Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

57 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Well..like they, if ya keep swinging for the fence you'll eventually ..wait we're talking about the skins...swing away skins!!

I think most people are looking to move on from Allen.  I am one of a few on the site that is all in for Murray.  We shall see how it turns out.

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think most people are looking to move on from Allen.  I am one of a few on the site that is all in for Murray.  We shall see how it turns out.

I am all in for Murray.  My thought is though I wouldn't go crazy in a trade up.   My key is hold onto the 2020 #1.  Judging by the rumors, the teams who want to trade down are the Jets at #3 and the Bills at #9.    Trading up to #3 is likely too steep.  But as for trading up to #9 -- worse case that's a 2nd rounder. If by chance Murray drops that far, I'd pull the trigger.

As people who frequent the Bruce thread likely know, i am not a fan of Bruce and the way he rolls.  So here I am likely doing him a favor. 😀  This team is desperate for both a buzz and a spark on offense.  This dude likely does both.  If Bruce's job genuinely is on the line on a one year deal -- Jay too -- as some purport than I think he's screwed because IMO their outlook isn't hot.  But if they can radically change the game at QB, it changes that narrative IMO. 

Hoffman was saying last night he knows at least some in that FO really dig Murray's tape.  So it could be an interesting ride.  Sounds like though the combine is the be all and end all for them to land on a position with the Qbs. 

My prediction is we trade with the Jets... What would that take? obviously they would get our number 15 spot pick and a first-round pick next year?.. I could see this happening... So how would that work if we had Murray and Alex Smith if he was on an injured reserve whatever but able to come off in November or whatever if he has a miraculous recovery.. start the season off with Alex Smith on injured reserve Murray and Colt McCoy give the starting job to McCoy and see how Murray does if McCoy struggles put Murray in then let's say Smith makes a miraculous recovery and we're in the playoff hunt and he comes in in November finishes off the season good then Smith would be our starter next season while Murray rides the pine? then you basically have the Patrick mahomes and Alex Smith situation over again?

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the Flacco stuff, if I recall that aligns with another beat guy saying the same, I think it was C. Russell but I might be misremembering, who said his sources were surprised by about the Flacco narrative and didn't know about it.  But I do think it probably was Bruce going rogue considering 5 different sources including Breer who is usually on the money said it was so.  If so, in Bruce's defense he might have just been kicking the tires and the Ravens played it up for trade leverage.

FYI - I recall the same and think it was Hoffman who was dispelling it.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am all in for Murray.  My thought is though I wouldn't go crazy in a trade up.   My key is hold onto the 2020 #1.  Judging by the rumors, the teams who want to trade down are the Jets at #3 and the Bills at #9.    Trading up to #3 is likely too steep.  But as for trading up to #9 -- worse case that's a 2nd rounder. If by chance Murray drops that far, I'd pull the trigger.

As people who frequent the Bruce thread likely know, i am not a fan of Bruce and the way he rolls.  So here I am likely doing him a favor. 😀  This team is desperate for both a buzz and a spark on offense.  This dude likely does both.  If Bruce's job genuinely is on the line on a one year deal -- Jay too -- as some purport than I think he's screwed because IMO their outlook isn't hot.  But if they can radically change the game at QB, it changes that narrative IMO. 

Hoffman was saying last night he knows at least some in that FO really dig Murray's tape.  So it could be an interesting ride.  Sounds like though the combine is the be all and end all for them to land on a position with the Qbs. 

The other option I replied to in another thread that Higskin posted was Oakland might be ready to deal too but how far will they be willing to fall.  The #15 is quite the fall from #4 and we'd have to pay dearly for that pick.  It would require next year's 1st round as starters and then some of our draft.  Guessing, I'd day our 2020 1st and 3rd, our 2019 3rd and 5th rounders.  It may be more or less but I'm guessing and this if we really wanted Murray.  

34 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The other option I replied to in another thread that Higskin posted was Oakland might be ready to deal too but how far will they be willing to fall.  The #15 is quite the fall from #4 and we'd have to pay dearly for that pick.  It would require next year's 1st round as starters and then some of our draft.  Guessing, I'd day our 2020 1st and 3rd, our 2019 3rd and 5th rounders.  It may be more or less but I'm guessing and this if we really wanted Murray.  

It’d be a relationship where both teams clearly trust the other. Could help a deal get done.  Conversely, I’d be surprised to see a trade with 49ers, but I guess you never know. 

So RG3 blows up his knee and falls into the football abyss, both Alex and Colt break their legs, and we haven't fielded a cohesive starting o line in two seasons. One could argue that KC managed to stay alive and that would be true, but how much of can you attribute to his quick release and knowledge of the offense. Now we are getting all worked up over Murray. He is exciting for sure but just being pragmatic about the situation, I would love to see us fix the back end of the D and invest more picks in the O-line. 

How is that gonna work out anyway didn't he say that there were certain teams that he would play for if drafted by them and others that he had no interest in playing for like the ELI draft ?

Is he interested in playing in DC,  if so they should drug test him right away. Poor kid will age 5 years in his first season. I always try to stay positive but the more I think about this upcoming season and our prospects of having a watchable team the more I am thinking about playing golf on Sundays.

Just throwing this out there.  Were we to trade up to #3 to get Murray, that's an (approximately) $30M fully guaranteed contact over 4 years and a slightly less than $6M this year (1/3 of the remaining cap space).  I have no reason to believe that the OL line will be healthy this year and no reason to believe that there will be a go to receiver.  Even if Murray is cheap relative to veteran franchise quarterbacks, I don't see the value to the Skins in having good quarterback this year.  Other than retention of Jay's and Bruce's jobs, which I don't value very highly.

51 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Just throwing this out there.  Were we to trade up to #3 to get Murray, that's an (approximately) $30M fully guaranteed contact over 4 years and a slightly less than $6M this year (1/3 of the remaining cap space).  I have no reason to believe that the OL line will be healthy this year and no reason to believe that there will be a go to receiver.  Even if Murray is cheap relative to veteran franchise quarterbacks, I don't see the value to the Skins in having good quarterback this year.  Other than retention of Jay's and Bruce's jobs, which I don't value very highly.

I mentioned what I thought it would cost if we traded with the Raiders, if they were willing to move down to #15.  See above.  We would still have our 2019 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and two 7th.  We would need the first two picks, IMO to be OL.  It's more likely that Murray we have to fall to #9 like SIP mentioned in his post and then we could trade at a much lower cost.  

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

It's possible.  I see things similar to how Sheehan explains the state of affairs with the team which is this team is bleeding with its fans -- people are checking out and the FO and maybe Dan are in deep delusion and miss that its a problem.  And they are either going to have a painful season where they get a rude awakening and discover that their issues with fans aren't about just some temporary annoyance by how the last season ended -- but instead its a real holistic problem.  That dude below can save them from themselves IMO.  They need both an infusion of good QB play and star power to jazz up the more casual fans.  For me personally, I like Murray a lot but i don't feel desperate about it.  In their shoes though I'd feel desperate to make it happen within reason. 

I can't help but think all the comp pics we received will make Bruce think aggressively moving up to take a QB is the right thing to do. 

And you know the possible blessing in disguise, he will probably blow a lot of the picks anyways, on injured players, reaches, trade up on a reach, and my personal favorite, trade up on a reach on a player coming off a major injury.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think we'd be in the mix.  He's owed around $20 mill dollars this year which was guaranteed in early Feb.  I'd still like to move up and get Murray but would settle on either Stidham or Rypien in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds.  Still think the Skins have got a lot of love for Jones though and if he's there he's their guy at #15.

If we go after Murray it would be nice to use Reed and Norman in a package deal along with any other combination of picks that doesn't include a future 1st rounder, we lack top-end talent and our best chance to get some is through the draft using our 1st round picks, especially next year as there's a good chance we bottom out and have a top pick in the 2020 draft.

If Murray had Luck type talent then I would be ok with it, but he doesn't.

43 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If we go after Murray it would be nice to use Reed and Norman in a package deal along with any other combination of picks that doesn't include a future 1st rounder, we lack top-end talent and our best chance to get some is through the draft using our 1st round picks, especially next year as there's a good chance we bottom out and have a top pick in the 2020 draft.

It would be nice but I don't think teams will want to absorb their salaries together.  We might be able to trade them and that's a might.  I think we could get a draft pick for Norman but I don't know about Reed.  He's been so injury prone and the concussions are an issue.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Reed cut and Norman either traded or released.  Both take up a chunk of cap and aren't worth what they are getting paid, IMO.  

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I think both Reed and Norman are too old and making too much money to fetch much of anything.    Reed isn't that old but with his concussion and injury history and coming off a down year -- he doesn't come off like a long term investment for a team.

I think Murray has Luck talent.  But they are two different style QBs.  Murray is accurate as heck, has a bazooka of an arm and might be even faster and more elusive than Michael Vick.  Jimmy Johnson summed him up well recently for my taste -- he said something to the degree that he will take whatever team drafts him to the playoffs but he can also see him getting hurt in game 2.  It's a high reward, high risk pick.

I'd take my chances though.  Dan's tenure has been marked by failure after failure at QB.  Granted this could be another one but if i am going down swinging i'd rather do it with a potential transcendent talent versus gambling they are going to figure it out with lesser talents.  

Archived