Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When you're a good team and you're winning, the ball bounces your way. You make your own luck.

What I've actually liked about this season is that we've had just as many things break against us. We've just been "fortunate" that most of our bad breaks all came in 2 games. I thought in both those games there were a lot of calls that went against us. Granted, even if the refs favored us in those games we'd have still lost...so in the karmic sense of things, I like that we took our lumps and it only came out to 2 losses while we've successfully spread our good breaks over 5 wins. 

I consider the Colts game different...I don't remember anything significant going against us...they just kind of kicked our ass. The inverse was true on opening day. I can't recall too many "breaks" we got. We just dominated the Cardinals from the get-go. 

If this continues, I'll gladly trade one ugly loss for a couple/few tight wins and keep piling up the Ws and clinch the division by mid-December! 

24 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What I've actually liked about this season is that we've had just as many things break against us. We've just been "fortunate" that most of our bad breaks all came in 2 games. I thought in both those games there were a lot of calls that went against us. Granted, even if the refs favored us in those games we'd have still lost...so in the karmic sense of things, I like that we took our lumps and it only came out to 2 losses while we've successfully spread our good breaks over 5 wins. 

I consider the Colts game different...I don't remember anything significant going against us...they just kind of kicked our ass. The inverse was true on opening day. I can't recall too many "breaks" we got. We just dominated the Cardinals from the get-go. 

If this continues, I'll gladly trade one ugly loss for a couple/few tight wins and keep piling up the Ws and clinch the division by mid-December! 

Yeah, the Falcons (despite a lot of WTF calls from the refs) and Saints games were just flat our 2 offenses that this defense is not ready to contend with.  The Colts game is the one game so far that is going to sting if at some point if the season goes south and the team ends up getting a lower seeding, or falls into an elimination game to end the season, or even worse (because nothing has even begun to look like a safe bet yet).  

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Yeah, the Falcons (despite a lot of WTF calls from the refs) and Saints games were just flat our 2 offenses that this defense is not ready to contend with.  The Colts game is the one game so far that is going to sting if at some point if the season goes south and the team ends up getting a lower seeding, or falls into an elimination game to end the season, or even worse (because nothing has even begun to look like a safe bet yet).  

Yep, I'm glad our random loss (so far) was an AFC game so it doesn't hurt tie-breakers, etc. 

We could make it to the championship game and get blown out and some people would be sitting there saying "I told you we sucked".

We've hovered around a .500 record for 3 years and now we're surpassing it. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

I dont care for the "one player away" mantra, but look what drafting Payne did. A 4rth round mid season trade for Dix is really going to make a difference. 

We're improving finally. 

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We could make it to the championship game and get blown out and some people would be sitting there saying "I told you we sucked".

We've hovered around a .500 record for 3 years and now we're surpassing it. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

I dont care for the "one player away" mantra, but look what drafting Payne did. A 4rth round mid season trade for Dix is really going to make a difference. 

We're improving finally. 

We need to stay healthy. The OL injuries are getting ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're improving finally. 

We are improving, but when we beat a top tier team, I will be a believer that this is a team that can hang with anyone.  I don't see the issue with that.

The upcoming game against the Texans will be a huge test for the people on the o-line and the line coach.

Houston isn't known for lighting up the scoreboard but they have the capability to.

We all know Gruden isn't any good at 2nd half adjusting, and that will be the focal point; the players want to break this cloud over their second halves of games of not scoring, Fighting and hanging in there, not giving up and chalking it to an 'oh well no harm no foul' game just might give them a few breaks they need to get back in the game.

If they do win this game it will be a huge confidence booster, especially with the o-line, and I think the rest of the division will fumble around into mediocrity; you know, like we used to do...

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Panthers and Packers are top 11.

Packers - c'mon, we didn't get Rodgers at his best.  

Panthers - we didn't get them at their best, they have played better since they faced us, although it was as much of a complete win from us for any game this season outside of the Cardinals.  

I'm talking about the Saints and the Rams.  We will get annihilated.  Saints already did it once.

The Redskins will either win the division and get in hot or stumble and not make it..I believe they get hot and go as a scary team..keep the faith the offense will hit a spark and come around with a defense I think is just starting to peak and well look out folks...keep the Cardinals 07 season in mind down the stretch here...that's even with losses to two of the last three afc teams we play 

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Packers - c'mon, we didn't get Rodgers at his best.  

Panthers - we didn't get them at their best, they have played better since they faced us, although it was as much of a complete win from us for any game this season outside of the Cardinals.  

I'm talking about the Saints and the Rams.  We will get annihilated.  Saints already did it once.

how many excuses do you allow the Skins when they lose?  Stop making excuses for the other teams when they win

Just now, carex said:

how many excuses do you allow the Skins when they lose?  Stop making excuses for the other teams when they win

Tell me I'm wrong.  Did we beat the Packers at full strength?  Did we beat the Panthers like they're currently playing?

There are no style points, but if people want to be objective and remove emotion from the OMG THEY ARE FINALLY WINNING feelings, it's just obvious that the Skins aren't elite.  

I don't know why I continue to opine, I guess I should just be thrilled that they're winning ugly and wonder wtf happened when they face a real team in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tell me I'm wrong.  Did we beat the Packers at full strength?  Did we beat the Panthers like they're currently playing?

There are no style points, but if people want to be objective and remove emotion from the OMG THEY ARE FINALLY WINNING feelings, it's just obvious that the Skins aren't elite.  

I don't know why I continue to opine, I guess I should just be thrilled that they're winning ugly and wonder wtf happened when they face a real team in the playoffs.

**** elite, they're winning.  The 18-0 Pats lost to a wild card team

The doubts I have about the team stem from our identity.  We’re a run first team, yet we couldn’t run the ball well against some poor run defenses.  We stuff the run, but the lowly Falcons run game plowed through us.  Barber looked like a stud against us at times.  

So really, we have one thing to hang our hats on - turnovers*.  Now turnover differential is big, no doubt, huge in fact.  However, it’s just not the same as a defense that can stop anyone or an offense that can score on anyone.  I’m not saying it’s necessarily worse, just that it’s a harder facet to have confidence in.  

To add to this, an injured oline makes it more likely our ground game struggles and Smith turns the ball over.  Those two things could really derail our ability to stay (so far) ahead on turnover differential. 

* I will say that our punting and kicking game have been quite good, which helps of course.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

We've had injuries too. Smith had a crap center, with his life all ****ed up and some top players nicked up. So, were not elite. Nobody is saying we are. I'm just saying that we're good. Maybe even win a playoff game. 

Looking down the stretch, other than Houston, it looks pretty winnable, right? Do you think we can win most of those games? I do and I haven't said that in a long time.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I sometimes think I’d enjoy it more if folks weren’t insistent on telling me I should enjoy it more.  I totally understand relishing in success no matter how sustainable or possibly short lived it can be given the history here.  I root for the team every single Sunday.  I scream at my TV.  I clap loudly and profusely.  But I cannot lie to myself and say that I believe in what I’m seeing.  I don’t begrudge folks being optimistic but I can strongly disagree with their views.  Some of our fans will piss on your back and tell you it’s raining just like the organization has for so many years.  For some I think they just truly love the team so much they just can’t help but convince themselves into positive outcomes.  For some, I think they just like to argue but deep down don’t believe in the team all that much either.

Archived