Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

On 6/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, Corcaigh said:

“Double-decker” airline seats being proposed again.

maybe it’s just me but the changes in cabin pressure cause me to fart quite a bit as my body adjusts to the differential. Wouldn’t want to be on the lower tier.

IMG_4408.jpeg

Can we just get 5th element sleeper chambers?

8e6287bc564b54b2cc8ae1340ed2abe2--the-fi

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wow. No cartoon landing gear involved (for anyone who remembers Amazing Stories).. 

I do remember that..  a lot of hype, and the show didn't last long. If i remember right, Steven Spielberg had something to do with that segment?

First off - is there a general "Travel" thread? 

I booked 2 (non-refundable) roundtrip tickets on AA a couple of months ago. Checking prices as our dates get nearer (July 25) the price for these tix have come down by 1/3. I think these are my options:

1. Cancel original & rebook - AA credit* amount of the original tix 

2. Try to change the existing tickets to the lower price - Will AA give me credit* for the difference?

*Credit - This can be used to book another ticket within 1 year. If the new ticket is less than the original do I get credit for the difference? If so, I'm assuming the difference must be used within 1 year. 

Airline passenger finds plane floor soaked in blood

Pondering on the cleanliness of airplanes is not something most of us like to think about when flying.

But while you might think your neighbor using a sick bag is as bad as things can get, one man was confronted by bodily fluids of a different kind when he found his feet on an airplane carpet still wet with a previous passenger’s blood and diarrhea.

Habib Battah was flying from Paris to Toronto on Air France on June 30 when he noticed a strange smell coming from the footwell under his and his wife’s seats shortly after takeoff.

“It smelled like manure,” he told CNN.

The pair were traveling on the Boeing 777 with their two cats – each in a separate carrier, in the footwell in front of the couple. They were moving temporarily from Lebanon to the US, where Battah, a Beirut-based journalist, will spend a stint as a university lecturer.

“It was our first time traveling with the cats, and I was thinking, ‘Oh god, they’ve had an accident, I’m so embarrassed.’

“Then I thought, maybe it’s someone’s body odor. I was sniffing and sniffing, then said, let me get the cats out.”

He crouched on the floor to check on the animals on his hands and knees. “I looked at the cats – the poor cats were totally fine,” he says.

But what he did notice beneath the cat carriers was a wet stain on the floor – about 20 inches long and wide, he says. He flagged down a passing flight attendant.

“I said it smells like merde – s**t. She handed me wet wipes. I started wiping and it was red – blood red. And it kept coming up red. I was like, ‘What the hell is this?’ I just wanted to see what it was. After a while, one of the flight attendants said, ‘You’d better go wash your hands, and here are some gloves.’”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

easyJet pilot forces 19 passengers to get off Liverpool flight

An easyJet flight to Liverpool forced 19 people off the plane because it was "too heavy to take off".

The easyJet flight, from Lanzarote's Arrecife Airport to John Lennon Airport, was delayed because of the plane's weight and adverse weather conditions. The flight was due to take off at 9.45pm yesterday, Wednesday, July 5, but did not leave the Spanish airport until nearly 11.30pm.

A video sent to the ECHO by a passenger showed one of the flight crew announcing their concerns regarding the take-off. The pilot said: "Thank for for getting here today. Because there are so many of you it's a pretty heavy aircraft.

"That heavy aircraft combined with a pretty short runway and with the current unfavourable conditions here in Lanzarote, means the aircraft is too heavy to take off. I've been sat with my senior first officer and we're very experienced with this and have done this before.

"With safety as our number one priority, there is no way, with the current wind conditions, that we could get this aircraft airborne. There are a number of factors - it's very hot, the wind isn't fantastic, the direction isn't great.

"Now, you might be wondering what happens next and that's what I've come in here to say. I have spoken with our operations team and the one way to solve a problem with a heavy aircraft is to make it slightly lighter.

"If possible, I would like to ask up to 20 volunteers to choose not to fly to Liverpool tonight. 

1 hour ago, China said:

"If possible, I would like to ask up to 20 volunteers to choose not to fly to Liverpool tonight.

Well at least they didn't start with "You,  you, ... aaaand you.  You're too fat.  Get off my plane."

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Haha 3

On 7/1/2023 at 10:51 AM, EmirOfShmo said:

First off - is there a general "Travel" thread? 

I booked 2 (non-refundable) roundtrip tickets on AA a couple of months ago. Checking prices as our dates get nearer (July 25) the price for these tix have come down by 1/3. I think these are my options:

1. Cancel original & rebook - AA credit* amount of the original tix 

2. Try to change the existing tickets to the lower price - Will AA give me credit* for the difference?

*Credit - This can be used to book another ticket within 1 year. If the new ticket is less than the original do I get credit for the difference? If so, I'm assuming the difference must be used within 1 year. 

There SHOULD be a general travel thread. 

3 hours ago, China said:

easyJet pilot forces 19 passengers to get off Liverpool flight

An easyJet flight to Liverpool forced 19 people off the plane because it was "too heavy to take off".

The easyJet flight, from Lanzarote's Arrecife Airport to John Lennon Airport, was delayed because of the plane's weight and adverse weather conditions. The flight was due to take off at 9.45pm yesterday, Wednesday, July 5, but did not leave the Spanish airport until nearly 11.30pm.

A video sent to the ECHO by a passenger showed one of the flight crew announcing their concerns regarding the take-off. The pilot said: "Thank for for getting here today. Because there are so many of you it's a pretty heavy aircraft.

"That heavy aircraft combined with a pretty short runway and with the current unfavourable conditions here in Lanzarote, means the aircraft is too heavy to take off. I've been sat with my senior first officer and we're very experienced with this and have done this before.

"With safety as our number one priority, there is no way, with the current wind conditions, that we could get this aircraft airborne. There are a number of factors - it's very hot, the wind isn't fantastic, the direction isn't great.

"Now, you might be wondering what happens next and that's what I've come in here to say. I have spoken with our operations team and the one way to solve a problem with a heavy aircraft is to make it slightly lighter.

I'd volunteer. I'm not trying to find out if enough people got off the plane to make it off that runway.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Southwest Airlines Plane Hits Light Pole At Jacksonville International Airport

On Wednesday, July 5, a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 made contact with an off-pavement light pole during taxi at Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) in Florida. Southwest Flight 5122 originated from Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) and landed safely at JAX before the incident occurred.

The aircraft was carrying 172 passengers and six crew members at the time of the incident. None of the occupants onboard the aircraft were hurt. Passengers were later rerouted to their destinations.

3 Miami TSA officers accused of stealing from airport passengers during screenings

Three Transportation Security Administration officers at Miami International Aiport were arrested after authorities said they were caught on camera stealing from passengers during security screenings.

Josue Gonzalez, 20, Elizabeth Fuster, 22, and Labarrius Williams, 33, were arrested Thursday at MIA on charges of organized scheme to defraud, Miami-Dade jail records showed.

According to arrest reports, authorities started investigating thefts that had occurred at the airport's Security Checkpoint E.

Detectives discovered surveillance video showed the three officers distracting passengers as they were being screened so they could steal money from their belongings, the reports said.

In one case, video provided by TSA showed Williams and Gonzalez removing $600 from a passenger's wallet as the passenger was being screened, the reports said.

The three were observed in several similar incidents stealing from passengers, the reports said.

Delta flight canceled when heat-related illnesses hit passengers headed from Las Vegas to Atlanta

Delta Air Lines canceled a flight from Las Vegas to Atlanta on Monday after extreme heat led to illnesses among passengers.

The number of passengers who were sick was not disclosed in a statement from the airline. Reports that the passengers were in the cabin on the ground for four hours could not be confirmed.

“We apologize for the experience our customers had on Flight 555 from Las Vegas to Atlanta on July 17, which ultimately resulted in a flight cancelation. Delta teams are looking into the circumstances that led to uncomfortable temperatures inside the cabin and we appreciate the efforts of our people and first responders at Harry Reid International.”

The apology to customers came along with a “compensatory gesture,” the airline said.

The official high temperature in Las Vegas on Monday was 108 degrees — 8 degrees lower than on Saturday, when the temperature was just a degree below the all-time record of 117.

Delta said passengers on Flight 555 were moved to other flights.

At least one customer sought treatment for heat-related discomfort, according to the airline.