Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The only big issue I have with Dulles is how long it takes to get through customs when returning from an international flight, but I imagine that is probably the case at most other major cities. Need to get that Global Entry.

I totally forgot about that part but I don't recall it being bad or anything.  But yes, that adds even more time on the return.  Thankfully I've only flown 5x internationally in the past 8 years from there (3 of those being St. Thomas so no need for customs) but the last one was Roatan in 2022.  I can't recall customs being anything out of the normal though.

EDIT:

And I'm not referring to stores to go shopping, but just those "convenience stores" to get some snacks and stuff for the flight.  We've only really flown out of there real early in recent times and literally the only thing open is Dunkin Donuts and the line is too long to even get food before we'd board.

Edited by purbeast

These are the 7 ‘most offensive’ behaviors that break airplane etiquette

Just how comfortable do you make yourself on a flight?

Modern air travel can be hard enough – passengers have had to deal with a spike in ugly mid-flight incidents, additional charges for baggage and shrinking legroom.

Then there are the unspoken (and sometimes clearly spelled out) etiquette rules that some passengers ignore. A survey by online travel engine Skyscanner found that there are seven behaviors in particular that most offend passengers.

7. Asking someone to switch seats
6. Using both armrests
5. Reclining your seat
4. Taking off shoes or socks
3. Talking to strangers, being a chatty seatmate
2. Using the speakerphone
1. Personal grooming

Click on the link for the full details

• Haha 1

EasyJet flight canceled because of ‘defecation’ incident

An easyJet flight was canceled and its passengers made to disembark after someone onboard the aircraft apparently defecated on the airplane bathroom floor.

The flight on Sunday evening from the Spanish island of Tenerife to London Gatwick had already been delayed by several hours.

Aaran Gedhu, a passenger on board, told CNN Travel the flight had already run into trouble pre-departure when the scheduled plane was switched out for a smaller aircraft, meaning some customers were turned away at boarding.

Those who made it on board, two hours after the scheduled departure, then had to wait on the ground for more than an hour while bags were offloaded because of the aircraft being overweight.

As the delay extended, the atmosphere on the packed flight was characterized by “suspense and anger,” Gedhu said.

“EasyJet planes, as they are, just aren’t very comfortable – it’s just a basic seat with okayish legroom room. So everyone was just a bit tense,” he said.

“Then, the pilot finally gave the all clear, and then he said that it will be about 20 minutes until departure,” recalled Gedhu.

“And that’s when the incident happened with the defecation.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

AirAsia boss criticised for half-naked massage photo

In a post on LinkedIn, which now appears to have been deleted, the entrepreneur wrote it had been "a stressful week". 

"Got to love Indonesia and AirAsia culture that I can have a massage and do a management meeting," he wrote. 

AirAsia has been contacted for comment.

Half nudity

Spoiler

_131458207_tonyfernandes.jpg.webp

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Haha 2

there was a post on Instagram about united having Bluetooth in their planes for their entertainment but people said it was too spotty 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cygs_70R-V1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I didn't try that particular one but during my flights to and from Vegas I was able to try out some new features 

PXL_20231006_214535119.thumb.jpg.b7f83952ebb2b3d03dc76d9461c53e6f.jpg

This thingamajig can hold your tablet on the seat back. 

PXL_20231008_224810691.thumb.jpg.651cb77cd0dd41198f974afb79bab173.jpg

This satellite picked up the jets game but reception was spotty. could also connect Bluetooth. 

Edited by ixcuincle

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

One would think that connecting to an unknown Bluetooth connection would raise some IT concerns. 🤔

I have a bluetooth device I plug into the earphone jack on the plane that wirelessly connects to my earphones.

• Thumb up 1

The difference in security screening proceducres at different airports makes no sense.  Why doesn't TSA have uniform procedures across the country?  On my trip to KY last weekend, leaving from DCA we were able to keep our shoes on through security, and they didn't make me take my ipad out of my bag.  Coming back at the Louisville airport, not only did I have to remove my shoes and my ipad, but apparently bags of beef jerky were a concern and had to be removed from my bag or they would cause a problem when my bag went through the scanner.  When I chuckled as the TSA agent instructed me to remove various things, the agent said "What's so funny?"  Not wanting to end up taken of to the side and strip searched I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that what's so funny is how ridiculously stringent this security station was compared to many others.  Because god knows there are people making C4 to look like beef jerky and sneaking it into planes in Kentucky to blow up a plane.

Odd, I haven't taken my shoes  or belt off in years through TSA (but I do have TSA precheck). .

36 minutes ago, China said:

The difference in security screening proceducres at different airports makes no sense.  Why doesn't TSA have uniform procedures across the country?  On my trip to KY last weekend, leaving from DCA we were able to keep our shoes on through security, and they didn't make me take my ipad out of my bag.  Coming back at the Louisville airport, not only did I have to remove my shoes and my ipad, but apparently bags of beef jerky were a concern and had to be removed from my bag or they would cause a problem when my bag went through the scanner.  When I chuckled as the TSA agent instructed me to remove various things, the agent said "What's so funny?"  Not wanting to end up taken of to the side and strip searched I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that what's so funny is how ridiculously stringent this security station was compared to many others.  Because god knows there are people making C4 to look like beef jerky and sneaking it into planes in Kentucky to blow up a plane.

If I had to guess they either had some recent findings or where doing scheduled extra measures on purpose at that location. 

I think the lack of uniformity of equipment also plays in to different requirements at locations. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

46 minutes ago, China said:

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Odd, I haven't taken my shoes  or belt off in years through TSA (but I do have TSA precheck). .

If I had to guess they either had some recent findings or where doing scheduled extra measures on purpose at that location. 

I think the lack of uniformity of equipment also plays in to different requirements at locations. 

There is also a lack of uniformity on TSA officer experience.  If the officer is in training or gemerally inexperienced theyll frequently ask for food etc to be removed since the new guy doesn't deal with analyzing bag clutter as well.

1 hour ago, China said:

Did you go through TSA pre in DCA and normal security in Lousville?

That's what it sounds like.

2 hours ago, China said:

Well in the military, we routinely change that kind of stuff because you DON’T want a pattern.  That's how people figure out ways around it.  But the effect less realized is it helps fight complacency among inspectors.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Did you go through TSA pre in DCA and normal security in Lousville?

That's what it sounds like.

Normal security in both.  And the stringency in Louisville is their standard practice, not a step up for a recent issue.  I know this because my wife goes through their regularly and warned me in advance that they would pull out any food items from my bag.

And the shoe thing I've found varies by airport.  I recall not having to remove them in Boston, but have at other airports so it is really inconsistent.  I didn't have to this time at DCA, but do usually have to at Dulles, for example.  I like Buzz's theory about changing patterns, but I don't think I'd give them that much credit, and as I said they've been doing it that way in Louisville for a while.

Edited by China

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Have to think it has to do with the different security equipment being used then. 

Edit..there is also this.

https://www.flylouisville.com/tsa-raising-aviation-security-baseline-with-stronger-domestic-security-measures/

I don't think the equipment was any different.  But interesting that the increased the security baseline in Louisville, but not everywhere else.  I think it probably comes down to who is in charge of the TSA group at each airport and how they enforce the policies.  I'm just surprised it's not more uniform across the country.

• 2 weeks later...

A former Delta copilot is accused of threatening to shoot the captain 'multiple times' if he diverted the plane due to a passenger's medical emergency

A first officer threatened to shoot the captain of a commercial flight if he diverted the plane due to a passenger's medical emergency, the Department of Transportation Office of Inspector General said.

Jonathan Dunn was indicted by a Utah Grand Jury on October 18 with one count of interference with a flight crew, according to a court document seen by Insider.

A Delta Air Lines spokesperson confirmed to CBS News that Dunn was working for the carrier as a first officer at the time of the incident, but is no longer a Delta employee. The DOT-OIG did not specify the airline or the flight.

The indictment accuses Dunn of assaulting and intimidating an airline's crew member with a dangerous weapon on August 22, 2022.

According to the inspector general, Dunn had "a disagreement" with the captain over "a potential flight diversion due to a passenger medical event."

Dunn then told the captain "they would be shot multiple times" if they diverted the flight, the inspector general said.

The announcement added that the copilot had a weapon because he was authorized to carry a firearm through the Transportation Security Administration's Federal Flight Deck Officer program.

That program was created in response to the September 11 attacks, and allows airline pilots to undergo special training to receive TSA authorization to be armed in the ****pit in domestic flights, to defend against crimes like a hijacking.

The TSA told CBS News that Dunn has been removed from the FFDO program.

Click on the link for the full article