Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

Is it time to face reality and stop thinking this team is anymore than it is? A Blah football team. EASILY the weakest division leader(not for long), in football. Spurts of goodness(never greatness). Defense has good game , bad game. Offense is invisible.  Flags, sacks, injuries, dropped balls, more flags, holding, PI's.  Quite honestly, I have no expectations for this team at all but to fight for second place with Dallas in the East. ( neither of which makes playoffs.) The wins have been gotten by scraping by on offense and having some decent defense. Week after week we keep waiting for the offense to start clicking but no. So, who really thinks this team has anything to offer? And why? really.

Nobody is pretending from what I can tell.  This is a top 5 defense that has been shredded by dynamic offenses but not other ones.  Most people are disappointed with Alex play.  Remainder of schedule is still reasonable to make the most of it despite reality.  There's a difference between ignoring reality and making the most of it.

First Philly game will say more then everything up to that point.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It was fun while it lasted, but I was never pretending to begin with. You can basically set your watch to this football team.

Been that way for decades. They'll likely rebound from this a bit, but they clearly are who they are, and that's not changing in 2018 at least

I mean has it been fun? I mean every game we've won we sit on the lead and hope for the other team to blow it or for ours to make a stop on defense. 

We've played one team over 500 and that was the Saints. They embarrassed us and now another team that is 500 because of today embarrassed us.

I've said from day one they were fools gold and they are. 

9 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

This is a .500 team and depending on the breaks and injuries may make the playoffs. 

No no fan here thinks this team is elite so who exactly is thread supposed to be addressed to ... enough threads for fans to **** and complain in. 

Elite is one thing but some of the people around here thought Haha was a sign of a good team getting better. 

He wasn't and will be a waste of a 4th Rd pick if he isn't resigned. We got a rental player for a team that probably won't make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I mean has it been fun? I mean every game we've won we sit on the lead and hope for the other team to blow it or for ours to make a stop on defense. 

We've played one team over 500 and that was the Saints. They embarrassed us and now another team that is 500 because of today embarrassed us.

I've said from day one they were fools gold and they are. 

True, but I'm of the mindset that a win is a win. Winning is damn hard, but not as damn hard as this organization makes it seem.

I just enjoy them, few and far in between as they are. I'm 30, I haven't had anything else to look at but largely seasons like this.

The injuries just kill me though. Really hard to understand how we can lose half of our offensive line in the same game; hard to understand how Thompson can miss half the season again.

Teams with good coaching staffs just don’t look like we looked today. Certainly not at home. There are major schematic problems

on the defensive side of the ball. Way too much talent to look like that. So frustrating. 

This team is average at best. The silver lining is that the division is struggling. Maybe the Skins make the playoffs, but I don't see them winning that game if they do. Part of me thinks it'd be worse for the team to win the division because it'd give Dan a reason to keep the GM and Coaches that lead them there.

17 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

This is a .500 team and depending on the breaks and injuries may make the playoffs. 

No no fan here thinks this team is elite so who exactly is thread supposed to be addressed to ... enough threads for fans to **** and complain in. 

This. 

But I do think we are a better team than most of our skeptics.

Clearly we matchup poorly against explosive passing teams. Thankfully there don't appear to be that many left on our schedule. We aren't a bad team, I think we're decent to pretty good, but as I figured going in we just don't match up well with the Falcons. I'm not gonna go crazy.

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nobody is pretending from what I can tell.  This is a top 5 defense that has been shredded by dynamic offenses but not other ones.  Most people are disappointed with Alex play.  Remainder of schedule is still reasonable to make the most of it despite reality.  There's a difference between ignoring reality and making the most of it.

First Philly game will say more then everything up to that point.  

The only problem we have is playing teams with losing records. Traditionally those are always a struggle for us.

10-6 is still attainable and most likely 

the ceiling is just extremely low. They will host a playoff game and probably be killed...possibly against these same Falcons 

and then you regress next season to mediocrity in the standings. Same as the Cowboys and Giants in 2016. Bills and Jags last year. 

The 2018 NFL is set up for offenses to thrive. So being a defense first team isn’t sustainable...especially ours since it isn’t elite. It’s just good. ATL scores off pick plays that aren’t called. The rules are tilted towards offense. Towards passing. We are built the opposite and no, you cannot win consistently like that. It’s not debatable. You can luck into a 10 win season every few years but you’ll be screwed come January 

Who was pretending?  This team is what it is.  The question is how many Saints/Falcons-caliber offenses are left on the schedule?  

Regardless of what you think of this team overall, at 5-3....are there 4 more games on the schedule you point that that they can probably win with the kind of team they have?  I say yes.  Doesn't make them a great team.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

the ceiling is just extremely low. They will host a playoff game and probably be killed...possibly against these same Falcons 

and then you regress next season to mediocrity in the standings. Same as the Cowboys and Giants in 2016. Bills and Jags last year. 

The 2018 NFL is set up for offenses to thrive. So being a defense first team isn’t sustainable...especially ours since it isn’t elite. It’s just good. ATL scores off pick plays that aren’t called. The rules are tilted towards offense. Towards passing. We are built the opposite and no, you cannot win consistently like that. It’s not debatable. You can luck into a 10 win season every few years but you’ll be screwed come January 

Pretty much this. If this was 1994 we'd probably be an 11-5 football team. Just not quite constructed well enough to compete at a high level in the modern day NFL

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

That is true. Its hard to sustain success when you're a defense first team. And if you do make the playoffs, you tend to lose to the elite QBs.

With that said, I'll take a good defense for now and hope we can keep retooling the offense. I'll gladly accept 10-6 and a playoff loss being a defense first team this year if it means we have a foundation to build on. I don't think its the same as 05/07 because those Ds were built primarily through FAs.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

That is true. Its hard to sustain success when you're a defense first team. And if you do make the playoffs, you tend to lose to the elite QBs.

With that said, I'll take a good defense for now and hope we can keep retooling the offense. I'll gladly accept 10-6 and a playoff loss being a defense first team this year if it means we have a foundation to build on. I don't think its the same as 05/07 because those Ds were built primarily through FAs.

Agreed but we need SIGNIFICANT upgrades on offense. And it’s hard to do with you’re locked in with Alex 

Archived