Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The One & Only Josh Johnson Jubilation Jamboree thread

TK

just stumbled on this, making similar points

https://riggosrag.com/2018/12/23/redskins-titans-five-takeaways-2018/3/

No. 4 – The Redskins may have found quarterback insurance for 2019 uncertainty

At the position which requires the most security in football, the Redskins have perhaps the least security of any team in the league. Alex Smith‘s time table for return is clouded. Colt McCoy’s durability is a long-term concern. And Mark Sanchez shouldn’t have a role in the room moving forward.

Smith’s contract demands that the Redskins wait for his return, if it does happen. But while that situation remains suspended in the air, Washington may have stumbled upon a temporary solution in Josh Johnson.

Johnson’s two interceptions at the end of the Titans game may cultivate a negative recency bias among onlookers, but to say the signal caller performed poorly would be a misjudgment. With sixth and seventh stringers on the offensive line, third and fourth stringers in the pass catching core, and only two weeks of experience in Washington’s offense, Johnson managed to give the unit life, against two fairly stringent defenses.

Johnson’s stats after two games and one quarter aren’t eye-popping. He completed 40 of 64 passes, accruing 499 yards, three touchdowns, and three interceptions. He wasn’t able to withstand all of Washington’s unforgiving faults. But he showed remarkable poise and ability to run the offense with minimal preparation. His combination of athleticism and arm strength restarted an offense in neutral.

It wouldn’t be brash to say Johnson looked better than Colt McCoy in his short audition for a new job in the NFL. The San Diego product did more than enough to earn a place next season, and with so much uncertainty looming at the quarterback position, the Redskins may regret it if they don’t give him the first call.

14 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Johnson is a mediocre QB, but he beats what we have, McCoy included. I'd keep him for next year as well.

Curious what you saw as mediocre? 

The sample size prevents me from going all in on defending the guy, but nothing I’ve seen is mediocre, especially game against Titans. 

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am somewhat close to this.  Am not a Colt guy at all because even if I bought into the new improved version (and I am skeptical on that front) am not buying that the dude is all of a sudden durable -- he's been almost as fragile in his career as Bradford.

Agree on colt. Just don’t want to get too far ahead myself and cut Colt for Johnson a guy who’s played two games lol. His injuries issues are real.

Getting a young arm in the mix is of some value. Don’t want to get a guy to just get a guy though. As you’ve lamented many times, I trust Jay to find a good one. 

If we consider context here.  Johnson's been learning the offense for 2 weeks and faced back to back two of the best defenses in the league and with the most battered O line in the league with hardly any weapons.  Heck his TEs yesterday were Flanagan and Sprinkle.

Pretty remarkable. Talent in the red zone especially is critical.

You actually give the dude some protection and weapons with speed and a whole off season to prepare?  I think he'd play better.  I like his personality-attitude.  So I've been much more impressed than I expected.  My caution is its a small sample size.    I am curious to see what he does next week against an Eagles team that has a lot on the line.

The sample is a must mention, but his composure in various situations screamed through the screen. His ability to remain calm and disciplined with his eyes when moving the pocket or scrambling is pretty special. 

We've disagreed on issues relating to QB.  But one point where we converge is I am ok and even like a ball control approach but for me its IF the QB can also bring another dynamic, too -- for me its like Russell Wilson who if he's forced to go shoot out he could do it -- but another dynamic which I recall you like to add juice to a ball control dynamic is a QB who is a serious threat with his legs.  I am on board with that.   Johnson to me on that front is L. Jackson light. 

Yes!Controlling the flow of game (ball control), no doubt still has value.

In today’s game, the QB being mobile enough to consistently create plays to compliment the run game is almost a requirement, IMHO. Johnson provides this element just enough and I like the Wilson comparison, even on speed level— both are probably 4.7 guys these days. 

Lamar Jackson represents the extreme and one I’m on board with 100%. It will become the new modern day ground and pound.

Respect to the Ravens for having the foresight to go with it, dating all the way back to the draft. Not saying it’s THE way to build a team, but the Ravens are legit Super Bowl contenders with a rookie QB. Jackson provides is a predictable variables in a game of chaos. Fascinating to see unfold and all the old heads stumble all over themselves when trying to fit it in to their “box” of what the NFL should be, especially from the QB. 

Way off track lol

The interesting dynamic to Johnson is I think with him even more so you'd want to add speed to the backfield and someone who can go deep so that reawakens my man crush on Marquise Brown in this draft. 

More talent, more talent, more talent lol, I’m with you. They need to inject the offense with some dudes to make the vets uncomfortable. 

***Also, please continue to mention names you like via the draft, as I’m not as passionate about the draft. I know you’ve shared how much love it, so It’d be nice to read up on some guys you think are a good fit. 

And for those who are skeptical about Josh.  I don't feel that strongly about it where I'd argue.  I'd understand skepticism -- he was off the street, the sample size is small.  But if this is just a tease -- I am falling for the tease some at the moment.  And I've not fallen heavily but if he plays like he did and I grade him on a curve -- Jay loves to stress and it makes sense to me that people have no idea how hard it is to jump into an offense deep into the season and learning a playbook and build instant rapport with your playmakers -- he's done that and against two of the best defenses in the league. 

Tough to argue, for sure. 

Im sold on him deserving a shot to compete for the job next year. I don’t think that’s too crazy. 

So I like the short sample I've seen and I am more intrigued by him than Colt. 

100% agree. 

Just want to add...

Burleson mentioned how Titans safety Byard said Johnson is a one read, tuck it and run qb.  Well, with just a handful of practice days (after the Jax game), Johnson turned into a qb that scrambled with his eyes downfield.  

He turned down the quick pass to the outside and found Sprinkle across the middle.  Turned down (what looked to be) multiple options and went with a nice touch pass to Thompson out of the backfield - he had some pretty sweet touch and accuracy on that pass on (what looked to be) an unscripted route.  

That was an impressive change almost overnight.  

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Curious what you saw as mediocre? 

The sample size prevents me from going all in on defending the guy, but nothing I’ve seen is mediocre, especially game against Titans. 

The first interception he threw in the last game makes me doubtful. Watching the video of it that BleedBNG posted, it looks like he had Sprinkle wide open but forced it into a tighter window, one which Gruden said he wasn't even supposed to be looking in. I put 4th quarter ball security at a premium. Johnson did well enough the first 3 quarters, but turnovers when the game is on the line hurt my view of him.

The second thing that concerned me was his last interception. I assume it was supposed to be a hail mary, but it went so short.... Was that as far as he can throw the ball? About 30 yards?

On December 16, 2018 at 7:21 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe I was seeing things, but it appeared that Josh has a cannon arm. I’d imagine if he was accurate though, he wouldn’t be on his 12th team.  

Exactly.  I give JJ a ton of credit for doing his best but he definitely isn't a SB level QB like Kaep and it shows.  If this front office was committed to winning, JJ would be backing up Kaep and it's a great chance we would be in the thick of playoff talks.  But this franchise isn't serious about winning.

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The first interception he threw in the last game makes me doubtful. Watching the video of it that BleedBNG posted, it looks like he had Sprinkle wide open but forced it into a tighter window, one which Gruden said he wasn't even supposed to be looking in. I put 4th quarter ball security at a premium. Johnson did well enough the first 3 quarters, but turnovers when the game is on the line hurt my view of him.

The second thing that concerned me was his last interception. I assume it was supposed to be a hail mary, but it went so short.... Was that as far as he can throw the ball? About 30 yards?

Pretty sure that ball traveled further than 30 yards, and we were not remotely in range of the endzone so it didn't really matter. It was just a non-give up play from Gruden, rather than kneeling which he's been killed for here before. 

Don't get me wrong--I think JJ is mediocre too. Just don't blame him for that last INT or think it shows a lack of arm strength. Not like we have a burner he could try to huck it deep to anyways. 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Getting a young arm in the mix is of some value. Don’t want to get a guy to just get a guy though. As you’ve lamented many times, I trust Jay to find a good one. 

Yeah if some one falls to you that you like take him otherwise don't force it.  Some here tout 2020 and that's basically about Tua and Fromm.  I love both Qbs but I think they are going #1 and #2 so doubt they'd have an easy go at them.  If you like L. Jackson you'd love Tua from Alabama -- Tua isn't at Jackson's level as a runner but he's still fast and Tua has a rocket of an arm and is accurate.  I think he will be a better pro than Jackson.

The one wild card would be if Kyler Murray enters the draft and decides to forgo baseball.  He might be too small to play the position but some think he could.  He might even be a better runner than Jackson.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

The sample is a must mention, but his composure in various situations screamed through the screen. His ability to remain calm and disciplined with his eyes when moving the pocket or scrambling is pretty special. 

Agree, his composure in the pocket regardless of pressure was impressive especially for a dude who is inexperienced as for NFL starts.   Bruce Arians in his book about QBs really highlights that quality as essential in his mind for the type of Qb he seeks.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Way off track lol

More talent, more talent, more talent lol, I’m with you. They need to inject the offense with some dudes to make the vets uncomfortable. 

***Also, please continue to mention names you like via the draft, as I’m not as passionate about the draft. I know you’ve shared how much love it, so It’d be nice to read up on some guys you think are a good fit. 

They need speed, speed, speed, YAC, YAC, YAC.   With Alex's arrival, Jay seemed to adopt much heavier than the past Andy Reid's love of sweeps -- but for it to work, especially if you want to spice it in for misdirection-fakes -- you need real threats with it to make it work well.  Not guys like Maurice Harris with 4.65 speed and no elusiveness carrying it.

My fav, Marquise Brown, cousin of Antonio Brown.  He's small but super fast, great hands, make plays in open field, can take a screen to the house, deep threat-go routes.  Guessing late first-early 2nd. 

Parris Campbell, might be the better bet for this team because as a bigger guy than Brown he can take the punishment better -- and with this team's history with injuries that's important.  Guessing late first or 2nd.  Reputation wise not as polished as Brown or has hands as good.  But he's just as dynamic and might even be faster.  Here's him taking a handoff (let alone a sweep) and just taking it to the house.

Deebo Samuel -- a different person than me has a man crush on the dude on the draft thread but I've been catching up on him and agree with his take -- he is electric in open field and returns kicks, too.  Probably 2nd-3rd rounder. am guessing not as fast as Campbell or Brown but he's mega elusive.

28 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Exactly.  I give JJ a ton of credit for doing his best but he definitely isn't a SB level QB like Kaep and it shows.  If this front office was committed to winning, JJ would be backing up Kaep and it's a great chance we would be in the thick of playoff talks.  But this franchise isn't serious about winning.

You believe Kaepernick is good? Since his super bowl year? 

2014-16 he was not good. 

BTW, I'd love for us to have signed Kaep, for many reasons. But the style of offense you need to run probably won't work, since it didn't after 2013. Still it would be interesting to try. 

42 minutes ago, grego said:

You believe Kaepernick is good? Since his super bowl year? 

2014-16 he was not good. 

BTW, I'd love for us to have signed Kaep, for many reasons. But the style of offense you need to run probably won't work, since it didn't after 2013. Still it would be interesting to try. 

I do think Kaep is good.  Better than anything we have on our roster, including a healthy A. Smith.  2014-16, he didn't have any help.  Ask the best QB arguably in history (A-Rod) how far you can get with no talent on your team.

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Did Johnson hit any receivers in stride downfield?? Everything was behind or right in the chest. 

I know it’s a good story and all but I’m seeing a lot of crazy takes.... 

The throw to Crowder for the long gain, to Thompson coming out of the backfield, to Floyd for the TD and a decent one to Floyd in the middle.  Some other throws were to receivers who sat down in zone coverage.  In other words, I think he did ok on this front, but I’m pretty sure it could have been better.  

5 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I do think Kaep is good.  Better than anything we have on our roster, including a healthy A. Smith.  2014-16, he didn't have any help.  Ask the best QB arguably in history (A-Rod) how far you can get with no talent on your team.

I'm not a fan of Smith at all. I think he's a good example of a guy who only seems to be good when surrounded by studs. 

I see Kaep, much like Robert Griffin, as being really effective in a run pass option offense. And, also like Griffin, has not shown he can play in an NFL style, traditional (non gimmick) offense. 

Every advanced passing metric which measures passing effectiveness I've seen has Kaep as one of the worst QBs since 2013 (if there are any I've missed that say otherwise, let me know) and it seems to be because he doesn't read defenses or go through progressions or throw with anticipation like you need to in non RPO offenses (like Griffin, who, in year 3, was still calling protection to the wrong side pre snap, resulting in sacks and what appeared to be bad o line play). 

It's also telling that Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis and Torrey Smith were all frustrated with him. And he'd been benched in November 2015 for Blaine Gabbert, which is not typical of a QB who is struggling because he doesn't have help. It would seem that his wide receivers didn't like him and that he was benched because he wasn't effective. 

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Did Johnson hit any receivers in stride downfield?? Everything was behind or right in the chest. 

I know it’s a good story and all but I’m seeing a lot of crazy takes.... 

I get the skepticism about the dude, just started rewatching the game, the clip below was a throw to Crowder caught in stride.  I've seen many draft geeks express that an intermediate out route similar to that play is one of the hardest throws to make.

Not saying the dude has the goods, got no idea.  But for a guy just jumping in 2 weeks or so ago and facing two of the more stout defenses in the NFL -- I think he showed he's good enough potentially at least to be a backup here.  And I've seen enough of Colt to be more intrigued by Josh.   I ultimately want a young QB but not sure they are going that route this draft, will see. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/20/josh-johnson-has-big-fan-san-diego/

Dave Boller is rooting for something in the Washington Redskins game Saturday against the Tennessee Titans. He’s just not sure what.

No one with a rooting interest in Saturday’s game may have a more conflicted rooting interest than Boller.

He’s a big Josh Johnson fan — so much so that, as general manager of the San Diego Fleet in the new eight-team Alliance of American Football League, he made Johnson their top quarterback pick in the league draft.

Now, though, the better Josh Johnson plays against Tennessee, the less likely it becomes that Johnson will ever take a snap for Boller’s football team.

Still, Boller wants Johnson to play well, because, deep down, Boller, the former director of player personnel at Syracuse who also worked as a scout for the St. Louis Rams and front office executive with the Detroit Lions, is a football guy.

And he’s a Josh Johnson guy. That’s why he drafted him.

...Boller said they believe the NFL hasn’t seen the best of Johnson, 32, who after three seasons in Tampa, bounced around from Cleveland to Cincinnati to San Francisco, among others, always relegated to the sideline.

Josh felt like he had something to prove, that he could still play in the NFL,” Boller said. “When we watched his tape, we knew he still had the skillset to play as well. Josh’s combine workout seven years ago was one of the best of any quarterbacks ever, from throwing to running to jumping, everything. He hit it out of the park.

“You just have to scratch your head,” Boller said. “Even in his last preseason game for Baltimore, he was playing with third stringers in the second half and I think he led them on two or three drives.” Johnson played well for the Ravens in four preseason games in 2016, completing 41 of 57 passes for 365 yards, one touchdown and rushing 18 times for 87 yards and two touchdowns. He was cut, though, and picked up by the New York Giants, where he was the third-string quarterback and active for only two games that season.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I've seen enough of Colt to be more intrigued by Josh.

Jay hasn’t. 

He was pretty clear clear in his 1:1 with Finley Colt is still favored son.

Hell, if JJ won 3 games in a row to get into the playoffs, Jay basically said Colt was going to start the playoff game.  Which to me is madness.  Not relevant, but still ridiculous.

Archived