Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP George H.W. Bush

brandymac27

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I hope that idiot Cheeto  doesn't screw things up at Bush's funeral. Being gracious for once, Cheeto.  There's one person that when he dies, he will not be remembered for any good he may done.  One did he really do anything good? Mainly, he is an evil, immoral, ammoral inhuman.

I agree with this 100%.  On the flip side of the coin I hope no one gives a eulogy with a not so thinly veiled message at Trump, either.  

Make it about Bush, celebrate the man and his life.  Leave Trump out of it, not everything revolves around him.

This is a letter George HW Bush wrote to his mother a few years after his daughter Robin passed away (she was just 4 years old).

Dear Mum,

I have jotted down some words about a subject dear to your heart and mine. Last night I was out, and on my way home—late—I said to myself, “You could well have gone to the cemetery in Greenwich tonight” . . . this thought struck me out of the blue, but I felt no real sense of negligence. The part I like is to think of Robin as though she were a part, a living part, of our vital and energetic and wonderful family of men and Barbara.

Bar and I wonder how long this will go on. We hope we will feel this genuine closeness when we are 83 and 82. Wouldn’t it be exciting at that age to have a beautiful 31/2 year old daughter . . . she doesn’t grow up. Now she’s Neil’s age. Soon she’ll be Marvin’s—and beyond that she’ll be all alone, but with us, a vital living pleasurable part of our day-to-day life. I sometimes wonder whether it is fair to our boys and to our friends to “fly-high” that portrait of Robin which I love so much, but here selfishness takes over because every time I sit at our table with just our candlelight, I somehow can’t help but glance at this picture you gave us and enjoy a renewed physical sensation of closeness to a loved one.

This letter . . . is kind of like a confessional . . . between you and me, a mother and her little boy now not so little, but still just as close, only when we are older, we hesitate to talk from our hearts quite as much.

There is about our house a need. The running, pulsating restlessness of the four boys as they struggle to learn and grow, their athletic chests and arms and legs; their happy noises as the world embraces them . . . all this wonder needs a counterpart. We need some starched crisp frocks to go with all our torn-kneed blue jeans and helmets. We need some soft blond hair to offset those crew cuts. We need a doll house to stand firm against our forts and rockets and thousand baseball cards. We need a cut-out star to play alone while the ­others battle to see who’s “family champ.” We even need someone . . . who could sing the descant to “Alouette,” while outside they scramble to catch the elusive ball aimed ever roofward, but usually thudding against the screens.

We need a legitimate Christmas angel—one who doesn’t have cuffs beneath the dress.

We need someone who’s afraid of frogs.

We need someone to cry when I get mad—not argue.

We need a little one who can kiss without leaving egg or jam or gum.

We need a girl.

We had one once—she’d fight and cry and play and make her way just like the rest. But there was about her a certain softness.

She was patient—her hugs were just a little less wiggly.

Like them, she’d climb in to sleep with me, but somehow she’d fit.

She didn’t boot and flip and wake me up with pug nose and mischievous eyes a challenging quarter-inch from my sleeping face.

No—she’d stand beside our bed until I felt her there. Silently and comfortably, she’d put those precious, fragrant locks against my chest and fall asleep.

Her peace made me feel strong, and so very important.

“My Daddy” had a caress, a certain ownership, which touched a slightly different spot than the “Hi, Dad” I love so much.

But she is still with us. We need her and yet we have her. We can’t touch her, and yet we can feel her.

We hope she’ll stay in our house for a long, long time.

Love, Pop

https://www.chickensoup.com/book-story/52582/robin

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with this 100%.  On the flip side of the coin I hope no one gives a eulogy with a not so thinly veiled message at Trump, either.  

Make it about Bush, celebrate the man and his life.  Leave Trump out of it, not everything revolves around him.

They are going to get there and use words like service, duty, integrity etc. There is no way that this won't be taken as a slight by the admin and his supporters. 100% guaranteed. 

34 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

They are going to get there and use words like service, duty, integrity etc. There is no way that this won't be taken as a slight by the admin and his supporters. 100% guaranteed. 

To be honest, it's almost impossible to talk about anything like service, humility, grace, integrity, etc and it not be a possible swipe at Trump seeing as how he's an individual devoid of anything resembling such positive personality traits. 

Just now, mistertim said:

To be honest, it's almost impossible to talk about anything like service, humility, grace, integrity, etc and it not be a possible swipe at Trump seeing as how he's an individual devoid of anything resembling such positive personality traits. 

That's the point. 

I took about 10 minutes last week, while at Barnes and Noble, and skimmed through "George & Barbara Bush: A Great American Love Story". Its now on my Christmas wishlist. This man was smitten with Barb. I can only ask the good Lord to help me love my wife like he loved his. RIP.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:49 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

There are rotten people in the world, Bush wasn't one of them. 

But if rotten people (attacking Bush) is your preference you can hang out in one of these two places (opposite sides of the same coin).

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3710199/posts

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142214005

4 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Read about this dog. Knows a ton of commands. 

HE CAN ANSWER THE PHONE. I mean, I'm assuming it's an old school handset (can he operate a touch screen with his nose?), but still...

https://wtop.com/local/2018/12/mission-complete-sully-the-service-dog-to-accompany-bush-one-last-time/

Also, the guy who posted that picture on Instagram actually has a sense for PR, since he captioned it "Mission Complete" instead of "Mission Accomplished". Kind of a refreshing change from the amateurs currently in the White House.

Archived