Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yea, this response does not surprise me at all.

Well they do mine.  And I never really understood panic attacks until I started having them.  Has nothing to do with being man babies.  It is a legit, medical condition. 

I've told everyone here a million times I don't have kids.

This times a million.  So worried about making their vacation to wherever that they are going without consideration to others trapped in a metal tube with them.  

"Just buy earphones"  How about you buy them for the whole plane.  Or take a vacation closer to home this year.

You lack a lot of chill for a stoner.

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

You lack a lot of chill for a stoner.

I'm a stoner because of my difficulty chilling.  

Maybe I could just do a couple bong hits on the plane since I don't need to be worried about the comfort of those around me.  Maybe in first class since those curtains will stop smoke just as well as they stop the sound of a screaming baby.

JUST FLY WITH A RESPIRATOR!  WHY IS THAT SO HARD?!?!  

• Haha 1

I had to fly from Dulles to Raleigh/Durham when I was 6-7, by myself.  Weird that the gentleman next to me was very cool, I still remember that.  He wasn't creepy or anything.

I had a couple of Donny Osmond 8-tracks that I couldn't wait to play at my cousin's when I got there. 

(I have smoked both cigarettes and weed on planes, also carried a pint of Jager on occasion in the very distant past.) 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm a stoner because of my difficulty chilling.  

Maybe I could just do a couple bong hits on the plane since I don't need to be worried about the comfort of those around me.  Maybe in first class since those curtains will stop smoke just as well as they stop the sound of a screaming baby.

JUST FLY WITH A RESPIRATOR!  WHY IS THAT SO HARD?!?!  

Edibles and tinctures do the trick. 

But basically nobody should fly with children because you get triggered. That seems reasonable.

Worst part about flying with a baby is if they take a **** and you have to change them in the little ass bathrooms.  It's rough.  My wife and I basically tag teamed it the few times it has happened, but one time they wouldn't let me in the bathroom with her, even though we had the doors open because we both probably can't physically fit in there, even without a child.

28 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Edibles and tinctures do the trick. 

But basically nobody should fly with children because you get triggered. That seems reasonable.

You think I am the only person in America that is bothered by someone else's screaming mistake?  Or you think that everyone in the plane should shut up and deal with it?  Maybe there should be a vote before departure so the baby gets thrown out at lower altitude. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

You think I am the only person in America that is bothered by someone else's screaming mistake?  Or you think that everyone in the plane should shut up and deal with it?  Maybe there should be a vote before departure so the baby gets thrown out at lower altitude. 

You need therapy. 

• Haha 1

I would think there's a reasonable middle ground somewhere.  Sound of  baby crying doesn't carry very well in a plane.  Sit families closer together and have a quiet zone further away where the sound would be minimal.  Passengers who have anxiety concerns can be seated in the quiet zone.

By in large, I think people can work around it with a little understanding and accommodation.  I once switched seats with a colleague during a work travel because he was very sensitive to sound and seated next to a mother and a lap child (who was obviously not happy with the arrangement).  I usually don't sleep well on flights anyway so not that big a deal for me (it would be less of a deal now that I have the experience of being a parent).  My colleague would have been miserable though, so everyone's experience is likely gonna be different.

Based on my experiences, parents care little about their crying kids or kids kicking the seat in front of them. So I get where Buzz is coming from.

Fwiw, old people pull on the chair in front of them as well..every half hour when they get up to pee. 😆

38 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Worst part about flying with a baby is if they take a **** and you have to change them in the little ass bathrooms.  It's rough.  My wife and I basically tag teamed it the few times it has happened, but one time they wouldn't let me in the bathroom with her, even though we had the doors open because we both probably can't physically fit in there, even without a child.

I read an article that talked about how new planes will have redesigned bathrooms to accommodate more for disability access. I suspect that would help as well with changing diapers. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Sooo...in other travel stories: My next door neighbor's son & granddaughter drove cross country a couple of weeks ago from Ontario, CA. The son wanted to stay a couple of weeks to do some things around the house for his dad and the 20 year old granddaughter wanted to go home. So the son put her on a RIC-CLT-ONT flight that left RIC ~2PM (her first time flying alone). The CLT-ONT flight is delayed because of mechanical. Granddaughter waits around & they end up boarding about 10PM. Issue not fixed & there are no other flights to ONT. AA refuses to get her a hotel room because she's <21. She gets rebooked for the 1st flight the next day & spends the night in the airport. She boards the flight the next morning at 6AM - mechanical issue & they deboard. She freaks out, calls her dad & grandfather. The grandfather contacts Hilton (he has lifetime status with them) & he get's her a room The father left that morning to drive to CLT to pick her up & drive home. She refused to get on another flight. 

I guess I never thought about it but it seems if you're on a flight & there's mechanical issues the airline should get you a hotel regardless of age. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone drive 64W from Richmond to Staunton recently? Been about 30+ years so trying to figure where to stop for a quick bite off of 64. 

Zions Crossroads or Charlottesville the best option? 

Taco Bell, Checkers. Sheetz, 7-11 at Zion's Crossroads very close to 64. In C'ville - Bodo's Bagels is ~10 minutes off 64 (505 Preston Road). Great bagel sandwiches. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone drive 64W from Richmond to Staunton recently? Been about 30+ years so trying to figure where to stop for a quick bite off of 64. 

The Barbecue Exchange and Well Hung Vineyard in Gordonsville are both elite…but prolly a little too far off the highway for you.

Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie just south of Cville is also amazingly good.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

When I had babies among the absolute worst fears was uncontrollable crying on a plane. 

I mean I hate it in general - I’m the type that gets up and takes the kid outside at the restaurant. Ruins my meal but at least not everyone else’s. Can’t really do that on a plane…

but now I kinda wish I had babies again just so I can take them flying and intentionally make them cry just to make you awful people have to suffer. Just because I could. And you’re awful. 

Also… and adult screaming at a baby for crying has to be the biggest douche move ever. 

how mentally challenged do you have to be to do that 😂 

Edited by tshile

19 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Cville has a bunch of new food options that are right off 64 if you’re looking for convenience. Take a look at some of the stuff in the Wegmans shopping center. I’m a big fan of Al Carbon. 

• Thanks 1

Dramatic moment flames shoot from plane before emergency landing

Dramatic video captured the moment flames shot out of an engine on a flight in North America — leading one terrified passenger to think, “Damn, it’s gonna go down!”.

The Southwest Airlines flight from Texas was climbing out of William P. Hobby Airport in Houston en route to Cancun, Mexico on Tuesday evening, local time, when the right engine erupted in flames, local television station KHOU reported.

“All I know is it started swinging like left to right, and I thought, I’ve been on a lot of flights,” Flight 307 passenger Coale Kalisek told the outlet.

“I think I fly once or twice a month and I knew that wasn’t normal and so I opened up my window and I’m sitting next to the engine and that whole engine you see like fireballs coming out of it.”

The San Antonio man was headed to the Mexican resort with his girlfriend.

“I’m thinking damn, it’s gonna go down,” Mr Kalisek said.

36f8105386493b90584fc1eb3ec554b7

Click on the link for the full story