Atlantaskinsfan18

Alex Smith Actual Status

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is his leg still in the halo?

If it is, the redskins sure did a good job of hiding it in the picture 😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could he retire, losing about 40 million over the next two years, but be hired as an assistant coach with a 20 mil per year salary?  This would alleviate our salary cap issues and give a big middle finger to the league for the cap penalty back in 2013...

Edited by ILikeBilly
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If it is, the redskins sure did a good job of hiding it in the picture 😂😂

The picture I saw only showed him from the thigh up smart ass.

 

You can't tell in the pictures whether Smith is stillwearing the external fixator on his right leg, but regardless of whether he is or not, it's still great to see him in Ashburn around the organization. 

 

And that's a quote from the article. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am best friends with Alex's uncle's, wife's, sisters, cousins, son and he assured me Alex will be back starting this season.. book it!

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oraphus said:

I am best friends with Alex's uncle's, wife's, sisters, cousins, son and he assured me Alex will be back starting this season.. book it!

Heyyyy now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, redskinss said:

The picture I saw only showed him from the thigh up smart ass.

No i know that, wasn’t being a “smart ***” about anything, didn’t mean for it to sound like that. I was trying to say it was smart of them to only picture him from the thighs up, as to not have the cast pictured or anything. It focuses the talk onto his recovery instead of all about the cast. 

 

That “smart ***” comment was not appreciated. Thanks though for the insult..... 

 

whatever. 

 

 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were public pictures of Alex Smith with the external fixator about a week ago. It's still on. At least he's walking around without crutches. I'm happy he did not lose his leg and hopefully can live a reasonably normal life in retirement. I have no expectations we will see him on a football field again.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SonnyandSam said:

There were public pictures of Alex Smith with the external fixator about a week ago. It's still on. At least he's walking around without crutches. I'm happy he did not lose his leg and hopefully can live a reasonably normal life in retirement. I have no expectations we will see him on a football field again.

 

Agree completely.

 

And I think he may have the highest winning percentage of any of the Skins' QBs over the last 25 years lol...

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SonnyandSam said:

There were public pictures of Alex Smith with the external fixator about a week ago. It's still on. At least he's walking around without crutches. I'm happy he did not lose his leg and hopefully can live a reasonably normal life in retirement. I have no expectations we will see him on a football field again.

 

Yeah, I don't see him ever playing again. And I also don't see a reason for him to. Even if it did get to the point where maybe he could try again he'd probably be 36 by then, wouldn't have played any football for 2 years, and after that bad of an injury would it be worth it to risk it again? He'll probably stick around for another year, get paid, retire, then get a lucrative job as a QB coach or maybe a commentator. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

Could he retire, losing about 40 million over the next two years, but be hired as an assistant coach with a 20 mil per year salary?  This would alleviate our salary cap issues and give a big middle finger to the league for the cap penalty back in 2013...

It would be clear circumvention of the cap and we'd be penalized way worse than we were the first time(and would actually deserve it this time to be honest).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It would be clear circumvention of the cap and we'd be penalized way worse than we were the first time(and would actually deserve it this time to be honest).

I totally agree, but I do think it would be nice if there was a way teams in this situation could get some relief. 

I don't think it's fair that a player that suffers a career ending injury should be such a burden.

 

But then again if they changed the rules teams would find a way to exploit them in ways the rules weren't intended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, oraphus said:

I am best friends with Alex's uncle's, wife's, sisters, cousins, son and he assured me Alex will be back starting this season.. book it!

So you're best friends with Alex's 2nd cousin? In that case, I'm buying...

Edited by CTskin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he makes it back.  I think a dude like that should walk off the field on his own terms.  Might not be the flashiest QB with the best stats but he won games.  We were winning while he was here.  I am not sure if that would have continued but regardless, he was well liked and respected by teammates everywhere.

 

Learning how to run again for an athlete of that caliber has got to be a pretty humbling experience.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said this before and I'll say it again - I just hope him a good rehab and that he can move on with his life. 

 

From a football side I can't really see him coming back. If he can get back on the field it will be for the 2020 season where he'll be 36 years old. I know we can get excited about a 42 year old Brady, 40 year old Brees or a 37 year old Big Ben, but Smith is not in that category of QB. If anything he's a bit lower down where any regression is a reason to move on. I'd also remind fans that it's not like he did anything in 10 games that really got us excited. We can pretend that his 2017 season with the Chiefs is his 'potential', but it's fair to say that was the outlier in what was a slightly above average/good career.

 

The Skins really showed their thoughts on the injury when they drafted Dwayne Haskins. He's going to get starts this year and unless he completely tanks why would you sit him for the 2020 season? It's just not going to happen. They will do all they can to make Dwayne the future and build around him. 

 

Finally for Smith his contract almost dictates that he keeps trying to play. Just by continuing to rehab on the 5th day of the 2020 league year he locks in a guaranteed $16M roster bonus. That's all his if he plays or not. In short, he's not going to retire before then. If anything there might be an injury settlement, but the cap number to move on that way will be over $30M. 

 

Ughhhh. The more I think about the injury and the contract the sadder I get. Personally I'm going to buy a knock off Haskin jersey. That way Snyder will get none of my money and I'm trying to look past the whole Alex Smith fiasco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 7:57 AM, SonnyandSam said:

There were public pictures of Alex Smith with the external fixator about a week ago. It's still on. At least he's walking around without crutches. I'm happy he did not lose his leg and hopefully can live a reasonably normal life in retirement. I have no expectations we will see him on a football field again.

 

Hes jus trying to say all the right things still.  Good for him, but he jus sounds like one of those guys who has to fly apart like a cartoon car before they finally surrender.  Hes the black knight at the moat in Monty Python right now.

 

 

KmIbx7K.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, Unbias said:

The Skins really showed their thoughts on the injury when they drafted Dwayne Haskins. He's going to get starts this year and unless he completely tanks why would you sit him for the 2020 season? It's just not going to happen. They will do all they can to make Dwayne the future and build around him. 

 

Finally for Smith his contract almost dictates that he keeps trying to play. Just by continuing to rehab on the 5th day of the 2020 league year he locks in a guaranteed $16M roster bonus. That's all his if he plays or not. In short, he's not going to retire before then. If anything there might be an injury settlement, but the cap number to move on that way will be over $30M. 

 

Ughhhh. The more I think about the injury and the contract the sadder I get. Personally I'm going to buy a knock off Haskin jersey. That way Snyder will get none of my money and I'm trying to look past the whole Alex Smith fiasco. 

 

This may have been discussed earlier in this thread . . . but I think the question of whether or not we should have cut Alex Smith a few months ago hasn't gotten the discussion it deserves.  We should have cut him and taken the entire cap hit in 2019.  Anyone being honest about it  (i.e. not Bruce Allen) could tell there was no way Smith plays in 2019.  So why pay him for 2019 and 2020 when it's clear that by 2020 (or earlier) we'll have a long-term replacement at QB on the roster?   I understand that PR-wise it may have looked bad to cut him so soon after such a serious injury, but they could've worked something out, like keeping him around as a "consultant" while he rehabs (or something like that). 

 

The way the front office ended up handling it, in my opinion, makes no sense.  But it's typical of a front office that is insecure in whether it'll be around next season and keeps touting the "we're close" attitude to please the owner.  A real franchise would've cut Smith, taken the full hit in 2019, drafted a QB in 2020 after an atrocious 2019 season.  I think that decision/mistake could end up, long term, being one of those franchise-altering moments that we look back upon down the road, as impactful as the decision not to sign Cousins to a relatively inexpensive long-term contract during the 2015 season or 2016 offseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

 

This may have been discussed earlier in this thread . . . but I think the question of whether or not we should have cut Alex Smith a few months ago hasn't gotten the discussion it deserves.  We should have cut him and taken the entire cap hit in 2019.  Anyone being honest about it  (i.e. not Bruce Allen) could tell there was no way Smith plays in 2019.  So why pay him for 2019 and 2020 when it's clear that by 2020 (or earlier) we'll have a long-term replacement at QB on the roster?   I understand that PR-wise it may have looked bad to cut him so soon after such a serious injury, but they could've worked something out, like keeping him around as a "consultant" while he rehabs (or something like that). 

 

The way the front office ended up handling it, in my opinion, makes no sense.  But it's typical of a front office that is insecure in whether it'll be around next season and keeps touting the "we're close" attitude to please the owner.  A real franchise would've cut Smith, taken the full hit in 2019, drafted a QB in 2020 after an atrocious 2019 season.  I think that decision/mistake could end up, long term, being one of those franchise-altering moments that we look back upon down the road, as impactful as the decision not to sign Cousins to a relatively inexpensive long-term contract during the 2015 season or 2016 offseason.  

 

Cutting Smith this past year is possible, but not plausible. His cap hit this season is $20.4M. if we cut him it would have been $52.6M. 

 

That's an extra $32.2M of cap space used up with a team that only has $8.2 remaining. For that to have happened we would have had to gut the roster and sign no one. 

 

The way the cap rolls over it doesn't really matter if he's cut this year or the next. The real difference makers would be cutting/ttrading players like Norman, Reed and maybe Williams. If you are all about the rebuild that's the way to do it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can't play again, what is Bruces plan?  Doing some research at over the cap shows that we wont save money cutting him until 2021.  Can we get some money back because the injury was an accident?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are so fixated on bull jumping and imaginated hold outs that no one has commented that Alex Smith got the leg fixater off

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fantastic news, and a very positive sign, hopefully, that his recovery trajectory will be both full and without any complications along the way. Very happy for him and his family.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.