Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP George H.W. Bush

brandymac27

I still think that Desert Storm was the greatest moment for this nation since Apollo 11. 

And I don't just give him credit for being the guy in the chair when it happened. I think there are a lot of things about that operation where it's certain that the credit belongs to the administration. 

I think that the decision to make it a coalition was very important. Even if maybe a lot of countries participation was rather token, it was still an important factor. 

The foreign policy skill skill needed to get all of the adjoining countries to participate in a blockade. 

The morality demonstrated to not demand reparations rations or concessions. From either the country defeated or the country who owed us big time for getting them back. 

Heck, I remember Gen Scheartzcopf saying that his mission was to eliminate Saddam's offensive capabilities, while sparing his ability to defend himself. 

I give Bush credit for all of those decisions. Those decisions have to have been made, maybe not by him personally, but at least in the White House. 

Damn, I miss our country having that kind of morality. 

RIP

35 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

History has been kind to his administration and rightfully so.

It hasn't unless we are curving the test because he is Republican, and we won't talk about his run as CIA Director.

You can't get mad at Trump for nominating someone with sexual misconduct allegations, and then say Bush was honorable.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

(and Bush had his own allegations as well)

At some level, people judge historical figures on curves.  Just look at the founding fathers and slavery.

And I have no idea why you would talk about it in terms of Republicans, when the person that came directly after him was a Democrat and had just as large issues if not bigger related to the same topic.

Obviously, that doesn't make it (slavery/sexual harassment/assault) right, and if people want to hold it against him (them (i.e. people want to say the founding father's were not great or honorable people because they did not end slavery or had slaves)), that's their right.  But others are going to disagree and grade on a historical curve.

i.e. they were great or honorable based on the standards for most of their lives.

I'd argue that history has been kind to George Washington's administration even though he didn't eliminate slavery.

RIP., Sir. Thank you for all your service to the country.

I say that while, as one might suppose, disagreeing with very substantive matters with him, and viewing him as one who had serious flaws in judgment and behavior. Human behaviors tend towards sliding scales regardless of the various designations of identity we give ourselves.

Very few humans are without serious flaw to the best of my knowledge and I include the illustrious cadre of dedicated keyboard warriors.

Two things in particular I respect about him regarding his presidency are the political risk---suicide really---he knew he was taking when for the good of the country he worked with dems to reduce the deficit at a key time by raising taxes that he promised his constituents he wouldn't. As has been observed by those knowledgeable, the 'Clinton recovery" doesn't even have a chance if 41 hadn't made that bold move. The other thing was him supporting and signing major extensions and expansions on social service programs. That too, was another action that helped millions of those who needed it and still does. Millions. Helped. Significantly.

Humans are flawed, judged by our ideals, and in my view, are always subject to being held accountable. Politicians are a class where the common perception seems to be that their flaws are more abundant and more severe compered to most. For a politician, I found 41 to be far better than most, yet far from ideal. The latter is expected, the former I treat as a meaningful positive that I appreciate with gratitude. 

The other thing I admire is his effort and dedication to raising a family with some sense of duty/service to others and striving for values most of us hold as important---even though the family still consists of humans and are also flawed. 41 had a lot of supports that many others don't have to accomplish the things he did, personally, privately, professionally, and politically. I greatly appreciate  he used them to accomplish as much for the common good in this nation as he did, however short from "doing better" it was. If this was a thread whose topical intent was a review or critique of 41, I would go into more detail on what I find unfortunate about some of 41's actions, but the gratitude for the positives would still stand.

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

RIP., Sir. Thank you for all your service to the country.

I say that while, as one might suppose, disagreeing with very substantive matters with him, and viewing him as one who had serious flaws in judgment and behavior. Human behaviors tend towards sliding scales regardless of the various designations of identity we give ourselves.

Very few humans are without serious flaw to the best of my knowledge and I include the illustrious cadre of dedicated keyboard warriors.

Two things in particular I respect about him regarding his presidency are the political risk---suicide really---he knew he was taking when for the good of the country he worked with dems to reduce the deficit at a key time by raising taxes that he promised his constituents he wouldn't. As has been observed by those knowledgeable, the 'Clinton recovery" doesn't even have a chance if 41 hadn't made that bold move. The other thing was him supporting and signing major extensions and expansions on social service programs. That too, was another action that helped millions of those who needed it and still does. Millions. Helped. Significantly.

Humans are flawed, judged by our ideals, and in my view, are always subject to being held accountable. Politicians are a class where the common perception seems to be that their flaws are more abundant and more severe compered to most. For a politician, I found 41 to be far better than most, yet far from ideal. The latter is expected, the former I treat as a meaningful positive that I appreciate with gratitude. 

The other thing I admire is his effort and dedication to raising a family with some sense of duty/service to others and striving for values most of us hold as important---even though the family still consists of humans and are also flawed. 41 had a lot of supports that many others don't have to accomplish the things he did, personally, privately, professionally, and politically. I greatly appreciate  he used them to accomplish as much for the common good in this nation as he did, however short from "doing better" it was. If this was a thread whose topical intent was a review or critique of 41, I would go into more detail on what I find unfortunate about some of 41's actions, but the gratitude for the positives would still stand.

Damn.  Great post.

Noone is perfect.  People are human after all, so they don't necessarily do the right things.  We are flawed.  

When someone dies, you don't forget what they didn't do right; it's that you remember them at their best. What good did they do.

Only evil, immorral, ammoral and inhuman people will be remembered for their evil deeds. There was nothing really good about them.

Bush wasn't evil. Far from perfect.  I lived in the D.C. from August 1990 to June 1992; and I remember always cursing when driving by the White House. You could do that back then. My first vote ever was for Papa Bush.  Looking back, that type of politician doesn't exist anymore.  He did what was best for the country, at least what he felt was best.  He didn't care about what it might mean for him personally.  You don't get that with most of today's politicians.

History will treat him good. Good in some areas but bad in other areas. A middle of the road president.

I hope that idiot Cheeto  doesn't screw things up at Bush's funeral. Being gracious for once, Cheeto.  There's one person that when he dies, he will not be remembered for any good he may done.  One did he really do anything good? Mainly, he is an evil, immoral, ammoral inhuman.

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

At some level, people judge historical figures on curves.  Just look at the founding fathers and slavery.

And I have no idea why you would talk about it in terms of Republicans, when the person that came directly after him was a Democrat and had just as large issues if not bigger related to the same topic.

Obviously, that doesn't make it (slavery/sexual harassment/assault) right, and if people want to hold it against him (them (i.e. people want to say the founding father's were not great or honorable people because they did not end slavery or had slaves)), that's their right.  But others are going to disagree and grade on a historical curve.

i.e. they were great or honorable based on the standards for most of their lives.

I'd argue that history has been kind to George Washington's administration even though he didn't eliminate slavery.

1) Bill Clinton didn’t die. Focus.

2) When I said Republican, we not gonna pretend that Nixon, Reagan, and Bush, his son, and Trump are the modern Republican presidents which was the point in bringing it up. Out of that lot, HW is easily the best, hence the curve.

I don’t believe in blind superlatives for people. Saying all of that, I will say that he lived a great life and started a dynasty.

24 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

1) Bill Clinton didn’t die. Focus.

2) When I said Republican, we not gonna pretend that Nixon, Reagan, and Bush, his son, and Trump are the modern Republican presidents which was the point in bringing it up. Out of that lot, HW is easily the best, hence the curve.

I don’t believe in blind superlatives for people. Saying all of that, I will say that he lived a great life and started a dynasty.

Does it really change much if you add in LBJ, Carter, Clinton,and Obama?

(I'd say that Obama was probably better than him and maybe Carter, though I'm not sure if either of that's true.  We've had a pretty bad run of Presidents the last 60 years independent of party.  History has been kind to both Bush and Carter.)

Archived