Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

What I really like about Jordan Mack is his block anticipation... Meaning, he reads his key, scrapes and then seems to key to OL for which direction the lineman's hips are going to get an idea of where he is being walled off. Mack is really good at seeing that, and therefore getting hands on in the right place and putting himself in position to make a play. I like that. 

I really like Hightower. If the team is going to target a receiver, he's similar to the mold I would target in the later rounds. Good height, good focus, sees the field well. Seems like he plays the X most of the time, but goes Z for jets. I think he benefits from the lesser competition he routinely seemed to face as he was often just the best athlete on the field in those games. I also think he's real light in the pants at 175 pounds, and he looks smaller because he's ****ing 6-3. Intriguing guy, for sure.

RE: Bituli - Sorry vols, you're not going to like this...

I think he takes some really sloppy attack angles because he anticipates where the ball carrier is going poorly. He's aggressive and athletic, which gets him back in the thick of things after a dubious start. I'm not sure how that holds up at the next level. On the first play of the clip he thinks he's going to have the speed to attack the inside shoulder of the slot, get under him, and still get to the ball carrier. By doing that, he essentially takes himself out of the play. He could have engaged heads up and once the back broke out ripped strong and been in a much better position, or used a head fake, dip and rip technique to get a clean release to the back and still wall off cut back opportunity and/or get in on the tackle by playing the upfield shoulder.

He seems to do that a lot. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

RE: Bituli - Sorry vols, you're not going to like this...

I think he takes some really sloppy attack angles because he anticipates where the ball carrier is going poorly. He's aggressive and athletic, which gets him back in the thick of things after a dubious start. I'm not sure how that holds up at the next level. On the first play of the clip he thinks he's going to have the speed to attack the inside shoulder of the slot, get under him, and still get to the ball carrier. By doing that, he essentially takes himself out of the play. He could have engaged heads up and once the back broke out ripped strong and been in a much better position, or used a head fake, dip and rip technique to get a clean release to the back and still wall off cut back opportunity by playing the upfield shoulder.

He seems to do that a lot. 

18512D47-8A8C-4212-A368-ADEC0A353490.gif

RE: Bronson Steiner (Is his name actually Rechsteiner? If so, that's explains Rick Steiner's name... But where did Scott Steiner come from? Or does he go by Scotsteiner in real life? I'm so confused)

I mean, he ran well. But, and maybe I didn't watch enough... but... is there any video of the guy blocking for us to evaluate him as a fullback?

Akeem Davis-Gaither is my current dude in this draft.

But really, I like the hyphenated names. They add spunk. Or something. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

RE: Bronson Steiner (Is his name actually Rechsteiner? If so, that's explains Rick Steiner's name... But where did Scott Steiner come from? Or does he go by Scotsteiner in real life? I'm so confused)

I mean, he ran well. But, and maybe I didn't watch enough... but... is there any video of the guy blocking for us to evaluate him as a fullback?

There aren’t many things more useless than highlights of a fb taking dives to the house. 

151B41D3-B39D-40C0-A1BA-80A985660D4E.gif

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There aren’t many things more useless than highlights of a fb taking dives to the house. 

Next will be a deep dive on into a new advanced statistic: The Gatorader. Named in honor of the auspicious Dominator ranking, the Gatorader deep dives into the preferred Gatorade color of choice for each particular player and trends which color tends to lead to more success within each position group.

All I know is that if Steiner prefers blue, we're screwed.

18 hours ago, volsmet said:

Thanks.  On my end, I know what other draftnick types think about him.  I read that stuff typically after I watch the player to see where I fall.   I don't land on a hard opinion until I watch the player myself.   I flat out said some love him. Some not as much so.   Count me in the same crowd who wonders about his speed/agility versus thinking he's a natural twitchy athlete.   

That's why I said for him and Collin Johnson I am reserving final judgment until after the combine.   For me at least it's hard to judge speed-agility with long strider types which both of those players are.    On tape, I liked Tyler Johnson and Michael Pittman better than both of those dudes (Collin and Golden) but for those two as well I want to see what they do in the combine.  The tall long-striders who strike me more possession types in the NFL unless I am underestimating their explosiveness which I might be -- need to see their speed.  Hence I keep saying the combine fascinates me this year for certain players including Golden.  

Watching him, I like his physicality a lot (contested catches, YAC) as I mentioned but he doesn't strike me as a twitchy separator.   And for me separation skills is the trait that i favor the most.  And I know some draft geek types agree with me on that point and some don't.   For me if he shows in the combine that he's an athlete it would sell me probably.   If he's slow on the 3 cone and runs a 4.65 40, then I am out on him.   I feel the same on the other 3 possession type receiver which i like their hands, length, catch radius and with some their physicality but wonder about separation skills/speed. 

He's a big dude and put up big numbers albeit against inferior competition.  My concern is athleticism.  That's why I said to me right now he looks like a "decent" prospect but i am not signing up for great or likely bust until I see his combine. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/antonio-gandy-golden/QfVYwrznvA

Route Running: Below-average route runner both in terms of variety and the execution thereof. Asked to run slants, comebacks, and nine routes, almost exclusively from outside alignments. Does not have plus movement skills to snap off breaks and is often lethargic through angles; stems too far outside/inside when looking to generate leverage and limits his own space to work with. Does not seem to have a good sense of timing on slants and will get lazy with his footwork/landmarks, again limiting his own space. Projects to a very limited NFL role accordingly.

Release: Struggles mightily against press coverage. Bellies out far and wide when looking to avoid contact but lacks the necessary quicks to separate from contact. Stays upright through punches and allows opponent to get into his frame, stemming his vertical push and rerouting his path down the field. Does recruit his hands to help disengage but all too often gets into shoving/hand-fighting situations that can lead to penalties and fail to generate separation. Has subpar foot speed and does not have any release moves outside of a jab step.

Functional Athleticism: Not an inspiring NFL athlete. Does not have the linear acceleration or long speed to be a downfield separator, 

https://fanspeak.com/nfldraftnews/2020/01/07/is-liberty-wr-antonio-gandy-golden-a-day-3-player-or-courtland-sutton-2-0/

The issue, according to Walter Football’s Charlie Campbell, is speed. Until Gandy-Golden works out for teams, there will remain questions about whether he’s fast enough to separate from NFL cornerbacks.

From Charlie Campbell’s latest Hot Press Report:

“… (M)ultiple team sources say they have graded Gandy-Golden in the mid-rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft because of speed concerns,”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-liberty-wr-gandy-golden-good/

except for separation – perhaps the most important trait in a modern receiver. Now that’s not to say he can’t separate – he’s definitely shown he can. But with average speed and a limited route tree, there are times when he struggles to get open – and that’s a definite concern as he approaches the next level.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Arizona takes on the cap hit from the signing bonus so it’s only $11mm this year and we can cut him with no dead cap hit next year. 

AZ has the 40th pick, which is the top of the 2nd round. Given all our needs and the strengths of this class, it makes a ton of sense to think long term and have a cost controlled asset for 4 years who can be an immediate contributor, while only spending $11mm in one year to do it. 

I can't see Arizona giving up a 2nd round pick just to get Johnson's contract off the books.

Maybe they'd do it for a 3rd, but no way they'd give up a 2nd.

For the record, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat for a 2nd or third. That solves our 3rd down back problem for a $11 mil one year rental, and adds a pick. We've got the cap space.. Just imagine moving Trent for a 2nd and somehow finagling Arizona's 2nd.. one of those top 5 tackles will surely drop, and there's Trent's replacement..

Listening to Friday’s SticktoFootball episode and Matt Miller saying it’s the best WR class he’s ever seen. He has 10 in his top 40 and 19 in his top 100. That’s insane. There will be a high quality WR available at pick 66. Almost feel like that’s gotta be the pick unless you feel good about one being there at 4.2

He also referenced Donovan Peoples-Jones as someone post-combine who a lot of people are going to wonder how he didn’t do more at Michigan (Miller thinks Shea Patterson is trash). 

also mentioned how guys like the WR from Arkansas State who would normanlly be drafted could very likely not go this year and it

sucks because it’s a numbers game and you’ll have 30-35 WRs picked and there are probably 40 guys worth drafting. 

Does anyone have an opinion on Troy Pride Jr? I haven't dug into him yet, he's usually around in the 4th in most mocks, but according to some will be gone in the 2nd. From what I read the short story on him is the dude is fast as hell (4.3 speed) and will stay in the hip pocket of near any receiver, but he can't make plays on the ball for **** and lacks strength. The article above calls him the Terry McClaurin of this year's DB class.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am aware of the receivers you mention.  I've written my own profiles on them and plenty of others, too.  I agree its a deep draft at WR.   But it's irrelevant to the point at hand.  There is no chance we take Ruggs unless we trade down.  So this isn't about the Redskins.  He's not going to be there in the early third IMO.  NFL scouts clearly don't just ride off of the dominator scale so I think Ruggs is going early mid first to mid 2nd.   

Ruggs should get elevated because of "Alabama" but not for image reasons as you allude to but because it was a loaded receiving corp.  There are clear limits IMO to the dominator scale.   For example, I like Reagor a lot.  Yet, I'd take Ruggs over him.   Yeah I know Reagor scores higher on the dominator scale but its not hard to find reasons for that that don't require much imagination.   

The lack of a breakout is a major issue. Maybe he'll overcome it. the speed, the role on special teams, are all pieces that help his profile, but the lack of consistent use is a problem. Some guys manage to slip through anyway, maybe he's one, but that's long odds to me. I definitely like Reagor more, ticks every box. That's what you want. Do agree that it's irrelevant to us unless we make trades. No picks between 2nd overall and sixtysomething barring a trade down. Would say if I knew Ruggs was a selection in a trade down scenario, I'd be 1000% against the trade down, but I imagine that's obvious. 

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

also mentioned how guys like the WR from Arkansas State who would normanlly be drafted could very likely not go this year and it

sucks because it’s a numbers game and you’ll have 30-35 WRs picked and there are probably 40 guys worth drafting. 

XFL gonna stock up on WR talent.

Hopefully they find some QBs to replace the ones who are going to get NFL looks (at least in camp). I have a feeling Cardale, Landry, Ta'Amu and PJ Walker are going to get NFL looks. 

Eli Rogers, Nelson Spruce, Austin Proehl are among some of the receivers who can get looks.

Cameron Artis-Payne at RB. The XFL is going to have to go hard at the guys who get cut after training camp. They have to make sure they are stocking QB talent. if they manage to pull it off, the league can be successful as hell. 

I wouldn't be as worried defensively. The offense is what will keep that league going. And I think that league is going to be real nice for guys to get pro experience on film, even if its not NFL pro... It's a better look against pro talent than NCAA tape. 

SIP - yeah, that’s one thing that I think is just a bit off about one particular argument for not trading down... essentially that we’re bypassing ‘elite’, for just ‘good’.  I’m not sure if Okudah is an elite prospect (he may be), but I believe he’s at least an excellent one.

Don’t really want to get into trade down talk here (there’s a more appropriate thread for that), particularly since I don’t see a trade back happening and I’m leaning hard toward drafting Young anyway.  Really hope the Giants take an OT instead.  There’s hope on that front with Gettleman at the helm, but corner is such a huge need for them.  I could also see them trading out of the pick, which I have mixed feelings about.  

Anywho, anyone see Tyler Johnson’s numbers re. breakout age/dominator rating?  Holy cow.  

@JamesMadisonSkins Peoples-Jones is an interesting one for sure.  I do get a vibe semi-similar to McLaurin in terms of his situation - ie. I think his production (or lack thereof) is a product of his surroundings, and he has the talent/athleticism to surprise.  

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't care who the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles get. You have to account for them, but you can't do anything to change it unless you're willing to jeopardize your own position. 

It's a part of football. Kick your ass no matter who you have! :)

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't care who the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles get. You have to account for them, but you can't do anything to change it unless you're willing to jeopardize your own position. 

It's a part of football. Kick your ass no matter who you have! :)

I assume you mean “kick their ass” :)

I agree though.  We have a lot of ground to make up for sure, but we have the coaching, and are in a solid position in terms of resources and given how young much of our team is (and how much experience they got last year).  My one thing is I want to see this FO having an eye toward the future.  I get/applaud wanting to be competitive from the get go, I just don’t want to be shortsighted in the effort to do so.  Rivera’s got a long leash though, so I have to assume he (and Smith et al) will be looking hard at this.  

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

A wet rack on a Centurian AX would definitely qualify as one of those things, though. (Want to see if anyone gets that reference  and Awaiting the confusion emoji's).

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I assume you mean “kick their ass” :)

I agree though.  We have a lot of ground to make up for sure, but we have the coaching, and are in a solid position in terms of resources and given how young much of our team is (and how much experience they got last year).  My one thing is I want to see this FO having an eye toward the future.  I get/applaud wanting to be competitive from the get go, I just don’t want to be shortsighted in the effort to do so.  Rivera’s got a long leash though, so I have to assume he (and Smith et al) will be looking hard at this.  

Nope. Your. As in, whoever opposes us. Us as in, us. The people. And by people, I mean all of us who support the Redskins. 

1 minute ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Burrow talking about he has leverage...it doesnt seem so clear cut and dry he wants to be first overall pick. I'm thinking they may trade down or pick tua or still pick burrow. I hope they pick burrow. 

Source it, please, so I can read and enjoy!

Archived