Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

23 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The game that continues to get overlooked and dismissed that confuses me is the Packers game. Of course I realize the Rodgers were banged up, but he had just come off two impressive games against decent teams (Bears and Vikings) and played well in the two games after us. If somehow he was most banged up in the middle of that 5-game stretch, I'd see your point.

We deserve more credit for the Packers game and possibly a little less credit for the Panthers game since they handed us that big lead that we clung to in the closing minutes. 

I get so annoyed at the folks who push this narrative. He got that injury in the 1st half of week 1 against the Bears, in that same game he scored 20 unanswered points in the 2nd half and beat a team who is currently in 1st place, then the next week he had the Vikes beat if it weren't for the bailout roughing the passer call on a 4th down interception thrown by Cousins.

They had their team and we outplayed them, not sure why some can't accept that.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:51 PM, NikeRedskin7 said:

Hey 6 wins in our case with our personnel is pretty damn good, no doubt.  But I guess we disagree on the no luck, bad schedule played an injured team not being a benefit to us.

We beat a very good Carolina team, then.....     A weak Cardinals team that we dominated like we SHOULD have, a injured Rodgers led team, a below average Cowboys offense, a horrible Giants team, and a below average Bucs team that we that did pretty much deliver us a victory on a silver platter, and I'm not the only one here that saw that.  I gladly will take that W though!!!

If our six wins had been Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Panthers, Falcons and somebody like the Vikings, I would say this team is for real!!!!  Do anybody in their right mind believe if these teams I just stated were on our schedule, we would still be a 6 win team???  Hell no.  So yes, our schedule wasn't a bad schedule, but it's pretty damn mediocre and we were fortunate to have gotten the wins we got in some games and took care of business in other games.

As far as playing against an freshly injured A. Rodgers, don't act like he was himself, because film backs up that argument and even the guys announcing the game pointed out how Rodgers couldn't escape the pocket, make off schedule plays and pass with normal accuracy like he normally does.

We've played incredible up front with an injured O-line but in some games it will hurt us.  Injuries DO matter.  If we lose a game because we had a good QB who was playing badly hurt that is the first thing we all will mention as a key to our loss.

But when we beat a team who has the best QB on the planet who plays badly injured, all of a sudden, it doesn't count as a benefitted bonus?  Please...  It works both ways.

We held Fitzmagic to 3 measly points at home...this guy has been putting up as many points as any QB in the league.

I agree our schedule hasn't been strong, but keep in mind the Bucs beat the Saints in New Orleans!

Was Aaron Rodgers hurt when we played him...probably. But, the Packers dropped a lot of passes that day which helped us. Rodgers wins a lot of games where he's not 100% so I don't buy that as the reason we won.

Sure we could use a signature win, maybe that comes this Sunday but hopefully we get it on Thanksgiving Day. That would be sweet.

Was going to start a thread with this question but decided it sort of fits in here (also in the name of not creating clutter)

Honestly, does it feel like the Redskins being "good" is a bonus?  Like I admit, this is the first season in awhile that I am not already thinking about the game when Wednesday rolls around.  Maybe I am getting more jaded, maybe with two growing daughters it occupies more of my head space?  However now it is usually Friday before I am really thinking about all the scenarios and possible outcomes of the game.

I have always watched every game, regardless of how good or bad the team has been, but it still feels weird to say "6-3." out loud.  This record certainly guarantees nothing, as they had the same record in what, 2015?2016 and it led to nothing, but still in most scenarios 6-3 has any team with a good shot to at least contend for the division.

I know there is a lot to not like about this team, but at the same time, how many seasons has this team been 3-6 or barely better at this point in the season?  It's like we are all taking for granted a little bit that they have found ways to get to this record.

Anyways, I am a bit faded, and starting to ramble. It was just something I was thinking about today before I started ingesting chemicals so maybe my point is getting lost on most?  

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

We held Fitzmagic to 3 measly points at home...this guy has been putting up as many points as any QB in the league.

I agree our schedule hasn't been strong, but keep in mind the Bucs beat the Saints in New Orleans!

Was Aaron Rodgers hurt when we played him...probably. But, the Packers dropped a lot of passes that day which helped us. Rodgers wins a lot of games where he's not 100% so I don't buy that as the reason we won.

Sure we could use a signature win, maybe that comes this Sunday but hopefully we get it on Thanksgiving Day. That would be sweet.

We can win the God damn super bowl and it wouldn't be enough of a "signature" win..

On November 16, 2018 at 10:45 AM, kingdaddy said:

Welp....  The Giants are whooping high flying, point scoring Bucs....  Fitz who?

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yep

Colt McCoy has been here for like 30 years. We've all seen enough to know he  ain't even remotely that dude. 

I thought Colt played a hell of a lot better than Smith. Does he have certain limitations, maybe, but I know Smith could not have done what he did and get the Redskins back in the lead.

Gloom and doomers enjoy your pity fest.

I saw a good team nearly beat another very good team despite losing our starting QB and having several bad calls go against us.

It just shows me I'm right in thinking we weren't pretending this season.

I'm curious to see how the team replaces Smith and how this further mentally toughens up our crew. These guys did not fold today and neither should the fans.

HTTR.

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Gloom and doomers enjoy your pity fest.

I saw a good team nearly beat another very good team despite losing our starting QB and having several bad calls go against us.

It just shows me I'm right in thinking we weren't pretending this season.

I'm curious to see how the team replaces Smith and how this further mentally toughens up our crew. These guys did not fold today and neither should the fans.

HTTR.

Great post

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Neither was Alex Smith.

Nope. I wish him good fortune, though. 

9 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I thought Colt played a hell of a lot better than Smith. Does he have certain limitations, maybe, but I know Smith could not have done what he did and get the Redskins back in the lead.

That is the tale of virtually every backup QB in the NFL that isn't a disaster, unfortunately. A product of game film, style/tendency, etc.

For Alex Smith, you had over half a season's worth of games. For Colt, you had what? 2 quarters? And several seasons, many with this this team, in the same offense.

I hope he does well, but let's be honest, he's  more than likely not going to.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nope. I wish him good fortune, though. 

That is the tale of virtually every backup QB in the NFL that isn't a disaster, unfortunately. A product of game film, style/tendency, etc.

For Alex Smith, you had over half a season's worth of games. For Colt, you had what? 2 quarters? And several seasons, many with this this team, in the same offense.

I hope he does well, but let's be honest, he's  more than likely not going to.

Colt does have better speed when running than Smith [ especially now ], but he didn't seem as timid.

I know a lot of it goes back to Gruden's play calling, but honestly, had Colt started the game, I think the Redskins would be on the winning side. Back to back interceptions nearly killed momentum, but when Smith went down, it was Jay Shroeder-esque coming in for Theismann.

It is very odd that 33 years ago, to the DAY, Theismann broke his leg. That's some poltergeist **** there.

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Colt does have better speed when running than Smith [ especially now ], but he didn't seem as timid.

I know a lot of it goes back to Gruden's play calling, but honestly, had Colt started the game, I think the Redskins would be on the winning side. Back to back interceptions nearly killed momentum, but when Smith went down, it was Jay Shroeder-esque coming in for Theismann.

It is very odd that 33 years ago, to the DAY, Theismann broke his leg. That's some poltergeist **** there.

No arguments there. The pick 6 in particular lost this game, and I knew it then, seeing as this isnt a great offense, and can't afford wasted opportunities like those.

The season was over after the Colts game.

The season was over after the Saints game.

The season was over when we lost 2 offensive linemen in the same game and got blown out by the Falcons at home.

The season was over before we even got to the Tampa game.

Now the season is over because we lost our starting QB who many of us wanted to bench anyway?  This is the most resilient Redskins team I've seen in a long time, no way am I counting them out yet.

I’m proud of the way the team played.  Like, really, really proud.  I thought the Texan’s dline was gonna have a field day and that we would be lucky to score.

The one negative that really stood out to me was that dropped pass by Vernon Davis.  The rest of the issues are/were, IMO, mostly nitpicking considering the way this team ‘fought their guts out’.   

Turkey Day game just got even more intriguing...

Sidenote - I picked Dallas to beat the Falcons and I’m pretty bummed it played out that way.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

No arguments there. The pick 6 in particular lost this game, and I knew it then, seeing as this isnt a great offense, and can't afford wasted opportunities like those.

STOP REMINDING ME!!  lol...

That was SO back-breaking.

When the hell is Crowder and Thompson coming back?  This team needs some speed to it badly.  The FO needs to realize this isn't the pound the rock NFL anymore, speed and agility are the way to go. Not to mention Gruden constantly calling running plays straight up the middle into a damned wall. Ray Charles could see it wasn't going to work, but he is about as much of the problem as Smith was.

I'm just frustrated, this game was easily winnable, but as another week goes, poor coaching/playcalling along with some ****ty refs proved to be the difference-maker. I'd almost wish one of our linemen would roll up on one of these refs when they start calling **** fouls.

Pretty sure this plays out with a 6-5 tie with Dallas after next week. Dallas will probably win the division, but who cares. I mean I hate Dallas but we aren't going to do anything in the playoffs if we make it and either are they. I'd rather take the better draft pick and they don't have one. Copper had what 3 catches today. That team is ran as poor as ours. Enjoy the division title it won't get you anything other than a playoff exit. 

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Now the season is over because we lost our starting QB who many of us wanted to bench anyway?

This is ES. We have a long, storied history of not being the sharpest tools in the shed, thinking a beautiful, bright future is waiting for us at backup QB.

I think if it was, the coaches would have sent him out there already.

But, I agree, they have weathered the storm this far, though thus would be more like weathering a tempest, if for no other reason than Alex Smith (prior to today's game) kept the team out of .mortal danger and largely played smart football. We often (me included) in our haste to find Dan Farvetana underestimate small things like that, and how they contribute positively to the win/loss column when done right, and are a glaring negative when done wrong.

I'll give this team credit for coming back from a deep hole and even getting a lead after trailing by double digits. After 2 interceptions in 3 plays, I could have easily seen some calling it quits (I know I thought the game was over at that point), so hats off to them for staying in it. A nasty injury to the starting QB could also have been a deflater, but the team rallied behind Colt and kept going. Credit to where credit is due, the team was mentally tough and looked good against a good team.

The 63 yard field goal attempt at the end however... I didn't agree with that at all. When the kicker's record long is 56 yards (and that kick maybe would have been good from an extra yard back) going for a 60+ yard field goal seemed like giving up. I know it's easier said than done to throw for ten yards and go out of bounds in about 5 seconds, but I still think they had a better shot at that than kicking from there.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is ES. We have a long, storied history of not being the sharpest tools in the shed, thinking a beautiful, bright future is waiting for us at backup QB.

I think if it was, the coaches would have sent him out there already.

But, I agree, they have weathered the storm this far, though thus would be more like weathering a tempest, if for no other reason than Alex Smith (prior to today's game) kept the team out of .mortal danger and largely played smart football. We often (me included) in our haste to find Dan Farvetana underestimate small things like that, and how they contribute positively to the win/loss column when done right, and are a glaring negative when done wrong.

I believe they wanted to and couldn't because of the resources tied up in the Alex. They HAD to make that work, as much as I wanted them to do it, that's really hard to bench someone making that kinda money, front office absolutely has a say in that and has to buy in this early in the acquisition.

Alex won't get that kinda leash when or if he comes back.  In fact, I don't believe he does because of how frustrated the coaching staff was with him and now he's coming off an injury that won't make sense him coming back from at this stage of his career.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I believe they wanted to and couldn't because of the resources tied up in the Alex. They HAD to make that work, as much as I wanted them to do it, that's really hard to bench someone making that kinda money, front office absolutely has a say in that and has to buy in this early in the acquisition.

Alex won't get that kinda leash when or if he comes back.  In fact, I don't believe he does because of how frustrated the coaching staff was with him and now he's coming off an injury that won't make sense him coming back from at this stage of his career.

Not sure I buy that. This is the same coach that had no qualms about sitting Griffin, 2x, the second time, permanently, all while we were led to believe (I honestly never did) that the owner had his back...  And they had just mortgaged their entire roster for him, and it was also Grudens first year, when he has zero clout.

I think money is always easier to chalk up as a loss rather than two first rounders, and honestly, I think  when a man's job is on the line (like Grudens and others seem to be this year), the only thing you absolutely have to make work, is a playoff season, and you ride with whoever you truly believe is best equipped to get you there.

I think things like pride and loyalty stop right at "Job Security". Doubt, even if he believed he had to make it work with Alex (if he felt Colt was better), he'd sacrifice his job as HC to do it.

Archived