Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Redskins VS Pink Panthers

TK

I couldn’t watch live as I was traveling.  Read posts on here during the game and from the sounds of things it was an ugly ugly win.  

After watching when I got home tonight I have to disagree with many who think we were lucky or didn’t deserve to win.  Looked like a hard fought game on both sides of the ball.  Obviously there were some miscues and mistakes and of course it would have been great if the Skins could have blown them out.  But damn most around here (including myself) picked the skins to lose.   I’ll take it.  I think it was a good win against a decent team.

Maybe the negativity I read left me with a low bar?  Not sure.   Maybe the fact I wasn’t on the edge of my seat for that last drive by the panthers made it easier to watch.   Any way I’ll take it!! good game Skins!! HTTR  

I'm not about to say we didn't "deserve" to win, but it's hard to look at this game as any sort of definitive "turnaround". So many missed opportunities today, it was just disgusting. So much field position blown. Hopkins was our MVP today, no doubt. 

After seeing what the Cowboys did to the jags, I'm really not feeling a ton of confidence going into next week. But get a win against Dallas, which would be the FIRST WIN AT HOME against that team since 2012 (!!!!!!!!!), and I'll start to feel better. Lose that one, and it's the same old yo-yo that's inevitably going nowhere. 

Good, bad,  ugly, whatever, we won the game.

I understand the negativity, but damn we won the ****ing game!  I'll take it!

Doesn't matter how, we won, but we did win. We're 3-2, in 1st place.  

Every once in a while,  we're allowed to have nice things.  Let's just enjoy the ride....

I absolutely appreciated the win - I was legitimately happy as the confluence of things (Panthers history the announcers kept mentioning, the time left on the clock, the ease with which they got their last TD and 2 pt conversion) had me anxious.  

Was also really ally happy to see the run game going against a good front 7. Overall though, the game didn’t really leave me feeling any better about the team.  

20 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm not about to say we didn't "deserve" to win, but it's hard to look at this game as any sort of definitive "turnaround". So many missed opportunities today, it was just disgusting. So much field position blown. Hopkins was our MVP today, no doubt. 

After seeing what the Cowboys did to the jags, I'm really not feeling a ton of confidence going into next week. But get a win against Dallas, which would be the FIRST WIN AT HOME against that team since 2012 (!!!!!!!!!), and I'll start to feel better. Lose that one, and it's the same old yo-yo that's inevitably going nowhere. 

well you are right that this is a statement win that is going to led any of us to think we are a Super Bowl team but these type of wins are the wins that we gotta have if we are going to be at least a "playoff" team... Lets enjoy the win and bring on the Cowboys!!

Gruden's dumbass arrogance keeping Chris Thompson in the game the previous week and repeatedly running him up the gut long after the game was a lost cause nearly cost us this game. We got nothing on offense in the middle of the field with him out, yet his injury had been completely avoidable.

15 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Gruden's dumbass arrogance keeping Chris Thompson in the game the previous week and repeatedly running him up the gut long after the game was a lost cause nearly cost us this game. We got nothing on offense in the middle of the field with him out, yet his injury had been completely avoidable.

Don't forget the two point conversion try that got his head taken off

The play calling has been the worst of Gruden’s tenure here.  Where are bootlegs and getting Smith in the move?  Why the hell have 3 receivers running routes within 10yds of each other.  I’ve been disappointed with Smith but I’m not sure if that’s a product of this awful, predictable offensive scheme.

• TK unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I read one ****ing page here after the win, and I want to puke!

The ****ing in here is abominable. The Skins beat a team many pundits thought was a SB contender. They ****ing won! I don’t care how it happened, in the NFL a win is a win. The Bills Drug the Vikings for goodness sake...you take this win and walk on.

I get it, we’re all a bit jaded from the past 19 years of Snyder, but nit picking everything in a Redskins win is not the new hipster thing.

Jay made some bad calls, Alex was meh, I get it, but the D stepped up, and AP looks youthful again. Sit back, take a sip or two, blow out a deep breath, and enjoy 1st place in the NFC East for goodness sake!

Sorry, I want a sustainable product that has a chance of being great. This team isn't great, and will never be with Jay and Smith. We're just wasting time. 

Yeah I feel the same as most here, very happy for the win but it just felt....kind of hollow.  Cam blew it at the end, he missed a wide open Olsen  and then missed the 4th down pass. He hits that and Carolina is first and goal at the 8 and nobody likes our chances.  They won because the Panthers gave them 3 turnovers. They still get little push with their inside pass rush and I don't understand that.  Matt I have been invisible.  I focused on Jon Allen and while he won a good number of his match ups he's just not making plays.  

4 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

Sorry, I want a sustainable product that has a chance of being great. This team isn't great, and will never be with Jay and Smith. We're just wasting time. 

you gotta be good before you can be great

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I feel the same as most here, very happy for the win but it just felt....kind of hollow.  Cam blew it at the end, he missed a wide open Olsen  and then missed the 4th down pass. He hits that and Carolina is first and goal at the 8 and nobody likes our chances.  They won because the Panthers gave them 3 turnovers. They still get little push with their inside pass rush and I don't understand that.  Matt I have been invisible.  I focused on Jon Allen and while he won a good number of his match ups he's just not making plays.  

Gave them?

42 minutes ago, carex said:

you gotta be good before you can be great

Gave them?

I hear what  you are saying, the Redskins forced those turnovers to some extent. But when your team turns the ball over you feel as if they gave it to the other team so why not phrase it that way from the defensive perspective?    

One thing is pretty clear: Had Cam hit that open 4th down pass the Redskins probably lose. They lose because once again Jay Gruden got outcoached at halftime.  They never score in the 2nd half and as a result the other team remains in the game. We've seen this pattern for years. 

What I don’t get is how Jay falls on the sword for getting guys open and Alex not pulling the trigger.

I’d understand it if he was calling plays where everything is always locked up and there is nowhere to go with the ball but that rarely appears to be true.

Perhaps Alex and Jay’s offense aren’t a match made in heaven, but that’s not his fault.  

44 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I hear what  you are saying, the Redskins forced those turnovers to some extent. But when your team turns the ball over you feel as if they gave it to the other team so why not phrase it that way from the defensive perspective?    

One thing is pretty clear: Had Cam hit that open 4th down pass the Redskins probably lose. They lose because once again Jay Gruden got outcoached at halftime.  They never score in the 2nd half and as a result the other team remains in the game. We've seen this pattern for years. 

The "if they did..." thing can go both ways. Had Alex hit a few more passes early, had the WRs ran better routes, had they scored a TD on the final drive it's all a moot pt. But the game is what it is. You force Cam to throw because he will make mistakes. What the D did was make sure he and Fournette did not beat them on the ground. 

The offenses has taken a step back so far this year. But the D has done a nice job. 8th in pts/gm and 8th in yds/gm and that is with the NO debacle. They had one bad game. Defense is something you can build on in this league. It may be too late for Jay. But the person coming in will inherit a pretty solid core for D. A few more pieces and they could be pretty special. 

If the offense can get untracked it may save Jay - for me I need to see 10-6 and at least one PO win. That earns Jay another season. But of course I do not make the decisions. 

Next two games are huge. They should be very winnable games. If they come out flat - as has been Jay's MO, a good game a bad game when you have a chance to make a statement - then he just needs to be gone. Beat dallast and the giants and 6-2 looks pretty good.], even with a tough rest of the season coming up. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Starting to look more and more like Allen fell in the draft for good reason. Except the idiotic Redskins brass is in love with Alabama players.  I’m not too high on Payne either tbh.  Anderson is extremely mediocre.  

16 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Starting to look more and more like Allen fell in the draft for good reason. Except the idiotic Redskins brass is in love with Alabama players.  I’m not too high on Payne either tbh.  Anderson is extremely mediocre.  

I just do not know what you're seeing to say that

Watched a replay of the game and it was the same 2018 Skins when they win, really. Big lead early, great running, solid defense, then a total disappearing act with competent defense and a couple isolated plays on offense doing just enough to keep us in front. It's not sustainable; we'll end up somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 playing like this. 

47 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Whoa there, I'm not ready to go this far. Allen played very well last year in limited time, I was expecting him to make the natural step forward this season and so far his impact has been minimal. Payne has already had an impact, I have no idea why Ioannidis has fallen off the way he has but we clearly need more push on the inside pass rush as they showed last year. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

The "if they did..." thing can go both ways. Had Alex hit a few more passes early, had the WRs ran better routes, had they scored a TD on the final drive it's all a moot pt. But the game is what it is. You force Cam to throw because he will make mistakes. What the D did was make sure he and Fournette did not beat them on the ground. 

The offenses has taken a step back so far this year. But the D has done a nice job. 8th in pts/gm and 8th in yds/gm and that is with the NO debacle. They had one bad game. Defense is something you can build on in this league. It may be too late for Jay. But the person coming in will inherit a pretty solid core for D. A few more pieces and they could be pretty special. 

If the offense can get untracked it may save Jay - for me I need to see 10-6 and at least one PO win. That earns Jay another season. But of course I do not make the decisions. 

Next two games are huge. They should be very winnable games. If they come out flat - as has been Jay's MO, a good game a bad game when you have a chance to make a statement - then he just needs to be gone. Beat dallast and the giants and 6-2 looks pretty good.], even with a tough rest of the season coming up. 

I guess we see things differently. For years I argued that yes Scott Norwood's missed field goal was the difference in that Super Bowl as it had an immediate effect on the outcome, a bad play in the 2nd quarter can be overcome and did not have the same impact. But I also understand more people see it the way you do, I just never will.  Cam hits that wide open receiver on 4th down and I believe we lose.   

10 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Don't forget the two point conversion try that got his head taken off

I hated that playcall. It looked like a double slant of sorts, with Reed running what seemed like the same pattern right behind CT.  This made the decision very easy for Mike to decide where he was going, and poor CT got his ribs rocked. I know a lot of other teams do that same thing, but those are the last players on our offense that want running at mike in a blowout for an 2 freaking points.

At least we won without CT.  Vernon Davis to the rescue.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:59 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Our team is basically the same as same as the cowboys. Same exact weakness and strengths on the field apart from TEs. Its kinda scary 

i think their defense is a little bit better than ours. But generally I agree with you.

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Alex has a much longer history of that type of stat line hence the joke.  That said, Dak will be lucky to start in this league anywhere near as long as Smith.

This statement to me to thinking - just where are both of these guys. After looking at the data I think both statements above are true (I thought that going in. Just wanted to see if the data confirmed or denied). But to add what I see as the rest of the story: 

Their career pre-game averages are almost identical. However, in fairness, Dak had an amazing 1st season where Alex was on some really bad 49er teams to start. So to get to those numbers Dak has gotten worse since the start. Alex on the other hand has gotten better. To test that you would have to compare last year for both players. That would not be fair to Dak since Alex had a career year - which is looking to be as much an outlier as Dak's first season. There is still plenty of time for Alex - but so far his production is not where it was last year. 

Anyway - here is the data. Kind of interesting.

image.thumb.png.ff143587366095298a7645bd52fd2c5d.png

Archived