Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

I’m behind them. 

Love this defense and the defensive line. Matt ionionidis is quietly one of the best 3-4 De’s in football with 7.5 sacks. Josh and Dj playing opportunistic football. Plenty of heart and these guys are obsessed with forcing turnovers(sometimes to a fault). 

Plenty of knee jerk reactions after both the saints and falcons game and our team followed up with solid wins. 

The Offense is miserable but we dont turn the ball over. This team is UGLY, but we win. Get hot at the right time, and we could surprise. 

I feel like “the stadium” could lump about a dozen threads together into “ultimate chicken little thread”. 

Httr

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Thats good and I’m glad for you. You also seem realistic about the team. 

I’d be excited about a 3-6 team that was having bad luck but looked good. 

I cant get excited about a 6-3 team that looks bad and looks like they’re going to get their doors blown off when they play a good team. Oh well :(

They beat the Panthers and Packers. Panthers are a 6-3 team, Packers 5-4-1. So they havent beat an 8-1 team yet......not many other teams have either. They have 3 bad losses. They also had 6 good wins. Ugly, but solid wins. If you want 3-6 with bad luck, go watch and root the buccaneers. I dont understand why you wouldnt want to root for a potential NFC East Title and playoff berth, which, while unrealistic, are still in play for the first round bye (dont take this as i expect it, because I dont, but IT CAN HAPPEN, so be excited for the opportunity. We dont get them often.)

Edit- Packers are 4-4-1....my bad. 

Some of you will never be happy until they are perfect.

when was the last time we had a better record than 7-3?...1991?...if we win this sunday, I believe, we'd have the best start to a season in 27 years...

/looking it up we've started just 7 seasons 7-3 or better (in the super bowl era) 1972(made SB), 1973(made playoffs), 1982(won SB). 1983(made SB), 1986 (NFC CH Game), 1987 (won SB) and 1991(won SB)...so outta the 7 x = 7 playoff appearances, 1 Championship Game and  5 SBs w/ 3 wins...not bad...71% chance of making the SB if we go 7-3...big game...BIG GAME!!! ; )

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Love this defense and the defensive line. Matt ionionidis is quietly one of the best 3-4 De’s in football with 7.5 sacks. Josh and Dj playing opportunistic football. Plenty of heart and these guys are obsessed with forcing turnovers(sometimes to a fault). 

I do have two points of concern lately.

Our front 7 is good, but we are having trouble latly in 2 things:

- Getting the QB down. Too many times they are escaping our grasps.

- Run D has fall off a cliff a little bit. We've been beaten badly. But that may probably be due to scheme.

All of them are correctable, one may even be by design, but that's an eye to keep on if you are the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont think @tshile is not rooting for the Redskins... i just think hes apprehensive about letting himself get too excited about the team, because he can easily see a scenario where it falls apart.  Excitement for the position were in is different than rooting interest.

Exactly. 

Our 6-3 is fraudulent. When we play teams that are good we get the doors blown off. We’re not a good team. 

We’ll likely win 10-11 games this year. The rest of the schedule is a cake walk. If we were actually good we’d be a 13,14,15 win team. 

Unless a few specific things change, I’m not going to get excited about our record because it’s bogus. Against good teams we get our asses whooped. And that’s because we’re not a good team. And point at our record doesn’t change that. 

When the playoffs roll around we will be facing good teams. There won’t be anywhere to hide. And the regular season record won’t mean anything. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont think @tshile is not rooting for the Redskins... i just think hes apprehensive about letting himself get too excited about the team, because he can easily see a scenario where it falls apart.  Excitement for the position were in is different than rooting interest.

i get it. But 31 other teams fans are going to experience their team falling apart. Only one can win it all. I am just going to enjoy being in first place for as long as possible.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A lot of people don't like to fact check when they think it might intefer with their point.  Lost count how many posts i didn't submit because i found out i was wrong first.

Yep ? backed out of a few posts myself as well after doing research first :D 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

i get it. But 31 other teams fans are going to experience their team falling apart. Only one can win it all. I am just going to enjoy being in first place for as long as possible.

I saw on twitter last night that we will be entering week 12 in 1st place in the division for the first time since 1999. That’s almost TWENTY years ? 

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

Exactly. 

Our 6-3 is fraudulent. When we play teams that are good we get the doors blown off. We’re not a good team. 

We’ll likely win 10-11 games this year. The rest of the schedule is a cake walk. If we were actually good we’d be a 13,14,15 win team. 

Unless a few specific things change, I’m not going to get excited about our record because it’s bogus. Against good teams we get our asses whooped. And that’s because we’re not a good team. And point at our record doesn’t change that. 

When the playoffs roll around we will be facing good teams. There won’t be anywhere to hide. And the regular season record won’t mean anything. 

What are these few specific things? 

18 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

This team is not built for the playoffs.

Yes, I get that we are 6-3, but we’ve pretty much limped (literally and figuratively) to that record.

We’ve already seen what happens when we face a contender like New Orleans. We get absolutely decimated.

Our QB averages about 175 yds a game and misses wide open receivers.

We have no weapons at WR. Jordan Reed is a shell of his former self.

Our o-line is banged up. Our 33 yo RB is banged up. What we are doing is not sustainable for playoff football.

We haven’t won a playoff game since 2005. Even if we end up winning the division, expect that streak to continue.

I hate to be “that” guy and a debbie downer but this is the worst 6-3 team in the league. It looks pretty and all, but go beneath the surface and this team has issues

Fair post except the part above IMO. This defense is legit. It is creating turnovers so you can never count the team out. When the defense struggles with creating turnovers against excellent QB's we are in trouble. But they could go on a run in the playoffs IF they make it there just like Baltimore, Denver and the Giants did with their dominate opportunistic defenses. You can never count out a defensive football team that can run the ball. Especially in the winter weather during the playoffs. Now going to a dome in New Orleans wouldnt be good :)

55 minutes ago, tshile said:

Exactly. 

?We aren't winning 11 games.  10 games maybe, if we sweep Dallas; though that seems unlikely.  

AS bad as Philly is this year, we aren't sweeping them.  So there's one loss there.  Going to lose both the Texans and Titans games. That's 3 losses.  So, that's 10-6. If we lose to Dallas, then it's 9-7.  Jay Gruden has never won more than 9 games. Odds aren't great this year will be it.

What will happen, the probable playoff berth will see Jay get a contract extension. Bruce will to.  Next year the team will think, it's close to contending and make moves accordingly.  Then we will fall flat on our face and miss the playoffs in 2019.

I gonna stop pretending that I think this team and franchise are a laughing stock and undeserving of any respect. 

They just won an NFL football game faced with some of the worse injury related team loses of the season for any team. They went on the road and won. They have built a solid defense mostly through solid drafting, and one that has depth.

The offensive line has multiple all pro's and the prize of the draft tore his ACL in the 1st quarter of pre-season. We have limited WR ability but the talent we have is hurt. And we still won.

I'm done with the hate. The team deserves credit and a job well done. So does the coaching staff after this week. Time to stop pretending all of you know it all and can do it better. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I do have two points of concern lately.

Our front 7 is good, but we are having trouble latly in 2 things:

- Getting the QB down. Too many times they are escaping our grasps.

- Run D has fall off a cliff a little bit. We've been beaten badly. But that may probably be due to scheme.

All of them are correctable, one may even be by design, but that's an eye to keep on if you are the coaching staff.

Agreed on getting qb down, but pressure alone is gold in a passing league. Very correctable as you stated.

Run defense is still great. Again, been some missed tackles that led to a couple gashing runs here and there. Run defense still a huge strength for us in my opinion. 

I think we are a decent team, and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to improve this season.  Many have pointed to the relative ease of our remaining schedule, but I think people are underestimating the Titans and the Jags at this point.  Perhaps people will wake up to the Titans now that they've beaten the Pats.  And now that Fournette is back with the Jags, that team will improve significantly. Like everyone else, I expect us to beat the Giants.  For the rest of the games, I think we have a 50/50 shot.  That doesn't mean that we're a bad team.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Exactly. 

So, Carolina is not a good team?

Sorry, but I find your logic flawed. An NFL team is good defined if they win 10-11 games. Great team, no...good team, yup.

Oh, and the 6-3 is not fraudulent, that is actually their record after 9 games. Dang, there’s that logic thing again.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep ? backed out of a few posts myself as well after doing research first :D 

I saw on twitter last night that we will be entering week 12 in 1st place in the division for the first time since 1999. That’s almost TWENTY years ? 

You know when this team plays with a lead they win.Lookout playoffs here come the Redskins.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We're gonna get a him game against the Vikings, book it

That would be great!

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I cant speak for him, but I think I speak for a lot of us in saying that apprehensive might not be the right word.  Unconvinced this is a winning formula and not just spinning wheels.  It’s unbelievable how many things have broken the Redskins way this year.  I heard a talking head on 106.7 this morning saying that we have to be the absolute luckiest team in football this year.  Hard to argue it.  It feels similar to say Buffalo last year, where they just randomly made the playoffs and folks were wondering how on earth it happened.

The Skins historically don’t catch good breaks like schedule, opposing team giving games away, bounces, you name it.  So I entirely understand relishing in it and living in the moment.  

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I cant speak for him, but I think I speak for a lot of us in saying that apprehensive might not be the right word.  Unconvinced this is a winning formula and not just spinning wheels.  It’s unbelievable how many things have broken the Redskins way this year.  I heard a talking head on 106.7 this morning saying that we have to be the absolute luckiest team in football this year.  Hard to argue it.  It feels similar to say Buffalo last year, where they just randomly made the playoffs and folks were wondering how on earth it happened.

The Skins historically don’t catch good breaks like schedule, opposing team giving games away, bounces, you name it.  So I entirely understand relishing in it and living in the moment.  

I get that, and i agree with you.  I dont see this formula as some sort of paradigm shift that can change the scope of the NFL.  Im not too dense to understand that we have not had a single offensive performance that i am confident would be good enough to be competitive in January... i get that.  I also know that its been a long time since weve had a TEAM good enough to win 10 games.  Its been a long time that weve been built enough to expect more.  Weve spent years backing into competitive football.  Weve spent years having to grasp at miracle runs to find our way into contention.  Weve spent years needing teams to sleep on us and being the trap team, surprising people.  Weve spent years taking a level of pride in "beating the eventual super bowl champions". 

What we havent been... is a team who is competitive, but we clearly see room for improvement... realistic improvement.  Seeing plays available that change a 16 to 3 win to a 30 to 3 win.  Realistic plays.. plays that actually CAN be made.  Were winning with the offense not clicking... instead of needing the offense to be humming and an off game by the other team.  Were winning with poor playcalling, and frustrating lack of execution.  Were winning while CLEARLY being able to be BETTER.   That is where i find curiosity in the struggles weve had.  

I dont think Gruden or Smith are the answer.  I dont think we have some realistic shot at a superbowl.  I dont think we can hang with New Orleans, L.A., or Atl.  I also know that were not that far off from that as far as pieces.  Better execution from Smith, which hes capable of... better playcalling... also reasonable.  Those 2 things click... and who knows what happens? 

Like I said... not holding my breath after watching us burn 3 2nd half timeouts because we couldnt get the right personnel on the field.  Getting 40 yards on a screen get called back and we dont see that play again.... things that kill my confidence, but are fixable. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Fair post except the part above IMO. This defense is legit. It is creating turnovers so you can never count the team out. When the defense struggles with creating turnovers against excellent QB's we are in trouble. But they could go on a run in the playoffs IF they make it there just like Baltimore, Denver and the Giants did with their dominate opportunistic defenses. You can never count out a defensive football team that can run the ball. Especially in the winter weather during the playoffs. Now going to a dome in New Orleans wouldnt be good :)

Our D gave up over 510 yards yesterday @clskinsfan - 409 in the air I think, and the remaining to the lumbering FitzTragic and their RB.   I could not believe how Fitz lumbered past our damn line and the LB's.    This D has a lot of issues but it is improved.  Most D's are in the middle of a beatdown with that many yards racked up against them without an incredible amount of breaks.  And we got an incredible amount of breaks courtesy of FitzTragic and their RB getting the ball punched out from behind by the pursuing Ryan Anderson (?). 

The shellacking we received at the hands of Bree's, Ryan and Luck, all good QB's is why we are in trouble.  I don't want to think about what the Rams will do to us or Saints will do to us again if we get into the playoffs.   

Our offense blows because Alex throws ducks, sinkers and stinkers.   And our O line looks shaky like it did last year around this time.   

We would have a chance IF we had a QB who could just make some of the needed throws.  We don't.  Some of the **** is so basic and he can't seem to do it.  And because he can't keep up with good QB's in the NFC we are not going anywhere.   And I truly believe Alex does not think he can come back if he is down two scores.  And that is a tragic mindset.   

Archived