Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watching the NFL playoffs

Burgold

So, I've watched several of the NFL playoff games over the past two weeks and it just really hammers home how far off we are. The Redskins are not a borderline playoff team. At their best, they are a borderline terrible team. I still think with Alex healthy we make the playoffs, but I'm equally certain we're one and done.

The playoffs have been equally compelling and depressing. Glad the Cowboys lost. Glad the Vikings never made it. Kinda feel good for the Chiefs and kinda am rooting for the Rams. Not sure why I want McVay to do well, but I do. Maybe it's just because he was one we groomed here and he left in a really normal way. He graduated out of the program and it's cool to see him do well in the real world.

Anyway, I try to imagine the Redskins competing with the teams on the NFC and AFC and I just don't see it. I really wouldn't find much joy in edging into the playoffs and losing in a laugher (as the Chargers are right now. Worse is the suspicion that the Chargers would annihilate us.)

I litteraly got on the site to start the same thread. Sitting here watching the Pats really makes you realize how far behind our whole organization is. It really really starts at the top and every position moving down is performing at a high level. Really impressive. 

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How most people see the Redskins.

If someone could please photoshop the faces of Snyder, Allen and Gruden into this it would be perfect 

I was just talking about how masterful Bill B. is in that he schemed a game with plays not seen by other teams in a while and it became circular back to thoughts of how the Skins are so predictable.  We haven't seemed to have had good game plans or in game adjustments since Gibbs.  Sad really....

3 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I know it's all about the fans, so I get it, but talk about the NFL rubbing it in on one of it's players

http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/0ap3000001010298/Fans-attempt-to-make-Cody-Parkey-s-missed-43-yard-FG

I think That was all planned by goose island brewery in Chicago. The point they wanted to get across was that it is in fact harder than most fans realize to kick a 43 yard FG. I dont see that as rubbing it in to Cody Parkey at all honestly 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think That was all planned by goose island brewery in Chicago. The point they wanted to get across was that it is in fact harder than most fans realize to kick a 43 yard FG. I dont see that as rubbing it in to Cody Parkey at all honestly 

Oh, OK. Just saw the video without any story. Thanks.

The staggering thing to me is how much faster every other team is. I don't just mean they have faster players, they play at a faster rhythm. They get plays in quicker, the tempo and overall flow is quicker, just everything.

We play and coach at such a sluggish pace.

The NFL is a passing league and we’ve got this doofus calling a run every first down.

Also, the Redskins could’ve played spoiler and killed the Eagles season.  Instead, here we are watching the Eagles playing to get into the NFC championship game.

The Redskins aren’t even close and a healthy Alex Smith helps nothing.  The whole team is filled with a cancer that starts at the brain.

0 playmakers on offense or defense.  Bruce Allen is building a great d-line but this line will not help moving forward.  None of these bama guys can rush the passer.  

And before you mention CT or reed, those clowns are not worth the headache. This team is full of Ryan Zimmerman who we hope stay healthy so they can produce a good year.

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

0 playmakers on offense or defense.  Bruce Allen is building a great d-line but this line will not help moving forward.  None of these bama guys can rush the passer.  

And before you mention CT or reed, those clowns are not worth the headache. This team is full of Ryan Zimmerman who we hope stay healthy so they can produce a good year.

CT, Reed, Alex Smith.  They’re all just guys. Nothing special at all.  Same with our coach, just a guy.  It seems to me like the ones with exceptional skill are calling out those who just subsist.

16 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Glad you mentioned that first bit. I’ve always thought that and I just didn’t want to be that guy. But yeah, EVERYBODY’s go to is Payne, Allen, and Iannodis but unfortunately none of those guys are elite level, game disrupting pass rushers. Their best attributes (with the exception of 98) is stuffing the run. So while they’re all good players, their best attributes don’t really equate to stopping the top offenses in the league. Basically that’s not all that great of a starting point...

thats why I’m leaning towards next season’s outlook being even more dire than usual. In addition to that, the safety position is back to disaster. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

The NFL is a passing league and we’ve got this doofus calling a run every first down.

Also, the Redskins could’ve played spoiler and killed the Eagles season.  Instead, here we are watching the Eagles playing to get into the NFC championship game.

The Redskins aren’t even close and a healthy Alex Smith helps nothing.  The whole team is filled with a cancer that starts at the brain.

Take notice as the Rams ran the ball down the boys throats and I am hoping Guice and AP will do the same. Also the Rams have the same guys playing the O line every game and every down all season. How many games have our O line starters missed last season. The Eagles are a legit playoff team and we are not with a 4th string QB and guys off the street playing on both sides of the ball so how could we ruin their playoff run? Alex Smith is not elite but he is better than Colt or Sanchez and we have a better chance with him. I never was a A.S. fan but we were in first place when he was in. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, I've watched several of the NFL playoff games over the past two weeks and it just really hammers home how far off we are. The Redskins are not a borderline playoff team. At their best, they are still a borderline terrible team. I still think with Alex healthy we make the playoffs, but I'm equally certain we're one and done.

The playoffs have been equally compelling and depressing. Glad the Cowboys lost. Glad the Vikings never made it. Kinda feel good for the Chiefs and kinda am rooting for the Rams. Not sure why I want McVay to do well, but I do. Maybe it's just because he was one we groomed here and he left in a really normal way. He graduated out of the program and it's cool to see him do well in the real world.

Anyway, I try to imagine the Redskins competing with the teams on the NFC and AFC and I just don't see it. I really wouldn't find much joy in edging into the playoffs and losing in a laugher (as the Chargers are right now. Worse is the suspicion that the Chargers would annihilate us.)

Do you believe the gap between these teams and the Skins is more due to talent/players or coaching?

I say the problem for the Skins is more coaching.  I personally know a lot of Cowboys fans losing their minds over Jason Garret but if they had Gruden they wouldn't even make the playoffs

21 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Take notice as the Rams ran the ball down the boys throats and I am hoping Guice and AP will do the same. Also the Rams have the same guys playing the O line every game and every down all season. How many games have our O line starters missed last season. The Eagles are a legit playoff team and we are not with a 4th string QB and guys off the street playing on both sides of the ball so how could we ruin their playoff run? Alex Smith is not elite but he is better than Colt or Sanchez and we have a better chance with him. I never was a A.S. fan but we were in first place when he was in. 

what we were doing this season is not sustainable long-term.  Those wins could have easily been losses.   None of those wins were convincing.  Waiting for your opponent to make mistakes to win ball games is not a good formula.  Reminds me of Gibbs 2.0.   

The Rams can run the ball down someone's throat because they have the threat to throw for 400 at any given time. 

Just now, hogdirty said:

Do you believe the gap between these teams and the Skins is more due to talent/players or coaching?

I say the problem for the Skins is more coaching.  I personally know a lot of Cowboys fans losing their minds over Jason Garret but if they had Gruden they wouldn't even make the playoffs

I think all NFL players are good.  The difference is scheme and coaching.  

2 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

I'm with you. I think it's more about coaching and I think it's coaching on two levels:

I think our coaches lose the game day chess match and just are outschemed too often

I think our coaches don't instill the rigor or discipline necessary and so we find ourselves guilty of too many sloppy/lack of concentration penalties (delay of game, false start, etc.) On top of that, after 6 years, you'd think Jay Gruden would be able to instill a hurry up offense!

Archived