Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jimmy Moreland CB James Madison

Wildbunny

On 8/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, RandyHolt said:

When is the last time a ball hawk rookie had an INT count worthy of our drooling over the DB from draft day forward.  I am too lazy to compile a list but I know Rambo was one.

He wasn't a ball hawk at all, but Jarrett should always get an honorable mention, anytime the discussion involves DB's and rookies.

Not to rain on the parade, but with KJ a 6th rounder with only 6 starts - I am surprised to learn that many saw potential greatness.  I love seeing young DBs flying around but I obviously missed him doing his thing.  But the stream of DBs we love in their rookie campaign seems almost an annual event, right?  This year its Moreland, of course. Fuller. Dunbar. That is just recent. Rambo

No to Justin Tryon.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Not to rain on the parade, but with KJ a 6th rounder with only 6 starts - I am surprised to learn that many saw potential greatness.  I love seeing young DBs flying around but I obviously missed him doing his thing.  But the stream of DBs we love in their rookie campaign seems almost an annual event, right?  This year its Moreland, of course. Fuller. Dunbar. That is just recent. Rambo

No to Justin Tryon.

Fuller was the top slot corner in the league.  As a rookie sophomore (thank you @skinny21 for the correction).  The rest of your list works, though.

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Fuller was the top slot corner in the league.  As a rookie.  The rest of your list works, though.

His 2nd year actually. His rookie year wasn’t anything to write home about, though he needed more time for his knee to get right, so it made sense he struggled a bit initially.  

Stroman surprised me as a rookie.  He wasn’t great or anything, but to start in the slot as a late round rookie... I thought he did well all things considered.  

14 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Fuller was the top slot corner in the league.  As a rookie.  The rest of your list works, though.

Thanks.  IIRC, didn't Fuller had his struggles in KC?  I think he wasn't used in the slot. NFL stands for not for long - easy come easy go. I have always been amazed at how 200 pound corners survive though. They have a tough job. In run support they seem to often take on pulling OL. And have to hit RBs coming at full speed, including loads. I bet they are damn happy FBs have largely been replaced by tiny WRs working the slot.

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

His 2nd year actually. His rookie year wasn’t anything to write home about, though he needed more time for his knee to get right, so it made sense he struggled a bit initially.  

Stroman surprised me as a rookie.  He wasn’t great or anything, but to start in the slot as a late round rookie... I thought he did well all things considered.  

Yep, you're right, it was his second year, thank you.  Corrected.

To @RandyHolt's point, there really does seem to be someone we all fawn over every year.  One year we'll get it right and Bruce won't trade him and a 3rd for our most expensive player to play 10 games and then basically be career-ending.  No, he couldn't have known it, I'm just still pissed that we sent Fuller.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:50 AM, HOF44 said:

Can’t believe they let 27 out Ken Houston was a Hall of Farmer. Well he’ll let them all out now. We need a new 44. 

I'm curious what the criteria is for making a number untouchable , Is it the Hall of fame ? What about winning a Super Bowl & league MVP like Joe T ? A tragedy like ST ? What about Monk, too many achievements to list ? What about Charles Mann and Dexter Manley the two finest pass rushers i ever saw play for the Redskins , 71 & 72 been used for years ? Greens 28 nope. Sonny 's #9 has been used , I think.....

I'm pretty sure at the end of the day if its a household name..... The player who wore the ""sacred" number needs to give his blessing .

I honestly am not one of those fans who is hung up on jersey numbers. I wanted Landon Collins to wear 21, I Think its cool we get to see another #7 at QB and yes a #44 at running-back would be nostalgic. 

I will say this though, if you are a young player requesting a LEGENDS jersey number you better dam well live up to expectations. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I can see Jimmy making a big pick this Sunday, maybe off a deflection.....and taking it to the house. Put this kid on the field to run with DJax.....

Let Dunbar run with Djax all game and Madison in slot role and be a playmaker around the line of scrimmage.

Its fascinating how a limited few can do their job while attempting to make a game changing play.

Example, tackle while trying to create a fumble, play the ball in the air, jump patterns etc.. Playing the game steps ahead of the rest. It appears Jimmy has this trait.

I speculate many tv screens will be on the receiving of many, “come on Jimmy, one time... make a play”. A big deal for a rookie to have already established this place in our mental networks. 

Come on Jimmy, one time!!!!!!

On 8/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, RandyHolt said:

I will keep expectations in check expecting more bend don't break this year.  We will get our INTs on errant throws or batted balls like last night.  Yes I was expecting that to be Moreland not Montae last night.

When is the last time a ball hawk rookie had an INT count worthy of our drooling over the DB from draft day forward.  I am too lazy to compile a list but I know Rambo was one.

I honestly have been thinking about Chris Horton, Phillip Thomas and Bakari Rambo this offseason in comparison to Moreland. Not that they're anything alike in terms of type of player but the hype for a low round DB has be uneasy. And it'd be different if he was still "earning his stripes" but he's about to start week 1? I have a feeling we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. I saw his preseason play and he made a lot of plays, but they weren't like plays to prevent a pass. He was making tackles on the ball and causing fumbles but those are more like Josh Norman type plays and I was looking for more of an impact cover corner type. I don't expect him to be DG and shut down half the field from the getgo but I do worry that we're relying so much on him at the beginning of the season. 

On a related note, and I'm going to contradict myself with this, but I feel like we're relying a lot on our scouting staff being REALLY good with the number of low round and UDFAs we have playing a prominent role on our team. I mean Matt I (proven), SDH, Holcomb, JHC, Stroman, Moreland, Davis, Sims, Quinn, Roullier (proven), Martin, Ross, Sprinkle. They aren't all receiving dominant roles on the team and I love to see young low round guys get a chance and prove themselves and earn a starting role, but this is a number of guys that other teams passed on A NUMBER OF TIMES that we're counting on to help rebuild this team. Do we have a backup plan that accounts for their learning curves, or the possibility that they may not be as good as we think? 

I mean I look at ILB and we either have the steals of the league or we are REALLY in a bad position. Holcomb, SDH and JHC are all cheap labor who could be phenominal but they could also be just guys and expose our defense as not legit. Same goes with Stroman and Moreland. All it takes is one weak link in a defense, one mismatch and the other team will exploit it and take advantage of us. 

17 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I honestly have been thinking about Chris Horton, Phillip Thomas and Bakari Rambo this offseason in comparison to Moreland. Not that they're anything alike in terms of type of player but the hype for a low round DB has be uneasy. And it'd be different if he was still "earning his stripes" but he's about to start week 1? ....

Great post. The power of twitter can no longer be denied.

Getting streaming camp reports with 4 beatniks repeating the same thing heavily sway expectations.   Heck we don't even know if the WRs were giving their all on his INTs. It may be Richardson jogging down the field afraid to jump and pull a hammy.  And, we don't know if Jimmy broke off his responsibility or zone and improvised, and got a little hand slap from Ryan afterwards.

If I were the Eagles OC and see he is the starting corner I am going to run right at him before going deep on him. GB Sweep Left.

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If I were the Eagles OC and see he is the starting corner I am going to run right at him before going deep on him. GB Sweep Left.

Well thats the point though. 
 - I'd attack the middle (ILBs)
 - I'd attack Moreland
 - cover Richardson, Reed and (probably) McLauren and force them to use Quinn and Sims

We're more of a bottom heavy team and it seems like an easy strategy early in the season would be to force the Redskins to rely on their low round rookies. Its a larger version of forcing us to rely on our rookies, but we have so many low round picks and UDFAS teams can just say beat us with your nonames. 

It'll take a bit of time with Jimmy and a reminder we can't just throw Moreau aside. The guy was seen as having first round talent until he blew his ACL his senior year of college. Cooley has stated he thinks Moreau has been miscast as a slot corner and looks better on the outside - this is an important season for learning the future of the position on this team. Assuming we let Norman go after this year, we will need to know whether Moreau is one of the young guys we lock up to a long term extension

Jimmy has chance to make his mark this weekend.Nothing I'd like to see more than the peoples corner have his coming out party on the girls.Come on Jimmy take this opportunity and leave Dunbar or Monroe on the bench the rest of the year.I predict Jimmy's first pick six in the NFL comes tomorrow.

Archived