Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Indeed.

If Keenum would have made a better throw when he was wide open on that 2nd long one, he would have outdone DJax, and maybe made the difference in the game

If Smith or Kirk were starting, you’d never have even known he was open.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Kid is a baller. Took 1 game to see it. Sometimes thats all it takes.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:30 PM, tmandoug1 said:

Terry....could you hook me up with 140 yards and two TDs this weekend.......smoked baby backs on me.😎

You almost had to pay up. Dude is electric

Edited by Mr. Sinister

The dude can block, is a good route runner, deep threat -- a leader, is smart.  I don't want to jinx him but I am sticking to he is going to be a good one.

I liked keenum's game today so I won't give him a hard time for that missed deep ball but if Keenum threw a good one there, McLaurin would have had an even better game than Desean,

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I know we've been conditioned for disappointment as Redskins fans, but did you not see how good he was today? 

Dont ask me that, I saw the same game you did.  How many times we've seen guys look good for a minute then not keep it up?  I'm happy he balled out, but only reason we'd say something like that is because we rarely have a legit number 1, hes no Julio, hes no AB, cant he jus have had a great game and lets see if he has another one? keeps it up this year?  Doesnt get figured out the next?

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The dude can block, is a good route runner, deep threat -- a leader, is smart.  I don't want to jinx him but I am sticking to he is going to be a good one.

Didn't almost all of his pass game production today come from playing the X too?  I can't tell on some of his snaps, but I think four catches were from the X and one was from Z.  He ran a variety of routes too, making catches in the middle of the field and on the outside.

The one thing we didn't really see him do is beat a press.  It looked like the Eagles spent the game playing pretty far off of him.  One of my fears with McLaurin is, yes he is fast, but is he quick too?  Can he get a consistent release against press?  If he proves that he can do this, then the sky is the limit for this kid, because you are absolutely right that he has all of those other traits you mentioned.

If he turns out to be a good X, then that transforms our whole receiver group.

I noticed that Kelvin Harmon also made a pair of nice catches from the slot.  I don't want to be a jinx either, but I can envision a future for these two with Harmon in the slot and McLaurin outside on the line.

And the potential of the Haskins-McLaurin connection has me excited now too.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dont ask me that, I saw the same game you did.  How many times we've seen guys look good for a minute then not keep it up?  I'm happy he balled out, but only reason we'd say something like that is because we rarely have a legit number 1, hes no Julio, hes no AB, cant he jus have had a great game and lets see if he has another one? keeps it up this year?  Doesnt get figured out the next?

We've seen guys fail, but for a variety of legitimate reasons that you can point to, whether it be shaky hands bad route running, one trick pony routes, being poor yac guys, not getting good separation, being physically or mentally soft, being hurt, not being team players and being sub par/woeful blockers, simply not being very talented, etc.

Seems like he has the desire to be great, works at it, can run routes, can catch, catch contested balls, can run after the catch, can get deep, can block, can get separation, and can flat out fly. One big thing, as McQueen alluded to, is can he beat press coverage. Pretty sure thats what destroyed whatshisface in 2010 for us when he was blowing past everyone for big ass TD's, then they pressed him after the second half of the season and he turned to dust.

I think the kid can do it. In one game against a very good D, he showed me he can do everything else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, beating a press is one of the toughest parts of transitioning from college to the NFL.  It's one of the true arts of playing the position.  And it can take time to get good at if you aren't a physical freak.

McLaurin is a little bit older for a prospect too, so there might not be a ton of room for development with him.  But what he showed today... he does a lot of things well already.

I love that there is no diva in him.  He loves blocking and playing special teams.  He is a team player who gets the big picture, which we see is definitely not a given for receivers.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think the kid can do it. In one game against a very good D, he showed me he can do everything else.

I'm jaded, I'll admit that.  You make great points, I'll say Griffin had one of the best fake handoffs I can remember his rookie year, never saw it again after that.  It also common for second year receivers to have a down year if they having a blow up rookie year. 

Maybe its jus my default gut reaction to everything nice wanting to see it twice now with this team.  The same way I dont believe Guice should be given the keys without playing an NFL game yet I'm not ready to anoint this guy after one.  Stay consistent with what you pointed out, that's all I ask, and it wont be a hot takes it will jus happen naturally.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Didn't almost all of his pass game production today come from playing the X too?  I can't tell on some of his snaps, but I think four catches were from the X and one was from Z.  He ran a variety of routes too, making catches in the middle of the field and on the outside.

The one thing we didn't really see him do is beat a press.  It looked like the Eagles spent the game playing pretty far off of him.  One of my fears with McLaurin is, yes he is fast, but is he quick too?  Can he get a consistent release against press?  If he proves that he can do this, then the sky is the limit for this kid, because you are absolutely right that he has all of those other traits you mentioned.

If he turns out to be a good X, then that transforms our whole receiver group.

I noticed that Kelvin Harmon also made a pair of nice catches from the slot.  I don't want to be a jinx either, but I can envision a future for these two with Harmon in the slot and McLaurin outside on the line.

And the potential of the Haskins-McLaurin connection has me excited now too.

I think so.  I'll rewatch the game eventually and zero in on it.  I am a bit biased on both McLaurin and Harmon because both were dudes i liked on the draft thread albeit in the 2nd tier group of receivers I liked.  I lobbied hard for both especially on draft day.  

With McLaurin, I get the slam on him which was based on him being a late bloomer and his production wasn't overwhelming even in his last year.  But I think the numbers were deceivingly good regardless.  11 TDs, 20 yard YPA.  He had a really strong catch % and Haskins' QB rating throwing to McLaurin was the best among any combination in this last draft class.   Then you add the 4.35 speed, good agility and strength numbers.  Good combination. 

I liked Doctson and clearly I was wrong about him and one of the lessons I tried to learn from that is personality matters.  And like you I follow the draft process religiously, and McLaurin's personality-work ethic-smarts were touted more than any receiver in this last class.  Two time captain, praised like mad from Urban Meyer and his teammates. 

As for beating press coverage, in college he played a lot of Z if i recall and some X.  I posted eons ago some of the clips I liked from McLaurin but I didn't save them and i am too lazy to dig up what I said about him back then.  From what I recall he had some moves to beat press coverage.    For starters, he's a physical player.  He has a good head fake and some shiftiness at the line of scrimmage.  He can push defenders off.  You can see him do it with the ball in the air, too.

when I watch NFL game pass, they show some of the better players in the NFL explain their craft and it really strikes me how cereberal and articulate they are when explaining themselves and their game.  McLaurin comes off that way to me.  Similar cat.  Smart.  As a contrary example, I saw an interview from Cam Sims once where the dude more or less was asked to describe his play and more or less admitted he doesn't put a lot of his thought into his play including his route running but just likes to play.  McLaurin on the other hand comes off like a professor, and I've become enamored with those type of guys everything being equal.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3