Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Stop ****ing around, and just go with the oldest QB out there, the most expensive, or the JAG out of the league the longest, but STILL thinks he can play. 

Proverbial stop beating around the bush.  Don't risk doing anything normal, like draft a QB and try to develop one. 

22 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Stop ****ing around, and just go with the oldest QB out there, the most expensive, or the JAG out of the league the longest, but STILL thinks he can play. 

Proverbial stop beating around the bush.  Don't risk doing anything normal, like draft a QB and try to develop one. 

Makes me wonder what jemarcus Russell is up to.

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I read or listened to something about how the skins could possibly bring back rg3 ..that he's had time to develop into a pocket passer and how much he's matured..idk ..my money is on Dalton/Bridgewater

If those are all the choices, everyone may choose to sit the season out and enjoy their Sundays... I can't see Bruce/Snyder doing all that

The scoop on RG3 is that both he and the Ravens want him back in Baltimore for next season.  It makes a lot of sense in that he has a similar skillset to Jackson and so in the event of injury they won't need to change the gameplan and with Flacco gone he becomes the veteran mentor in the QB room.

For us, I really don't hate the idea of Dalton as he is better than anyone available in Free Agency and has a relationship with Jay.  We would be getting a proven starter and that would allow us to wait on drafting a QB as I still think this years crop is sub par and barring a franchise ruining trade into the top 5 we would be getting the 3rd or 4th best guy, the Kyle Boller of the group in all likelihood.  I think Dalton is better suited to run Jay's offense than Alex was to be honest and with a decent draft you can still see us competing next year and for Jay and Bruce that has to be the priority. 

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I read or listened to something about how the skins could possibly bring back rg3 ..that he's had time to develop into a pocket passer and how much he's matured..idk ..my money is on Dalton/Bridgewater

There is zero chance RG3 returns to Gruden/Allen after what transpired the last time he was here.

8 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If those are all the choices, everyone may choose to sit the season out and enjoy their Sundays... I can't see Bruce/Snyder doing all that

I could easily see them doing that. It would bring back part of the fanbase. 

I’m in the Bridgewater camp. 

Sign Bridgewater and do whatever necessary to draft T.J Hockenson. Both players instantly take pressure of the o-line and will give Guice some time to grow.  

There’s almost no risk with this approach and suddenly this is a different Redskin team. 

Voted for Colt McCoy.  He knows the system and has proven he can win games. 

I'm not opposed to bringing a guy like Bridgewater in, but I absolutely think Colt should get the first go.

Rely on our strengths.  Run 2 back sets with Peterson/Guice.  This will solve the problem of who to keep on the field + keep defenses confused.  Use Chris Thompson to spell when one or the other gets tired/obvious passing situations. 

Bring in another fast receiver to stretch the field and to keep defenses honest (sorry Paul Richardson).  Although some people may be dissuaded by Antonio Brown and his antics, he's one of the best receivers for this kind of role.  I wouldn't be opposed to looking at Desean Jackson again either.   He without a doubt still has speed.  

Continue to rely heavily on 2 tight end sets.  This will work well if we run 2 back sets.  I would love to see our base packages switch between (5 OL, 2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR, 1 QB) and (5 OL, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2WR, 1 QB). On average there's something like 60-70 offensive plays per game.  i know it's not flashy or the norm right now, but running the ball 40-45 times per game will be our best bet on offense.  Gruden ALWAYS has a tendency to abandon the run (the Philadelphia away game this past season was an egregious example). We really need to do the opposite because it's our strength with the offensive line, a long with the type of running backs we'll be rolling with next season (assuming AP is back).

40-45 times per game. 2 back sets.  The key to success.  Prove me wrong Jay. 

17 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

For us, I really don't hate the idea of Dalton as he is better than anyone available in Free Agency and has a relationship with Jay.  We would be getting a proven starter and that would allow us to wait on drafting a QB as I still think this years crop is sub par and barring a franchise ruining trade into the top 5 we would be getting the 3rd or 4th best guy, the Kyle Boller of the group in all likelihood.  I think Dalton is better suited to run Jay's offense than Alex was to be honest and with a decent draft you can still see us competing next year and for Jay and Bruce that has to be the priority. 

I still think we'd draft a QB in the late third round, or in the 4th round if we were able to shuffle our picks around a bit.

I agree on Dalton though. Everything else has gone quiet, I'm sure we're focused on getting a vet QB in. 

Dalton is also 'affordable' in context. Salary in 2019 of 16mil. I mean, all they'd need to do is add a voidable year onto his current remaining 2 year deal, convert 6mil salary into signing bonus and his cap number in 2019 drops to 12mil.

At that stage you could save nearly 4mil by cutting McCoy, which probably ain't going to happen but he'd make no sense if we bring another vet in. Also, these talks to bring JJ back have soon tailed off. I sense a QB move is around the corner.

I think that we pick up a vet fairly soon, hold on to McCoy and also draft a mid-round rookie. Dalton or Bridgewater would be my first chioce with Fitzpatrick near the bottom of the list (too erratic).

I would love us to pick Hockenson in the first, then a LG, then a QB. After that an edge rusher and a few safeties, but ideally hope that they go with a weighted BPA approach, no trading up, maybe trading down a little.

<Edit> I voted Trade for a vet by mistake, I meant to choose Sign a vet.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Bring Robert back.  Entertain me Bruce, since you won't leave.

I was glad to see RG3 go, but I'd be even happier to see him come back.  Would mean we were being smart and taking a long term approach.

13 hours ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

Voted for Colt McCoy.  He knows the system and has proven he can win games. 

OK but now you need to vote for who the QB will be after McCoy gets injured.

How much they wanted Flacco or not, who knows.  But at the very least they kicked the tires on this.  So am guessing they are leaning towards a veteran in FA.   I thought in the past someone like Foles is impossible because if he makes 25 million a year, then they'd have like 50 million dedicated to the QB spot -- let alone the weird message it would send to Alex in his recovery.  But now, anything seems possible considering wasn't Flacco getting 18 million or something like that?  Still think Foles is unlikely but i don't completely rule it out anymore.

My guess right now is that either Dalton, Tannehill or Bridgewater is the guy next year.  And maybe they take a QB in the 3th-5th round range.  

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Don't be surprised

I Think "Suds" is a FA now too. At least Jay liked him. I would rather see us bring him back over Griffin if we are talkin about bringing back people. 

I really cant remember much of what he did here in preseason except for one TD he threw in preseason to a QB converted to WR who didn't last on the PS

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My guess right now is that either Dalton, Tannehill or Bridgewater is the guy next year.  And maybe they take a QB in the 3th-5th round range.  

Felt Flacco was the number one choice. Agree that Dalton is now in the frame, plus that QB in the 3-5 round range seems about right.

AJ McCarron, maybe Glennon as options too.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How much they wanted Flacco or not, who knows.  But at the very least they kicked the tires on this.  So am guessing they are leaning towards a veteran in FA.   I thought in the past someone like Foles is impossible because if he makes 25 million a year, then they'd have like 50 million dedicated to the QB spot -- let alone the weird message it would send to Alex in his recovery.  But now, anything seems possible considering wasn't Flacco getting 18 million or something like that?  Still think Foles is unlikely but i don't completely rule it out anymore.

I hope they don't trade for Dalton and I don't think they will.  I think they go cheap with Johnson as it was mentioned they were looking to sign him and it's up in the air as to whether they go high or mid rounds on drafting a QB.  Not my choice but trying to think what they want and will do.  Here we go:   Jay starts Colt, Josh Johnson is signed as 2nd string and a rooking QB is drafted anywhere from 1st to 3rd round.  Just guessing. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I hope they don't trade for Dalton and I don't think they will.  I think they go cheap with Johnson as it was mentioned they were looking to sign him and it's up in the air as to whether they go high or mid rounds on drafting a QB.  Not my choice but trying to think what they want and will do.  Here we go:   Jay starts Colt, Josh Johnson is signed as 2nd string and a rooking QB is drafted anywhere from 1st to 3rd round.  Just guessing. 

I think Dalton makes some sense for them, though I’d dislike the move, from a job security perspective.   I could also see re-signing Johnson as a backup plan.  Sign him, see what comes of either trying to trade for Dalton, or what the draft brings.  For example, I could see them trading for Dalton, drafting Stidham/McSorley, whoever, and then cutting Johnson (if the two of them, plus Colt, make it through preseason).  I do think you’re right in the sense that Jay might prefer Colt and a draft pick over Dalton, but I’m not sure if 1) that’s true, or 2) if it matters.  

Part of me thinks Dalton won’t be on the trade block until/unless they wind up with a guy they like from the draft, but I don’t know much about Cincy...

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Thats quite possible, although it's strange to me that the Johnson deal hasn't been tied up long before now. I wonder if more clarity has come out on Smith's situation (behind closed doors) which has now triggered a greater urgency to upgrade with more that just McCoy/Johnson. 

40 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Thats quite possible, although it's strange to me that the Johnson deal hasn't been tied up long before now. I wonder if more clarity has come out on Smith's situation (behind closed doors) which has now triggered a greater urgency to upgrade with more that just McCoy/Johnson. 

Really don't know.  Could be.  Things will start making sense as the days march forward.  With Allen we are always not in the know.  

2 hours ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I Think "Suds" is a FA now too. At least Jay liked him. I would rather see us bring him back over Griffin if we are talkin about bringing back people. 

I really cant remember much of what he did here in preseason except for one TD he threw in preseason to a QB converted to WR who didn't last on the PS

Don't count on Suds coming back.

He is a restricted FA.

They are likely to put a tender on him, as he will become a valuable #2 to them, once Foles leaves.

Archived