Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watching the NFL playoffs

Burgold

1 minute ago, Redskin Potatos said:

just....lol. such an abused redskins fan that he doesn't want to live to see the day they get good lol

I would love to see the Redskins relevant again.. always in the playoffs, sometimes deep into the playoffs.. winning SuperBowls...aahhh the glory days ..I'd absolutely love to see it again.

6 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

We will see.   I mean these "good" coaches have to start somewhere don't they?   McVay turned a mediocre Rams team around first year there.  He helped Goff find his way, He has done very well over the past two years.  Until Brady, Belichick had his opportunities with less then stellar results.  Yeah it was with the Brown's but 5 out of 6 years were not good.  His first year with the Patriots, with Bledsoe in 2000 the record was the same as his last with the Browns - 5-11. 

Tom Brady subs for the injured Bledsoe, Belichick sticks with him and they never looked back.  Win their first SB in 2001, after a 5-11 season in 2000.  

Belichick was only in Cleveland for five years, not six.  His first year, he took a team that was 3-13 the year before he got there and got them to 6-10.  He then went 7-9 the next two years, not a bad thing in Cleveland, and then got them to 11-5 and a playoff win his fourth year, 1994.  By the way, it was the last time the Browns have been in the playoffs, never mind won a playoff game.  He had the team out to a 3-1 start in 1995, and then Model announced he was moving the team to Baltimore at the end of the season.  That's when the team fell apart and finished 5-11. What he accomplished in Cleveland was NOT less than stellar all things considered.

McVay seems like a good guy and a very good coach, and i wish him the best, but he he took over a Jeff Fisher team.  There are a lot of Junior High coaches that can coach better than Fisher and get more out of their players.  What is amazing about the Rams is that Fisher kept his job for as long he did there, not that McVay lead them to such a big improvement after Fisher was gone.  Not to say McVay isn't a good coach, but he can't be put on Belichick level just yet.

32 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Belichick was only in Cleveland for five years, not six.  His first year, he took a team that was 3-13 the year before he got there and got them to 6-10.  He then went 7-9 the next two years, not a bad thing in Cleveland, and then got them to 11-5 and a playoff win his fourth year, 1994.  By the way, it was the last time the Browns have been in the playoffs, never mind won a playoff game.  He had the team out to a 3-1 start in 1995, and then Model announced he was moving the team to Baltimore at the end of the season.  That's when the team fell apart and finished 5-11. What he accomplished in Cleveland was NOT less than stellar all things considered.

McVay seems like a good guy and a very good coach, and i wish him the best, but he he took over a Jeff Fisher team.  There are a lot of Junior High coaches that can coach better than Fisher and get more out of their players.  What is amazing about the Rams is that Fisher kept his job for as long he did there, not that McVay lead them to such a big improvement after Fisher was gone.  Not to say McVay isn't a good coach, but he can't be put on Belichick level just yet.

Okay so he had one decent season in Cleveland.  And he was there for five years.  And okay he sucked the next year because Model was going to move the team.  And?  Hey great coaches create great franchises.  Right?

My point was and iS that until Brady came along he was not looking like Coach Almighty.   It is obviously a good combination.   You cannot ignore their success.  

Yeah the Rams sucked the whole time with Jeff Fisher and McVay comes in and turns it around immediately.  You can say whatever you want man but McVay turned that team around. Period.  McVay has been a HC for how long?  Two years.  Got them in the playoffs both years.  McVay is fresh, innovative, let's see what happens. I think they have a shot at winning. 

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I would love to see the Redskins relevant again.. always in the playoffs, sometimes deep into the playoffs.. winning SuperBowls...aahhh the glory days ..I'd absolutely love to see it again.

Which is what the patriots have every single season. Which is what you said you would get tired of 🤔 ask any other redskins fan here if they’d get tired of all the success the patriots have. I guarantee you NOBODY will say they’d get tired of that 😂😂 

40 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Which is what the patriots have every single season. Which is what you said you would get tired of 🤔 ask any other redskins fan here if they’d get tired of all the success the patriots have. I guarantee you NOBODY will say they’d get tired of that 😂😂 

I can give two ****s what other skins fans want and because you weren't around in the glory years you have know idea what I mean.... And the Patriots success is so much more extreme than the Redskins in the 70s and 80s... Redskins were never in three Super bowls in a row.... It felt good not being greedy.. having to have everything..

13 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

And all the talent Fisher put there has nothing to do with McVays success?.. not taking anything away from him I think he's a good coach but he wouldn't be as successful as he is now if he didn't have all the talent that he has there now 

Ummmm there was the perception that Goff was a bust under Fisher.   McVay turned that around.  If Fisher was a decent coach, and couldn't get the best out of Goff, he certainly did not find someone who could.  Sometimes I wonder if the Rams were paying attention to what Pederson did with Foles.  Let me give you another point to think about.  Remember the Rams had Foles?  And he won a SB last year for the Eagles.  He was even the MVP. Foles sucked so miserably under Fisher's tutelage he almost quit football remember?  Then he comes back to Philthy, sits behind Wentz, and we know what happened next.  But you know why it happened.  Because HC Doug Pederson, very similar to what McVay has done for Goff, worked an offensive structure based upon the strengths of Foles. Not some sort of devised offensive system, where you plug the QB into.  That does not always work well all the time.

Good coaches put an offensive structure together that complements the QB, and then plug in players around them.  Bellichick, Pederson and McVay have done that.

50 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Ummmm there was the perception that Goff was a bust under Fisher.   McVay turned that around.  If Fisher was a decent coach, and couldn't get the best out of Goff, he certainly did not find someone who could.  Sometimes I wonder if the Rams were paying attention to what Pederson did with Foles.  Let me give you another point to think about.  Remember the Rams had Foles?  And he won a SB last year for the Eagles.  He was even the MVP. Foles sucked so miserably under Fisher's tutelage he almost quit football remember?  Then he comes back to Philthy, sits behind Wentz, and we know what happened next.  But you know why it happened.  Because HC Doug Pederson, very similar to what McVay has done for Goff, worked an offensive structure based upon the strengths of Foles. Not some sort of devised offensive system, where you plug the QB into.  That does not always work well all the time.

Good coaches put an offensive structure together that complements the QB, and then plug in players around them.  Bellichick, Pederson and McVay have done that.

Very excellent point I completely over looked...how and the **** did we let him(Mcvay)out the door?.. unbelievable!!

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Very excellent point I completely over looked...how and the **** did we let him(Mcvay)out the door?.. unbelievable!!

There was no way the team would fire Gruden and promote McVay, better or worse, it just wasn’t going to happen and he really wanted a HC gig.

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

There was no way the team would fire Gruden and promote McVay, better or worse, it just wasn’t going to happen and he really wanted a HC gig.

I don't understand why not.. as soon as sean started getting calls on head coaching jobs they should have locked him down

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I don't understand why not.. as soon as sean started getting calls on head coaching jobs they should have locked him down

Optics. They had just given Gruden a contract extension for whatever reason. They're stubborn all-around for a myriad of reasons and just want everyone to like them, but feign surprise when they discover no one does. 

Dan Snyder is that loser kid everyone either picked on or hated who thought suddenly getting rich meant everyone would like him. Brucie is only his latest enabler. He had Vinny, Portis, RGIII... this is nothing new.

Who’s to say McVay would have taken the job if offered, anyway? If he’s a half-decent human being, he’d have seen what was up and refused it.

6 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Who’s to say McVay would have taken the job if offered, anyway? If he’s a half-decent human being, he’d have seen what was up and refused it.

He would have laughed walking out with the birdie ....it's unfortunate I have to keep reminding myself of that stuff..

@ntotoro that whole “for whatever reason” that had to do with the redskins giving Gruden the contract extension was because we had just had two straight winning (as in 9-7 and then 8-7-1) seasons in a row, which was the first time since like the 1990’s. That was exciting for redskins fans (at least in the whole “yayyy we don’t suck anymore!!!” Thing) back then. Also, what do you mean by mcvay would’ve seen what was up and refused it? What exactly “was up” back then? If i recall correctly, there was little to no drama with the team back then.

30 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@ntotoro that whole “for whatever reason” that had to do with the redskins giving Gruden the contract extension was because we had just had two straight winning (as in 9-7 and then 8-7-1) seasons in a row, which was the first time since like the 1990’s. That was exciting for redskins fans (at least in the whole “yayyy we don’t suck anymore!!!” Thing) back then. Also, what do you mean by mcvay would’ve seen what was up and refused it? What exactly “was up” back then? If i recall correctly, there was little to no drama with the team back then.

If I could intervene... I think you have a great point about gruden having the two decent back-to-back seasons and that it's understandable how McVay wouldn't get the head coaching job here considering Jay getting an extension. As far as him seeing what "was up" only thing I could think is the handling of Scotty McDoogle the handling of the Kirk cousins situation and how qarcon and jackson was dealt.. just a couple things he seen brewing that showed him signs to get out of town.

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Picture yourself in a job. Say you’re working for a team lead who has just been given a vote of confidence by your manager, a nice raise and a corner office. A week later, that team lead is fired only because you’re kicking ass at your job and he wants to promote you to the other guy’s position. 

Would you take the job or would you say “This is pretty ****ed up” especially knowing the same could happen to you a couple years down the road?

Keep in mind, your manager (the one who did the firing) has a history of being a Napoleonic douche of unimaginable proportions.

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Picture yourself in a job. Say you’re working for a team lead who has just been given a vote of confidence by your manager, a nice raise and a corner office. A week later, that team lead is fired only because you’re kicking ass at your job and he wants to promote you to the other guy’s position. 

Would you take the job or would you say “This is pretty ****ed up” especially knowing the same could happen to you a couple years down the road?

Keep in mind, your manager (the one who did the firing) has a history of being a Napoleonic douche of unimaginable proportions.

One minute we are fed the line that great NFL coaches are just desperate to have a job, and its not their fault they agree to getting into bad situations(Gruden), and the next we are fed that they and their egos would be bothered by a front office and manager so confident in them to make a drastic change in their favor.

Thats total BS, and also pretending like any half decent manager who truly honestly believes you are the next Belichik cant sell you on that vision.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:36 PM, skinsmania123 said:

My point was and iS that until Brady came along he was not looking like Coach Almighty.   It is obviously a good combination.   You cannot ignore their success.  

Bill looks fine every time 20 million of Brady is hurt. 

12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

It was obvious then, we should have kept Mcvay, but we be stupid. 

On 1/27/2019 at 12:29 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Right now the Patriots are playing better football then they did in their undefeated regular season..

giphy.gif

On 1/27/2019 at 9:13 AM, skinsmania123 said:

I am giving you a shot.  The Chiefs got beat because they out schemed.  Their D got smoked.  Either team could have won in retrospect.  It was who had O possession at the end and that was Brady, 

Dee Ford lining up offsides & a coin toss — the Pats needed both, neither of which was in their control. They had a nice game plan, KC has one of the worst defenses in the nfl. 

On 1/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, bakedtater1 said:

They will and he knows it.. looking for love from McVay lovers lol

By the greatest head coach of all time that has the most experience in Super bowls of all times against a coach who's never been in the Super Bowl..hmmmm

Sounds familiar.

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

One minute we are fed the line that great NFL coaches are just desperate to have a job, and its not their fault they agree to getting into bad situations(Gruden), and the next we are fed that they and their egos would be bothered by a front office and manager so confident in them to make a drastic change in their favor.

Thats total BS, and also pretending like any half decent manager who truly honestly believes you are the next Belichik cant sell you on that vision.

I don’t believe I’ve ever said they’re just desperate and thankful for a job. I believe McVay knew deep inside he’d have opportunities and he did. If you’re good, you’re good. I don’t believe anymore the “There are only 32 of of these, so bla, bla, bla” because there’s so much turnover every season.

Do you think Brucie and Danny are capable of selling that to someone like McVay? Norval Gruden, sure. I don’t know about McVay.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@ntotoro explain that again, not sure what that scenario has to do with anything. That wasn’t what happened with the redskins was it? 

McVay got the job from the Rams before Gruden got the extension, at least on paper. If the ‘Skins truly had notion of promoting him, they’d have taken advantage of Gruden’s eventual lame-duck status. It was never going to happen. 

If McVay is still here and the ‘Skins decides to fire Gruden just to promote McVay, do you think McVay accepts or do you think he looks outside the organization? At least 6-7 of these gigs pop up yearly. Sure, the Rams seemed like a good opportunity with a “new” city, but I don’t believe there’s any way at all he stays here, if for just looking at it and thinking how messed up that situation is.

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Bill looks fine every time 20 million of Brady is hurt. 

It was obvious then, we should have kept Mcvay, but we be stupid. 

Yeah 2007.  The only time.  Patriots with a good season in their stellar division need that "clutch" last game of the season and what happened?  Sound familiar?  

Archived