good tight ends who will have a better overall skillset. But I think Claypool has potential to be the best of them all based on his athleticism and receiving skills and body frame. I have no problem with some of the other options SIP has listed, though. 

I guess I've been blissfully ignorant of McShay's stance on Haskins in 2019.  I don't really feel like googling it, so I'm just going to assume he stopped watching Haskins after his relief outings against the Giants/Vikings earlier in the season.

I'd assume he's on the side of "two games against bad pass D's with an extinct regime doesn't matter all that much.". That's somewhat where I am, too. People think I'm harsher than I am on Dwayne. I think he can be good. But I didn't see anything LAST season to lead me to believe he's the guy. That doesn't mean he can't/won't be, though.

But that 2018 comparison isn't relevant to the 2020 draft.  Tua had another season in college, and Haskins had one in the NFL.  The 2019 seasons have to be factored in.

For the games they were both on the field, I don't think that helps Haskins in the convo. But it's so hard to compare a pro vs. a collegiate athlete. It's so different. People give the XFL guys ****, but what they're playing is closer to NFL football than college football is. I'd honestly bring in Jordan Ta'amu or PJ Walker for a looksie. I don't think those guys are world beaters, but they're playing against pros, not college kids. Top of the line pros? No. But pros. 

That doesn't sound right does it?  There was a long courtship period between Rivera, Snyder, Gibbs, etc.  As far as I've heard, there was no other coach who was being courted, let alone to the point he was being offered the job.

I feel like McShay is just making this up...

I doubt that. I bet there were more than a few guys in talks. Just seems like Rivera was Snyder's guy. Doesn't mean others weren't in the process.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As a receiver, he hasn't blocked much. But he has the frame to be taught how to do it and developed. We did it with Niles Paul. Niles turned out okay, and Claypool is a better player than him in my opinion. There are other very good tight ends who will have a better overall skillset. But I think Claypool has potential to be the best of them all based on his athleticism and receiving skills and body frame. I have no problem with some of the other options SIP has listed, though.

Claypool as a WR is (imo) a better prospect than Niles Paul as a WR.  Not arguing that at all.  But Niles Paul played on a run first, run second, and run third Nebraska team.  There were plenty of reps on tape, of Niles Paul going after corners as a blocker.

2019 Notre Dame ran the ball 52.6% of the time.  That sounds like a run heavy team, but...

2010 Nebraska ran the ball 69% of the time.  They ran it 622 times and only threw the ball 280 times. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched Uche but loved what I've read about him.  I've watched Diggs and I like him but he's not my favorite CB post Okudah.

Trying to think who are my guys so to speak?

I think I started the Edwards-Helaire stuff here. Love him as a player but I doubt we take him so that's all in vein. 

Arnette -- but the character stuff concerns me

O'Grady (as a late round grab):  character issues, too so don't think they take him.

Bryan Edwards:  love him, but he broke his foot, doubt they take him now 

Patrick Queen -- I think I was one of the first raving about him but alas I don't think we will be taking him

I think I am the leader of the Akeem-Davis push.

I need a guy who I think they will actually take.  😀  

Ignoring the obvious stud prospects, I am with a few people here big on Mims  and Trautman and Jaylon Johnson and Noah Igbinhohne and Ashtyn Davis and Tyler Johnson, and bunch of receivers who I am holding back on from being all in until I see their 40 times today.   I think I've dived into the TEs here the most.  I like a bunch of the TEs (but don't love any) but their 40 times are key for me:  Kmet, Harrison Bryant, Hunter Bryant (if he can still run after bulking up), Hopkins - lower rounds I do like Pickney and maybe Albert O (I want to see what he runs), I go back and forth on him.

Thus far my list would include:

Uche ( @Anselmheifer is somewhat in, I believe)

Diggs (Though I think he will still go in round 1, many mocks have him in mid 2 🤔)

Weaver ( @skinny21 )

Jackson

McTelvin

Highsmith 

Bryant

Davion Taylor

Levante Bellamy

Antoine Brooks

Darrell Taylor

Akers ( @The Consigliere )

Adeniji

Jennings

Hennessy

Joshua Kelley

Levanta Taylor

Then guys who have moved up too much or gained too much love not to share:

Simmons (Used to be alone with him in my top 5, but Kdawg showed him more love recently while I was up late at night watching McTelvin Agim 😕)

Young (Nearly made a rivals.com analyst weep, in Baltimore, while laughing at him for ranking so many DeMatha prospects ahead of chase... I gave the same guy a hard time for Rakim Jarrett, who later got moved from nowhere to a 5 star & the year before it was Darrian Dalcourt he had ranked outside of his top 20... in the state of Maryland. Few things are more hilarious than talking with rivals.com scouts.)

Wirfs (Everyone is in)

Dugger (Everyone is in)

McFarland (Errrrybody here loves Antman)

Thomas (Everyone is in)

Murray (Became popular later in the season)

LSU offensive Line

Guys I’m later on that I love:

Ruggs

Guys I don’t like that are loved:

Burrow

I’m certain there are others for these lists, but those come to mind right away. Still need to watch the Sr bowl, shrine bowl, and a million other games. 

On 1/30/2020 at 1:40 AM, volsmet said:

Cam Gill

A couple mentions in this thread, Akeem Davis Gaither, he’d look good in DC

Here is where the Gaither love began, and Kdawg adopted him immediately.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For the games they were both on the field, I don't think that helps Haskins in the convo. But it's so hard to compare a pro vs. a collegiate athlete. It's so different. People give the XFL guys ****, but what they're playing is closer to NFL football than college football is. I'd honestly bring in Jordan Ta'amu or PJ Walker for a looksie. I don't think those guys are world beaters, but they're playing against pros, not college kids. Top of the line pros? No. But pros. 

Mike Mayock had a bit about why college WR's often struggle as rookies in the Pro's.  Haskins was in a similar boat as those WR's.  Coaches on the sideline would flash signals, WR's would look to the sideline for how to line up and then what route to run.  Haskins would look to the sideline, see the concept OSU was running, then do his pre-snap check for protections.

In terms of decision making, Tua was responsible for more things pre-snap and post-snap than Dwayne.  In 2018, Tua was a less risky prospect with a higher floor because of that.  He was simply more developed.  You could have more faith that Tua would adapt to more nuanced pre-snap and post-snap reads that are required in the NFL.

In 2018 Haskins (and his WR's) were looking to the sideline for the playcall, alignments, concepts, etc.  You weren't sure how Haskins would handle and assimilate how the NFL does playcalls, pre-snap and post-snap reads.

Haskins going into 2020 is not the same player as the 2019 Haskins leaving college.  He's had a lot more responsibility thrown onto his plate, and while the growth was awkward, you can see Haskins was slowly picking up how to operate in an NFL offense.

That's why Gettleman drafted Daniel Jones.  He thought one of the riskiest things a team does in drafting QB's, is not knowing if they can adapt to how you have to operate an NFL offense as a QB.  He felt confident that risk was removed with Jones.  He was there at the Senior Bowl, watching Jones go through things with NFL coaches and how he operated, and he felt the floor was so high for Jones that he had to take him.

Haskins showed enough development in that area, for me to say that if Haskins was re-entering the 2020 draft, he'd be a wildly better prospect than a year prior.  Of course he still has work to do in the previously mentioned areas (let alone other issues).

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I'll take the Chargers. Why the heck not.

Kdawg now in the ES draft, time to work on my smokescreens. 

On an unrelated note, the Bills are said to be looking at Kickers in round 1 & Shae Patterson in round 2.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/28794087/sources-gators-wr-van-jefferson-jones-fracture-right-foot

Jefferson will undergo surgery next week in Green Bay with renown foot doctor Dr. Robert Anderson. Jefferson is projected to be sidelined 6-8 weeks, but is expected to be healthy long before training camp. Jefferson is considered a Day 2 draft, and still is, per one league source.

The injury was previously undetected and Jefferson was asymptomatic, which makes the injury something of a mystery. Jefferson had been working out and looking forward to participating in the combine in all drills, coming off a strong season and Senior Bowl performance.

Jefferson might have been able to do the drills at the combine, but doctors did not want the injury to get worse and disqualified him for liability purposes.

"This is a common injury in football players, and is correctable," said Kevin Farmer, a doctor at the University if Florida. "We look forward to helping Van get back to football activities as soon as possible."

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Haskins showed enough development in that area, for me to say that if Haskins was re-entering the 2020 draft, he'd be a wildly better prospect than a year prior.  Of course he still has work to do in the previously mentioned areas (let alone other issues).

I don't disagree here.

But I still don't think he's a better prospect than Tua. 

Of course, the injuries then come into play and we have to see how that whole thing shakes out. 

I will say this: I am VERY intrigued by seeing what Haskins has accomplished this offseason. I am hoping he learned from his rookie year, took a lot of knowledge away from his first full year (come April) in the NFL, and is ready to make great things happen. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Kdawg now in the ES draft, time to work on my smokescreens. 

On an unrelated note, the Bills are said to be looking at Kickers in round 1 & Shae Patterson in round 2.

I was just gonna draft every defensive end in the draft to keep them away from all of you. 

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Mike Mayock had a bit about why college WR's often struggle as rookies in the Pro's.  Haskins was in a similar boat as those WR's.  Coaches on the sideline would flash signals, WR's would look to the sideline for how to line up and then what route to run.  Haskins would look to the sideline, see the concept OSU was running, then do his pre-snap check for protections.

In terms of decision making, Tua was responsible for more things pre-snap and post-snap than Dwayne.  In 2018, Tua was a less risky prospect with a higher floor because of that.  He was simply more developed.  You could have more faith that Tua would adapt to more nuanced pre-snap and post-snap reads that are required in the NFL.

Mike Locksley called plays for the guy & he almost won the Heisman, he has proven all a guy can prove. 

The NCAA recently made rule changes to keep colleges from hiring parents to help recruit their sons... a bit before this happened, Maryland was recruiting Mike Locksley’s son, and his son opted to go 1500 miles away from his pops. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I was just gonna draft every defensive end in the draft to keep them away from all of you. 

If you draft a Vol, I’m going to pay ESers to start reporting all of your posts.

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This guys is supposedly rising as a prospect:

If Geno Stone is rising, then this guy is being slept on (imo):

Stone is getting buzz all over the place, I have yet to see him. I brought up Reed with some clips about a month ago, he’s a interesting prospect.

Two of the most challenging projections in the class: Terrell Lewis and Nick Coe.  Look at these measurements,

Nick Coe - 6-4 5/8 - 280 lbs - Arm  = 33 6/8" - Wingspan = 80 6/8"

Terrell Lewis - 6-5 2/8 - 262 lbs - Arm = 33 7/8" - Wingspan = 83 4/8"

They are massive.  You can really see Terrell Lewis's ridiculous shoulders quantified in that 7'1 wingspan measurement.  The traits are so appealing for these two, in a similar way to Epenesa and Kinlaw.  But the tape is just a nightmare, particularly for Coe.  He's a first or second round body with UDFA film.  He's coming off an awful season and I wonder what went wrong for him as he was worse than the year before.  In the sixth or seventh round, I'd be temped to draft him.  But his trainers and coaches have their work cut out for them, as he's a long term project that's essentially starting from scratch.  If he works out, then you've got a freakishly powerful book end who could be a dominant run defender and, eventually, an imposing power rusher.  But he's probably like four years away from being that guy even if everything goes well for him and he really learns the game.  More likely than not, he won't turn into anything.  The league moves on really quickly from guys who don't know how to play.

Lewis is similar but better.  The injuries really wiped out his development track, as it's pretty clear he still doesn't really know how to play the game.  Watching Alabama, I keep thinking if he knew how to play like Anfernee Jennings, he'd have a chance at going top ten.  But everything from the ball get off, to setting his up for his fits, to the rush, to the repertoire, to finding the football, etc. is all undeveloped.  I think he goes day 2, but I wouldn't take him before day 3.  Just way too much risk there.

Cincinnati TE Josiah Deguara has been asked by at least one team to work out at running back during this week's NFL Scouting Combine.

Deguara (6'2/242) was the best tight end in the American last season, earning first team all-conference honors after catching 39 passes for 504 yards and seven touchdowns. And there are some, from NFL Media's Lance Zierlein to NFL scouts, who believe that he could merits consideration as an H-back at the next level. With that being the case it's no surprise that Deguara will be working some with the running backs this week. Showing positional versatility would likely improve his chances of being drafted come April.

SOURCE: NFL.com
Feb 27, 2020, 2:42 PM ET
  •  

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No to Tua and Mel Kiper's respectability was questioned after his debacle with Tobin.

A healthy Tua at 2 has become popular among the masses, it’s hardly just Kiper. A charge led here, the Turona virus has been unleashed. 

Just now, volsmet said:

A healthy Tua at 2 has become popular among the masses, it’s hardly just Kiper. A charge led here, the Turona virus has been unleashed. 

LOL.  I like your sense of humor, seriously (Turona virus).  Don't think it happens, bro.   :) 

Archived