Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP George H.W. Bush

brandymac27

Did anybody notice when the Bushes entered and greeted the Presidents and first ladies, that George pulled a cough drop out of his pocket and slipped it to Michelle with a wink as he shook her hand, a reprieve of the nice moment at John McCain's funeral when, seated next to her, he did the same.  

It was just a nice human moment that struck me.

insta_mint_181205_b47189830c9fef7d72e6a2

A disconcerting little quirk from Bill Clinton... close your mouth man!  Every time they showed him during the service, he was slack-jawed, mouth agape.  It was weird looking.

~~~

Also, is it protocol to hand your overcoat to a military officer as if he's your personal valet?

Another cool story about George Bush. 

The touching gesture by George H.W. Bush that his Secret Service ‘family’ will never forget

By Lindsey Bever

Washington Post

George H.W. Bush sat near a flower garden in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 2013, holding a 2-year-old child. The pair wore matching blue polo shirts and khaki pants — and sported the same hairstyle.

AY2ZYJHWWQI6RBSCZFYYUJLMXU.jpg

Bush had learned that the boy, the son of an agent on his Secret Service detail, had leukemia.The toddler had lost his hair and, to show their support, members of the detail were planning to shave their heads.

So the former president did, too, and his wife, Barbara Bush, snapped a picture, which soon went viral.

“When little Patrick got leukemia, a lot of the agents shaved their heads,” Bush explained to his granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager, a contributing correspondent for NBC’s “Today” show. “I said, ‘Well, why not me?’ It was the right thing to do.”

“They’re a wonderful group of people,” Bush added at the time. “They’re like family with us.”

The agents thought of the former president the same way.

The Secret Service re-shared the touching photo Tuesday on Twitter, referring to the 41st president by his code name, “Timberwolf.” The agency said it “wanted to share a memory” the day before his funeral at Washington National Cathedral.

More here, including a photo of the two taken three years later:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2018/12/05/touching-gesture-by-george-hw-bush-that-his-secret-service-family-will-never-forget/?utm_term=.c3dcc623e6d9

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Did anybody notice when the Bushes entered and greeted the Presidents and first ladies, that George pulled a cough drop out of his pocket and slipped it to Michelle with a wink as he shook her hand, a reprieve of the nice moment at John McCain's funeral when, seated next to her, he did the same.  

It was just a nice human moment that struck me.

insta_mint_181205_b47189830c9fef7d72e6a2

George W strikes me as a genuine guy. I enjoyed that as well. I overlooked it at the time, but I really enjoyed the camaraderie that I remember from the Bushes leaving office and the Obamas taking office. 

4 hours ago, JCB said:

a group of people standing in front of a crowd posing for the camera: George W. Bush Slips Michelle Obama a Piece of Candy (Again!) at His Father's Funeral Service

I dont think anyone has done the kinda 180 in public image that Bush 2 has in the history of anything.  His bromance with Michelle is straight up adorable.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

W may have been a bit...over his head as President, but he was a good dude and you never had to worry about him committing treason or not having America's best interest at heart.

Great eulogy today.

See what I mean? 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

George W strikes me as a genuine guy. I enjoyed that as well. I overlooked it at the time, but I really enjoyed the camaraderie that I remember from the Bushes leaving office and the Obamas taking office. 

Agreed.  I think W is a much better person than he was a President, and I think he's pretty outstanding as an ex-President.  

Here is a picture of me and 41 when I was in the 5th grade. Don’t fade the pink polo under the gigantic DARE t-shirt. 

864A5FCB-27D6-4536-87F4-99117A2B6257.jpeg

The Bush family’s relationship with the Obama’s is just class all-around. A nice example for folks on all sides of the political aisle. Just a shame Dubya and Barack didn’t take Trump out back after the service and smack him around a bit, teach him some respect. Pretty sure the secret service wouldn’t have done a damn thing. 

23 minutes ago, Bang said:

As i look at the photos of the Presidential pew, the old Sesame Street song keeps running thru my head...

"Two of these things just don't belong here... two of these things just do not belong."

~Bang

I was thinking that..."one of these things is not like the others" 🤔

Archived