Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Allen and Gruden will make another, save our ass move regarding QB.  Allen and Gruden only care about saving their jobs, to get to another year.  So, what they do witht he QB 2019 position; will dictate that.  

Jay knows only a playoff berth will save him.  Does he really trust Colt to do it?  Or is he going to get somebody; who will compete with Colt for the starting job in 2019.

I still maintain there are far more veteran QB options than starting QB slots. Now that Denver went all Wacko for Flacco, there's likely only a select few starting jobs open. The Giants could be one, with Jacksonville and Washington seeming like the obvious choices. Beyond that you're probably looking at places like Oakland or Cincinnati. Places that have okay guys (Carr/Dalton), but aren't sold on them. There's a whole slew of guys like Foles (who is heavily linked to Jacksonville), Bridgewater, and Taylor out there in free agency and likely a few more likely to get released (Keenum?). Simply put, this is a buyer's market if any of these guys wants a real chance to start. For once, dumpster diving at the bargain bin could pay off. But probably not.

I saw a report today that Teddy Bridgewater is coming to Washington to be interviewed and that Brian Mitchell thinks that it is a good idea to talk to him.

I am not a fan of Teddy right now.  Keenum makes more sense to me if he can take a reasonably cheap contract with us for one year.  What Keenum and Cousins found out on the Vikings is you need skilled receivers and a strong offensive line to protect you in order to be a successful playoff quarterback.  Skins do not have great receivers and last year had a banged up offensive line so some of these veteran QB guys may not even be interested in Washington as a potential landing spot.  

Last years formula was going with aging vets at QB.  Smith injury aside, nothing has changed and the same people are the deciders.  Sure Alex out is a huge deal and I cannot just brush it aside, but following the same plan seems likely this far in Jay's tenure here. it all points to another vet QB coming in. 

The wildcard of course is Dan and Bruce getting desperate and feeling the need to make a splash in the draft.  They can channel their inner GMSM all they want but in the end, Dan is going to want to be impulsive and Bruce knows it.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I saw a report today that Teddy Bridgewater is coming to Washington to be interviewed and that Brian Mitchell thinks that it is a good idea to talk to him.

I am not a fan of Teddy right now.  Keenum makes more sense to me if he can take a reasonably cheap contract with us for one year.  What Keenum and Cousins found out on the Vikings is you need skilled receivers and a strong offensive line to protect you in order to be a successful playoff quarterback.  Skins do not have great receivers and last year had a banged up offensive line so some of these veteran QB guys may not even be interested in Washington as a potential landing spot.  

Biggest concern for me is the knee.  He didn't even get into contact and it went out on him (Teddy).  

4 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

They should have gotten Teddy last year instead of trading for Smith and giving him a huge contract 

at this point, its just typical redskins to make the move a year and 85 million dollars too late. 

Every vet QB who is signed or traded for by another team is a sigh of relief for me. One less way for the this regime to screw us even more long term. 

The only vet who remotely interests me on a cheaper 1-2 year deal is Bridgewater. I'm actually not a big fan but he has untapped potential and seems the least likely to cost much, while being at least interesting to watch. More importantly getting him allows the FO/coaching staff to feel like they did something to preserve their jobs without making a big dumb move, and without actually raising our ceiling much most likely. Then the tank and start over in 2020 can still (accidentally) happen. 

Jay's in love with McCoy so he probably starts which I don't think lasts long.  Johnson or the cheap vet QB we sign is behind him and then whoever we draft at QB in the draft.  I hope that O' Connell has some say in this but doubt it.  This is Jay's make or break year, I think.  I also think it should be for Allen too.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I saw that we were 1 of 2 teams in the great Flacco sweepstakes. Getting older at the position > drafting a QB like a normal team

I am digesting this story now.  To the comments below I see it the same way if this is true. Keim suggesting they kicked the tires on this (via Schefer) and talked to the Ravens but decided the cap would precluded this.  Isn't the cap situation apparent from the get go?  Why explore it at all considering the cap situation is apparent. 

Yet, we got 2 Denver reporters saying the Redskins were in the mix.  One Redskins beat guy (Standig) saying he heard rumblings but not enough to report and Keim saying more or less Schefter said the Redskins explored this but balked for cap reasons.  Florio mentioned this first weeks back but I don't take him seriously as a source so I didn't make much of it then but did post about it on the draft thread when I heard it.

Not sure how good he is, but I'd go for Bridgewater. He's young enough that may not have reached his ceiling. He's most likely going to be the cheapest option and he's also the one most likely to do a short term deal. He's going to want to start somewhere and show he can play to get bigger potential payday down the line.

56 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Not sure how good he is, but I'd go for Bridgewater. He's young enough that may not have reached his ceiling. He's most likely going to be the cheapest option and he's also the one most likely to do a short term deal. He's going to want to start somewhere and show he can play to get bigger potential payday down the line.

I consider Bridgewater brittle.  He tore his ACL non-contact during practice.  Personally, I'd stay away.  If Denver were to release Keenum maybe get him at a reasonable price on a 2 year deal.  

looks like the brain trust will start working to figure things out this coming week 😀

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018153/article/doug-williams-not-counting-out-alex-smith-just-yet

Williams was asked as to what route Washington would travel to solve its quarterbacking quandary. More than anything else, Williams stressed patience in the approach as it's still just February.

"You know, we've still got time; we haven't really gotten into free [agency] yet," said Williams, a former Super Bowl MVP for the Redskins. "I think once we sit down and meet with all the coaches and all the staff, which is supposed to start next week, [we will start] getting into the free agent and looking at the board as to who's out there and who might possibly be out there."

Preaching patience hmmm - that is the exact opposite of a year ago, having Smith secured before the season ended.  I wonder if that is a shot at Bruce from Doug after last years trade... then again I wonder if Doug will even be in the QB Plan meeting room since he wasn't a year ago. Can our front office be anymore awkward.

Heh there probably is no meeting room; it's just Bruce sitting in Dan's office watching you tube.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Preaching patience hmmm - that is the exact opposite of a year ago, having Smith secured before the season ended.  I wonder if that is a shot at Bruce from Doug after last years trade... then again I wonder if Doug will even be in the QB Plan meeting room since he wasn't a year ago. Can our front office be anymore awkward.

Heh there probably is no meeting room; it's just Bruce sitting in Dan's office watching you tube.

I'd add that they at least poked around on Flacco before these upcoming meetings.  Bruce maybe planned a surprise like the Alex Smith deal -- last time wasn't it Doug we just made a deal don't pick up your phone...

Archived