Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster Will Not Be Suspended!!

KingGibbs

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Lets talk about Foster's talent , Just how good is he ? I don't watch alot of 49er games and the ones i did watch i dont remember Foster standing out . So someone give me a breakdown, Just how good is he ? 

Read the quote in Califan's post at the bottom of page 2.

According to PFF, if Foster would've stayed healthy in 2017, he probably would've made All-Pro.

Be interesting to see what he does this season.

2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Lets talk about Foster's talent , Just how good is he ? I don't watch alot of 49er games and the ones i did watch i dont remember Foster standing out . So someone give me a breakdown, Just how good is he ? 

I watched his games.

Foster has a nose for anticipating and filling the gap on run plays.  He's an overly aggressive hard hitter, going for the big hit regularly (seems immature).  He's knocked himself out of games unnecessarily.  He has raw athletic talent that needs to be coached by someone like London Fletcher.  From time to time he will get caught with his anticipation of the targeted gap.  One instance I noticed was his locking onto the rusher and the RB faked shooting a gap and Foster completely crosses over his feet in anticipation, while defending the second level and resulted in the rusher easily cutting back to pass that second level.  Equally, he anticipates the gap correctly and will be in the backfield to limit the play to a no-gainer or loss.   I think until he is coached  up to play more in the scheme of the defense and less as an individual, he'll be limited to good instead of great.  He definitely does have that upside to be a great ILB'er.  Rob Ryan was brought in to coach Re.Foster and Hamilton, they can be very good.  In coverage, Foster is good.  You can see him dedicated to his assignments on passing plays. He'll make plays on the ball from time to time with a swat at the last minute.  He's got ball presence but poor hands.  Don't expect him to intercept anything.  Here's another area where he's weak and should be catching balls regularly from the jugs machine on a regular basis.  Simply looks like he doesn't do that. 

Overall, Re.Foster is a legit 1st rounder, with a combined 1 year of starting NFL experience.  He's just as likely to make the Pro Bowl as he is to end up on IR, not to mention the possibility of a return to jail. 

22 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

But this "blaming the accuser" crap needs to really stop.  I'd point you a few ways to find some resources on interpersonal psychology, victim-hood, statistics about the number of times it takes to get out of a DV situation, their prevalence, to learn more about people who end up in these situations, both men and women, and then maybe we can go from black and white to a little bit of color.  But not now. #istillloveyaCalifan #HTTR

Not one thing you wrote means Reuben laid a hand on her. 

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah her behavior does not excuse away all the other issues this guy has in his background.   But if he straightens himself out this was a great pickup.  

What are “all the other issues?”

3 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Not one thing you wrote means Reuben laid a hand on her. 

What are “all the other issues?”

1)  It was saying that the entire topic is way more complicated than a single post could show.  Case in point.

2)  Getting arrested three times in one year while knowing he's under the public eye?  Putting himself into these situations after Ray Rice?  His incident with the nurse at the Combine?

Here's an article that lays it out: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/timeline-reuben-fosters-troubles-career-alabama-redskins

13 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

1)  It was saying that the entire topic is way more complicated than a single post could show.  Case in point.

2)  Getting arrested three times in one year while knowing he's under the public eye?  Putting himself into these situations after Ray Rice?  His incident with the nurse at the Combine?

Here's an article that lays it out: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/timeline-reuben-fosters-troubles-career-alabama-redskins

The entire topic being complicated does not mean Reuben committed a crime.  You have yet to the link the two.

You use the three arrests as proof he’s trouble, but conveniently ignore the fact that two of those arrests (and interesting you use “arrests” and not “convictions”) involve this same victim where police investigated and found Reuben did nothing wrong.

You are supporting your argument with your argument.  It’s circular. 

17 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I watched his games.

Foster has a nose for anticipating and filling the gap on run plays.  He's an overly aggressive hard hitter, going for the big hit regularly (seems immature).  He's knocked himself out of games unnecessarily.  He has raw athletic talent that needs to be coached by someone like London Fletcher.  From time to time he will get caught with his anticipation of the targeted gap.  One instance I noticed was his locking onto the rusher and the RB faked shooting a gap and Foster completely crosses over his feet in anticipation, while defending the second level and resulted in the rusher easily cutting back to pass that second level.  Equally, he anticipates the gap correctly and will be in the backfield to limit the play to a no-gainer or loss.   I think until he is coached  up to play more in the scheme of the defense and less as an individual, he'll be limited to good instead of great.  He definitely does have that upside to be a great ILB'er.  Rob Ryan was brought in to coach Re.Foster and Hamilton, they can be very good.  In coverage, Foster is good.  You can see him dedicated to his assignments on passing plays. He'll make plays on the ball from time to time with a swat at the last minute.  He's got ball presence but poor hands.  Don't expect him to intercept anything.  Here's another area where he's weak and should be catching balls regularly from the jugs machine on a regular basis.  Simply looks like he doesn't do that. 

Overall, Re.Foster is a legit 1st rounder, with a combined 1 year of starting NFL experience.  He's just as likely to make the Pro Bowl as he is to end up on IR, not to mention the possibility of a return to jail. 

Jeez, Who the hell are you Mel Kiper Jr ?! Very informative thank you

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Are even allowed to talk about Foster's off-the-field behavior here ?

Or is that considered political ?

Just curious.

Yeah what if I'm in VA Beach at WaWa and Rueben Foster is ordering a hoagie and doesn't like that **** with extra mayo and makes a scene , can i talk about that or no ?

16 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

It is actually hilarious the reaction to signing him was so incredibly negative and now that he’s cleared it’s crickets. 

Probably because it's not really a win until he produces something on the field. 

Not being suspended is definitely a good first step, but that's all it is. 

Considering our teams history with underperforming free agents, and our training staff's reputation for not being able to keep our players healthy, there's still tons of other boxes that need to get checked before this is considered a "win" from a football perspective.

We've won the offseason plenty of times in the past only to see it fizzle out when it comes time to actually produce on Sunday.  Until that happens, I don't see many people celebrating.

Just my opinion.

42 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

It is actually hilarious the reaction to signing him was so incredibly negative and now that he’s cleared it’s crickets. 

So I was one of those against it and still am. I have actually just been busy with our mock draft. But thanks for posting as it reminded me I wanted to do this earlier. 

Is it as bad as I thought it might be? No. But the whole problem I had and have with it is this team does not need more drama. And regardless of the dom abuse accusations - which in fairness he has to be considered 100% innocent - he still shows very poor judgement failing the drug test at the combine, fighting with the nurse, and the hand gun charge among a few other questionable incidents. Ok, he has good enough lawyers to get him off. But that does not mean he still cannot seem to keep himself away from self destructive situations. 

I will say if the reports are true the Redskins have set up a support system for him that should keep him out of trouble. But it's like people that are bi-polar not wanting to take their meds. They take them and they are fine, but sooner or later they convince themselves they do not need them. And then they are back in trouble again. He will convince himself he has turned some corner. The only question is will he work harder to make sure he stays there or relax and get in trouble again.

This does not even count his injuries. Yes he should be able to come back from them, but man he was pretty dinged up. Don't we have enough guys that are in and out of the trainers room? 

I hope he does great. I hope it was all just immaturity and he is as healthy as anyone in the league. I just want the team to win. But I didn't like it then and I still am not a fan of the move. He has to show he can stay out of trouble and be productive on the field. 

Just to add some clarity...from what I've read Foster's "off-field issues" (other than anything involving his relationship with this woman) since being drafted amount to two things: possession charge for having weed on him, and a weapons charge.

The weed charge never went to trial because Foster took part in some drug prevention thing ahead of time which also involves random drug testing, so the case was dismissed.

So far it appears he's stayed on the straight and narrow in terms of that...heck, Trent Williams might be more of a risk in that department than Foster lol...

The weapons charge--this stemmed from the DV accusations by his ex-gf last February. She claimed (falsely) that he threatened to kill her or have someone kill her for him. She recanted that part in court along with the rest, but at the time she told the police that he owned an automatic weapon (not sure if she said he threatened her with it, just that he owned it). So the police searched for it and found it. The judge dropped the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor because he showed that the gun was purchased legally and I'm guessing he had all the paperwork. However, it's illegal in California to own that type of gun...he purchased it when he lived in another state where ownership of that type of gun is legal and allowed, but brought it to Cali where it's not allowed. He gained probation for that--2 years--and some community service hours to perform.

Here's where it gets slightly interesting: the Tampa arrest, even though the case was dropped due to no evidence of any wrongdoing, might still qualify as a probation violation. If so, then the district attorney's office in his case from last February--the one where the accuser testified she made the entire thing up--could decide to revisit the case and bring charges up against him again. The chances are pretty strong that they won't bother doing so...his ex-gf would have to testify since her word would pretty much be all they have in terms of evidence...and she has absolutely trashed her word as holding any value at this point. Not to mention almost everyone who has weighed in on the charges at the time has criticized the DA's office for taking it to court to begin with. Ennis told the DA that she made the whole thing up 2 days after calling the police, but the DA's office decided to press ahead with the case anyway (they can do so in order to protect victims of DV who later falsely recant due to fear or other reasons). But it really tosses her word down the toilet when you consider that after having Foster arrested, the accuser broke into his house, stole $8,000 from him through copying his account number and routing number, and stole jerseys and jewelry and then took off for Alabama or wherever her family lived. I mean, if she's saying it was a money scheme those actions pretty much prop up that statement.

These two quotes sum up the unlikely possibility of the case being re-investigated:

1) "Looking through the transcripts was amazing. Every shred of evidence was pointing to this report being false. The DA did not look into video showing the victim getting in a fight with another girl the day before the alleged incident. The DA did not look into the medical records that show the injuries did not match the original DV report. The DA did not look into the medical report that the injuries possibly occurred before the reported date/time of the alleged DV. The DA did not look into the prior history of the victim which includes going to jail for falsely accusing another man of DV. The DA ignored multiple texts from the victim stating that she is going to end Foster’s career for breaking up with her. She broke into his house multiple times AFTER the alleged assault. She threatened to kill herself if Foster did not contact her even though he was told to have no discussions with her until after trial. The list goes on. This is not even including the key witnesses the DA used not counting the victim also hurt the case by admitting that the victim showed no signs of injury, stress, or even concern when flagging them down. She was calm and methodical during her phone call with 911."

2) "Katherine Redmond, founder of the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes, had initially suggested the 49ers cut Foster after his arrest, which she acknowledged was a wrong call to make.

“This just blows my mind. But at the same time, I just don’t understand why prosecutors hung their hat on this case,” she said."

But, as others like @goskins10 have said, Foster's judgement is flawed, to say the least. And that flawed judgement can present itself in a multitude of ways. At the very least it showed up in his continued relationship with this woman, even flying her out to his hotel the night before an away game. All of the above in no way should be taken as he's not a worry off the field...just that his off the field issues may be less worrisome than we are thinking.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

So I was one of those against it and still am. I have actually just been busy with our mock draft. But thanks for posting as it reminded me I wanted to do this earlier. 

Is it as bad as I thought it might be? No. But the whole problem I had and have with it is this team does not need more drama. And regardless of the dom abuse accusations - which in fairness he has to be considered 100% innocent - he still shows very poor judgement failing the drug test at the combine, fighting with the nurse, and the hand gun charge among a few other questionable incidents. Ok, he has good enough lawyers to get him off. But that does not mean he still cannot seem to keep himself away from self destructive situations. 

I will say if the reports are true the Redskins have set up a support system for him that should keep him out of trouble. But it's like people that are bi-polar not wanting to take their meds. They take them and they are fine, but sooner or later they convince themselves they do not need them. And then they are back in trouble again. He will convince himself he has turned some corner. The only question is will he work harder to make sure he stays there or relax and get in trouble again.

This does not even count his injuries. Yes he should be able to come back from them, but man he was pretty dinged up. Don't we have enough guys that are in and out of the trainers room? 

I hope he does great. I hope it was all just immaturity and he is as healthy as anyone in the league. I just want the team to win. But I didn't like it then and I still am not a fan of the move. He has to show he can stay out of trouble and be productive on the field. 

I don't think there's really much downside to giving him a shot. He's cheap as hell cap wise and it's not like we gave up draft picks for him. Best case scenario is he stays focused, doesn't put himself into any more bad situations, balls out, and we go from having crap talent at a position of major need to having a young potential All-Pro level talent there. Worst case scenario is he continues to be a knucklehead and/or ends up being a distraction. We release him with a quickness and move on.

I just need to add this as well lol...tweets from back in December:

thom loverro @thomloverro

Exodus of business executives Brian Lafemina, Steve Ziff & Jake Bye from #Redskins Park is a direct result of the Reuben Foster waiver claim by Bruce Allen #NFL

thom loverro @thomloverro

#Redskins COO Brian Lafemina went to Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen with direct feedback from corporate ticket holders upset with Reuben Foster signing. Lost that battle --and the war.

How much you wanna bet that a good portion of those corporate season ticket holders are more than ok right now with Foster being claimed by the team lol...this may not have been the best hill for Lafemina to die on.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I will say if the reports are true the Redskins have set up a support system for him that should keep him out of trouble.

Yep, unfortunately young men fall in love with some sort of dysfunctional relationships without the skills to deal with reality.  How many times have I wish I had cut my losses with a chick that was dysfunctional but I couldn't live with the thought of her with someone else... This happens when you're immature and don't have the skills to deal with it.  That doesn't make him a criminal, rather just another guy who needs to stay clear of that sick relationship.  The living arrangement likely is aimed at protecting him from his demons and addiction to toxic relationships.  It won't take long for him to develop new habits...the issue is it only takes one night of some beers for a text or phone call to put him right back into that scenario.  It's a tough deal for any youngster to learn to turn that page.  Hopefully he's able to take the next step. 

Not that I’m surprised but the notion that folks against the Foster move owe Bruce props and eat crow is funny to say the least.

I honestly can’t recall any poster saying that Reuben for certain beats on women or was guaranteed to be suspended.  That was the worst case scenario.  Most of the commentary was around Fosters horrendous decision making and the Redskins piss-poor handling of the acquisition.

The way some are acting, I’d swear it was 2034 and Reuben Foster is a walk in hall of famer after a decade of stellar play as a Redskin.

Is it a good thing for the team, yeah.  But there’s a waaaaay to go before we find out if the juice was worth the squeeze.

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I honestly can’t recall any poster saying that Reuben for certain beats on women or was guaranteed to be suspended. 

We had it in this thread lol...

"...he needs to explore, NOW, what causes him to be violent towards women..."

But the original thread had more than its share of comments that go farther than "he has poor judgment" or "he makes bad decisions"...

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

We had it in this thread lol...

"...he needs to explore, NOW, what causes him to be violent towards women..."

But the original thread had more than its share of comments that go farther than "he has poor judgment" or "he makes bad decisions"...

Fair enough.

Still think the vindication party is 🤣 though.

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not that I’m surprised but the notion that folks against the Foster move owe Bruce props and eat crow is funny to say the least.

I honestly can’t recall any poster saying that Reuben for certain beats on women or was guaranteed to be suspended.  That was the worst case scenario.  Most of the commentary was around Fosters horrendous decision making and the Redskins piss-poor handling of the acquisition.

The way some are acting, I’d swear it was 2034 and Reuben Foster is a walk in hall of famer after a decade of stellar play as a Redskin.

Is it a good thing for the team, yeah.  But there’s a waaaaay to go before we find out if the juice was worth the squeeze.

Rueben doesn’t need to get a gold jacket for the juice to be worth the squeeze. The way you’re acting is we traded significant assets and/or used significant cap space to bring him on. We didn’t. In fact, the whole reason it was considered such a shrewd move by me at the time, is that we essentially are carrying a salary cap penalty with Smith on the books. The way to combat that is to add elite talent at a cheap cost, which can be done through the draft and through acquisitions like Foster. Only way it would have been a problem in my eyes is if he was convicted and we continued to employ him. But in today’s ultra sensitive society, coupled with an angry fan base, it was the perfect recipe for the Redskins’ “piss poor handling of the situation” in the eyes of many. But I know how much it must pain you and others to see us make a move that pays off. 

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Fair enough.

Still think the vindication party is 🤣 though.

No, I agree with you lol...there were extremely valid reasons for passing on putting in a claim for Reuben and his not being charged or suspended doesn't negate those reasons. And it should require a ****-ton more to go well for the Skins to "vindicate" Bruce lol...I mean, come on now.

What I found interesting, though, is that there were a number of writers last spring who wrote "I was wrong" articles after Foster was cleared of charges. I sincerely doubt we'll get any of those same types of articles, in any form, concerning the Redskins.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, ExoDus84 said:

Well, we did have the 30th ranked offense last season. We were pretty putrid, and that was WITH Alex Smith. A more turnover prone QB with very few offensive weapons is going to really struggle. At this point, with Keenum throwing to 50-50 Josh Doctson, we may not score a TD next season.

Good news on the Foster front, though. I think he'll be a big contributor next season. He's easily our most talented linebacker.

Just remember we were a walking ER room, our Oline had players who we picked off the street. Look who we had playing QB at the end of season for christs sake. We were not a bottom 30 offense with Alex either.

18 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Rueben doesn’t need to get a gold jacket for the juice to be worth the squeeze. The way you’re acting is we traded significant assets and/or used significant cap space to bring him on. We didn’t. In fact, the whole reason it was considered such a shrewd move by me at the time, is that we essentially are carrying a salary cap penalty with Smith on the books. The way to combat that is to add elite talent at a cheap cost, which can be done through the draft and through acquisitions like Foster. Only way it would have been a problem in my eyes is if he was convicted and we continued to employ him. But in today’s ultra sensitive society, coupled with an angry fan base, it was the perfect recipe for the Redskins’ “piss poor handling of the situation” in the eyes of many. But I know how much it must pain you and others to see us make a move that pays off. 

I applauded the move at the time for the reasons you suggested, as well as I had read up on Foster's past DV issues right after we put a claim on him and realized the story was not as clear-cut as "stoopid foreskins signing a wife-beater lulz" or whatever lol...I don't think BatteredFanSyndrome was being quite the way you described him, though. The Skins--or at least Allen--deserved a ton of criticism for how they handled the PR surrounding the move, and I'm not thinking anyone needs to give Bruce his due as much as I think people need to step back and maybe acknowledge that there were indeed good, valid reasons for taking the calculated risk of putting in a waiver on Foster without needing everything cleared up first. Cuz I guarantee you, if Foster turns out to be a stud for the Skins a lot of other teams will start throwing in waiver claims if a "troubled" player is released.

I think Galdi came up with the idea for the NFL to keep players in Foster's position from being sent through the waiver process until their situations are cleared up, or at least until a certain amount of time has passed. That might be the best way to go moving forward.

Archived