Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I've flown Alaska a lot and have always found their planes to be newer and cleaner than most. This sounds like a problem with the model (Boeing 737 max has had recurring problems I think) more than the airline. 

The max had flight control issues. This is a structure issue. (I was a Chief Aviation Structural Mechanic) if anyone comes across more/better pictures, I can tell you a lot from them.

I haven't heard of any other issues that make me think it is a model issue. This is most likely a maintenance issue on one of two levels. What would be called "Organizational" and "Depot" level in the military. 

*This is pure speculation based on one picture and my experience.*

O level: whoever is contracted to do their maintenance is gonna be found to be just ****. Records will be found to have been signed off as done, etc that weren't actually done. Workers being lazy on their inspections. The FAA will find this out in, if it's the case, in a few days. You'll see a bunch of short term groundings until some quick but thorough inspections are done. This can be done very quickly while also be quality inspections. But what you find on those inspections while drive how long those birds are down.

OR I think more specific which means less probable but I can see happen:

There was some structural work done in the past at the Depot level. That is more structural work, replacing sheet metal and rivets. Some worker grabbed the wrong rivets. When you mate two metals together like that that don't match, corrosion happens at an accelerated rate weakening the area. That's what caused that specific location to fail.

Again some better pictures would tell me a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

The max had flight control issues. This is a structure issue. (I was a Chief Aviation Structural Mechanic) if anyone comes across more/better pictures, I can tell you a lot from them.

I haven't heard of any other issues that make me think it is a model issue. This is most likely a maintenance issue on one of two levels. What would be called "Organizational" and "Depot" level in the military. 

O level: whoever is contracted to do their maintenance is gonna be found to be just ****. Records will be found to have been signed off as done, etc that weren't actually done. Workers being lazy on their inspections. The FAA will find this out in, if it's the case, in a few days. You'll see a bunch of short term groundings until some quick but thorough inspections are done. This can be done very quickly while also be quality inspections. But what you find on those inspections while drive how long those birds are down.

There was some structural work done in the past at the Depot level. That is more structural work, replacing sheet metal and rivets. Some worker grabbed the wrong rivets. When you mate two metals together like that that don't match, corrosion happens at an accelerated rate weakening the area. That's what caused that specific location to fail.

image.jpeg.c88917809cea1fa8433f4ba1ab466deb.jpeg

https://avherald.com/h?article=51354f78&opt=6144

I just hope it doesn’t affect my flight home tomorrow.  My brother-in-law who works for Boeing advised me to check on my travel plans because they are moving a lot of planes around because of this issue and it’s causing a problem all around the country.

Very unexpectedly I got to spend the holidays in FL with my sister and I have to tell you, y'all had me freaked right the **** out worrying about what to expect. I hadn't flown anywhere in 30(?) yrs and all I had to go on were everyone's horror stories.

Couldn't have gone easier, had zero complaints, maybe I was just lucky but I'll take it. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A passenger boarded a Boeing 777, then opened a door and fell out of the plane

An Air Canada passenger opened an aircraft door and fell about 20 feet to the ground, Global News first reported.

An airline representative told Business Insider the incident involved a Boeing 777 at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

The spokesperson said the passenger "boarded the aircraft normally" but then opened a cabin door instead of going to their seat.

The representative added that the person sustained injuries from the fall and emergency services were called.

Data from Flightradar24, a flight-tracking site, shows Monday's flight from Toronto to Dubai took off almost six hours late. It was scheduled to have 319 passengers on board.

An airline representative said: "We can confirm all of our approved boarding and cabin operating procedures were followed; we continue to review the incident."

It's the second time in less than a week that a passenger's unusual behavior has delayed one of the airline's flights.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Spirit Airlines passenger arrested for asking flight attendants to join ‘mile high club’

The FBI is investigating a Spirit Airlines passenger who allegedly asked flight attendants to join the “mile high club” earlier this week, the Department of Justice announced Friday.

James Warren Finnister, 47, is facing criminal charges for interfering with flight crew members, sexually harassing and assaulting flight attendants, and engaging in other disruptive behavior while onboard Flight 693 from Louisville, Kentucky, to Orlando International Airport.

Court records state the Detroit native first asked the lead flight attendant if she wanted to join the “mile-high club,” before pulling a second crew member into his seat and asking her the same question.

The passenger is also accused of lying on the floor of the plane after being moved to a new seat, and requesting entry into the airplane ****pit.

Finnister later told FBI officials he had consumed “multiple alcoholic shots to calm his nerves prior to the flight, which he stated was his first,” according to the criminal complaint.

If convicted on the charges, which violate federal criminal law, Finnister will face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Agreed.  100%

I work with an represent aircraft mechanics & inspectors and I agree with the scenario that you've described.  The FAA will have a field day with this....

• Like 1

When did they start with the three characteristics of economy class? Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Economy refundable category.  Goodness gracious!  I found some excellent airfare (which I thought it was) for my trip to Peru. That was when I learned it was only basic economy and will. Charge an extra $150 + for the main cabin so I can select my seat and have free checked bags.  I paid about $570 for my airfare, which was still a good price.  Ironically, I paid more for my trip to Victoria, British Columbia, last year.  

Passenger trapped in airplane bathroom for entire flight gets note from attendant: ‘Sir, we tried our best’

Thought sitting in the middle seat was rough? A SpiceJet passenger had the crappiest flying experience ever after getting trapped in the lavatory for nearly the entire flight.

“A passenger unfortunately got stuck inside the lavatory for about an hour,” the budget airline said in a statement addressing the involuntary downgrade.

The unnamed flyer reportedly went to use the lavatory shortly after takeoff on a one-hour-and-45-minute night flight from Mumbai to Bengaluru Tuesday, Indian Express reported.

However, when he tried to leave after doing his business, the door wouldn’t open due to a lock malfunction, effectively trapping the passenger inside the bathroom, per the statement.

The crew and other passengers desperately attempted to free the flyer from outhouse arrest, but to no avail. As a result, he was relegated to the great honey bucket in the sky for nearly the entire flight.

In an attempt to calm the passenger during his inflight en-crap-ment, crewmembers slid a note under the door a la FBI negotiators trying to reassure a hostage.

1747486579134693472-exactly-happened-one

Click on the link for the full story

• Haha 1

‘You are barrelling about the skies at 500 miles an hour.’ Why flight attendants want you to stop ignoring them

When a Japan Airlines airplane collided with a coast guard aircraft at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport earlier this month, the JAL A350 aircraft was swiftly engulfed in flames and terrifying images of the runway fire spread across social media.

Former Japan Airlines flight attendant and cabin safety officer Mizuki Urano saw the photos of the airplane inferno and “assumed the worst,” expecting “a very big disaster.”

But while five people on the Japan Coast Guard Dash 8 plane were killed in the crash, to Urano’s – and the world’s – surprise, all 379 people on board the JAL aircraft survived.

A phrase was soon being thrown around, both in the media and online: “It’s a miracle.” This thought initially crossed Urano’s mind, but then the former flight attendant reflected and changed her perspective.

“I know the Japan Airlines cabin crew members’ training manuals and training contents, and their concepts for safety and their passion for safety,” Urano tells CNN Travel. “I thought, ‘Oh, this was not a miracle. It’s the natural results of their efforts.’ ”

Across the globe in London, British flight attendant Kris Major watched the JAL collision, and its aftermath, play out. On his next shift with the European carrier he works for, Major and his fellow flight attendant talked about the crash. They were unanimous in their praise for the JAL crew and how they’d seemingly expertly executed their training.

“We were just so proud of how they represented what we do – and demonstrated what we do to a global audience,” Major tells CNN Travel.

It’s easy to view flight attendants as simply there to serve you food and drink, but safety is their primary purpose.

The JAL crash was a “visually dramatic” reminder of what can go wrong in the aviation world, says Major, but also a reminder that “when it does go wrong like that, you can still survive, if you do the right thing.”

Cabin crew hope the JAL runway collision – as well as a recent incident in which part of an Alaska Airlines’ Boeing 737 fuselage blew off mid-flight and passengers were successfully evacuated – will spark a wider conversation about crew and passenger relations and airline safety briefings, as well as increase understanding about the realities of working at 30,000 feet.

Flight attendants are trained to handle everything from disruptive passengers and potential human trafficking incidents to unexpected aircraft evacuations.

“There aren’t many industries where you go to work in the morning, and spend 15 minutes talking about how on earth you’ll save everybody’s lives and your own,” as Major puts it.

While airplane accidents are rare, flight crews prepare extensively for emergencies.

• Like 1