Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

23 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'd go for Keenum as well. What was Flacco traded for, a 4th rounder? I'd offer up a late round pick for Keenum or even a slightly better conditional 2020 later round pick to get his rights.

Nothing more than a 6th/7th rounder or even an exchange of picks like we've done with Denver before, like our 5th for their 6th and Keenum type of deal.

No way he stays in Denver.

Foles is now a Free Agent.  Won't cost us picks.

And Johnny Football got himself kicked out of the CFL :lol:      (Get? :ph34r:

Cooley was on Galdi today, he doesn't think much of Bridgewater from his film study.  I haven't watched Bridgewater in a long time.  From what I recall, I didn't love him back then.  But I'll refresh.  I got to refresh on Rosen, too.  In theory, I don't like the idea for trading for him but I have to rewatch his games to land on an opinion.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, volsmet said:

Few would refer to Dan Marino as a guy, some as the best QB in nfl history, but few meet your standards. Tommy? 16 tds to 6ints? That’s filthy, bud. Two of the top 5 to ever do it aren’t good enough for my pal, peregrine.

Yikes.

giphy.gif

Yes, maybe without Green, Gio, Mixon, Eifert and Boyd he can let loose.

You really are beyond ignorant, and by choice it seems.  So your only arguement is that I used the term "a guy" to refer to your childhood hero of all heros, Dan Marino?  

1 player doesnt make a rule, in fact hes the exception that proves the rule.  Look that up, since Im doubting you've ever heard of it.

We arent getting Foles.  I mean seriously, where do these people come from who keep posting this stuff?  Even Bruce Allen isnt stupid enough to spend another 25 million on .............

Wait, Ive said that before, and I was wrong every time, Bruce Allen is literally stupid enough to drop 25 million on another QB and cripple the team for another 5 years.

1 hour ago, method man said:

On Sheehan's podcast last week, former agent Joel Corrie went step by step with a way in which the Skins can create $40M of cap space. If we can do that, I would have to think Foles is a possibility.

Agreed, it's not really that difficult either. Few moves, not a purge of essential talent, and we have a load more cap space.

4 hours ago, method man said:

On Sheehan's podcast last week, former agent Joel Corrie went step by step with a way in which the Skins can create $40M of cap space. If we can do that, I would have to think Foles is a possibility.

Could you post how he did it mate, would be good reading. My first move would be release Norman, we're not getting to play-offs so get rid of big earners now. Go with youngsters who can learn as they go. Reed, Davis and Brown also come to mind. That's about 25m I think. 

HTTR 

9 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Its directed the idea of bringing Fitzpatrick to Ashburn. How would Bishop Bullwinkle apply to you? Do tell.

thought the angle was false preachers and since I pushed Fitzpatrick for entertainment purposes than maybe I didn't mean it.  But obviously the song reference went over my head. 😀  got it. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:06 AM, goskins10 said:

It depends on the definition of "win now". I am more and more convinced as are others that Bruce's idea of win now, and his target is 7-9 to 9-7. That's a good year. And while I get that it's a stepping stone to bigger success, this seems to be where his goal stops. 

Fans like you and I for the most part see winning now as at least making the NFC Championship game if not the SB. So our goals are decidedly different than the current FO. This is one of the fundamental reasons we need a change in leadership. 

They are likely to go out and spend the farm to move up 2 spaces and get the 3rd QB off the board (not making a prediction just an example) and trade the rest of the capitol for an Antonio Brown and there you have it, either another mediocre season or a complete failure with the built in excuse that we had a rookie QB, and there were injuries, and the coaching staff is new, and, and, and. Excuse after excuse after excuse. 

I have been very consistent, I want our starting QB to be either Colt or a cheap veteran with the other being the back-up with a developmental guy on the practice squad. Begin rebuilding the Oline, double down on the Dline, get a few parts for the secondary. Then look to 2020 for your long term franchise QB and keep building the foundation of the team - BTW I would take the CAP hit and let Alex leave. 

None of that will happen. They will absolutely trade up for a QB. They (Bruce) will get taken to the woodshed, yet again - only solace is that KC does not have a pick above us. They will get a bunch of either injury prone or very average to below average FAs and talk about all the guys coming back form injury and how exciting the season is going to be, especially with all the new coaches.   

Then the excuses are all in place for the eventual failure. This is what "win now" means to Bruce, i.e. let me save my ass one more year and to hell with the long term vision for the team. 

My definition of win now is a short term "solution", and I use that word very lightly, at the expense of developing younger players. Now I understand that you can't have viable prospects at every position. There are only so many draft picks and I'm not advocating starting young players over older players just for the sake of having a young guy. A team could literally sign UDFAs at every position and make a roster solely based on that. It would be young, but most of the players wouldn't be very good and very few would likely be considered prospects. So it's a balance.

A perfect example of a "win now" move was trading for Alex Smith. Smith wasn't that good to begin with and was 34 before the start of the 2018 season. So what's the realistic outcome there? 2 years of competent QB play? Maybe 3? I suppose if the rest of the team was simply awesome, that's a potential contender. But we know the rest of the roster wasn't awesome. So it's largely a pointless move. I don't see winning now as "at least making the NFC Championship game". That would be incredible. I see "winning now" as giving up two viable young assets (Fuller and a 3rd rounder) for an older mediocre QB. Smith wasn't going to lead this team to any Super Bowls and he'd be retired/fading by the time the team surrounded him with enough assets (assuming it ever did) to win with such a mediocre QB. The move had no real upside other than adding a few wins in the short term. Yes, Smith was better than starting McCoy. But moving from 5 wins to 7 wins isn't anything to really get excited about.

I will say the positive that the team has made in recent years is to actually keep draft picks and take younger guys. So often from 2000 through the early 2010s the team just dealt picks. Usually for very poor returns. So that's something.

I really hope this team doesn't make a dumb decision at QB this offseason. Given the Redskins' history, I may be asking too much. But I really hope the team doesn't either trade significant assets or expend major draft capital to select the 3rd or 4th QB in a class that will likely produce one viable starter. It's a terrible low percentage move. Not to mention the fact that virtually every talent evaluator doesn't believe these others guys are that good. And certainly not worthy of the 15th pick in the draft. And while one can build in the excuse of losing with a rookie QB, I don't think it'll save Gruden's job.

If a Murray or Haskins falls to you at 15, then I don't mind rolling the dice. Otherwise, I'd just look at plethora of free agent options and sign someone to an incentive laden deal. I have my preferences, but the truth is most of the free agent options are just roster filler. Guys that are decent enough, but no one you likely want to build long term around. So just take the one that signs for a reasonable deal and then look to 2020. And hell, whoever that veteran ends up being is likely not that different from Alex Smith in terms of production.

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Can this be true? I hope so! Let me be clear, I do not think Colt McCoy is an NFL starter. He is a spot back-up only. Not a bad one for a few games, but cannot be counted on for more than a few games between injuries and lack of talent. 

I am happy if this is true though because it means their arrogance may actually lead to the best outcome for the team and it's fans - Bruce Allen's demise as GM. Jay is probably collateral damage and that's fine. i like him but not to the point where I am going to lose and time worrying about him being let go. Talk about doing the right thing for the wrong reasons! LOL

Go with Colt and a cheap veteran insurance with a developmental guy on the PS. Work on the Oline, Dline, secondary in general with an eye on a transformational player at most any position but QB in the first rd. 

Come on Bruce, let that arrogance go to work! You can do it!  

4 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

To roll with Colt heading into 2019 as your answer is imo foolish. Buddy has shown he cannot stay healthy. 

You are missing the point. Of course he can't make the season. That's why you get a cheap vet to back him up and a young guy on the PS. The point is trading draft picks for a QB or paying another high priced FA will destroy this team for another 5 yrs, unless the QB you get is successful but the chances of that happening are very slim - IMO anyway. 

I would prefer they limp with Colt, work on the rest of the team and then look fro the long term solution next year. My expectation is that impatience will win out and they do something actually foolish like trading 5 picks to move up 5 spots and take the 3rd or 4th QB off the board in a year that is not good for college QBs. 

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You are missing the point. Of course he can't make the season. That's why you get a cheap vet to back him up and a young guy on the PS. The point is trading draft picks for a QB or paying another high priced FA will destroy this team for another 5 yrs, unless the QB you get is successful but the chances of that happening are very slim - IMO anyway. 

I would prefer they limp with Colt, work on the rest of the team and then look fro the long term solution next year. My expectation is that impatience will win out and they do something actually foolish like trading 5 picks to move up 5 spots and take the 3rd or 4th QB off the board in a year that is not good for college QBs. 

The problem with this line of thinking is that most people would NOT rather limp along with Colt and a cheap FA vet... because you basically have 2 Colts. Apathy about the team is at an all time high, nobody shows up for games, and to top all of that off, there's no guarantee that next year the team will be in any better position to land a "top tier" qb in next year's draft without having to give up a ton of assets as well. Even if the team has a top 10 pick next year, it will still cost a king's ransom to move up to the top 3 to land a "can't miss" qb.

Both ways, the team is hamstrung for the future.. but you'd have another year of fans leaving in droves. Nobody is going to be ok with a ****ty season on purpose to have a chance at a guy who may or may not be attainable next year. Unless the FO really doesn't care and they really do believe that Colt can win games.. in which case we're all screwed anyway.

39 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that most people would NOT rather limp along with Colt and a cheap FA vet... because you basically have 2 Colts. Apathy about the team is at an all time high, nobody shows up for games, and to top all of that off, there's no guarantee that next year the team will be in any better position to land a "top tier" qb in next year's draft without having to give up a ton of assets as well. Even if the team has a top 10 pick next year, it will still cost a king's ransom to move up to the top 3 to land a "can't miss" qb.

Both ways, the team is hamstrung for the future.. but you'd have another year of fans leaving in droves. Nobody is going to be ok with a ****ty season on purpose to have a chance at a guy who may or may not be attainable next year. Unless the FO really doesn't care and they really do believe that Colt can win games.. in which case we're all screwed anyway.

It's not a "problem" with a line of thinking, it's a difference of opinion. One is short term vs mine which is more a long term vision. There are never any guarantees. But there is common sense and logic. If you have a starting QB that is **** then it's much more likely that you will have a ****ty record and therefore have a better draft pick. More importantly, you will in theory build at least a bit stronger team going into the draft and free agency next year, not to mention been able to get your CAP position healthier. At that point It would hurt less to say use some draft capitol to move up - especially since by all accounts next years QB crop is vastly better than this year. I would rather make that move next year when the team has filled a few holes and is overall in a stronger position to take advantage of a true franchise QB. 

This is not directed at you in a personal way, just explaining myself - I really don't care what most people want. i also don't care if people are not going to games. That's Dan's problem not mine. In the end, winning, real winning is the only thing that will change that. My belief is the best way to do that is ignore the QB position this year focusing on the other parts of the team and getting the CAP back in order and then get a QB next year.

So I really could care less if anyone is OK or not with a ****ty season. I don't root for the team for other people. I root for them for my own enjoyment. And I am ****ing tired of limping along at a very mediocrity pace with that appearing to be the goal. The SB should be the goal. This FO seems to see mediocre as their target and it's infuriating. 

I'd go with Keenum if he's affordable, Fitzpatrick if not. Going through a whole season KNOWING you're going to lose your next game sucks. There is no interest in knowing the day and method of your demise. With Keenum, we get a feel-good story. He gets another shot at pulling off another Minny run with a different team. Otherwise, Fitzpatrick is flashy in all the best ways. He'll lose us pleenty of games, but make it interesting to watch while doing it.

Colt McCoy and his IR replacement vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the more tolerable version of John Beck vs. Rex Grossman. One option is going to lead to guaranteed duds with more eyes on cell phones than on the games. The other is Boom Or Bust, Baby.  Sign me up for The Swag.

5b9ef23d959f3418008b5e1a-750-375.jpg

Otherwise, my guilty pleasure would be getting Nick Foles. He's a wholesome guy, and if I were the Eagles, I definitely would have tried to find a way to keep him and trade Wentz. One is a Super Bowl MVP and put together two strong runs for the playoffs. The other ended both seasons wearing street clothes. Maybe Foles can be good here, maybe not. I'd love it if he were good here, so that we could rub it in the face of North Dakota Strong.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Oh I get the point bud and am familiar with sucking to improve your chance of getting a top qb next year and how Colt fits that narrative. There are 0 guarantees that the problem would be solved thru this approach and the current reality of our FO is we aren't likely to do that.   Given the skins situation with the fans, I just don't see why you don't start to try and address what is the biggest question mark for the team this year and until they get it solved. But we'll see how we attack the issue, no matter what or who is there I'll be riding with my Skins..  Should be fun to see what we do...

Don't get the hate for McCoy. He is a better option than most of the FA we can sign.  

• We roll with Colt and limp through the season as expected.  We have a new coach and FO with daft picks and resources, very exciting possibility which will energize the fanbase.
  •  
  • We sign a FA (who we can afford) and limp through the season. How is that not a wash with option 1 except we may now be in a worse position?
  •  
  • We sign a FA and turn in another mediocre season.  Fanbase is still in an uproar, we likely see no real changes and will have fewer resources.
  •  
  • Another possible result, the Colt haters are wrong and he gets us a mediocre season.  This is super exciting especially if we add a project QB like Rypien and the mediocre season means another missed playoff year (new FO and coaching staff likley).  That is an in-your-face, especially to Bruce as that means we'd have been better off not trading for Alex.  In fact, that is the only reason I think Bruce may want to bring in an FA from the outside.

By the way, I hear the 49ers are shopping Mullens.  Right now the best offer is from Denver for a 6 and the rumour is that they'll take it.

Archived