Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

There is no proof RG3 has learned anything except a little humility. 

Was the same QB in Cleveland he was here. In Baltimore, he has looked decent in preseason. 

But in sustained action, the game always seems too fast for him and he takes a ton of hits in the pocket because of it. And then he gets hurt, which keeps him from making progress.

Think he's in a great spot in Baltimore.

But hey, Colt gets hurt too so maybe they could just platoon here.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Satellite issues out here in Wild Wonderful WV.  SIP,  can you please give me the condensed version of what Wyche said.  Thanks in advance, bro. :)

He senses from talking to Doug they are more likely going to go the FA route to solve their QB woes than the draft.  He didn't really get into detail about it.   My gut is the same at the moment unless they fall in love with some QB at the combine.

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Satellite issues out here in Wild Wonderful WV.  SIP,  can you please give me the condensed version of what Wyche said.  Thanks in advance, bro. :)

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He senses from talking to Doug they are more likely going to go the FA route to solve their QB woes than the draft.  He didn't really get into detail about it.   My gut is the same at the moment unless they fall in love with some QB at the combine.

He mentioned these 5 names as a possible bridge until McCoy and/or Smith get healthy.

Bridgewater

Taylor

Keenum

Tannehill

Bortles

He also said if we draft a QB high, it probably means that the Smith era is over. (if you want to call 9 and a half games an era)

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks SIP.  :)

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He mentioned these 5 names as a possible bridge until McCoy and/or Smith get healthy.

Bridgewater

Taylor

Keenum

Tannehill

Bortles

He also said if we draft a QB high, it probably means that the Smith era is over. (if you want to call 9 and a half games an era)

Thanks MD.  I've heard Bridgewater's name mentioned.  He'd fit Gruden's system and so would Keenum.  

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Bridgewater

Taylor

Keenum

Tannehill

Bortles

Unless I misinterpreted him, he was just throwing names out there versus saying he heard any of them from Doug or a source

Case Keenum might be a good option. Just looking at his reported contract in 2019, it's a base salary of 18mil of which 7mil is guaranteed. The Broncos are on the hook for that whatever happens.

Trade a late pick for him, get them to pay the 7mil and we take him on a one year 11mil deal. I think that's my preferrred option. 

Also draft a QB in one of the first 3 rounds.

56 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Case Keenum might be a good option. Just looking at his reported contract in 2019, it's a base salary of 18mil of which 7mil is guaranteed. The Broncos are on the hook for that whatever happens.

Trade a late pick for him, get them to pay the 7mil and we take him on a one year 11mil deal. I think that's my preferrred option. 

No way would I pay 11m for Keenum on top of the 20m for Smith and 3m for McCoy. I would rather just cut ties with Smith completely and take the 42m hit in 2019. Then I would go with Josh Johnson and draft a QB in 1st round or go with Johnson as the starting QB and go 3-13 or so and draft a QB with our top 3 pick in 2020.

HTTR 

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'd rather them trade for Jacoby brissett then sign a vet.  He's in his final year with the colts and I thought he was pretty good in Indy.

Good point HigSkin, what cap hit has Brissett got in 2019?. And would our complimentary 3rd round pick(for Cousins) do the trick. 

HTTR 

35 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

No way would I pay 11m for Keenum on top of the 20m for Smith and 3m for McCoy. I would rather just cut ties with Smith completely and take the 42m hit in 2019. Then I would go with Josh Johnson and draft a QB in 1st round or go with Johnson as the starting QB and go 3-13 or so and draft a QB with our top 3 pick in 2020.

HTTR 

Good point HigSkin, what cap hit has Brissett got in 2019?. And would our complimentary 3rd round pick(for Cousins) do the trick. 

HTTR 

$2 mil 😃

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I don’t know how guaranteed money works when it’s part of a salary... Typically, the team trading a player is on the hook for all bonus money, so Denver would have to pay him the 3 mil left on his signing bonus.  If he’s on the team March 1st, I’d think they would owe him the 7 mil too.  Also not sure if they can have the trade in place ahead of time so he’s off the team before they owe him the guaranteed salary.  

If they do have to pay him the full 10 mil, I wonder if they’d still be willing to trade him at that point, as they’d be paying 7 mil for whatever draft pick they received (as opposed to cutting him pre-March 1).  

Damn contracts...

Edit: god I hope we don’t try to trade a 3rd for Brissett... I’d rather take Stidham, Rypien or whoever

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t know how guaranteed money works when it’s part of a salary... Typically, the team trading a player is on the hook for all bonus money, so Denver would have to pay him the 3 mil left on his signing bonus.  If he’s on the team March 1st, I’d think they would owe him the 7 mil too.  Also not sure if they can have the trade in place ahead of time so he’s off the team before they owe him the guaranteed salary.  

If they do have to pay him the full 10 mil, I wonder if they’d still be willing to trade him at that point, as they’d be paying 7 mil for whatever draft pick they received (as opposed to cutting him pre-March 1).  

Damn contracts...

Keenum has a base salary of 18M with 3M in signing bonus and ZERO roster bonus for a 21M cap hit this year. So if he is traded the Broncos pay 3M and the team pays Keenum 18M and is counted towards the cap at 18M.

Trades of non-elite, expensive players only make sense when roster bonus's are involved.

Why?

Because if the team cuts the player the remaining signing bonus AND Roster bonus is counted towards the cap. But if they trade him then they pay the signing bonus and the new team pays the roster bonus.

With no roster bonus, the Broncos get no advantage in their cap hit and the new team would still be paying Keenum 18M... No trade makes sense

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Damn contracts...

Edit: god I hope we don’t try to trade a 3rd for Brissett... I’d rather take Stidham, Rypien or whoever

Hes had the 3mil already, that's just a cap share on 2019. So Denver is taking a 10mil hit for him if they release him anyway. They foot the 7mil in that scenario.

i think 11mil for Keenum is good business in our screwed up situation. 

1 minute ago, pcbothwel said:

Keenum has a base salary of 18M with 3M in signing bonus and ZERO roster bonus for a 21M cap hit this year. So if he is traded the Broncos pay 3M and the team pays Keenum 18M and is counted towards the cap at 18M.

Trades of non-elite, expensive players only make sense when roster bonus's are involved.

Why?

Because if the team cuts the player the remaining signing bonus AND Roster bonus is counted towards the cap. But if they trade him then they pay the signing bonus and the new team pays the roster bonus.

With no roster bonus, the Broncos get no advantage in their cap hit and the new team would still be paying Keenum 18M... No trade makes sense

New team doesn't have to pay 18mil. Broncos either cut him, take the 7mil gtd through cap and get nothing in return, or the pay him that cash, and gets a day three pick in return... why wouldn't you trade him?

Colt McCoy wouldn't even be an option I think we can't afford to pay a qb over 10mil per year, so with that said Ryan Fitzpatrick would be my backup and I'll draft a qb and start him.  Trevor Siemien/Josh McCown would be my 2nd option.  All 3 are better than Colt and Josh Johnson. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Huge fan of Brissett coming out of college... feel he could be a starter, long-term.

However, Colts were offered a 2nd last year from the Seahawks and they turned it down...

Another year on and our 3rd round pick we get for Cousins could do the trick. 

HTTR 

Archived