James Madison

moreland_jimmy_18.JPG?width=300

Jimmy Moreland Draft Profile

Height 5' 10"
Weight 179 lbs
Arms 29 5/8”
Hands 9”

Overview

Undersized outside corner by trade who will move inside due to a lack of desired NFL size. Moreland is a ball-hawking playmaker who saw six of his 18 career interceptions turn into touchdowns. He's tenacious and physical from press with the fluidity and speed to hold up in trail technique but his off-man coverage needs work. He's thin and needs more functional mass and strength to play the NFL game, but his ball skills and toughness give him a shot at eventually finding NFL playing time as a press-happy nickel.

Strengths

• Fast with consistent history as playmaker
  • Has 18 career interceptions including six for touchdowns
  • Turned in explosive 39-inch vertical leap at pro day
  • True annoyance in coverage
  • In-your-face press with accurate initial jam
  • Adequate footwork and twitch to dog routes from trail
  • Uses physicality and well-timed reaches into passing lane to disrupt
  • Trusts his eyes
  • Comes off his man to overlap in coverage
  • Rare talent as kick blocker with six total during career

Click on the link for more

I guess we now have two D players from JMU now who won the National championship in 2016 and runner up in 2017.

ANDREW ANKRAH

2017 as a Redshirt Senior: Started all 15 games at defensive line… Team Captain... FCS ADA Defensive Player of the Year... Finished third in voting for STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award… Consensus FCS First Team All-American… FCS ADA All-American, becoming JMU's second player ever to make this team... Associated Press FCS First Team All-American... STATS FCS First Team All-American... AFCA FCS First Team All-American... HERO Sports FCS First Team All-American... CAA Defensive Player of the Year... Touchdown Club of Richmond Division I Defensive Lineman of the Year... First Team All-CAA Defensive Lineman... VaSID First Team All-State... Charles Haley Defensive MVP... Had 59 total tackles (32 solo), to go with 15.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, a defensive touchdown, one pass breakup and four quarterback hurries… Ranked second in the CAA in tackles for loss and tied for fourth in sacks… Had 2.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks against Villanova (Oct. 14) and at Rhode Island (Nov. 4)… Recovered a fumble for his first career touchdown at Delaware (Sept. 30)… Had a full sack in seven games… Also had 2.0 tackles for loss against Norfolk State (Sept. 16) and at Delaware… Had at least 1.0 TFL in nine outings… Three or more tackles in 12 games… STATS FCS Second Team Preseason All-American... Preseason All-CAA selection.

I like the Jimmy Moreland pick. I saw several mocks that had him going as early as the fourth round.  Daniel Jeremiah is high on Moreland and thinks he could be moved to safety, even though he's on the small side.  The kid has mad ball skills.  If Jeremiah is correct and if we see Moreland as a potential free safety, then I'm very very happy.  With the addition of Collins, Sweat, and R. Foster, we are a solid free safety short of a terrific defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029102/article/nfc-east-draft-grades-redskins-eagles-shine-giants-confound

BIGGEST SLEEPER: Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison
Washington Redskins, Round 7, No. 227 overall

Thought about putting Bryce Love in this space. The fourth-round pick showcased rare explosiveness before tearing his ACL last December and could eventually serve as the perfect complement to bruising Redskins RB Derrius Guice. But can a former Heisman runner-up be deemed a sleeper? Not in this file! An undersized cornerback from the FCS, on the other hand? Yeah, that'll do. Moreland's slight stature might force him to move inside at the NFL level, but who cares: Nickel corner is essentially a starting position in 2019. Moreland turned heads at the East-West Shrine Game, earning a late invitation to the Senior Bowl, where he more than held his own. (Deebo Samuel, who ended up going early in the second round, said Moreland was the best cornerback he faced in Mobile.) The JMU product has a nose for the football and a mouth for the pros. Asked how he ended up with 18 interceptions (including five pick-sixes) during his college career, Moreland didn't stutter: "I'm a dog." Indeed. Roll that beautiful ballhawking footage!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Moreland as our slot CB of the future. He has the physical talent, and his size wouldn't be as much of an issue there. He is a dog in coverage, and a ball hawk, and we need more of those in the secondary. 

Archived