Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster Will Not Be Suspended!!

KingGibbs

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Just to add some clarity...from what I've read Foster's "off-field issues" (other than anything involving his relationship with this woman) since being drafted amount to two things: possession charge for having weed on him, and a weapons charge.

I'd add that weird incident at the combine where he got into an altercation at the hospital with staff during his physical which got him kicked out of the combine.  We talked about it a lot on the draft thread at the time and rumblings of character concerns were discussed about Reuben predraft.  

Hoffman said today multiple people in the Redskins FO told him Reuben "has a long way to go" and they have concerns about him as to how he conducts himself as a professional.  And that's part of the reason why they in conjunction with the NFL are setting up a program for him to keep him on the right path.

One of the articles about Reuben I recall before the draft had Saban quoted saying something to the effect of Reuben needs structure or the right support or something to that effect and then he will be fine. 

My point here is will Reuben be a boy scout and be perfectly fine for the rest of his NFL career?  I got no clue.  I hope he does.  He wasn't my absolute fav before the 2017 draft but especially as draft day approached he was on my list of players I wanted and I was disappointed when SF outbid them to get him in the late first.

It's not hard to piece together that Jay behind the scenes has a lot invested in this.  He was mentioned among the people who wanted Reuben in the WP article when they acquired him.  And it was mentioned multiple times before and after the 2017 draft that Foster was one of Jay's main draft crushes.      So hopefully with Jay heavily vested in this coupled with Reuben surrounded by close friends in particular Ryan Anderson -- he will be OK.    

But this definitely doesn't strike me as a situation where we can relax and all will be fine.  For example the Derrius Guice stuff to me seemed ridiculous when that came out on draft day and said so at the time.  With Derrius there is no history with the dude having bad character.  Reuben on the other hand was red flagged before the draft.  Heck Doug Williams in one of his interviews on 980 said in the mix of his conversation about Reuben that he was told by one of Reuben's teammates that he can be a bit of a con artist.

So yeah hopefully it all turns out well.  But if Hoffman's sources are correct, the Redskins do think they have to work with Reuben to ensure he stays straight so to speak.  And i am glad they are being proactive with it. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add that weird incident at the combine where he got into an altercation at the hospital with staff during his physical which got him kicked out of the combine.  We talked about it a lot on the draft thread at the time and character concerns were discussed about Reuben predraft. 

Yeah, that's why I specified "since being drafted" lol...

And I think everyone here will (or should) admit that you don't end up in Foster's predicaments without some really questionable choices and decisions on your part, even if those choices aren't illegal. He's got some definite growing to do.

I remember reading about a year ago how there were a lot of incidences involving Ezekiel Elliott that were kept out of the news and under wraps that weren't illegal but were problematic--some guy's brother was a bouncer in Dallas and conveyed stuff about Zeke to him. It fit right i with all the other stuff we did know about Elliott and sounded plausible. I suspect Foster may have some similar instances.

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, that's why I specified "since being drafted" lol...

And I think everyone here will (or should) admit that you don't end up in Foster's predicaments without some really questionable choices and decisions on your part, even if those choices aren't illegal. He's got some definite growing to do.

I remember reading about a year ago how there were a lot of incidences involving Ezekiel Elliott that were kept out of the news and under wraps that weren't illegal but were problematic--some guy's brother was a bouncer in Dallas and conveyed stuff about Zeke to him. It fit right i with all the other stuff we did know about Elliott and sounded plausible. I suspect Foster may have some similar instances.

OK it happened though just months before his NFL career started.  And it gave me the vibe said in that fashion that there isn't much to worry about here.  So if I misunderstood your point then sorry.  But that's what I took on -- because Hoffman said the Redskins are flat out somewhat worried and in turn are working on keeping Foster on the right path. 

I recall on Foster there were issues that involved anger and immaturity which weren't though explained before the draft.  Some story also if I recall of being at a night club with a shooting where people got killed that he knew.  Then the hospital scene.  I don't think a player has ever been kicked out of the combine like that.   I was ok with getting Foster anyway.  So it would be hypocritical for me to say it turned me off. 

I didn't love him before that draft the way I did Guice.  But I did like him.  I used the two as comparisons because both were assailed as to their character.  And for Guice I defended him and felt it was unfounded where we have nothing to worry about.  As for Reuben, I got some concerns.   It's a different ball game. Hopefully it works out.    Not saying you are saying otherwise. 

33 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

But I know how much it must pain you and others to see us make a move that pays off. 

Clearly we define ‘payoff’ differently.  The move will payoff when and if Reuben stays out of trouble, is not a distraction, stays healthy and shores up a glaring hole at linebacker.  At this point he’s just not suspended.

I have nothing against the guy.  If he figures life out and realizes his full potential...great.  But at this point, he’s just a poor decision maker that avoided a suspension.  

You’ve got it all wrong though.  If and when the way the Skins currently do things leads to winning, I’ll be more than happy to eat crow.  But these guys are miles away from serving crow, Foster or no Foster.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You’ve got it all wrong though.  If and when the way the Skins currently do things leads to winning, I’ll be more than happy to eat crow.  But these guys are miles away from serving crow, Foster or no Foster.

All i know is I hope you eat crow soon & often HTTR!!!!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK it happened though just months before his NFL career started.  And it gave me the vibe said in that fashion that there isn't much to worry about here.  So if I misunderstood your point then sorry.  But that's what I took on -- because Hoffman said the Redskins are flat out somewhat worried and in turn are working on keeping Foster on the right path.

At the end of the post I said "Foster's judgment is flawed, to say the least. And that flawed judgment can present itself in a multitude of ways. [...]All of the above (in my post) in no way should be taken as he's not a worry off the field":...I think you and I are actually saying the same things lol...

I just decided to focus on Foster's off-the-field issues since being drafted mainly because it doesn't seem as if he had any off-the-field issues his entire rookie season, but I don't know for sure because I didn't go back and track news items for the 49ers in 2017. I just read numerous articles that talked about Foster's "timeline" of issues, and nothing was ever mentioned about his rookie season. I also wanted people to understand the facts involved instead of just hearing he had a "weapons charge" or things like that...when I hear "weapons charge" I imagine the person brandishing a gun in public and maybe even threatening someone with it. At the least I imagine someone driving late at night in the wrong neighborhood with a gun tucked inside their jacket...or didn't have a permit for it and it was in their car...**** like that lol...just something reckless and stupid involving a gun. Knowing that it wasn't anything like that, that he simply owned it...and that it stemmed from the fake DV accusations to boot...I thought this may not be the big issue some are probably imagining.

But as I said, you don't find yourself in these situations unless you tend to show poor judgment (and "poor judgment" is being generous).

Not saying you are saying otherwise.

Yeah, like I said I think you and I are saying the same things lol...and I remember thinking he might fall to us but when Jonathan Allen slid as well I forgot all about Foster, at least until the bottom of the 1st when there was a little speculation about us maybe trading up into the top of the 2nd round for him. When the 49ers traded to get him and were praised to high heaven, I was slightly happy when I heard peripherally about his injuries during his rookie season, mostly because the Skins were criticized in some circles for taking Allen with the bad shoulders and passing on Foster.

Since you're writing up all these draft analysis posts and since I'm in no way energetic enough to go search for old ones lol...were you seeing him as a 1st round talent that would slip into the 2nd round due to personal issues?...Or were you seeing at least a few teams willing to take a chance on him, even with his issues, and draft him in the top 15?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add that weird incident at the combine where he got into an altercation at the hospital with staff during his physical which got him kicked out of the combine.  We talked about it a lot on the draft thread at the time and rumblings of character concerns were discussed about Reuben predraft.  

Hoffman said today multiple people in the Redskins FO told him Reuben "has a long way to go" and they have concerns about him as to how he conducts himself as a professional.  And that's part of the reason why they in conjunction with the NFL are setting up a program for him to keep him on the right path.

This. What other player can anyone remember that has ever been kicked out of the combine for an altercation with medical staff?  Super off the wall and borderline anti-social. Paint all of the other details as you will, but he's also had a weapons charge, a drug charge and 2 domestic violence accusations. 

I am happy he's on the skins and I'm rooting for him. He's a bit of a force of nature type athlete, like a Sean Taylor or a Mike Tyson, and those guys are fun to watch and root for. I've probably given up on the NFL in terms of wanting a choir boy team, because that just isn't the reality, in sports, or, in entertainment. 

I want Foster to be a success and I think claiming him was super smart. I am not however confident that he is going to keep his nose clean and remain out of trouble, which I would like him to do, for the sake of our defense. 

11 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Since you're writing up all these draft analysis posts and since I'm in no way energetic enough to go search for old ones lol...were you seeing him as a 1st round talent that would slip into the 2nd round due to personal issues?...Or were you seeing at least a few teams willing to take a chance on him, even with his issues, and draft him in the top 15?

There was one dude on the draft thread who absolutely loved Foster early on and who wrote great analyses of him.    I liked him.  But it took me awhile to really dig him and that was mainly because early on he seemed like a slam dunk top 10 pick and I don't tend to spend a lot of time on prospects who are unrealistic for us to take.

However, there were two things that as we got closer to the draft that made him realistic where you started to see him fall to our pick and past it.  And that's when I started to dive in some.  Those 2 things were growing talk of injury concerns and character concerns.    The hospital incident was the kicker.  Who gets thrown out of the combine?  That started some chatter from those who defended Reuben that he was a different type of dude.  

So in an odd way all that stuff put him on my radar because that's why he started to fall in the eyes of draft geeks and scouts who leaked their take about him.  

As a player he's a weakside MLB.  He had an abysmal score on the Wonderlic.  And I read an article about how he wouldn't impress teams showing plays on the whiteboard because drawing up X's and O's isn't his forte.  He didn't call plays in Alabama.   So he's not a cerebral London Fletcher type of a MLB.

He's more in the mode of Zach Brown but better.  Zach needs other players to direct him and most say he isn't the most cerebral dude as for following X's and O's.   But he's fast and hits hard.  He's an instinctual player.  Zach though gets out of position and is fooled a lot.  Reuben isn't fooled like that.  Reuben's instincts IMO are really good. He is really really fast and can chase players down.  And he hits really really hard and violently.  He throws his whole body at players and flattens them.  He had shoulder surgery in college and if I recall had to deal with it in the pros too.  Some feared that he is such a violent hitter that injuries will plague him in the NFL.  And he has already missed a bunch of games.  

There are some parallels IMO to Sean Taylor in that you worry some about him off the field.  Sean turned that around before he died -- with Reuben will see.  Like Sean, Reuben is an intimidator with mega speed, great instincts and is a violent hitter.   Sean had a mentor in Ryan Clark which seemed to help.  On the current draft thread, I've been touting Devin Bush some in part because of his mega leadership-high character-high intelligence.  Bush I think would be a nice tandem with Foster albeit I have concerns that they are both really weakside MLB types.  Typically you need a Mike (strongside) to play with a Mo (weakside) in a  3-4 defense.  Foster and Bush are both traditional weakside types.  But you'd have one heck of a speed tandem.

I didn't really think about it at the time.  But I thought the Redskins hard pursuit of CJ Mosley in FA struck me curious. I got why they liked him but was surprised how high they went up to the bidding and just let go when the Jets got crazy.   But I forgot that Mosley was a mentor to Foster in Alabama.  So I wonder if that had something to that.  Hearing Hoffman say people in the FO think Foster "has a long way to go" makes me think that there is something more that they aren't talking about.   So yeah for me I'd love Foster to be the man here.  But I've got concerns where I'd love to get that Ryan Clark type for him to keep him straight.    And long term the way he plays -- injuries might contribute to him missing games so you want some depth behind him.

I haven't watched him at all in SF.  From what I read he oddly was better as a rookie than he was as a sophomore.  But I'll try to dive in and watch that for myself.  PFF loves him I notice metric wise. 

Sean Dion Hamilton size wise is also more of a weakside MLB.  Even though he played both spots in college and can call plays.  John Keim said somewhere they see Hamilton as a marginal starter and are willing to upgrade.  Even though Hamilton played with Foster side by side at times, I don't know if they are close.  They might be but am not sure.  I know Foster and Ryan Anderson are close.  I recall they asked Anderson after he was drafted something to the effect of who was the tone setter on the Alabama defense. His answer was Reuben Foster.  But beyond that I recall seeing that he and Ryan are tight.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sean Dion Hamilton size wise is also more of a weakside MLB.  Even though he played both spots in college and can call plays.  John Keim said somewhere they see Hamilton as a marginal starter and are willing to upgrade.  Even though Hamilton played with Foster side by side at times, I don't know if they are close.  They might be but am not sure.  I know Foster and Ryan Anderson are close.  I recall they asked Anderson after he was drafted something to the effect of who was the tone setter on the Alabama defense. His answer was Reuben Foster.  But beyond that I recall seeing that he and Ryan are tight.

Ryan Anderson seems to be a go-to player for the FO and coaches, at least when it comes to Alabama players (or more specifically, when it came to Collins and Foster).

I also wonder if trying to change aspects of Foster's playing style to help him avoid injury played a role in him having a sub-par 2nd season in comparison to his rookie season. (I'm sure the off-field issues played a role in that as well)

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As a player he's a weakside MLB.  He had an abysmal score on the Wonderlic.  And I read an article about how he wouldn't impress teams showing plays on the whiteboard because drawing up X's and O's isn't his forte.  He didn't call plays in Alabama.   So he's not a cerebral London Fletcher type of a MLB.

That's right, he didn't call the plays on that defense...SHAUN DION HAMILTON did....! 

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

That's right, he didn't call the plays on that defense...SHAUN DION HAMILTON did....! 

Yep, I think people know that.  Not sure why it deserves cap status, exclamation point? 😀   Excitement about Hamilton?  Duo Alabama LBs?   If Keim is correct, that isn't a slam dunk to be played out that way -- according to him they see him as a marginal starter and are open to upgrading.   And it wasn't an accident that the Skins bid high for Mosley in FA.  Mosley is a traditional Mike MLB size wise.

Will see. 

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, I think people know that.  Not sure why it deserves cap status, exclamation point? 😀   Excitement about Hamilton?  Duo Alabama LBs?   If Keim is correct, that isn't a slam dunk to be played out that way -- according to him they see him as a marginal starter and are open to upgrading.   And it wasn't an accident that the Skins bid high for Mosley in FA.  Mosley is a traditional Mike MLB size wise.

Will see. 

CJ Mosely weighed the same as Devin Bush at the combine. Just Saying. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/c.j.-mosley?id=2543464

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

CJ Mosely weighed the same as Devin Bush at the combine. Just Saying. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/c.j.-mosley?id=2543464

Yep but he is a bigger dude now.  😀

But as you likely recall, I don't need to be sold on Devin Bush.

Been selling him hard.   If I recall you pushed it some too on the draft thread. If so, not all agree with us though.

But yeah I am OK with 2 rocket missile speedy MLBs playing side by side.  With today's version of the game arguably the traditional Mike type MLB is less critical.

Bush isn't my top pick at 15. But I'd be jazzed to have him.

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Interesting that we have a history of taking UDFAs at ILB and grooming them to be pretty decent, on our own.

Antonio Pierce

Will Compton

Zach Vigil

That's just off the top of my head, without any research, so there could be more.

I think ILB’s are the RB’s of defense 

What I mean by that is at a young age the best player is put at LB. So like RB’s unless the player is special they are all kind of the same. 

On 4/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, Master Blaster said:

The entire topic being complicated does not mean Reuben committed a crime.  You have yet to the link the two.

You use the three arrests as proof he’s trouble, but conveniently ignore the fact that two of those arrests (and interesting you use “arrests” and not “convictions”) involve this same victim where police investigated and found Reuben did nothing wrong.

You are supporting your argument with your argument.  It’s circular. 

You're not getting it and and you're not trying to.  You don't even understand how the legal system works (arrest vs. conviction; charges dropped vs. didn't do anything wrong).

I'm done with this "conversation."

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

You're not getting it and and you're not trying to.  You don't even understand how the legal system works (arrest vs. conviction; charges dropped vs. didn't do anything wrong).

I'm done with this "conversation."

I’m actually an attorney that has worked in the criminal realm for a decade. I’d wager my grasp of the system exceeds yours. 

Your inability to form a coherent non-circular argument does not speak to my ability to grasp the concepts.  

51 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I’m actually an attorney that has worked in the criminal realm for a decade.

Since you're an attorney, lemme ask: I remember hearing some guy (probably on 106.7) who I think was an attorney as well, that Foster's weed charge was a class 5 misdemeanor or whatever classification he gave, and said that in Virginia at least, "a judge wouldn't even bother hearing the case" (more or less verbatim). He made it sound like it was an incredibly insignificant charge. I know NOTHING about drug charges lol...does what this guy said sound legit to you (as much as you can determine from my crappy description and memory, anyway)?

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Since you're an attorney, lemme ask: I remember hearing some guy (probably on 106.7) who I think was an attorney as well, that Foster's weed charge was a class 5 misdemeanor or whatever classification he gave, and said that in Virginia at least, "a judge wouldn't even bother hearing the case" (more or less verbatim). He made it sound like it was an incredibly insignificant charge. I know NOTHING about drug charges lol...does what this guy said sound legit to you (as much as you can determine from my crappy description and memory, anyway)?

Tryin to get free legal defense advice "for a friend", huh ?

😉

Archived