Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged as a 'john' in human trafficking/prostitution investigation

JSSkinz

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I know it's a "BE OUTRAGED" type of story and I'm not even trying to minimize prostitution....

But if he had no knowledge or nothing to do with the trafficking stuff, his name needs to be disassociated with that aspect of the story. If the story was that he had a high-end call girl come to his Vegas suite, people would be interested but not overly triggered. Rich guys do things with their money and pay for sex all the time. 

Now, having said all that, if he is involved with the human trafficking aspect at all (even knowing about), then that's completely different to me. 

I would agree with that completely.   It could be that there is only smoke and no fire for Kraft on this one.    The fire is out there, though, and he is looking mighty close to it. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I mean, really? You're dating a woman like that and you feel the need to pay for sex? 

These were Asian pros. In a day spa. Not a classy day spa in Wyoming, mind you. Strip mall. Florida. I can eat at some nice restaurants, but sometimes you just want a junior bacon cheese burger.

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

These were Asian pros. In a day spa. Not a classy day spa in Wyoming, mind you. Strip mall. Florida. I can eat at some nice restaurants, but sometimes you just want a junior bacon cheese burger.

I don't know man, you're probably right.   I just hope they didn't look like your avatar.  

I'm no lawyer but why Is ignorance an excuse for soliciting a prostitute but nowhere else?

If she was 16 but told him she was 18 he'd be charged with the rape of a minor right?

If it turns out these prostitutes were kidnapped I'm sorry but ignorance of that fact won't fly with me.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'm no lawyer but why Is ignorance an excuse for soliciting a prostitute but nowhere else?

If she was 16 but told him she was 18 he'd be charged with the rape of a minor right?

If it turns out these prostitutes were kidnapped I'm sorry but ignorance of that fact won't fly with me.

Well, I don't know the actual laws...but am strictly speaking on how I would view it. 

If he went into that place, asked for whatever, went into a room, and had some girl come do whatever he ordered...I wouldn't really pin on him her age or how she got into that environment. I mean, by the letter of the law he shouldn't be doing it anyway (hence the charge), but he's not actively coordinating the trafficking of underaged girls. 

If he knew what was going on and that's part of the draw for him...well, then to me that's 100x worse. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, I don't know the actual laws...but am strictly speaking on how I would view it. 

If he went into that place, asked for whatever, went into a room, and had some girl come do whatever he ordered...I wouldn't really pin on him her age or how she got into that environment. I mean, by the letter of the law he shouldn't be doing it anyway (hence the charge), but he's not actively coordinating the trafficking of underaged girls. 

If he knew what was going on and that's part of the draw for him...well, then to me that's 100x worse. 

Simply by patronizing the place hes helping finance whoever is trafficking these girls.  This is totally unacceptable...no way around it as far as Im concerned

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If you give a stranger money and get a handy in return, how are you ignorant of what is going on?

2 minutes ago, willyt said:

Simply by patronizing the place hes helping finance whoever is trafficking these girls.  This is totally unacceptable...no way around it as far as Im concerned

No, again, I get it. But intent and knowledge matter IN MY OPINION. 

And, yes, I realize this entire discussion is on the illegal side of the law...so anyone can trump anything I say with "he broke the law" but...

If he patronized that place KNOWING ABOUT THE TRAFFICKING, then it's completely unacceptable. Otherwise, it's a little more gray. Should we be held accountable for child labor in Asia if we can't completely trace back who made our sneakers? 

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you give a stranger money and get a handy in return, how are you ignorant of what is going on?

I was referring to the ignorance of human trafficking. 

He clearly will be charged with soliciting a prostitute which I believe is a misdemeanor. 

But if the girl was kidnapped I don't see why ignorance should be an excuse, it certainly wouldn't be if she was underage. 

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I was referring to the ignorance of human trafficking. 

He clearly will be charged with soliciting a prostitute which I believe is a misdemeanor. 

But if the girl was kidnapped I don't see why ignorance should be an excuse, it certainly wouldn't be if she was underage. 

Oh i gotcha.  Yes, it makes it a much more difficult question in terms of "what he should have known."  

I don't have an answer to your specific question.  The answer to your general question as to why what he knew matters, the answer is mens rea.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

Archived