Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

That is mortifying! I think it’s a good example of how far we’ve come tbh.

Spurriers first year we went 7-9, ironically last year we went 7-9 also...so how far have we really come? Things that make you go hmmm.

Edited by dyst

33 minutes ago, dyst said:

Spurriers first year we went 7-9, ironically last year we went 7-9 also...so how far have we really come? Things that make you go hmmm.

The Saints went 7-9 for 3 straight seasons and four out of five with Sean Payton as head coach. Are they really even a good team? Are the current Saints really any better than the Saints team that had seven years in a row with a losing record in the 90’s?

I've never been so excited to see a rookie play, who I havn't seen any action from, in preseason ; And virtually nothing on video from camp, either (for me personally).

And never been so excited to see a player play BECAUSE of the fact that he played so little ; because I admit I've fallen for the narrative that TMac is so awesome that he doesn't need the preseason reps. And he's so awesome that we needed to protect him and hide him, throughout all of preseason.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

The Saints went 7-9 for 3 straight seasons and four out of five with Sean Payton as head coach. Are they really even a good team? Are the current Saints really any better than the Saints team that had seven years in a row with a losing record in the 90’s?

Are the Saints better than the Redskins? Do they have a better QB? Do they have a better coach? Have they had more playoff appearances than us in the past 2 decades? How about Superbowl wins since Snyder took over? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

44 minutes ago, dyst said:

Are the Saints better than the Redskins? Do they have a better QB? Do they have a better coach? Have they had more playoff appearances than us in the past 2 decades? How about Superbowl wins since Snyder took over? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The only thing making me go hmmm is how badly you are missing the point. That same team with a better coach, QB, and overall organization endured three straight 7-9 seasons and another one 2 years  before that. Meaning they aren’t that dissimilar to our performance the past 4 years. But that wasn’t even the main point I was trying to make. The point was that just because two different eras of Saints football (Saints in the ‘90s and the current Saints we know today) have stretches of years of losing records, doesn’t at all mean that one team wasn’t more poised to have better long term success than the other. 

The Golden State Warriors prior to the 2012 season had 15 losing seasons out of 17, some years they were downright horrific. I’m surprised they ever got good at basketball. The Rams prior to McVay hadn’t been to the playoffs since 2002. They weren’t exactly the model franchise of the 2000’s and spent the better half of 2 decades with top 10 draft picks. I could sit here all day and come up of examples of teams that endured tremendously long poor stretches in their franchise history only to finally turn a corner. The point is just because we were 7-9 with Spurrier in 2002 doesn’t mean we should act like this franchise is on the same path today just because they have had a couple 7-9 seasons in a row. And just because a team has been bad for a long time doesn’t mean that will always remain the case. 

• Thanks 5

10 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

That is mortifying! I think it’s a good example of how far we’ve come tbh.

Agree its mortifying.  Even though we've argued a lot, I probably ironically come closer to agreeing with you than most in this sense.  I agree that they've improved on this front.  I've even argued with Dan bashers (and took some heat for it) who think he is secretly still involved and Bruce is just his stooge who does his bidding.  I suspect that this mostly isn't the case but concede Dan might be quietly involved sometimes.    But I also think Dan prefers having a friend and ally in charge of personnel in case he does want to do his thing.   And that is one of the key reasons why I hate the personnel structure.  I don't hate Bruce.  If you reassign him, i'd be fine with it.  But I hate the arrangement and Dan has everything to do with it. 

Where you lose me is I think you take the point too far for my taste about how far they've come.  I don't see them out of the woods or even on the verge of out of the woods.  I don't like a lot of their moves in pro personnel.  They still royally mess up the QB position which to me has been above all Dan's hallmark here and there is a lot of evidence that QB has been Dan's baby as to where he likes to involve himself.  You want mortifying -- read the WP article where Dan fell in love with Brady Quinn supposedly and it took their scouts a week to talk him out of it.  They still come off as an organization that lacks class from time to time - also one of Dan's hallmarks.  But I do think that Kyle and Jay's prowess in college personnel is impressive.  To me that's a watershed change.  And I enjoy that side of the organization.  Fortunately, it's an important part of building an organization.  

Among the FO defenders so to speak, I am closest in opinion to @wit33.  Not that he's a major defender.  But he and another one continually say if Dan finally gets it right on QB that changes everything.  If he doesn't, it won't. I agree with that.  I notice a lot of FO critics don't agree.  But I do think a QB can override other bad decisions.  Right now, I think it's a so so operation.   But even in that WP article which bashed Dan pretty good, one outside observer said if Haskins ends up a Peyton type then they can find themselves out of the woods.  I agree with that.  So I got my fingers crossed.  I've backed every young QB who they've drafted in a big way starting with Shuler.  So after all that time, I am jaded on that front.  I am not going gaga over any QB just based on flashes because they all had them maybe except Shuler.  But I got some optimism.  So hopefully Haskins is the ticket out of this Dan misery. 

Back to the point of the thread.  I do like McLaurin a lot.  Will see.  I actually like Hamon, too.   Next year looks incredible stacked at that position.    Hard for me to imagine they aren't salivating for Jerry Jeudy.  He's electric.  He looks like a bonafide #1.  And he's Alabama. 😀 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

The ticket out of .500ville is stability and strong play at qb + excellent trench play on both sides.  Having a great secondary also really helps, but it's less sustainable and consistent and vital than front seven performance.

After horribly bungling our qb and gm situations, we somehow stumbled onto a real foundation for success.  Our front seven is now loaded and basically just needs to be maintained.  We got our QB and now just need to develop him.  We even grabbed a few skill players with high ceilings in Love and Guice and possibly Harmon. The last major hurdle in order to lay the foundation is to build and offensive line.

• Like 3

But even teams with good foundations suffer through 7 win seasons.  It's happened to Seattle and Pittsburgh and Green Bay and New Orleans.  The Patriots are the only ones who never falter, and they majorly benefit from playing in a highly dysfunctional trash division.  But the banner organizations don't stay down for long because they have winning foundations in place.  They can retool to 10-13 win territory by stringing together two or three good drafts in a row.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But even teams with good foundations suffer through 7 win seasons.  It's happened to Seattle and Pittsburgh and Green Bay and New Orleans.  The Patriots are the only ones who never falter, and they majorly benefit from playing in a highly dysfunctional trash division.  But the banner organizations don't stay down for long because they have winning foundations in place.  They can retool to 10-13 win territory by stringing together two or three good drafts in a row.

I agree.  i am not as confident in you are in Haskins but I do like what i've seen so far so I got my fingers crossed.  If Haskins is the goods then I agree they can jump fast from this year to next year.  My kids always ask me hey do the Redskins have a shot at a SB and alas I always respond I don't think so.  But this time, I told them not this year but if Haskins is the guy maybe next year or the year after.

I agree you got to load up on O line now.  At the moment the receiver class is also very tempting albeit O line I think is way more important and the bigger need.  My fear a little on that front is if they bring Trent back, I got some doubts they use their first rounder on an LT.  As much as I like their recent drafts, they seem to telegraph that need factors in heavily.  It's usually Doug that tips that part off.  So I wonder if they are tempted to dip into that receiver class especially if they have a shot at Jeudy.  And personally I do salivate at this receiver class thus far but I'd much rather have O line help.  And with them not having a 2nd rounder, the first round pick weighs I think a bit heavier than usual unless they trade down. 

A wildcard seems to be Brandon Scheriff.  Some say that contract negotiation isn't going well.    If he goes, that might change that thinking.  Just guessing here.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The ticket out of .500ville is stability and strong play at qb + excellent trench play on both sides.  Having a great secondary also really helps, but it's less sustainable and consistent and vital than front seven performance.

After horribly bungling our qb and gm situations, we somehow stumbled onto a real foundation for success.  Our front seven is now loaded and basically just needs to be maintained.  We got our QB and now just need to develop him.  We even grabbed a few skill players with high ceilings in Love and Guice and possibly Harmon. The last major hurdle in order to lay the foundation is to build and offensive line.

I mostly agree with all of this. The key to everything is obviously Haskins. If Haskins can become a top 10 QB, this is an entirely different team. 

I do like that you mentioned love. I think he could possibly be a real difference maker in the future of this team for the next 5 years. If we had just one of those guys at WR...

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A wildcard seems to be Brandon Scheriff.  Some say that contract negotiation isn't going well.    If he goes, that might change that thinking.  Just guessing here.

Losing him would be a rough blow.  I believe we're in a position where we should overspend to keep him.  His protections are so reliable and he's our only blocker with plus run game talent sans Trent.  And he has cultural value.  Under normal circumstances, I'd be open to letting him walk because of the money he'll command.  But not when we've got limited picks and are wasting 20% of our cap on Trent and Alex Smith.

It really sucks that we will probably be forced into using our first round pick on a lineman who can play tackle.  It sucks that free agency is not really going to be a tool that we can use to address our line.  The Alex Smith and Trent Williams situations are disasters that have played out as poorly as possible so far.  Paying all of that Kirk Cousins opportunity cost is brutal too.  These are the kinds of major mistakes that would typically call for a GM to get fired...

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I mostly agree with all of this. The key to everything is obviously Haskins. If Haskins can become a top 10 QB, this is an entirely different team. 

I do like that you mentioned love. I think he could possibly be a real difference maker in the future of this team for the next 5 years. If we had just one of those guys at WR...

I think franchise QBs are more made than found.  Haskins has all of the traits you could want in a QB prospect.  What happens next will largely come down to whether we can develop him.  I'm hopeful.  I think we've made the right choices with him so far.

I watched Walker Little cut ups from last season and Love reminded me of just how good he really was.  Short strider with next level speed and creativity and fluid hips.  Presses the second level well before linemen can have a chance to disengage.  Can turn any play where he gets even a momentary runway into a quick touchdown because of his ability to reach safeties so fast.  I actually think he's better than Guice, but is more limited by size.  The two of them could be a monster 1-2 punch, especially if we fix our OL.  Guice is your battering ram who wears out the defense and Love exploits the softened defense who has spent the game defending a different speed.  He could provide tremendous production with like 15-18 touches a game.

But realizing all of that potential comes down to whether or not the two of them can recover to what they were before their knee injuries. 

I hear you on the complaint about our receivers.  It doesn't feel like a very high ceiling group.  The way our team is constructed, it will eventually make more sense for us to run more than we throw.  So secondary traits like run blocking are actually more valuable to us in receivers than usual.  Getting back to the subject of the thread, this is where McLaurin looks like a good fit for us.  I've always seen him as a Z receiver--I think he's a faster than quick guy who might have trouble with the consistency of his release.  But if I'm wrong about him and he's a good X, then I think we're going to be alright at receiver.  I really like Harmon and have become very bullish on him because I believe his competitiveness and physicality are special.  He has an alpha mentality that reminds me of the workhorse type receivers like Smith-Schuster, and I think he could be a tremendous big slot player like him, but using the right kind of route concepts, he could work on the outside too.  I think that, because this team looks like it should be run heavy and we have a blue chip talent in development at QB, we're not going to have to spend that many resources to find a group of WRs we can win with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise I like that the young receivers should get a lot of work this year - it will give the team a good indication as to whether a 1st round receiver would make sense.  

(Also @stevemcqueen1) I agree about Scherff.  Sealing the deal with him, addressing oline early next draft and then (hopefully) freeing up FA dollars to resign our dline down the line would be a big help for the long term.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise I like that the young receivers should get a lot of work this year - it will give the team a good indication as to whether a 1st round receiver would make sense.  

(Also @stevemcqueen1) I agree about Scherff.  Sealing the deal with him, addressing oline early next draft and then (hopefully) freeing up FA dollars to resign our dline down the line would be a big help for the long term.  

The starting of the young receivers seems like a good long term play. I like it, and it is the type of decision the redskins don't usually pursue. Gotta risk it for the biscuit. 

I also agree that signing scherff is a necessity. 

This was a weird draft for wide recievers. There were guys with great measurable and low performance. Weak measurables and great performance. Guys who look to be one trick ponies. I feel it was a strong draft for wide recievers overall, but it was all over the place and I don't think there was a consensus best wide receiver prospect. 

The skins did well not to spend high picks on wide recievers. They chose 2 high character, high work ethic guys, both possesing a lot of talent. 

I'm looking for terry mclaurin to be the Swiss army knife that flashes occasional elite speed. 

I'm looking for Harmon to use his physicality to create separation. (Loved the preseason OPI's lol)

If these guys can learn to do so at the pro level than our wide receiver woes are going to be forgotten very quickly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Losing him would be a rough blow.  I believe we're in a position where we should overspend to keep him.  His protections are so reliable and he's our only blocker with plus run game talent sans Trent.  And he has cultural value.  Under normal circumstances, I'd be open to letting him walk because of the money he'll command.  But not when we've got limited picks and are wasting 20% of our cap on Trent and Alex Smith.

It really sucks that we will probably be forced into using our first round pick on a lineman who can play tackle.  It sucks that free agency is not really going to be a tool that we can use to address our line.  The Alex Smith and Trent Williams situations are disasters that have played out as poorly as possible so far.  Paying all of that Kirk Cousins opportunity cost is brutal too.  These are the kinds of major mistakes that would typically call for a GM to get fired...

All great points, agree 100%.   It brings home a point that i make from time to time is that your GM has to take a macro-big picture approach and all decisions tie together and in turn it does matter who has final say on calls. 

• Like 1

I suspect or fear TMC faces very high expectations.    He probably is going to be in our insomniac thread tonight. I hope Jay gets a ball to him early to ease the nerves. Maybe a reverse get his mind in the game and ease the pressure.

What are reasonable expectations.   

I will say..... 55 REC 80 Targets 660 yards 4 TDs.  I really want to go higher but think that is my expectations for most all our receivers.

Haha and then what are reasonable expectations for a 4th round rookie that really didn't play in preseason. Certainly less. He has hardly worked in the position he is going to be in, focusing so much on learning all the positions / out injured.  Not to mention expectations with a backup QB.

Edited by RandyHolt