Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watching the NFL playoffs

Burgold

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think all NFL players are good.  The difference is scheme and coaching.  

I agree, I have heard people talk about tanking in 2019 but there is no reason for NFL teams to tank with a full offseason.  You bring in a guy who will right the ship.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The staggering thing to me is how much faster every other team is. I don't just mean they have faster players, they play at a faster rhythm. They get plays in quicker, the tempo and overall flow is quicker, just everything.

We play and coach at such a sluggish pace.

Bingo. This is my biggest criticism of Gruden. There is no flow or tempo. No rhythm. 

26 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think all NFL players are good.  The difference is scheme and coaching.  

There are elite difference makers in the league. We don't have any.

The Saints have at least three on offense in Brees, Thomas and Kamara. Maybe four with Ingram.

Our coaching isn't great but its hard when you have to outscheme/outexecute your opponents every week because you don't have that one guy that can just win a game on his own.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

There are elite difference makers in the league. We don't have any.

The Saints have at least three on offense in Brees, Thomas and Kamara. Maybe four with Ingram.

Our coaching isn't great but its hard when you have to outscheme/outexecute your opponents every week because you don't have that one guy that can just win a game on his own.

but maybe our coaching is so bad that our playmakers are non existent in this scheme. 

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

but maybe our coaching is so bad that our playmakers are non existent in this scheme. 

Unlikely. True talent stands out. I mean, look at Adrian Peterson, even with all the garbage around him he put up 1,000 yards and it was OBVIOUS how good he was. Nobody else in our offense looks like that(save for Reed the few times he's healthy but that hasn't been the case since 2016).

I don't think our coaching is that bad that we're somehow hindering some hidden Antonio Brown or JJ Watt on our team. We have average across the board talent and average to mediocre across the board coaching. That's why we finish 7-9 all the time.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Unlikely. True talent stands out. I mean, look at Adrian Peterson, even with all the garbage around him he put up 1,000 yards and it was OBVIOUS how good he was. Nobody else in our offense looks like that(save for Reed the few times he's healthy but that hasn't been the case since 2016).

I don't think our coaching is that bad that we're somehow hindering some hidden Antonio Brown or JJ Watt on our team. We have average across the board talent and average to mediocre across the board coaching. That's why we finish 7-9 all the time.

Oh i know. Just playing Devils there.  

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm with you. I think it's more about coaching and I think it's coaching on two levels:

I think our coaches lose the game day chess match and just are outschemed too often

I think our coaches don't instill the rigor or discipline necessary and so we find ourselves guilty of too many sloppy/lack of concentration penalties (delay of game, false start, etc.) On top of that, after 6 years, you'd think Jay Gruden would be able to instill a hurry up offense!

I notice some people and local media think Jay Gruden should get another year.  My wish is these people watch these games and see the gap in preparation and execution and realize the Skins need to move away from Gruden NOW.  It's not too late.  Some people want to say Skins have already waited to long to get in the HC search, but the Colts got Frank Reich off the staff of the Superbowl champs.  The same Colts team who made the playoffs and looked more prepared and beat the Skins 21-9 in week 2

Saints vs Kansas in the SB for me. Could go either way but I'd have Kansas squeaking a victory.

That Eagles game was fun. Missed field goal giving up good field position with lots of time on the clock - Eagles down by 6... Alshon misses a straightforward catch and Lattimore scoops the ball for the INT. I thought they were going to march downfield and scrape through again. I enjoy the fact they didn't. A lot.

NFL Team Points per Game

Season:                                                                          2003                                                                         2004                                                                         2005                                                                         2006                                                                         2007                                                                         2008                                                                         2009                                                                         2010                                                                         2011                                                                         2012                                                                         2013                                                                         2014                                                                         2015                                                                         2016                                                                         2017                                                                         2018                                                         
Date: 
Rank Team 2018 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2017
1 Kansas City 35.1 32.3 31.0 32.2 38.2 25.6
2 LA Rams 32.8 36.3 30.0 36.3 28.8 28.9
3 New Orleans 31.5 19.0 14.0 34.1 28.9 27.9
4 New England 27.2 24.0 38.0 32.9 21.6 28.9
5 Pittsburgh 26.8 20.3 16.0 30.0 23.5 26.4
6 LA Chargers 26.5 18.7 23.0 26.6 26.5 22.2
7 Seattle 26.5 29.0 22.0 28.5 24.7 22.9
8 Indianapolis 25.9 22.3 13.0 29.9 22.8 16.4
9 Atlanta 25.9 32.7 34.0 29.5 22.2 21.6
10 Chicago 25.6 17.7 15.0 26.7 24.5 16.5
11 Tampa Bay 24.8 21.3 32.0 22.5 27.0 20.9
12 Houston 24.1 19.0 7.0 23.8 24.4 21.1
13 Baltimore 23.9 21.7 17.0 26.0 21.5 24.7
14 Green Bay 23.5 20.3 0.0 23.8 23.2 20.0
15 Carolina 23.5 17.3 33.0 25.5 21.5 22.9
16 NY Giants 23.1 20.7 35.0 20.2 25.9 15.4
17 Cincinnati 23.0 20.3 13.0 24.1 21.9 18.1
18 Philadelphia 22.5 24.0 16.0 22.6 22.4 29.0
19 Minnesota 22.5 26.0 10.0 22.0 23.0 23.2
20 Cleveland 22.4 22.3 24.0 21.1 23.8 14.6
21 Dallas 21.4 27.3 22.0 24.9 17.9 22.1
22 San Francisco 21.4 22.3 32.0 21.2 21.5 20.7
23 NY Jets 20.8 21.0 3.0 23.5 18.1 18.6
24 Denver 20.6 13.0 9.0 19.5 21.6 18.1
25 Detroit 20.2 17.7 31.0 18.6 21.9 25.6
26 Miami 19.9 13.7 17.0 22.8 17.1 17.6
27 Tennessee 19.4 19.7 17.0 22.2 16.5 20.6
28 Oakland 18.1 15.3 3.0 25.1 12.7 18.8
29 Washington 17.6 10.7 0.0 16.8 18.4 21.4
30 Buffalo 16.8 22.7 42.0 18.9 14.8 17.9
31 Jacksonville 15.3 11.0 3.0 15.7 15.0 25.9
32 Arizona 14.1 15.7 24.0 12.2 15.9 18.4

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I enjoyed watching AP play for us this season and you can tell he is in a different level at talent than most players we have even at his age for a RB. I felt bad for him in a lot of games because sometimes our pass offense sucks for most of the time that the Ds would mostly defend the run but he would still make some nice runs. Hopefully Guice can come back from injury and shine. 

Watching the Patriots and Chiefs score with ease is kind of depressing when I think about how we struggle so much to put points on the board. 

Absolutely true and great post. The level of talent on display is so much better than the mess we come out with. The speed and intelligence these teams play with, meanwhile...Morgan Moses always jumps offsides (example). It’s embarrassing.

Agree 100% with the OP.  Skins aren't anywhere close.  It's not the coaching IMO.  Skins have had three assistants leave and become head coaches.  McVay and Kyle Shanahan leave and get better results when they have better talent.  The difference in talent level is obvious.  The top 3-4 receivers on each of the playoff teams seem better than any of the Skins.  Top 2 RBs ditto.  The Skins OL when healthy (and it's never healthy) doesn't do a better job.  Skins DBs aren't as good in single coverage.  LBs are slow.  The Skins Dline has the most talent and it's on par with the playoff teams but there's no elite edge rusher.

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

We are close.... we just didn't have depth and didn't account for 5th stringers to be starters.... We were 2 games ahead in the division (in which two teams made it to divisional rounds) before Smith went down.

how quickly we forget...

To be considered "close", IMO, you have to have demonstrated the capability to at least hang with a good team. 

So only counting the Alex Smith portion of the season when they were relatively healthy, they completely no-showed the Colts and Saints and beat the Cowboys, when the Cowboys were scuffling.  Their wins to get to 6 were not compelling such that I would think they're close to anything.  

Just now, justice98 said:

To be considered "close", IMO, you have to have demonstrated the capability to at least hang with a good team. 

So only counting the Alex Smith portion of the season when they were relatively healthy, they completely no-showed the Colts and Saints and beat the Cowboys, when the Cowboys were scuffling.  Their wins to get to 6 were not compelling such that I would think they're close to anything.  

bottom line, we were 6-3 during one of the toughest stretches in football. Both the Saints and Colts were in the divisional rounds this past weekend and I fully expect the Saints to be hoisting the Lombardi trophy this year. We then finished one of the easier stretches of football going 1-6.

Who cares if we were 6-3.  We ended up 7-9 and that is all that matters.  Everyone who knows anything about football knows that at 6-3 there was no way this team could sustain that pace due to how those games played out.  They were over achieving and I loved every minute of it.  We are no where NEAR being a 'legit' 6-3 team.

Or maybe they can do the Bucs gameplan every game and have success.  Let the other team march down the field then just get a turnover in the redzone, since it's so easy.  Other teams will have 500 yards a game but will only have 3 points.  That's easy to sustain!

Our coaching sucks.  Jay has the new 'Eli face' looking clueless as hell on the sideline.  He is completely predictable, this team has no discipline at all, and he cannot make any type of in game adjustments.  **** if he didn't call a stupid ass 2pt conversion after a meaningless TD against the Saints, CT may not have been injured so long this season.  But nope, he made a dumbass decision.

The team takes on his identity.  They are too laid back and just act like they don't care.  It grinds my gears when they would do those player interviews that I would hear on the radio, and all I would hear is ping pong balls in the background.  Like nearly every damn interview was like that.  

I've always felt that the Gruden version of the Redskins could best be summed up in saying they can beat the teams that normally beat themselves. 

If a team is prone to messing up we'll be there to take the win. If the only way to get the win is to outright beat a team we are done. 

Under this logic how the schedule and division goes is more important that what we do. This also means when we play against playoff caliber teams we typically lose. 

This goes beyond Gruden, but there's a reason why we haven't had more than 10 wins since 1991. The only time we win the division is when the other teams suck. 

3 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

How about New Orleans Head Coach going for 4th down with fake punt with the ball near their own 30 yard line AND with Eagles first team defense on the field expecting the fake field goal and Eagles still could not stop that play.   For years many Skins Head Coaches have been risk averse.  

There is no comparing Sean Payton to Jay Gruden. Payton is an offensive master with genius level tactics and strategizing. Gruden would struggle to beat my 3 year old nephew in checkers.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no comparing Sean Payton to Jay Gruden. Payton is an offensive master with genius level tactics and strategizing. Gruden would struggle to beat my 3 year old nephew in checkers.

Nah, Gruden is the kind of guy who can't quite figure out tic tac toe. The rules of the game baffle him.

I think what stood out to me the most is that it feels like the actual playoffs don't start until the divisional round.  That is when the "we scraped into the playoffs via a few lucky bounces during the season" teams tend to go down.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, sometimes good teams get hot at the right time of the year and started in a hole so that the wildcard is the best they can achieve at the time, however for the most part this weekend seemed like a real difference.  

The way the Rams just physically pushed the Cowboys all over the field.  Had they been able to finish a couple of drives earlier in the game, that one would have been a blow out.

Also, the playoffs show that having a franchise QB makes a difference, and if you don't have one, whoever is filling in, better be having the game(s) of their life.

Archived