Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

Just now, skins island connection said:

Well, we still have to play the Eagles twice, so there goes the NFC East lead. I do not have any faith whatsoever in Gruden having a game plan nor Smith and the offense to even challenge them. Next week its the Bucs, with Fitzpatrick, DJax and Evans,  then the Texans with Watson and their defense, then Philly, then in Dallas, then later the Pats. I honestly do not think this team will win another game until they play either the Jags or the Jets, which would most likely leave them looking at 8-8, MAYBE 9-7, but the division will already have been lost by then, and this team isn't sneaking in the playoffs as a wild card.

We don't play the Pats.  No, we won't be a Wild Card, but Philly is just as inconsistent and Dallas can't beat us at our own game.  Lets say we split with Philly, lose Tampa and Texans game, then win the rest as they are all teams that look like us but not better then us at it.  That's 10-6.  That last game at home against Philly will be to get into the playoffs, been saying that since before the season started.

I'm not going into the whole "we won't win so many games after a blow" thing, didn't after the Saints game, because of course if they play like that they won't win many games.  They don't play every game like that, not every team they play will have offenses like that.  I'm like others that see a quick first round exit, I just can't debate otherwise right now, NFC is too powerful.

16 minutes ago, 49erguy225 said:

Well do u think jay Gruden is better than those coaches?

I think Gruden is just as good as them as far as play design,but he just dosen't have the QB to run his offense..Look how aggressive Cousins was compared to Smith and Gruden still got  upset at Cousins for playing to safe sometimes..Does everyone forget the yards Cousins was putting up the last couple years? Yeah he threw alot of costly int's at the end of games,but he also kept this team in alot of games without a running game or decent defense.

Yeah I’m just not sure who is “pretending?” 

They are 5-3 and I’m enjoying the games and the season thus far. Do I think they can win the Super Bowl or even get there? No I don’t. But would I enjoy a playoff game regardless of the circumstances? Absolutely.

If I only cared in years where I REALLY believed they could win big, well I guess my past 25 falls would have been much more open. 

The problem is we are one of a handful of teams in the league that don't even have a pro caliber passing offfense. And I don't think it's just Alex. We can't even properly execute a screen pass. EVER! Watching other teams around the league other teams seem to consistently get these things to go 10+ yards. We just can't seem to execute them. And these plays where Mo Harris goes in motion behind the backfield are almost always disasters. It's usually just a run to AP that loses yardage. I'm tired of seeing that damn play!

QB is a MAJOR issue.  At a time in the league where offense is at a premium, I dunno what's going on.  Defense can't carry the team all year...and on days when they don't have it together, there is nothing on offense (hasn't been there all year outside of AD) to suggest that Alex Smith is the QB who can help put up points.  He's awful.  If the offense continues to sputter, would it be the worst thing in the world to give Colt some PT? 

4 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

The problem is we are one of a handful of teams in the league that don't even have a pro caliber passing offfense. And I don't think it's just Alex. We can't even properly execute a screen pass. EVER! Watching other teams around the league other teams seem to consistently get these things to go 10+ yards. We just can't seem to execute them. And these plays where Mo Harris goes in motion behind the backfield are almost always disasters. It's usually just a run to AP that loses yardage. I'm tired of seeing that damn play!

Yes, it's ugly, and I really expected it to be figured out by now. The QB is far from great, but that's something we all knew going in. The failures on 3rd down from the D.. the playcalling and lack of adjustments on O.. all just feels like coaching failure.. and by all, I mean much. How many other teams are so weak at the skill positions on O, anyway? Any thoughts on that? 

I don't know what to make of this season's team. One week they're tough as nails and relatively disciplined, and the next they're soft and penalty-ridden.

They have the best record at mid-season of Gruden's tenure, but it certainly doesn't feel like this project is headed anywhere.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

We don't play the Pats.  No, we won't be a Wild Card, but Philly is just as inconsistent and Dallas can't beat us at our own game.  Lets say we split with Philly, lose Tampa and Texans game, then win the rest as they are all teams that look like us but not better then us at it.  That's 10-6.  That last game at home against Philly will be to get into the playoffs, been saying that since before the season started.

I'm not going into the whole "we won't win so many games after a blow" thing, didn't after the Saints game, because of course if they play like that they won't win many games.  They don't play every game like that, not every team they play will have offenses like that.  I'm like others that see a quick first round exit, I just can't debate otherwise right now, NFC is too powerful.

Yea, over-looked the schedule on the Pats.

With the Eagles, they're defending SB champions. They're much more aggressive on defense, they don't have run stopping but their secondary does cause confusion for opposing QBs, but even then I doubt AP or Thompson would make much of a difference.

I haven't seen Gruden call a good game yet in the 2nd half. Part of the problem is Smith, part the lack of WR skills, but we have 2 good TEs that Smith seems to want to avoid. Davis had been making a lot of big plays as well as Reed, but for the last month or so Davis has been a ghost on the field. Gruden likes these 3 TE sets, but he's not maximizing the potential, only using them for run support.

TB, Houston, Eagles [twice], possibly Dallas and the Titans will most likely be losses, especially with the injury list skyrocketing.

52 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Chris Thompson's absence really hurts this offense, especially given Alex Smith's style of play. 

Maybe hides it more and gets us big plays with less effort.  Think we had a thread a minute ago about him being our most important player, I'm not shocked by him being out this being even harder.  I also know I'm not the only one to see Alex overlead or overthrow screen passes this year.

1 hour ago, Redd said:

I'll keep believing.  Division is still in our reach.  This team needs to improve on both sides of the ball.

Yeah there is no reason not too. The NFC east is total **** show this year, there is no reason we can not  win the division. This thread is idiotic no one on ES was claiming we were winning the Superbowl lol. Hell I'll just be happy if we make the playoffs. Gota take what you can get in the Snyder Era...

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Tell them again, I don't think they heard you.

Are you suggesting I’ve mentioned it before?

This is more of a Bruce gripe than a Jay gripe, but expecting guys who are never healthy to all be healthy is just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, Redd said:

I'll keep believing.  Division is still in our reach.  This team needs to improve on both sides of the ball.

They could win the division at 9-7 and host either GB or the Vikings and get blown out.  

That’s about the ceiling of this team with the given coaching staff.

A professional grade coaching staff could do better. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Are you suggesting I’ve mentioned it before?

This is more of a Bruce gripe than a Jay gripe, but expecting guys who are never healthy to all be healthy is just plain stupid.

You and I have been saying this for a minute now going into this season.  I got crap for it from other people when I kept bringing it up with the oline and why I hated the Christian pick because he couldn't play inside.

I'll one step further then you:  I don't think we should re-sign CT.  RB isn't like TE, so this isn't like Reed to me.  I don't expect TEs to get a much as they get older as I do running backs.  What will his value be when people start talking actual numbers?  Will it be incentive based condition of games played?  Doubtful, someone like Cleveland will overpay him with an LTD like an idiot.

@skins island connection don't sweat the Pats thing, I got your overall point, even if I disagree with it.  

I'll say this, this Bucs game is important.  We're running out of chances to prove we can handle a team that can score more then 3 tds in a game before it really starts to cost us.  Teams like Dallas, Titans, Giants, Jax, they won't score more then 21 points on this defense.  Winning those games is 9 wins.  That is predicated on us being able to run the ball still and avoid turnovers.  Tampa is different in that they can move the ball but for the most part they are a bad team.  Saints just beat the Rams, Falcons are catching fire on offense.

I really don't to move from my position that we can beat the teams that try to play our game.  I'm going to feel sick if Dallas blows us out on Thanksgiving, they don't have the talent to do it.

2 hours ago, glongest said:

14 points doesn't win games in the NFL but offense was not the issue today.  The so called dominant 5th best defense in the NFL as so many on this board like to talk about gave up 38 points and almost 500 yards in offense.  This offense with all of its starters will never score 38 points.

If we quit shooting ourselves in the foot, we won't have to score 38 points because our opponents won't, We don't have to be dynamic on offense, just stop the penalties because we can move the ball and keep other dynamic offenses from having 4 drives in a span of 7 minutes. Next week is a great week to rebound because we will beat the Texans, bank on that!

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I mean, we make the playoffs, what only every 3-4 years?  This might be one, I'll take it, want more, but I'll take it.

Im in my brotha!

2 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I never thought i'd say this but i'd like to see Colt start the next game...just to see...

This saying a lot coming from you because you're one of the most emotionally balanced posters on the board IMO.

I'm with ya.

Archived