Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

Something I just thought of when I was listening to some post game items. The field is horrible. It's been that way for quite some time. Here's a short little article

It shows a vid of Cousins trying to get the ball out, but his foot gets 'stuck' in the grass. 

Anyway, it's a garbage field. Our players knees/backs/bodies are subject to it at least 8 times a year, so if it's even a bit worse than the normal playing surface it will wear on our players exponentially more. 

Maybe it's soft practices

Maybe it's selecting players based on skill alone (need to balance skill with durability, i.e., Ryan Kerrigan)

Maybe it's the training staff

Maybe it's something else

Whatever it is, I can't understand why the Skins management and coaches can't figure it out. Some teams regularly have fewer games lost by starters than other teams. Is it too difficult a task to figure out what they do differently? Same goes for penalties. Whatever it is, FIGURE IT OUT!!!

I agree it's many factors but disagree with some of the causes. Here is my list: 

1. Keeping and signing players wit injury histories. There is a long list of players on this team that have injury histories. Some drafted by us others signed as FAs. This to me is the #1 factor. Bruce does his bargain basement thing with players. He can get players with injury histories cheaper than other players. And then they are surprised when they get injured.  

2. Poor training facilities. Many players leaving the team have commented on the outdated facilities the team has. Dan S is too cheap to put money in the facilities and it is costing the players in terms of health. 

3. The CBA - yes the CBA. Per mangameslost.com, the man games lost due to injury have gone up from 4662 in 2010 (CBA signed in 2011) to 7548 for 2017 (2018 has not been finalized). The numbers by years, with the Redskins and then league average are: 

image.png.7cc9b3f1fa4eff16a54dad910be946ee.png

It's my belief the CBA is causing softer practices by all teams and them Jay is even a bit softer. But all these CBA rules the players got in so they wold not have to work so hard in training camp is backfiring on them in terms of injuries. 

Also, notice the Redskins were above league average almost every year from 2010 on, including 2010 and 2012 when Jay was not here. Jay may own a very small bit of this, but this data shows me the type players signed and poor facilities is more to blame for the teams more than league average injuries most years, not Jay Gruden. 

So, just like everything else wrong with this team, it all traces back to two people - Dan and Bruce. Poor facilities and signing the wrong players. 

On 12/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, goskins10 said:

I agree it's many factors but disagree with some of the causes. Here is my list: 

1. Keeping and signing players wit injury histories. There is a long list of players on this team that have injury histories. Some drafted by us others signed as FAs. This to me is the #1 factor. Bruce does his bargain basement thing with players. He can get players with injury histories cheaper than other players. And then they are surprised when they get injured.  

So, just like everything else wrong with this team, it all traces back to two people - Dan and Bruce. Poor facilities and signing the wrong players. 

I think your fist point is most of the story. I was just wondering how much better our LB'ers would look in coverage next year if we start Reuben Foster and SDH, and then I immediately thought that it would be unwise to count on SDH to remain healthy and serve as a critical cog. It's just like going into next year, planning on Jordan Reed or Chris Thompson being healthy, which is exactly the kind of thing we would do, and have done. The best example of this might be counting on Lauvao this year. It was always going to end the way it did. 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:25 PM, volsmet said:

Soft leadership. Soft practices. Soft team. 

Agree in part but I also think the Skins have signed some players who are know to be injury prone and that mixes with some bad luck and mixed with soft practices etc are ultimately the reason. 

Leading the league in injuries 2 years in a row is not a coincidence. 

The players arent taking care of themselves like they should be. Look at Ryan Kerrigan, the dude lives in the gym and you can tell. Hes never injured, probably eats right and stretches properly and practices hard every practice. Hes been one of the few that's looked past the soft culture and puts in the work.

Kerrigan is a good point.

Never missed a start in his entire career.

So, if there's something that someone in the organization is doing wrong, it's odd how it never rubbed off on Kerrigan.

Maybe when he retires, he should be in charge of strength, conditioning, etc.

Although,  it does seem like 80 to 90% of our injuries are on offense, so that could point to something different.

This week the SF 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan fired their training staff due to excessive injuries.  I would not keep the same training staff for two years ago given the rash of injuries.  I know some injuries do not allow the players to come back quicker but with a good training staff once injuries occur the staff can play an important role in making sure their rehabilitation routines are followed.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, Unbias said:

Something I just thought of when I was listening to some post game items. The field is horrible. It's been that way for quite some time. Here's a short little article

It shows a vid of Cousins trying to get the ball out, but his foot gets 'stuck' in the grass. 

Anyway, it's a garbage field. Our players knees/backs/bodies are subject to it at least 8 times a year, so if it's even a bit worse than the normal playing surface it will wear on our players exponentially more. 

Thats true, the field is not in good shape.

However, it's only part of the problem, because we seem to have similar injury results at Away games.

I believe the Redskins disregard a very important aspect of evaluating players. And that aspect is durability. Durability is like gluttony is to sin (if you're a religious type). Its a highly disregarded sin, but is ultimately the highest cause of death. So when you have a great player that can't stay on the field due to durability issues, your team suffers. Now with that being said, the Redskins are also cursed.

3 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I believe the Redskins disregard a very important aspect of evaluating players. And that aspect is durability. Durability is like gluttony is to sin (if you're a religious type). Its a highly disregarded sin, but is ultimately the highest cause of death. So when you have a great player that can't stay on the field due to durability issues, your team suffers. Now with that being said, the Redskins are also cursed.

Not cursed. Just bad decision makers. 

I was wondering though. Does anyone think it increases wear on the OL to emphasize a power running scheme and pounding the ball. It seems like that would wear down a body much more than dropping in pass pro. 

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Not cursed. Just bad decision makers. 

I was wondering though. Does anyone think it increases wear on the OL to emphasize a power running scheme and pounding the ball. It seems like that would wear down a body much more than dropping in pass pro. 

OL prefer going forward. Pass pro is like boxing. The aggressor is the one that brings the pain. Going backwards with a 300+ pound guy pushing you is worse.

But you alleviate it by being more dynamic with the pass game. Quicker passes. Not these slow developing routes Gruden has these guys running.

Someone said WR are running wide open. The problem with that is when they're running open. Is it 2 seconds into the route or 4? 3 seconds is normally a busted play.

You are right about the bad decision making.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Unbias said:

How many times have we seen this team hit this field or any field and right off the bat we see players slipping all over the place while the opponents are not? To make matter worse, it seems that it takes them forever before they decide to switch to a longer length cleat?

Its a number of reasons why, and other posters have touched on the possible reasons, but it boils down to a handful of people who are at fault, but these people aren't going anywhere soon, so I'm not getting my hopes up for next season. I'm sure by week 5 the injury list will once again be one of, if not the highest. Until an honest and serious look into why, and a conscious effort is made to start somewhere, it will be status quo.

Factors:

Environment(training facilities, field conditions)

Training habits(undertraining doesnt prepare the body to withstand the rigors of a season)

Positional elements(certain positions are much more likely to get.injured, and within that, to get certain types of injuries) 

S and C- there are lots of injury prevention programs and ways of training, specifically for muscle ruptures, ACL and ankle.sprains. 

Injury prone players signing with team. 

To be honest, with all the players who have gotten injured, particularly so many newcomers to the offensive line, I'm beginning to think a lot of it may be play calling/scheme that for whatever reason puts them at higher risk. Possibly field. 

In my opinion we draft and sign too many players with injury histories. Examples Chris Thompson and Paul Richardson. The Alex Smith injury was a freak injury. Just bad luck. But too many of these guys on the roster are just injury prone. I'm not saying our practice habits and training camp have nothing to do with it. But to me we just employ far too many injury prone guys.

Broken wrists or legs have nothing to do with training or conditioning. They're just bad luck.

But all the hammy, ankle, sore foot type injuries, THAT is on strength/conditioning/fitness.

I also don't think we do enough in regards to injury PREVENTION. Recovery is great and all but the best teams don't even let their players get hurt in the first place.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's people who say injuries aren't an excuse.

All 5 of the Rams' OL starters started all 16 games.

I bet that had something to do with their huge success.

Oh, so if the Rams had also made poor training and practice choices and lost 2 OL starters to injury they wouldnt have made the playoffs?

Cute.

Oh yeah, and of course the Colts didnt make it with their massive injury list.... Neither did the Seahawks with almost leading the league in most valuable players injuried.  No coming back from that...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived