Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

We've played two good offenses this year, the Saints and Falcons. End result? Being outscored 82-33. 

Oh yeah, both of those teams have crap defenses. 

Typical Jay Gruden smoke and mirrors team. Play well against average teams, get blasted and embarrassed by the solid ones. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Who was pretending?  This team is what it is.  The question is how many Saints/Falcons-caliber offenses are left on the schedule?  

Regardless of what you think of this team overall, at 5-3....are there 4 more games on the schedule you point that that they can probably win with the kind of team they have?  I say yes.  Doesn't make them a great team.

Its not how many of those offenses are left, its how many opponents will try to duplicate what the Falcons did.

It is mildly ironic that both Grudens blow at their job. Non-creative play calling AND design; a lot of the plays, especially when AP got the ball, they KNEW EXACTLY where to slant to, and it worked, forcing Alex to try and do something, which we all knew wasn't going to happen.

He really disappoints me.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Its not how many of those offenses are left, its how many opponents will try to duplicate what the Falcons did.

It is mildly ironic that both Grudens blow at their job. Non-creative play calling AND design; a lot of the plays, especially when AP got the ball, they KNEW EXACTLY where to slant to, and it worked, forcing Alex to try and do something, which we all knew wasn't going to happen.

It worked.....probably because Morgan Moses was the only starting O-lineman out there for most of the game, including a rookie who was getting thrown around at will.

Relex. I knew this would be bad and I knew saints would be bad. We are a good team. Just not elite.

We will end 11-5

See our d has been put 7 in the box and rush. It stops the run and forces the QB to react. They have to make quick choices or scramble

But our coverage is week. There are guys open all over. So, a smart/talented pass first qb (like luck, bres, and Ryan) will tear us up.

A QB like Dak, Newton, Manning can't handle it. They take the sack or throw bad passes. Sometimes they find the open guy and burn us but not much. Meanwhile with 7 in the box no one is running. (Today when Ryan was killing is we dropped back 2 or 3 and the running game opened up)

And for those thinking Newton and Dak are great QBs, they are not top passers. Quick ad hoc Decesion or running and accurate passing is not their strong area. On the sack /fumbler/TD against Cowboys there were like 3 wide open guys. Dak just couldn't throw it.

So far, the only exception to this is Rogers. And he was so banged up when he played us we caught a break.

This is all about the QBs.  Nothing else matters. 

We only have 1 elite accurate passer left on our schedule. 

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Like clockwork...one bad game and it’s throw in the towel time for a good lot of you. Fact is, the Skins are still 5-3, and in first place in the NFC East. Me? I’ll just watch the games and hope for the best.

I'm with ya!

I mean, we make the playoffs, what only every 3-4 years?  This might be one, I'll take it, want more, but I'll take it.  The trick will always be getting back the next year, but if all the focus is on the destination, the journey will be undervalued.  It's like running franchise mode and just simulating every season, I can't do that as a fan, I don't want to.  

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I mean, we make the playoffs, what only every 3-4 years?  This might be one, I'll take it, want more, but I'll take it.  The trick will always be getting back the next year, but if all the focus is on the destination, the journey will be undervalued.  It's like running franchise mode and just simulating every season, I can't do that as a fan, I don't want to.  

Jay got his fully guaranteed contract through 2019, and Smith got his with most money tied up in the first few years through 2020, right? 

So, in the offseason, I'd been considering this a 3 year project that should really pay off in yr 2 and 3. I'm not surprised at the winning record so far this year, but yeah, I didn't expect 2 of the 3 losses to be quite so lopsided. Maybe they add talent on offense, and both sides keep improving... maybe not. Whatever happens, all I know is there's not one thing I can do about whatever it is they do. So, I'll just sit back.. smile at the successes and shrug off the fails. Treat it kind of like a sports entertainment pastime. That's what I'll do. 

21 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

After watching a half of Goff and Brees play, you really understand how average, and that is being gracious, that Alex is.  

4 minutes ago, glongest said:

After watching a half of Goff and Brees play, you really understand how average, and that is being gracious, that Alex is.  

It's one of the reasons I hate watching other games after we get blown out, the little stuff we can't do better teams make look easy.  Most of my adult life has been asking the age old question: "Why can't we do that?"  Always goes straight to voicemail.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not thinking playoffs, not in the least bit.

The book is out on how to beat the Redskins. All opponents have to do is play west coast style or run 3-4 WR sets; the Redskins secondary only has a couple players who can actually keep up. The Falcons were running picks all day and they kept falling for it every single play, opening up passing lanes for Ryan.

But Gruden and Smith are the most disappointing. Smith has been in this league a long time, seen every defense there is, and he still hasn't figured out how to throw a WR open; he has to wait until the WR is open, THEN he throws to him { with his 45 second wind-up before throwing }. But then again there are no decent WRs on this team, at least that's the way Smith plays.

I dont know who was ever pretending. We all knew what we are. We have a good defense and running game and that will keep you games when your Wr's dont drop the ball and the Refs dont call holding on every drive. This team MUST get the lead in games. That didnt happen today for the reasons above. 

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

I'm not thinking playoffs, not in the least bit.

The book is out on how to beat the Redskins. All opponents have to do is play west coast style or run 3-4 WR sets; the Redskins secondary only has a couple players who can actually keep up. The Falcons were running picks all day and they kept falling for it every single play, opening up passing lanes for Ryan.

But Gruden and Smith are the most disappointing. Smith has been in this league a long time, seen every defense there is, and he still hasn't figured out how to throw a WR open; he has to wait until the WR is open, THEN he throws to him { with his 45 second wind-up before throwing }. But then again there are no decent WRs on this team, at least that's the way Smith plays.

I get your point but not many teams that we will play in the immediate sense really can take advantage of our backup secondary players.  Atlanta and New Orleans receiver core can beat us, they can beat most defenses.

What's going on with Smith is downright scary, were at a point where a serious conversation needs to be had about how to get out of that contract ASAP.

I think it's not a question of us losing, but how badly we lost. Today reminded me a bit of us losing 34-17 at home to Buffalo in 1999. Except, as Kleese always points out, the division was weaker in 99 and didn't have a SB champ to contend with.

I still think 10-6 may be attainable but losses like today and NO make me think I'm crazy for saying that. And I wouldn't like our chances against Philly with a playoff spot on the line.

51 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's like codependency, even if the Redskins stop drinking that's not good enough, too used to them drinking and being angry at them about it.

We want a lot of our fans to stop drinking......  the Larry Michael flavored Kool Aid is causing a lot of delusional and misguided point of views.  It's sad and as a family we must intervene and give them prescriptions or reality pills.

27 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Relex. I knew this would be bad and I knew saints would be bad. We are a good team. Just not elite.

We will end 11-5

BARTENDER!!!!  I want whatever this guy is drinking!!!!!  Make that a double!!!!

5 minutes ago, 49erguy225 said:

Well do u think jay Gruden is better than those coaches?

No. He definitely is not. But when Kirk was here, gruden did have a pretty potent timing based, throw to a space before receiver breaks type passing. Like we’ve seen in the rams-saints game. 

I don’t hate jay as much as most but I’m starting to think he would be best served as an OC.

just don’t understand why weren’t getting designed and leaked plays out to our backs. AP hasn’t been know for it but has done it. Bibbs could definitely do it. 

Can losing CT be that detrimental? If Alex needs easy to see throws in front of him, those are perfect.

10 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

We want a lot of our fans to stop drinking......  the Larry Michael flavored Kool Aid is causing a lot of delusional and misguided point of views.  It's sad and as a family we must intervene and give them prescriptions or reality pills.

Um.. different issue, but still valid.  I think some people feed off idea this team being worse then it is, some feed of it being better then it is.  Usually somewhere in the middle.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I get your point but not many teams that we will play in the immediate sense really can take advantage of our backup secondary players.  Atlanta and New Orleans receiver core can beat us, they can beat most defenses.

What's going on with Smith is downright scary, were at a point where a serious conversation needs to be had about how to get out of that contract ASAP.

Well, we still have to play the Eagles twice, so there goes the NFC East lead. I do not have any faith whatsoever in Gruden having a game plan nor Smith and the offense to even challenge them. Next week its the Bucs, with Fitzpatrick, DJax and Evans,  then the Texans with Watson and their defense, then Philly, then in Dallas, then later the Pats. I honestly do not think this team will win another game until they play either the Jags or the Jets, which would most likely leave them looking at 8-8, MAYBE 9-7, but the division will already have been lost by then, and this team isn't sneaking in the playoffs as a wild card.

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

No. He definitely is not. But when Kirk was here, gruden did have a pretty potent timing based, throw to a space before receiver breaks type passing. Like we’ve seen in the rams-saints game. 

I don’t hate jay as much as most but I’m starting to think he would be best served as an OC.

just don’t understand why weren’t getting designed and leaked plays out to our backs. AP hasn’t been know for it but has done it. Bibbs could definitely do it. 

Can losing CT be that detrimental? If Alex needs easy to see throws in front of him, those are perfect.

Gruden is pretty much the OC right now, and he is no good at it. If he has the best QB, the best WRs, the best RBs, then he may be able to get to 10-6 or 11-5, but that would be purely on athletic abilities, not from his predictable play calling. The Falcons watched film and saw formations and reacted to and stuffed them; that's pretty telling.

I’m disappointed as well and my bubbles been burst. Things happened in this game I expected like Julio scoring but some I am still in shock over like only two sacks when two backups were starting for them, how good Coleman looked, and how this was a body bag game for us at home.

Really thought they would win but the writings on the wall. If they go up against a team that can pass the ball (Colts, Saints, and Falcons) expect a loss, it’s money in the bank

Archived