Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

I think the issue is the defense is overrated.  It's average to good not great.   We saw a great defense last night in Dallas.

We have a good D line.  But we have further worker to do.  Football Outsiders have been saying for weeks that the Redskins defense is a sham if you factor their metrics which included the offenses they faced.  DJ Swearinger more or less said that's their strength beating up on bad offenses.  We need some more help at MLB, another corner, another pass rusher.  The work isn't done on that front.

As for the offense, mediocre to less than that quarterbacks whether its Alex or Colt.  Maybe Colt will surprise us next week.  Alex couldn't move the ball and Colt as his been his entire career was Rex Grossman light yesterday.   Mediocre weapons.  We got no speed on offense and that's apparent when you watch other teams.

I don't think its a bad team, though.  They are looking mediocre to just slightly above.  As usual though without that killer instinct IMO -- which more or less what Swearinger was complaining about.

Injuries hurt, no doubt, but I said before the season i am not counting on them not happening again, why not could an injury prone team double down on that back to back years.  Sadly, that's indeed happened.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:06 PM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

This is a .500 team and depending on the breaks and injuries may make the playoffs. 

No no fan here thinks this team is elite so who exactly is thread supposed to be addressed to ... enough threads for fans to **** and complain in. 

I'm sure ALL fans are happy YOUR speaking on their behalf. And , that is what these forums are for. Why are you here? To powder everyones behind after a loss?

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the issue is the defense is overrated.  It's average to good not great.   We saw a great defense last night in Dallas.

We have a good D line.  But we have further worker to do.  Football Outsiders have been saying for weeks that the Redskins defense is a sham if you factor their metrics which included the offenses they faced.  DJ Swearinger more or less said that's their strength beating up on bad offenses.  We need some more help at MLB, another corner, another pass rusher.  The work isn't done on that front.

As for the offense, mediocre to less than that quarterbacks whether its Alex or Colt.  Maybe Colt will surprise us next week.  Alex couldn't move the ball and Colt as his been his entire career was Rex Grossman light yesterday.   Mediocre weapons.  We got no speed on offense and that's apparent when you watch other teams.

I don't think its a bad team, though.  They are looking mediocre to just slightly above.  As usual though without that killer instinct IMO -- which more or less what Swearinger was complaining about.

Injuries hurt, no doubt, but I said before the season i am not counting on them not happening again, why not could an injury prone team double down on that back to back years.  Sadly, that's indeed happened.

I think the D would be better even with this exact same personnel with a better Coordinator. Manusky coaches scared an is schemes are way too vanilla. You never see exotic blitzes or even the DL doing any stunts. The entire D is reliant on the DL getting pressure with just the front four on nothing but bull rushes.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

We were an 8-8 team in August and now we’re a banged up 8-8 team in November.

If we get hot and get a couple breaks, we could get to 9-7.

I've said for a while that I think this team looks like an 8-8 team that has been overachieving. And that's basically what we look like more and more. Yeah, injuries suck but I think our early record was closer to smoke and mirrors than we want to really admit. 

The entire Jay Gruden experience has felt very 8-8. When the division is better or we have a tough schedule, we look worse. When the division is worse or we have an easier schedule, we look better. It's rarely us imposing our will, but rather we beat teams that have a history in beating themselves. 

in his 5th season as the head coach we are 34-40. That factors in the tough first year where they went 4-12. Let's chalk that up to 'building'. Since that first season we've gone 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 and now are sitting at 6-5. However we finish this year I'm 92.7% sure I won't be too excited about Alex Smith implementing a Jay Gruden game plan in 2019 and I sort of feel we'll be '8-8ish' all year long. 

Maybe here's another way of looking at it - Fully understanding a 'puncher's chance' and the playoffs being a one game series, but does anyone feel any amount of confidence that this team (or any Jay Gruden teams) can beat at least 3 teams with a winning record in a row? 

On 11/4/2018 at 4:36 PM, NoCalMike said:

Who was pretending?  This team is what it is.  The question is how many Saints/Falcons-caliber offenses are left on the schedule?  

Regardless of what you think of this team overall, at 5-3....are there 4 more games on the schedule you point that that they can probably win with the kind of team they have?  I say yes.  Doesn't make them a great team.

4 more games?(now 3 I suppose), Well, its looking we take our rightful spot in last place as usual. ( after Giants whip us ). Clearly no more wins possible at this point. Primarily because our D cant stop anything and keep games close enough to scratch out wins. Even with Alex every game a nail biter.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Agreed but we need SIGNIFICANT upgrades on offense. And it’s hard to do with you’re locked in with Alex 

Problem is this D is not as good as everyone thinks. In fact, their a low tier D.

39 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Problem is this D is not as good as everyone thinks. In fact, their a low tier D.

I dunno about that. To me, the fault of the defense falls on coaching. We are way too talented to be giving 500 yard per game. Not saying the talent is great, but it should be producing better result than this. 

Archived