Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not sure I buy that. This is the same coach that had no qualms about sitting Griffin, 2x, the second time, permanently, all while we were led to believe (I honestly never did) that the owner had his back...  And they had just mortgaged their entire roster for him, and it was also Grudens first year, when he has zero clout.

I think money is always easier to chalk up as a loss rather than two first rounders, and honestly, I think  when a man's job is on the line (like Grudens and others seem to be this year), the only thing you absolutely have to make work, is a playoff season, and you ride with whoever you truly believe is best equipped to get you there.

I think things like pride and loyalty stop right at "Job Security". Doubt, even if he believed he had to make it work with Alex (if he felt Colt was better), he'd sacrifice his job as HC to do it.

Ya, but it took years for the front office to realize Griffin wasn't the answer and two different head coaches telling them that, Alex has had barely half a season. 

You are already going to see the argument that he needed more time in the system and will now have an entire offseason to do it. Saying Jay's job was on the line is a valid point, however, front office could still fire him for benching him anyway, like the Giants did McAdoo for benching Eli.  That's absolutely a risk on Jay's part to bench Alex and risk starting to lose, we weren't losing yet, in fact this was arguable Alex best game minus the interceptions. 

This game just complicated everything, even though I felt they should've benched him weeks ago.

51 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

One extreme level of suck to the other 

Colt McCoy cannot play in the league. I’ll cheer them every week tho

Also, that’s probably it for Alex here 

another complete disaster move at QB

Now the 64 dollar question is, how long does it take Allen to call up Sam Bradford?

I got 20 on Monday morning.

They need to get some form of a back-up; they can't rely on Reed or Quinn being the back-up, and we all know Allen will look to find some former flashy washed-up QB to bring in, and Bradford fits exactly what he will be looking for.

Maybe he'll surprise us, but its doubtful; it doesn't matter WHO they bring in, it will be the same ol' thing, struggling to grasp the playbook.

14 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Now the 64 dollar question is, how long does it take Allen to call up Sam Bradford?

They need to get some form of a back-up; they can't rely on Reed or Quinn being the back-up, and we all know Allen will look to find some former flashy washed-up QB to bring in, and Bradford fits exactly what he will be looking for.

Maybe he'll surprise us, but its doubtful; it doesn't matter WHO they bring in, it will be the same ol' thing, struggling to grasp the playbook.

That sounds like something he would do, just reports of QBs not named Bradford coming in, so not sure.

14 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Just internet gossip that I have heard floating around, but I have heard besides just being terrible for Arizona, Bradford was cut because his knee is shot. No cartilage left. 

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

This year is basically over and has been for a while even before Smith got hurt..The sad thing is the team has so many flaws with the roster structure that i don't see any light at the end of the tunnel..

I agree with this. The skins will finish around where they usually do. 8-8 I really think the cowgirls blow us out on Thanksgiving. They just beat the Falcons in Atlanta, and the Falcons beat the hell out of us a couple of weeks ago at home. This is a different Dallas team.

21 minutes ago, redskin12 said:

I agree with this. The skins will finish around where they usually do. 8-8 I really think the cowgirls blow us out on Thanksgiving. They just beat the Falcons in Atlanta, and the Falcons beat the hell out of us a couple of weeks ago at home. This is a different Dallas team.

No way do the Cowboys blow out the Redskins..I actually think the Redskins beat the Cowboys due to them being a heavy running team and Dak sucks..The problem for the Redskins is they have no team speed at ILB or WR. 

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

No way do the Cowboys blow out the Redskins..I actually think the Redskins beat the Cowboys due to them being a heavy running team and Dak sucks..The problem for the Redskins is they have no team speed at ILB or WR. 

We will see who's right Thursday, I hope you are but I don't see it happening.

Is the season over?  We will find out. If we make the playoffs, it will be bonus.

What's more important, the team is now at a crossroads.

We have a mediocre front office.  We have a mediocre head coach.

We now have to find that long term QB sooner than later.  With Alex, you figured you had 2-3 years but we will be looking for that QB in 2019.  

If Alex is able to return, it's probably 2 years away.  So, we need to find a young QB in free agency or draft someone.  Colt is just a stop gap, I don't think he'll be a long term answer.

Thing is, before you do that. Who is going to be making those decisions?  Bruce? Doug?  Someone else?   

Also, do we really want to have Jay head coach, to develop that new QB- if it's a draft pick?  Or even a young QB like say Bridgewater?  Do we want Jay to be the one making the choice?

I think we need to decide who's going to coaching this team in 2019 and beyond, before we do any other long term move. 

I'd rather we move on from Jay and let someone else make those decisions.

The karmic echo of Turner is in full force.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

With the right coaching, Colt could be a good to very good QB.

Too bad we don't have the right coaching.

That's likely a stretch. In the right situation, Colt could be "good enough". But, once again, he'd need the rest of the team to rise up. I think, realistically, he is a slight downgrade from Smith overall. He will likely make more mistakes and more plays, but I think the mistakes will slightly outweigh the plays.

I think the offense is going to look sharper, but I think his armstrength is a little worse than Smith. This will make him easy to defend. I do think he will attack more, but you'll get the bad with the good.

Think Colt will make this offense look half decent. 

He just needs to throw what he sees. Smith was guilty of not throwing the ball on time on the underneath stuff. Hence, why we don't have too many YAC. 

Hope CT comes back. He is typically good at blitz pickup.

Loved the decision to rest TW. Hoping he plays on Thursday. 

I think Colt can get it done. He is mobile, he throws both the short and deep ball. And he is not afraid to throw the 50/50 deep balls. 

Wishing Alex speedy recovery.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:46 PM, Renegade7 said:

The season was over after the Colts game.

The season was over after the Saints game.

The season was over when we lost 2 offensive linemen in the same game and got blown out by the Falcons at home.

The season was over before we even got to the Tampa game.

Now the season is over because we lost our starting QB who many of us wanted to bench anyway?  This is the most resilient Redskins team I've seen in a long time, no way am I counting them out yet.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

🤣

I’m with you. Love the resiliency. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:58 AM, Morneblade said:

That's likely a stretch. In the right situation, Colt could be "good enough". But, once again, he'd need the rest of the team to rise up. I think, realistically, he is a slight downgrade from Smith overall. He will likely make more mistakes and more plays, but I think the mistakes will slightly outweigh the plays.

I think the offense is going to look sharper, but I think his armstrength is a little worse than Smith. This will make him easy to defend. I do think he will attack more, but you'll get the bad with the good.

The part in bold is the exact claim of why Smith wasn't doing good.

I'm sure colt is going to make some mistakes, but he will also give receivers a chance for those 50/50 balls. One thing, we will see if Doctson is the WR we hoped he would be by battling for those throws.

McCoy will go as far as Gruden's game planning/playcalling takes him. I'm sure Gruden has already told him to protect himself first, which is a no-brainer, but Colt has the aggressiveness that Smith didn't, and that's the quality this team will need to win, especially if we get into the playoffs.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:58 AM, Morneblade said:

I suspect he will be better than Alex (if he learns to curtail his turnover gene) and especially if Thompson gets back.  IMO one thing that I'd never guess from Alex who is known for check downs is how slow the check downs happen in real time -- the throw to Peterson in the NO is the most obvious case in point.  And I put Thompson's injury in NO on Alex too -- he hesitates and the ball floats to receivers.  Colt floats his ball too but he doesn't hesitate the same way so I think he's going to help get YAC by having guys catch the ball in stride and it will be more difficult for defenders to hammer the guys catching the ball. 

Sean McVay who some worship here as a coaching god apparently told Peter Schraeger from NFL AM that he thinks the world of Colt as a player.  We've heard it to death that Jay thinks highly of Colt.  I recall even arguing with a WP reporter (Master -- forgot his last name) on twitter who claims Colt is the new and improved player and not who we've seen in the past based on what he's seen in practice.  Me being skeptical.  Not that I am sold now but I think the bar is set low.

I am not a big Colt guy, never was.  But I've been underwhelmed by Alex.   And I don't buy for a second that the coaches and players were loving his play this year just because he avoided turnovers.  Finlay among others flat have said the coaches like Alex the person but are unimpressed this year with Alex the player.  Reading some of the comments from players, you get a little sense that they think Colt is an upgrade.  My gut is he will be an upgrade too --not that I am high on him but I think the bar is set low here.

Part of the reason why I was boldened in recent weeks to debate Alex's performance is 4 different beat guys more or less suggested don't buy the PR rhetoric from Jay about Alex's play - because privately he and other coaches have been underwhelmed and disappointed.   So I think oddly Colt gives them an opportunity to showcase that Alex was the issue as opposed to the offense-weapons.

Personally I think Alex AND the weapons are both the problem.  But I did see what Cooley liked to say when he did film review, receivers were getting open frequently but Alex wasn't seeing them or throwing accurately enough.  I posted a whole bunch of those clips to showcase weeks back.

Just now, skins island connection said:

Well, the offense has been in the blah this season, so maybe a little insanity is just what the doctor ordered.

Our offense has been great for our defense. 

Just now, TheShredder said:

Psychotic Defense ... I'm in!  Let's storm the castle!

We did that wrong :ols:

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seems a lot of folks on the defense disagree.

Doesn't mean they are right. Points are always good, no doubt. But the defense might suffer some if they are operating on shorter fields and with less rest. Outside of wanting to make the playoffs/win the division, I'm pretty fascinated to see the difference over the final 6 games...

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Doesn't mean they are right. Points are always good, no doubt. But the defense might suffer some if they are operating on shorter fields and with less rest. Outside of wanting to make the playoffs/win the division, I'm pretty fascinated to see the difference over the final 6 games...

If we’re being honest with ourselves, the defense hasn’t been great overall.  What they have done is create turnovers, very timely ones at that.  I’ve been skeptical of their ability to sustain this effort for the whole season.  

That said I think they know better than all of us what to fear in a QB, and they’ve been very candid about that without specifically crapping on Alex.

Like you, I’m intrigued to see how this all plays out.  While I still think we’re pretenders overall with McCoy at the helm, it should make for a better watch.  It’s certainly possible that he’ll

try to fit throws into windows his arm won’t allow him and we end up 8-8.  It’s also possible that his grasp of the offense pays dividends and we end up 10-6 division champs.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If we’re being honest with ourselves, the defense hasn’t been great overall.  What they have done is create turnovers, very timely ones at that.  I’ve been skeptical of their ability to sustain this effort for the whole season.  

That said I think they know better than all of us what to fear in a QB, and they’ve been very candid about that without specifically crapping on Alex.

Like you, I’m intrigued to see how this all plays out.  While I still think we’re pretenders overall with McCoy at the helm, it should make for a better watch.  It’s certainly possible that he’ll

try to fit throws into windows his arm won’t allow him and we end up 8-8.  It’s also possible that his grasp of the offense pays dividends and we end up 10-6 division champs.

What to fear in a QB they're facing, sure. What they actually need in a teammate/offense, I'm not so sure. 

You said it yourself, they aren't stonewalling anyone...so it would be a safe assumption that longer fields work for them. It would also stand to reason that being out there fewer times is good. So, if the 33 yard, 5:00 drive that results in a punt and pinning the opponent at the 13 becomes a 1:10 three-and-out, it could make things tougher on the defense over the course of the final six games. 

Archived