Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

I’m not going to stop pretending. Sure we don’t have the Saints, the Rams or the Patriots here but I’m encouraged with what we do have: a decent team with heart. 

These guys are not just giving up the way they used to do (Aints game excepted) and that means there could be times here and there when they squeak out a win that the Skins we’ve grown used to wouldn’t. 

If the cards fall right that could lead to a playoff win. 

OK. I will leave all the Debbie downers and naysayers to this thread. Enjoy your misery! 

No, will pretend all the way to our inevitable playoff loss.  Jay and Bruce will get contract extensions because of the playoff birth.

2019, the pretending ends, when reality hits us and we fall back to our usual non-playoff spot.

Hey, it's nice to be 6-3.  Starting out good, is very rare for us.

I think for many, they see this probable playoff year a fluke.  Just like 2015 was, a fluke.  This team just being able to take advantage of division that's having a down year.  That was the case in 2015 and that's the case this year.  2015 didn't lead us anywhere other than mediocrity.  The team didn't build upon that and actually were slightly worse, the next 2 years.  We see how this 2018 team does against teams with offenses that can score.  They can't matchup.

We won yesterday or did Tampa do everything to lose? A better team, would've crushed us yesterday.

A playoff birth seems likely this year but does that likely birth give you hope for the future?  Do you see us becoming a consistent playoff team under Gruden now? Are we going to have a Lombardi Trophy in the not to distance future, under Gruden?

I don't.  I'll enjoy the probable playoff birth, but I view this year; more of a fluke. I see us finishing worse next year. Gruden has a ceiling.  2018 is a 2015 redux. Then it goes back to what it is in 2019.

Long term, I think the Browns have a better prospect; if they hire the right coach.  A GM. A QB.  The Bengals are the Bengals. Ravens need rebuilding. Steelers won't have Ben too much longer.  By the time Browns are good, they could rule the AFC North.

I don't see the Skins ever ruling the NFC East, just the occasional playoff birth.  Philly and Dallas will probably rebound next year.  I'm not expectating D.C. to be in that conversation in 2019.

2018 just feels like a one-time, short term run.  So, that excitement isn't just there. 

I can't help think how much better we would be if we did the right thing at QB in 2016 and signed our home grown product to a long term contract.

I can't help think how much better we would be if Allen was not on this team, or at least he wasn't mixed in the personnel decisions.

I can't help think how much better we would be right now with Fuller back there in his CB spot.

I can't help how much better we would be if we kept one of the two WRs (DJax or Garcon) instead of going all in on Doctson (even though yesterday he showed he can play in this league).

This team has some bright spots by Smith simply puts a cloud over them.  People are blaming Gruden at every opportunity but he can't make a cake without eggs.  We have plenty of evidence what the offense is capable of with a serviceable QB in the past, and let me you tell you ladies and gents, Smith is not even serviceable right now.

29 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I can't help think how much better we would be if Allen was not on this team, or at least he wasn't mixed in the personnel decisions.

Must be morning brain. I read this and thought... What in the world do you have against Jonathan Allen?

6-3!!!  Let’s go!  

I was very frustrated with this offense particularly this weekend.  With 2 min to go in half, Alex finally started throwing passes beyond 8 yards.  Low and behold the Bucs D had to back up, I’m hoping Alex felt this/saw this and continues this.  The shot to Vernon should be a TD by a pro Qb, this game wasn’t as close as the score reflected.  The phantom holding call I believe took another 4 points off the board too.  27-3 in my opinion coulda/shoulda been the score.  

On to the Texans!  Another team off their bye, thanks NFL! 

The team doesn't quit but to say it's a damn good one is a big stretch.  There is almost no margin for error in their wins - one less turnover or one fewer dropped pass by the opponent and those wins turn into losses.  On the other hand they have building blocks.  If the Skins can successfully retool the offense and continue with their defensive tinkering they could be better than an 8-8 team next year ( I mean a team that doesn't depend on luck to get its wins).

No, this team will pretend for 2 or 3 more years. Jay and Bruce will be getting extension with our probable playoff birth.

With a more capable NFC East, we fall back in 2019 and miss playoffs.  2020 sees us continue to disappoint, especially when Smith starts to break down. Year 7 of mediocre Jay is finally put to an end, after the 2020 season. The son of Norv Turner era, finally ends in Jan. 2021.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

No, this team will pretend for 2 or 3 more years. Jay and Bruce will be getting extension with our probable playoff birth.

With a more capable NFC East, we fall back in 2019 and miss playoffs.  2020 sees us continue to disappoint, especially when Smith starts to break down. Year 7 of mediocre Jay is finally put to an end, after the 2020 season. The son of Norv Turner era, finally ends in Jan. 2021.

OMGzzzz. May you find peace and the happy.

55 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Savor it for the next six days but I see Watson absolutely shredding our defense next Sunday.

I disagree....The Texans offensive line is not good and our defensive front should exploit this. We need to limit Hopkins and put up 23 points somehow...Watson was held in check in Denver last week and we should do the same. My bigger worry is JJ Watt, we don't have much for him and Clowney.....keep dumping it to Bibbs.

If we beat the Texans itll be 12-10 and fans will complain. 

Most of our starters are draft picks, we suffered major injuries and then beat the type of team that beats us, got another monkey off our back. We may not be the Rams, but we're better than we've been and trending up.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Most of our starters are draft picks, we suffered major injuries and then beat the type of team that beats us, got another monkey off our back. We may not be the Rams, but we're better than we've been and trending up.

What are the key strategies for a team like the Skins to beat a team like the Texans?

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

is anyone keeping a list of the "6-3" and "5-3" people over the last few weeks?

we'll want to cross check it with the people ****ing up a storm when they figure it out at the end of the season.

I'm excited were 6-3 and am willing to give credit where it is due.

I also accept the fact that the current model we have in place likely will not pay dividends in the post season

I think Alex Smith has not played well enough.

I also think that this TEAM is capable of being successful in the playoffs as it's constructed (with the return of Chris Thompson) 

I DONT think that the shortcomings of the team, while he has his fair share, are completely on the shoulders of Alex Smith. 

At the end of the season if this team doesn't get better, we're not going to be able to do what we need to do when it matters.... I understand that....

I'm also excited that we're 6-3. 

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm also excited that we're 6-3. 

Thats good and I’m glad for you. You also seem realistic about the team. 

I’d be excited about a 3-6 team that was having bad luck but looked good. 

I cant get excited about a 6-3 team that looks bad and looks like they’re going to get their doors blown off when they play a good team. Oh well :(

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The word is berth.

I don't think it would be enough to get Bruce off the hook for his mistakes. 

As for Jay, he has his problems, but I think he is the best Dan Snyder can do.  Remember, he let Kyle and Sean leave the building.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

As long as we continue to have a bad passing game, fans will continue to complain about it.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Thats good and I’m glad for you. You also seem realistic about the team. 

I’d be excited about a 3-6 team that was having bad luck but looked good. 

I cant get excited about a 6-3 team that looks bad and looks like they’re going to get their doors blown off when they play a good team. Oh well :(

Fair enough... your 3 and 6 team is looking at mock drafts while my 6 and 3 team is looking to host a playoff game 

Archived