Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The One & Only Josh Johnson Jubilation Jamboree thread

TK

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not minimizing your view by referring to the number of engagements -- how can I be doing that when I characterize myself the same way in the same post on the Bruce Allen argument and others on the Jay stuff?  

It’s not a big issue, just have been surprised by you coming at it from that angle. The topic does fascinate me (obviously), because so many layers exist. It’s less relative now as the Smith stock has plummeted.

I am just pointing out that you are so relentless on that Alex front that you might be seeing ghosts on the topic when they aren't there -- whether its my post you responded to or in the Alex thread where we are talking about the injury with new information on that front and you pivot to Alex is a winner debate right in the middle of that -- when the discussion was about him healing in that moment.  No one was rooting or happy that he got hurt.    We are all rooting for him to get better.    We all like the dude.   

About 5-7 of us who really seem to care about discussing it on the board. I’d say us 5-7 fall in line with your “relentless” label lol, whichever side you fall on. 

But my thought is if your true interest is about ball control like you've suggested in some posts.  And if you can make that point without peppering it with complements about Alex's 2018 season  (And maybe you are doing so and am missing it, I've not read all your posts -- so if you are doing just that than sorry for missing it.) I think you'd get more engagement on that point without Alex debate creeping in which I think takes it off topic -- that's all.

He was a positive variable overall to the team this year. Not peppering this in, its how I feel. Do I think there was room to improve on his part, no doubt. Did he have bad games? Yes. Good games? Yes. Average games? Yes. 

And that's not because people dislike Alex -- I've said multiple times, the dude reminds me of my sense of humor and shares similar interests more than any QB we've had -- so I dig the dude personally.  And I am one of the more open people here on the idea that he'd play better with better weapons and that he'd likely improve over time.  But selling me on what I saw this year as to his play as a model for what I'd like to see moving forward or its some prototype of a good ball control offense -- to me that's "meh".  And I am not alone on that front.  I do not think his 2018 season is a model of the type of offense I want even if its purely in the context of ball control.  In short, you can be a ball control driven QB who plays really well too -- to me an example of that is Russell Wilson or the 2017 Alex Smith but not the 2018 Alex Smith IMO. 

Dislike Alex? I’m not here defending him as a dude or family man. Can absolutely careless. I don’t know him and he doesn’t know me lol. Not saying that to be a jerk, but I haven’t given one thought about how people on here feel about him as a man, you know. 

I just wanted a winning season and more to follow. So, if 2014, 2015, 2016 Alex brand of football led to similar success without the numbers, I was cool with it. Once I looked into the numbers of Smith led teams it became clearer to why he’s married to his conservative style (TO differential, low sack yardage, individual and team rushing). You are and were not. I truly just care about winning, not how it’s done. Once this happens, then im down to get picky. 

It fascinates me, because I do feel people are missing the “intangibles” he provides and his situational awareness, so I like to engage in discussions about it. To be honest, his injury makes it pointless.  

Im sure we’ll engage in a few more discussions, but it’s clear where we both land on this discussion. 

Lets getem Joshua Johnson! 

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

He was a positive variable overall to the team this year. Not peppering this in, its how I feel. Do I think there was room to improve on his part, no doubt. Did he have bad games? Yes. Good games? Yes. Average games? Yes. 

My point is if you want to engage in a point about ball control, you might get more engagement that doesn't go off that topic if you don't package that point almost always it seems with a complement of Alex's 2018 season as part of your point.   That's all.  And since you are the dude you likes to delve into his career and push it including in the post to me yesterday even though my post wasn't challenging Alex that way -- I was just reassuring you I've got no issues with Alex the dude or his career, am talking purely his 2018 season.  😀   So if you want to push his 2017 season, I am not arguing otherwise.  

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

Lets getem Joshua Johnson! 

As for Josh Johnson, geez watching the NFL shows this week you'd think we got a high school QB starting and we are playing the Patriots.  Heck even a Tennessee reporter jumped on 980 (typically opponent reporters are polite about their team's chances) and said he expects the Titans to cover the spread and more some.   Hence, I am intrigued because while I don't know what to make of him, his legs add a wild card dynamic -- I don't see this as being as wretched of a matchup as NFL pundit types predict.  If they win it would fit a shock the world type victory. 

@Skinsinparadise I loved the idea of putting them both on the field at the same time almost 100% of the time.  Spread the field, and force the Titans to cover sideline to sideline.  

If we pack everybody in and try to run AP inside, it’s going to get stuffed 90% of the time because 1. It’s predictable as the sunrise and 2. Our OL/TE situation is bad.

This is the type of creativity I’m looking for from Jay.  Just do SOMETHING, ANYTHING that then opponent couldn’t get film on from watching any game film from 2014 until now.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This play from last Sunday with both Marshall and Thompson on the field at the same time -- though didn't yield a big play -- I'd go to that well several times today with all the receiving options out today.  Be interesting to see how heavy read option they go.

Yes, yes, yes...

Jay must create easy chunk yardage plays for Johnson to establish a rhythm of some sort for him. Let the few playmakers decide a large part of the game through getting the ball im their hands with YAC opportunities. Mix in the threat of jet swee action through out to increase running lanes for AP up the middle. Have to get the titans moving side to side to allow AP to hammer it in the middle. 

With that said, this goes waaaaaay outside Jays comfort zone and core beliefs, but it may been encouraging to see a bit of it. It can’t be small sample sizes, he must create a game plan around it, IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Johnson is a mediocre QB, but he beats what we have, McCoy included. I'd keep him for next year as well.

I've always been of the belief that backup QBs should at the very least be mobile. That way they can pick up easy yards scrambling on junk plays.

If I ran the team I'd use next year as a throw away year while nuking the roster and absorbing dead cap hits. Let JJ be the sacrificial lamb QB and just run a bunch of read option/college stuff. Maybe by midseason we can artificially boost his trade value and net a 5th rounder or something for him.

100% sign me up for Josh starting season next year as the Skins QB. He has something to him.  I’m good with him and Colt battling for the top spot next year. This is the move financially to make with Alex’s deal as well .

Man, they played such a great game throughout. One of the tougher losses in the last few seasons. 

2 hours ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

That last INT was ALL Josh Doctson.  Is anyone even remotely surprised?  Watch the replay again.  Josh stopped his route.  The QB threw the ball where he was SUPPOSE to run.
Josh Doctson.  You suck.

I thought the same thing, #18 stopped his route

4 hours ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

That last INT was ALL Josh Doctson.  Is anyone even remotely surprised?  Watch the replay again.  Josh stopped his route.  The QB threw the ball where he was SUPPOSE to run.

Hard to say, but it looks like the pass should have gone to Sprinkle

1 hour ago, dyst said:

This team will force feed us Colt or go after someone like Flacco or another old expensive QB. If we don’t draft a young QB then use next year as a tank year and really bottom out.

I don't think there's really any good QBs coming out in the draft for us to get; at least nothing I've heard about.

But Josh Johnson played a helluva lot better than I thought he'd play, and IMO he deserves to get a chance to compete next year; I mean, this team isn't going anywhere next year, and thanks to Bruce Allen the Alex Smith contract really stuck one up where the sun doesn't shine to this team. God I hate that man with a passion unheard of.

Johnson played much better than Sanchez.

Compared to an average NFL starter, I wasn't incredibly impressed today.

Outside of the 30 yard strike to crowder and sctamble throw to Doctson, the passing game was wanting. JJs pocket presence wasn't great either, he took a horrible sack to the 2 yard line and another that made a longer FG... because he couldn't get the ball out.

He missed a throw to Doctson early when he was open deep.

This is with an effective running game... the passing game did little today, unfortunately.

I trust that Jay G is protecting Johnson by not opening up long developing plays...

On the flip side JJ shows a lot of heart and fire and I am rooting he can stick around here or elsewhere a bit more.

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is my assessment of the game :

3 quarters, Josh played like Alex Smith.

The 4th quarter, he was Kirk Cousins

We really are a franchise beaten into submission when we're serious about this guy being our primary backup next year.  Sorry, but **** that, media talking like they need something talk about, but knows f that.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If I ran the team I'd use next year as a throw away year while nuking the roster and absorbing dead cap hits. Let JJ be the sacrificial lamb QB and just run a bunch of read option/college stuff. Maybe by midseason we can artificially boost his trade value and net a 5th rounder or something for him.

Absolutely 100% on board. Id be happy if you offered me a season of suck in 2019 with a top 5 pick in 2020. We need a complete reset and sucking it up for a year by going nuclear with dead cap hits and frontloading a few deals for players we are renewing etc is the only way we can put this franchise in a position to succeed.

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

100% sign me up for Josh starting season next year as the Skins QB. He has something to him.  I’m good with him and Colt battling for the top spot next year. This is the move financially to make with Alex’s deal as well .

Man, they played such a great game throughout. One of the tougher losses in the last few seasons. 

I am somewhat close to this.  Am not a Colt guy at all because even if I bought into the new improved version (and I am skeptical on that front) am not buying that the dude is all of a sudden durable -- he's been almost as fragile in his career as Bradford.

If we consider context here.  Johnson's been learning the offense for 2 weeks and faced back to back two of the best defenses in the league and with the most battered O line in the league with hardly any weapons.  Heck his TEs yesterday were Flanagan and Sprinkle. 

You actually give the dude some protection and weapons with speed and a whole off season to prepare?  I think he'd play better.  I like his personality-attitude.  So I've been much more impressed than I expected.  My caution is its a small sample size.    I am curious to see what he does next week against an Eagles team that has a lot on the line.

We've disagreed on issues relating to QB.  But one point where we converge is I am ok and even like a ball control approach but for me its IF the QB can also bring another dynamic, too -- for me its like Russell Wilson who if he's forced to go shoot out he could do it -- but another dynamic which I recall you like to add juice to a ball control dynamic is a QB who is a serious threat with his legs.  I am on board with that.   Johnson to me on that front is L. Jackson light. 

The interesting dynamic to Johnson is I think with him even more so you'd want to add speed to the backfield and someone who can go deep so that reawakens my man crush on Marquise Brown in this draft. 

And for those who are skeptical about Josh.  I don't feel that strongly about it where I'd argue.  I'd understand skepticism -- he was off the street, the sample size is small.  But if this is just a tease -- I am falling for the tease some at the moment.  And I've not fallen heavily but if he plays like he did and I grade him on a curve -- Jay loves to stress and it makes sense to me that people have no idea how hard it is to jump into an offense deep into the season and learning a playbook and build instant rapport with your playmakers -- he's done that and against two of the best defenses in the league. 

So I like the short sample I've seen and I am more intrigued by him than Colt. 

Archived