Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

23 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is the earliest recorded human evidence of someone predicting that Doctson would be CUT in the summer of 2019.

Nice call. I re-floated the idea in ~July based largely on 3 things. Bruce not taking that 5th year. Drafting 2 WRs. And a year ago having the last pick of the draft AND a UFA on the roster.  Not that Doc was old but it was a clear change in direction. Davis would have made it had he not gotten injured.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Nice call. I re-floated the idea in ~July based largely on 3 things. Bruce not taking that 5th year. Drafting 2 WRs. And a year ago having the last pick of the draft AND a UFA on the roster.  Not that Doc was old but it was a clear change in direction. Davis would have made it had he not gotten injured.

Thanks. I suffered ridicule for it because many believed at the time, that we wouldn't just cut a 1st rounder before he's a FA, because we wouldn't even get a compensatory pick for him.

But alas...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thanks. I suffered ridicule for it because many believed at the time, that we wouldn't just cut a 1st rounder before he's a FA, because we wouldn't even get a compensatory pick for him.

But alas...

It goes without saying someone should ask Bruce if he figured out why he could not trade him.

And make sure he has stopped trying. 2 years my lord he must have made hundreds of calls.

Bruce values him more than anyone and I can see him returning when we get desperate.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After Guice, am most looking forward to watching McLaurin this Sunday

Truly a fascinating development that took place in practice, because we didn’t get to see it in preseason games lol

Richardson is a proven deep threat in this league (injuries aside) and if Terry is 70% of the hype that’ll go a long way in the offense being average. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It’s so weird. When he was drafted, Gruden i think said they were excited about him as special team ace type of guy.

Now like 4 months later, he’s WR1. This is really strange. 

This happened with Crowder as well. He was drafted mainly to be the PR and ended up kind of stinking at that and being better in the slot (but imo kind of overrated by fans). But I remember similar surprise from Gruden on him.

It's possible Gruden just isn't great at evaluating WR's. It's kind of embarrassing imo that you'd be surprised that your 3rd round pick is actually really good at his main position--the 3rd round is still a fairly premium pick, for offensive skill players. Maybe Mclaurin was a Kyle guy.

The pick was seen as a reach here until people started really digging into him, and even then...but he was a pretty popular sleeper pick all over the place, as a guy who was underutilized but stepped up every chance he was allowed. Kind of like John Brown (currently on the Bills) that way--though he was a small school guy with a strange journey as a 23-24 year old prospect, people were initially surprised when he went in the 3rd round. Similar skillset and "reach" status as Mclaurin even if their stories are different. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The pick was seen as a reach here until people started really digging into him, and even then...but he was a pretty popular sleeper pick all over the place, as a guy who was underutilized but stepped up every chance he was allowed. Kind of like John Brown (currently on the Bills) that way--though he was a small school guy with a strange journey as a 23-24 year old prospect, people were initially surprised when he went in the 3rd round. Similar skillset and "reach" status as Mclaurin even if their stories are different. 

Crowder IMO was a good find for a 4th round pick.  I read the NY papers and they are glowing about the dude with some saying he's likely the Jets #1.  Will see.  But I am more excited about McLaurin who is IMO a more complete player than Crowder.  He's bigger than him, faster, better blocker, etc.  Crowder is a quiet dude.  McLaurin is vocal and a leader.   

I'll defend McLaurin some.  He was no reach as for most draft geek opinions.  Kiper even had him as a late first in one of his last mocks.  He was typically in the 2nd-3rd round range from what i recall when it came to most of the mocks as we got closer to the draft. 

I wrote a long post pushing for us to draft McLaurin in the 3rd round right before we took him that same day.  He has 4.35 speed.  Intangibles through the roof.   He had a great catch % along with 11 TDs, a sick 20 YPC.    He's also a great blocker.

I watched him in 5 practices in camp and he was the best receiver at least in my humble opinion.  I get their excitement about him.  Will see.  Receivers aren't easy to predict.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

My head spins. So McLaurin is the X / Split End.  Is that or the Z typically more reserved for smaller / faster players?  The Z is the strong side so should be a great blocker - IIRC. 

What should Paul Richardson be optimally, all things equal.

I am excited to see Haskins throwing to all the young WRs. I really think the raw rough kids will benefit from quicker throws. 

23 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

My head spins. So McLaurin is the X / Split End.  Is that or the Z typically more reserved for smaller / faster players?  The Z is the strong side so should be a great blocker - IIRC. 

This is what I was thinking too. I dont have the answer but remember Shanny used to want his receiver positions interchangeable if possible so that is one less tell the defense has on whats supposed to be happening pre snap. That sounds like good practice to me and Shanny could run some ****ing offense so perhaps its something Gruden as either adopted or just runs himself. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:59 PM, -JB- said:

None of our WR’s have a number in the 80’s.  Is this the first time ever?

Richardson 10

Harmon 13

Quinn 14

Sims Jr. 15

McLaurin 17

Davis 19

🤔

Our tight ends are really letting us down. We could be the only team in the NFL without a number in the 80s

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

What should Paul Richardson be optimally, all things equal.

I am excited to see Haskins throwing to all the young WRs. I really think the raw rough kids will benefit from quicker throws. 

If you think about McLaurin's quick release and ability to beat bump and run it makes a lot of sense to play him as the X.  I know as a coach that I want my X receiver to be able to win at the LOS.  Size is irrelevant.  Because of his great lateral quickness DJax was really good at the X position and he's probably smaller (definitely lighter) than McLaurin.  My next best receiver is usually my Z.  A guy who may not be as good at beating bump and run (which was and always will be Doctson's problem).  Reason being is that you can bring your Z in motion to give him an advantage and take away the DB's effectiveness in bump and run.  

Now, you make a very important point about wanting your X to block.  Since the X is usually the single side receiver and you don't want to be predictable and always run to the strong side then he needs to be at least an adequate blocker.  McLaurin is more than adequate.  He's damn good at it; because he has the heart to do so.  With DJax the offense was never going to get a good effort from him in the run game.  First he wasn't really willing to block (always half-hearted effort) and second he was so light in the butt that he couldn't do a good job if he tried.  So, teams would drop the strong safety down away from DJax and have the FS shade the hash on DJax side (or play middle and read).  That made the run game predictable and rendered it ineffective if you look at the average per carry.  

Having a burner on each side now (well, we hope P-Rich has his speed back) would present a problem to defenses.  If they try to drop their SS down into the box then that means the FS has two speed guys on opposite sides of the field to be concerned with.  If the DB loses then a misstep or late reaction by the FS could end up as a house call.  If the offense can force the SS to step drop back out of the box then you not only have the running game opening up but you also expose the defense to quick screens and you isolate your best receiver (Reed most likely - we'll see about Quinn) and let them run option routes in a 1v1 match up; a la Art Monk.  (Cuts down on run blitzes too)  If McLaurin can play then it changes the dynamics of the offense completely!

Now, if only the staff can get the TE's to block!!! 

p.s. I'm not really a believer in P-Rich.  I like his toughness but at his size he'll probably always be injury prone.  Ideally, I'd like to see Robert Davis or Harmon take the Z spot and run away with it.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

...and from a historical perspective THIS number 33 changed the way football is played. :) Hail

Absolutely... at least the skins seem pretty well represented.... heh we even have George Rogers at #38.   Nagurski at #3... whatevs. At 67 should be Ray Brown dammit. I feel like no Terry Orr at 89 is a terrible injustice.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

@ThomasRoane Excellent post.  McLaurin succeeding at flanker would be a good boost for the offense.  

I will say that my concern is that teams pull the SS from the box but we still struggle to run the ball and protect the passer.  On the bright side, I think we’ve got multiple guys that will be able to get quick separation in McLaurin, Quinn and Reed, along with enough speed (McLaurin, Richardson and Davis - Vernon, though Robert fits here as well)) to hit intermediate passes if defenders break on the short routes.  That first group should also be able to get defenders to bite on double moves.  

I think Guice and AP can mitigate the presumably not-so-hot run blocking to a degree, which hopefully keeps us ahead of the chains.

I said it early in the offseason, and I feel more strongly now - I’m oddly comfortable with this group of receivers/pass catchers.  

I’m liking the depth as well.  I’m pretty comfortable if Harmon, Steve Sims or Vernon Davis get pushed into a starting role.  

On a related note, IMO Guice is going to need to succeed in pass pro for this offense to thrive, ‘cause I don’t see the line holding up all that well.  I don’t think the line is awful, but I expect them to have some struggles and I’m not digging the depth there.  

• Like 1

Ahh, yes.  Guice in pass pro. The big unknown.

I think if he is still very raw at it, motion him out wide early and often vs risking him blowing it. Make him the hot read and see if he can juke the obvious defender he will face one on one in the flat.  If he faces consistent TIGHT coverage I want Case to pump and suck the corner and loft it over the top. I will keep saying it - using our "Run" back as a passing option is what is needed to bring our offense to the next level. Lord knows our WRs could probably use a little help anyways.

One way to mitigate sloppy crap pass pro is to never give the defenders enough time to crush Case.  I remember Rak one time during a Giants game complaining he can't get there because of simple and VERY effective, quick passing. DL become relegated to becoming batted ball boys.  Making DL jump up and down vs attacking the QB is a mind ****. Work the pump fakes, Case.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1