Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I just heard a fascinating story about how the air traffic controllers manipulated this whole situation for maximum effect.  Will take awhile to type out and involves citations to legal memos and stuff , so I can't get to it until later.

Okay, so Friday afternoons my law firm brings in pizza and beer for everyone to chill out at the end of the week.  We've got a few people that formerly worked in government or public policy.  According to them, this is how it went down:

I guess as background, it is evidently well known that nothing pisses off congresspeople more than flight delays, because they spend so much time traveling back and forth to their constituents and families.  NATCA, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association knows this.

So last week, the only budget related law to pass congress was on January 16, called the Fair Treatment of Government Employees Act.  https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/24  This is the one that authorized back pay to impacted employees.

So, NATCA circulated a legal memo to all of its employees last night explaining how they interpreted the law.  The memo basically said that the new law will both pay controllers for their normal sick time (which is protected by old law) but they would not be charged sick leave according to the new law   WHY WOULD A MEMO EXPLICITLY SAY THAT?

Well, here is how it was interpreted:

"I would never imply that we are going to abuse sick leave , and the mere suggestion that we're doing so to get free leave is considered a job action punishable by law.....however it IS cold and flu season and our contractual protections regarding sick leave still apply so I personally wouldn't be surprise if people's self assessment regarding their fitness for duty becomes more stringent. "

In other words, NATCA circulated a legal memo to its employees disguising instructions for a sick-out today, and that probably broke the shutdown. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The “new left kittens” wanted Pelosi to be speaker.

The old chihuahuas were the ones who didn’t. 

You can make the arguement it was both,  but all started to change when she started sitting down with anyone that actually wanted to challenge her. Even AOC which was protesting outside her office made clear her support AFTER Pelosi did same thing with her.

Article is list of people who officially said no, can see number that were newly elected coming in.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/15/18095869/nancy-pelosi-speaker-votes-democrats-letter

A lot of people came in wanting change at multiple levels,  but some realized this wasn't the time to do it for speaker sooner then others when it finally got time to actually pick someone else.  That's jus an observation along with people my age I've talked to wanting someone different as well, I did, too, until i realized no one was really bout that life except Pelosi right now.  

I’ve watched Fox News for about the last half hour and they’re good!!!  If I didn’t have other sources of info I could see buying in.  I could feel the emotion and if I hadn’t known the facts were completely incorrect I could have bought in!!  Crazy!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I’ve watched Fox News for about the last half hour and they’re good!!!  If I didn’t have other sources of info I could see buying in.  I could feel the emotion and if I hadn’t known the facts were completely incorrect I could have bought in!!  Crazy!

You have my sympathies

I am amazed at the comments by Murkowski publicly, and reporting from the GOP weekly Senate lunch. They allowed Trump to trap them in this shutdown. Its not like half of them weren't as around for the last rounds.

Amazing that once McConnell decided to end it -- and I believe he didn't want it-- it was done.

I don't even know if Trump was involved today - but it was a "Congress is done with this." Again, very similar bill to what Schumer had on the table yesterday.

I just saw a car commercial with a shootout discount for those affected by the shutdown.  Initial reaction seems more oppurtnuistic then anything else, am I overthinking this?

11 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Sometimes tune because I already know what everyone else is going to say.  Most times it's exactly what you just described, so its weird when I see them seem normal. 

It's frustrating what they could be if they wanted to be, and this is coming from someone who doesnt want political bias on either side, jus accepting I'm too idealistic sometimes 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

She won't.  She's trying not to rub it in, which is fine; she's still gotta deal with Trump for another year, 11 months and 25 days (but who's counting). 

As noted previously, the position of some senior Dems in Congress is that Trump's new wall would be a "monument to hatred". Their words, not mine. 

3 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Foolish to claim victory...playing right into Trumps hand shoulda just thanked him and begun negotiating with the intent to reach a deal to keep the government open permanently then by all means claim victory....

thank him for what exactly?

grown ass toddler still needs his ego stroked despite doing nothing to actually earn it. **** that and **** him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Foolish to claim victory...playing right into Trumps hand shoulda just thanked him and begun negotiating with the intent to reach a deal to keep the government open permanently then by all means claim victory....

Ah, yes, I forgot, Trump is playing 13th dimensional chess.

Except these events added...A WHOLE 'NOTHER DIMENSION!

Now he's playing 14th dimensional chess!

StarTrekChess.jpg

• Haha 3