Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

NEW YORK TIMES WRITER COMPLAINS ABOUT AIRPORT FOOD PRICES IN ONE OF THE MOST DETACHED-FROM-REALITY TWEETS EVER SHARED

David Brooks is a columnist for the New York Times and a former reporter for The Wall Street Journal. One would assume that with that sort of résume he has visited an airport and ordered food before, but apparently, the 62-year-old had his first airport dining experience just this week.

Mr. Brooks was flying out of Newark Airport on Wednesday and decided to grab a late-night dinner. He ordered a burger and fries, always one of the safer bets at any airport, but was shocked to find out that his bill was $78.

Brooks was so upset by the tab that he decided to share a photo of his meal on X, formerly known as Twitter. His sharing of the photo proves that he is royally pissed off, because Brooks has shared just two photos to his X account since May 2022.

The photo reveals two things: Brooks is not a fan of vegetables but is a fan of hefty pours of scotch.

You have to love how he refers to this as a meal, as if drinking doubles (maybe a triple) of scotch with your burger and fries is typical.

The burger and fries could not have been more than $30 leaving the large scotch costing somewhere around $40, which is honestly cheaper than what I expected it to be given a single beer at Newark typically runs around $15.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:49 PM, China said:

Couple demand refund after Singapore Airlines flight ruined by farting dog

It was a ruff flight.

A New Zealand couple is demanding a refund after they spent a 13-hour flight stuck next to a slobbering, farting and whiny dog.

Gill and Warren Press said their Singapore Airlines flight from Paris — which they forked out extra for premium economy seats — was ruined by the noisy and gassy emotional service pooch.

“I heard this noise – a heavy snorting,” Gill told New Zealand outlet Stuff, adding that she originally thought it was emitting from her husband’s phone before realizing it was a dog’s labored breathing.

“I said, ‘I’m not having this sitting next to us the whole trip.’”

The couple said they overheard the owner telling another passenger that the stocky pup eased her anxiety, however, they insisted that the dog appeared to be distressed and struggling with the affliction on his own.

When they raised concerns with a flight attendant, the annoyed travelers said the hostess offered that they move their seats to the only available ones left — in the back row of economy.

The Presses decided it was not worth giving up the luxury seats that they splurged on for the long-haul trip to their layover in Singapore.

But their patience reached breaking point halfway through the 13-hour journey — when a certain smell could no longer be ignored.

The canine had begun farting as it inched closer into their personal space, the couple said.

Our flight was ruined by a farting dog — we got a $1,400 refund

Their 13-hour flight may have gone to the dogs — but this complaining couple just scored a big payday.

Gill and Warren Press say they’ve received a $1,410 refund from Singapore Airlines after their plane ride from Paris to Singapore was ruined by a farting canine.

In an interview with Insider on Friday, Gill said she and her husband finally received the funds after months of back and forth with the airline.

“That’s the least they could do,” the miffed traveler declared. “If they wanted to be really nice, they could’ve given us way more.”

And in local news...

Man blames wife after TSA finds loaded gun packed in carry-on bag at Reagan National Airport

A Virginia man blamed his wife after Transportation Security Administration officers discovered a loaded gun in his carry-on bag as he passed through a checkpoint at Reagan National Airport.

The King George resident was carrying a .22 caliber pistol that was loaded with five bullets on Thursday, Sept. 21. The X-ray unit alerted TSA officers. Police confiscated the gun and cited the man on state charges.

Officials say the man blamed his wife and told them that she packed his carry-on bag and he did not know that the loaded gun was inside.

The man faces a maximum $15,000 fine.

"It is disappointing to continue to see travelers carrying their loaded guns to our security checkpoints," said John Busch, TSA’s Federal Security Director for the airport, said in a statement.

doing some research on carry on for my trip next week and this... 

"Personal items must fit under the seat in front of you. Common items include backpacks, laptop bags, and purses. These bags can be no larger than 9 x 10 x 17 inches (22 x 25 x 43 cm)."

Most backpacks are over 9x10x17. What kind of bull**** is this.

I don't even think my drawstring bags qualify. how am I supposed to carry all my tech gear.

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Unless you are flying Spirit or one of the **** airlines, they aren't going to be measuring any "normal" backpack.  I always have a fully packed normal sized backpack with an extra laptop slot and a roll on carry on and I've never once had any issues.

when I inflated my bag it went down to 10, I was measuring it flat 

as long as it fits under the seat in front of me there really isn't an issue and of they raise a fuss I'll stash it on my check-in and carry my stuff in a plastic bag 😂

At the end of the day Spirit did cost less than United, but they also stopped flying out of IAD so I just decided to go locally because I live right next to the airport.

So many of these "people being inconvenienced at the airport" issues are NBD. just get a pair of noise cancelling earphones. They will change your life. I go to sports games all the time with them in my ear. I had them in my ear nearly all flight, especially when they work in airplane mode. 

Also love how everyone tries to cram the line to get overhead space, I just carry a backpack with me and put it under the seat.

Biggest gripe is these airports are so big now that it can take several minutes to get to your terminal. At Dulles you have to take the tram or the shuttle to get to your gate most of the time. In Vegas they have 2 terminals for checkin, so if you have terminal 3 you have to ride another parking shuttle from 1 to get to a whole different building.

• Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm shocked..I tell you..shocked that people jockey for free overhead space when airlines started charging prices for 1 checked in baggage. 🙄

The entire a la carte pricing system of the airline industry needs to be eliminated.  

As much as people **** on Southwest for their pick-your-own-seat process, at least they allow 2 checked in bags with the ticket prices.  The only thing they charge you for extra are alcoholic drinks.  They don't do an of that "upgrade for more legroom" bull**** either.  

They are by far my favorite airline to fly, at least with our kids which is usually how we travel, since the family boarding makes it so I don't even have to check in.

EDIT:

Oh and taking advantage of their credit cards for the past 15 or so years to probably save $50k on flights also has a lot to do with it lol.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

was listening to a podcast and they started complaining about United

Delta and American have reliable wifi and United have bad wifi they said

I also noticed during my flight back from Vegas the TV was too intermittent. Most of the time it wasn't working but when it was, boy you could watch sports on a plane. I was watching Game 2 of the Orioles ALDS and then the Jets game on CBS.

The flight from DC to Denver (layover) had a cool contraption on the back of the seat, you could just attach a tablet to it so screw TV I'm just watching my tablet shows all flight lol

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Never got the Dulles hate. Maybe because I've flown out of there so often so I'm comfortable with it but I think its great.

Long term parking is absolute garbage.  You have to wait at a god damn bus stop for the zig zagging bus to finally come to your stop.

Then you to inside and go down the escalator where the security line can literally back up to the escalator which is dangerous as ****.

Then you go through security and have to take a ****ing metro car to your terminal.

Then you go inside some old ass terminal that is packed and narrow as hell, and the stores are never open when you get there early to get food unless you want to wait in a 100 person line at dunkin donuts.

Getting home is even worse because you have to all of that **** again, except you ALSO have to get your bags off the carousel making it take even longer, and then you have to wait again for the bus to come to take you to long term parking in the stupid ass zig zag pattern till it gets to your stop.

It just takes way too god damn long.

At BWI I arrive at the gate, walk to baggage claim, walk right outside to the bus waiting for me, and it takes me directly to my car.   And I don't have to worry about getting on 495 and sitting in traffic at any time of the day on my drive home.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Long term parking is absolute garbage.  You have to wait at a god damn bus stop for the zig zagging bus to finally come to your stop.

Then you to inside and go down the escalator where the security line can literally back up to the escalator which is dangerous as ****.

Then you go through security and have to take a ****ing metro car to your terminal.

Then you go inside some old ass terminal that is packed and narrow as hell, and the stores are never open when you get there early to get food unless you want to wait in a 100 person line at dunkin donuts.

Getting home is even worse because you have to all of that **** again, except you ALSO have to get your bags off the carousel making it take even longer, and then you have to wait again for the bus to come to take you to long term parking in the stupid ass zig zag pattern till it gets to your stop.

It just takes way too god damn long.

At BWI I arrive at the gate, walk to baggage claim, walk right outside to the bus waiting for me, and it takes me directly to my car.   And I don't have to worry about getting on 495 and sitting in traffic at any time of the day on my drive home.

That's fair.

Parking doesn't affect me since I just metro there(metro is right across the street from where I live)or catch an Uber(its cheap due to again how close I live to it).

I've never had an issue of security line going all the way up to the escalator.

Most big airports require you to take some kind of transport to your terminal.

I can't really tell if the terminal is old or not. Stores are generally open when I go, and I never shop in airports anyway(I have Priority Pass and Cap One Venture X, so hooray for lounges for free food/drinks).

Never had an issue with taking a long time at the carousel. At least, no longer than any other major airport.

The only big issue I have with Dulles is how long it takes to get through customs when returning from an international flight, but I imagine that is probably the case at most other major cities. Need to get that Global Entry.