Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

On 2/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Stone Cold said:

Let’s take stidham and give him the keys soon as he’s ready or colt gets injured.  

Then...we ride with stidham until 2022...at which point we have either found our qb, or are perhaps in position to take TLawrence.  

Here’s a nice write-up from our friends at Hog’s Haven regarding

Stidham:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/2/11/18220204/the-best-value-and-fit-for-the-redskins-at-quarterback-could-be-in-round-three-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

I am on board for a QB in the late 2nd (trade up) or 3rd round. We can get that edge rusher in the 1st and a good speedy X or Y receiver in tbe 2nd. A 3rd round QB that posseses high-accuracy, good frame from a big-program, tough conference, low interception rate, etc. and is practically free makes too much sense. 

if we finish with only 2-3 wins next season then you draft a better QB in the 1st. If we again finish with 6-7 wins then we likely have found our QB or can at least ride him until 2021. 

I think the point below on that tweet is true.  And to add some pure speculation as what might be cooking behind the scenes:

A.  Dan chomping at the bit to create some buzz

B.  Jay might be reluctant to delve into Murray since he's not a good fit to his offense

C. I've heard multiple beat guys say they heard some in the FO are afraid to be burned again in a trade up

D. To point C.  Kyle and RG3 have some parallels.  Spread QBs from the Pac 12, a heavily involved Dad, durability questions

E.  If Bruce is selling this team is really close (Jay too) how do they sell that to Dan behind the scenes?   Would they be telling Dan they don't have to do much because the roster is already loaded enough but were just saddled with bad luck?  That's sort of how they approached the last off season. If so I doubt they'd push Dan for an aggressive move for a QB. 

With all of that, my take is no guts no glory.  If they love Murray they should go for it within reason.  My key is not giving up next years 2020 #1.  So whatever trade up position affords you to lose a 2nd worst case, which I gather would be up to pick #9.   They are in a pickle because they are coming off a season where they had no buzz, declining TV ratings and fan attendance.  They aren't going to save things by doubling down on Colt McCoy.  It will likely make last season's issues with fans look like child's play.

Personally I got the patience for a rebuild and a losing season.  I don't think Dan has the patience though.  Oddly, I have to bank on that Bruce and Jay's persuasion skills are really good to keep Dan in his cage and in turn Dan just gets shockingly surprised by how the Colt experiment isn't all that it was sold to be.   As I've said in other posts I don't fault the powers that be try to sell Dan that they are close.  They have no choice to do so as to job security.  It's up to Dan to either believe it or not.  And the mystery is does Dan believe it or not -- my best wild guess is he isn't sure so he vacillates.   But who knows?

Thats a big no on Stidham.

Basically, any time a guy in college doesnt improve year after year, thats about as big of a red flag as you can get.  Hes peaked.  No QB, even if drafted at #1 overall is ready to do well in the NFL.  They have to play at a higher level than the day they are drafted.  That means CONTINUED development and improvement.  If the NFL had a 1-100 scale for ability to play, and 80 was what it took to be a good NFL QB, even the top college QB would be starting at 70.  Thats why so few are even able to make an impact in their first year.  The really great ones were a 50 in their first year in college, then 60, then 70, and now, they've got to continue to improve and get better to meat NFL starter threshold status.  

Look up the history of just about every single player who turned out to be a great NFL player, and they all kept getting better every year in college, because they were learning and developing.  Because if they peaked at just being "pretty okay" at college football, they would never have a shot at succeeding in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

😀How could they not sell tickets with this?

I'm usually not a fan of razzle dazzle running QB's but I'd be lying if i said Kyler Murray wasn't fun  watch on Saturdays this year. At this point iv grown so use to losing in the Snyder era i just want to be entertained on Sundays, thats it. Its why i always like KC, He may not have always delivered a W but the man made the offense GO and score. Kyler Murray looks dam good in the Burgundy & Gold i wont lie.

This is an interesting theory...

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/new-qb-theory-emerges-redskins-and-some-fans-might-not-it

A new QB theory emerges for Redskins, and some fans might not like it

Speaking with the Redskins Talk podcast during Super Bowl week in Atlanta, Bruce Allen made clear he will not count out Alex Smith for the 2019 season. 

What Allen didn't say is almost as important as what he did say..... 

The word from Ashburn is that the team won't consider the 'nuclear option,' a term used to describe possibly releasing Smith this offseason and taking a massive $40 million cap hit. The advantage of that option: pain now for relief later. Washington can move on from the Smith contract in 2020 after taking a serious lump in 2019. 

This offseason, Allen repeatedly said he thinks the Redskins are close to competing at the highest levels of the NFL. Jay Gruden made similar remarks when the season ended. Both said that Smith's injury in 2018 buried the team's chances of competing, and in their defense, the 'Skins were 6-3 in Week 10 before Smith got hurt.  If the team truly believes they are close, they're not going to consider the nuclear option. And if they're not going to cut Smith, that means he will be making a return in 2020, at least contractually. 

It might seem a tall order, but Smith keeps himself in incredible shape. In another 18 months, could he be close to a return to football? Maybe, maybe not, but if the Redskins have to pay him another $20 million anyway, why not wait to find out?  And it's with that thought in mind that brings the next one: Washington might not have any interest in an early round quarterback in the NFL Draft. 

Think about it. 

If the Redskins are going to hold out hope for a Smith return, or at least delay the cap hit, does it make sense to invest a first-round pick in a quarterback? Add in the fact that Colt McCoy is under contract for 2019, and up and down the Redskins organization, folks have supported McCoy as a possible QB1. 

In a recent MMQB article, Jonathan Jones makes that exact case. 

From Jones:

Washington is in an incredibly difficult position. Alex Smith suffered a gruesome leg injury in the first year of his $96 million contract with the team and then suffered complications from surgery. It’s possible he doesn’t see the field until 2020. And in this thorough OverTheCap article, it’s difficult to find an out for Washington. Jay Gruden really, really likes Colt McCoy, and I envision he’ll get a chance to win the starting job in camp. And because Smith’s future is unclear, you probably don’t want to spend a high draft pick on a quarterback this year.

Jones concludes that the best move for the Redskins is signing a veteran free agent to compete with McCoy, or even be his backup. Considering the money owed to Smith, the Redskins can't spend much in free agency, which means Washington is probably shopping in the Ryan Fitzpatrick aisle.  This line of thinking would not preclude the Redskins from still drafting a QB, but it wouldn't come until at least the second or third day. 

As much as fans and media like to discuss first round quarterback possibilities, it's entirely possible the Redskins would be better suited taking the best player available at 15 rather than grabbing a passer add an edge rusher or cornerback, let McCoy and another veteran battle it out for QB1, and let a late-round QB learn. 

Plenty of theories will emerge. It's more than two months until the NFL Draft. But as long as Smith remains on the Redskins payroll in 2020, adding a first-round QB presents cash flow problems. 

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/new-qb-theory-emerges-redskins-and-some-fans-might-not-it

Speaking with the Redskins Talk podcast during Super Bowl week in Atlanta, Bruce Allen made clear he will not count out Alex Smith for the 2019 season. 

The word from Ashburn is that the team won't consider the 'nuclear option,' a term used to describe possibly releasing Smith this offseason and taking a massive $40 million cap hit. The advantage of that option: pain now for relief later. Washington can move on from the Smith contract in 2020 after taking a serious lump in 2019. 

This offseason, Allen repeatedly said he thinks the Redskins are close to competing at the highest levels of the NFL. Jay Gruden made similar remarks when the season ended. Both said that Smith's injury in 2018 buried the team's chances of competing, and in their defense, the 'Skins were 6-3 in Week 10 before Smith got hurt.  If the team truly believes they are close, they're not going to consider the nuclear option. And if they're not going to cut Smith, that means he will be making a return in 2020, at least contractually. 

It might seem a tall order, but Smith keeps himself in incredible shape. In another 18 months, could he be close to a return to football? Maybe, maybe not, but if the Redskins have to pay him another $20 million anyway, why not wait to find out?  And it's with that thought in mind that brings the next one: Washington might not have any interest in an early round quarterback in the NFL Draft. 

Think about it. 

If the Redskins are going to hold out hope for a Smith return, or at least delay the cap hit, does it make sense to invest a first-round pick in a quarterback? Add in the fact that Colt McCoy is under contract for 2019, and up and down the Redskins organization, folks have supported McCoy as a possible QB1. 

In a recent MMQB article, Jonathan Jones makes that exact case. 

From Jones:

Washington is in an incredibly difficult position. Alex Smith suffered a gruesome leg injury in the first year of his $96 million contract with the team and then suffered complications from surgery. It’s possible he doesn’t see the field until 2020. And in this thorough OverTheCap article, it’s difficult to find an out for Washington. Jay Gruden really, really likes Colt McCoy, and I envision he’ll get a chance to win the starting job in camp. And because Smith’s future is unclear, you probably don’t want to spend a high draft pick on a quarterback this year.

Jones concludes that the best move for the Redskins is signing a veteran free agent to compete with McCoy, or even be his backup. Considering the money owed to Smith, the Redskins can't spend much in free agency, which means Washington is probably shopping in the Ryan Fitzpatrick aisle.  This line of thinking would not preclude the Redskins from still drafting a QB, but it wouldn't come until at least the second or third day. 

As much as fans and media like to discuss first round quarterback possibilities, it's entirely possible the Redskins would be better suited taking the best player available at 15 rather than grabbing a passer add an edge rusher or cornerback, let McCoy and another veteran battle it out for QB1, and let a late-round QB learn. 

Plenty of theories will emerge. It's more than two months until the NFL Draft. But as long as Smith remains on the Redskins payroll in 2020, adding a first-round QB presents cash flow problems. 

Bottom line is this in my opinion, if a QB that you're in love with is within your reach you take him regardless of just about any other prospect short of LT or Reggie White types. So, if we love Murray and feel we can get him then do it and don't look back. I wouldn't do it for the reasons that ended RG lll's career here, size and injuries. Also, in the history of the NFL, only Russell Wilson has been a running, athletic QB to win a SB. Not Vick, not Randall, not RG lll. Doesn't mean it won't happen someday but the odds are against it. Dallas is finding it out with Prescott now. If I'm the Skins I take a flier on Tannehill if we could get him on the cheap, or even Fitzpatrick while drafting a QB later in this draft and then very high next year. Tannehill is still young and may need coaching that can coach him up? I see some Nick Foles in him and think he could be a late bloomer if surrounded by other solid parts. If we can get him in the bargain basement bin and he doesn't work out then we didn't give up anything. 

7 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Trade up for Kyler Murray?  That would be a very stupid move.

Agreed. Too many other needs to be trading away draft picks. The QB situation is going to be a hot mess for at least a couple years. Why not improve other parts of the roster? 

16 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Thats a big no on Stidham.

Basically, any time a guy in college doesnt improve year after year, thats about as big of a red flag as you can get. 

Tom Brady slaughtered it his sr year, then this guy, yikes.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*1979 Pitt Ind   QB 12 130 222 58.6 1680 7.6 6.6 10 9 128.9
*1980 Pitt Ind   QB 12 116 224 51.8 1609 7.2 5.7 15 14 121.7
*1981 Pitt Ind   QB 12 226 380 59.5 2876 7.6 6.8 37 23 143.1
*1982 Pitt Ind   QB 12 221 378 58.5 2432 6.4 4.6 17 23 115.2

14 hours ago, HigSkin said:

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11098164

its weird , I read the analysis of that article last night but the article since disappeared.     In the article, Lock was #3.  Murray was assessed that his numbers are just insane and set for success.  My old friend, Daniel Jones was ranked #9, with the author saying he doesn't get the hype on the dude at all and if he succeeds in the NFL he'd be a statistical aberration. 

I honestly don't believe Alex Smith will ever play football again... and I wouldn't blame him one bit. He's got kids and a wife. He needs to be around for the long haul and healthy for his kiddos. 

Do like they did with Ryan Shazier and let him help out with coaching up other players and being around the team facility. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

its weird , I read the analysis of that article last night but the article since disappeared.     In the article, Lock was #3.  Murray was assessed that his numbers are just insane and set for success.  My old friend, Daniel Jones was ranked #9, with the author saying he doesn't get the hype on the dude at all and if he succeeds in the NFL he'd be a statistical aberration. 

Big Ta'amu fan in the later rounds. Great accuracy at all levels and good, if not great, velocity. 

Pretty simple:

- Good arm

- Great accuracy

- Quick release

- Good poise and leadership

- Feet need a little work

- Simple system with no eye manipulation or progressions

- average size/frame

I would take Murray or Lock at 15... or Thornson/Ta'amu in the 5th

15 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Big Ta'amu fan in the later rounds. Great accuracy at all levels and good, if not great, velocity. 

Pretty simple:

- Good arm

- Great accuracy

- Quick release

- Good poise and leadership

- Feet need a little work

- Simple system with no eye manipulation or progressions

- average size/frame

I would take Murray or Lock at 15... or Thornson/Ta'amu in the 5th

Ironically I just posted a long post in the draft thread pushing Ta-amu.   Not sure about Thornson but agree with everything else you say here. 

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

How could that possibly go wrong? How?? We havent ever seen anything like this before. Especially not in 2012-2015! 

I hate myself almost as much as the Redskins hate me. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ironically I just posted a long post in the draft thread pushing Ta-amu.   Not sure about Thornson but agree with everything else you say here. 

Thornson is a wild card. Good athlete with TERRIBLE cast... but the guy is an absolute gamer and leader. Worth a shot real late.

As for Ta'amu, im in. I saw the mention of Dak, but he is a better prospect than Dak. 

- Dak was 23 y/o when he started training camp his rookie year, while Jordan wont even turn 22 until the end of his rookie year.

- Dak is a bigger/stronger athlete, but Jordan has a slightly better arm with MUCH better accuracy/touch.

Dak had the higher floor, but Jordan has a higher ceiling... I wouldnt hesitate to take him in the 4th or 5th.

You really think Murray would last here.  The moment a rough patch happens, he's out of here and playing baseball.   Any team that drafts him will have to live the with fact; he could jump to baseball anytime.  If things don't go his way, he will walk.

2019 is a lost year.  Build the rest of the team up and then in 2020, when the draft class could be like 2018; you get your QB.  You can sign a Ryan Fitzpatrick type QB to compete with Mccoy for the 2019 starting job.  Don't be foolish.

Both Gruden and Allen are wrong in their assessment of the Skins.

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You really think Murray would last here.  The moment a rough patch happens, he's out of here and playing baseball.   Any team that drafts him will have to live the with fact; he could jump to baseball anytime.  If things don't go his way, he will walk.

2019 is a lost year.  Build the rest of the team up and then in 2020, when the draft class could be like 2018; you get your QB.  You can sign a Ryan Fitzpatrick type QB to compete with Mccoy for the 2019 starting job.  Don't be foolish.

Both Gruden and Allen are wrong in their assessment of the Skins.

Yeah, for all of the love for Murray recently, I think it would be an absolute disaster waiting to happen if we drafted him.  I get that he has talent, but outside of the fact that I think very few running QBs(running, not scrambling to extend plays) have ever lead their team to anything meaningful in the NFL(and most just flame out), the bigger problem is what you mentioned.

The Redskins would be a horrible fit for Kyler Murray.  You take a guy who is tiny, who likes to run, who has heavily considered baseball(and was a high draft pick), and combine him with a dysfunctional organization and an offensive line sure to be in shambles by November, like every year, and before year 2 is even over hes been injured twice, realizing he doesnt want to be here, and looking at how sweet baseball looks for him.  

Keenum will probably be a Free Agent after this.  He is $7 million in dead cap if cut as opposed to $18 million if they keep him and I can't see a trade as everyone knows Denver is not going to pay Flacco and Keenum and so the cut is coming.  I am not sure about Keenum here, he had 1 good year sandwiched by a few awful ones but he is the type of QB who could work well in Jay's system and could be an affordable bridge for 1 year if we prefer to wait on 2020 to see where Alex is at and/or take a shot at what is meant to be a stronger QB class in the draft.

Archived