Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

Man arrested after allegedly trying to open emergency door on plane and stabbing flight attendant

A Massachusetts man was arrested for allegedly attempting to stab a flight attendant in the neck with a broken metal spoon three times during a flight from Los Angeles to Boston on Monday, after attempting to open an emergency exit door, according to the Justice Department.

Francisco Severo Torres, 33, faces one charge of interference and attempted interference with flight crew members and attendants using a dangerous weapon. Torres was arrested at Boston Logan International Airport Monday and will remain detained pending a hearing set for Thursday.

During a United Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Boston, the flight crew saw an alarm that a door in the plane had been disarmed and, after inspection, a flight attendant saw the door’s locking handle had been pushed out of the fully locked position and an emergency slide arming lever had been disarmed, according to the Justice Department.

A flight attendant who saw Torres near the door went to talk to Torres about the door, according to the department, who asked if there were cameras showing he had tampered with the door.

“According to court documents, the flight attendant then notified the captain that they believed Torres posed a threat to the aircraft and that the captain needed to land the aircraft as soon as possible,” the Justice Department said.

Soon after, Torres allegedly got out of his seat, mouthing something, before thrusting “towards one of the flight attendants in a stabbing motion with a broken metal spoon, hitting the flight attendant on the neck area three times,” the department said.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

'The captain became incapacitated': Off-duty pilot steps in to help Southwest pilot mid-flight

An off-duty pilot stepped in to help fly a Southwest Airlines flight en route for Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday after the pilot experienced a medical emergency.

The incident took place not long after Flight 6013 took off from Las Vegas, Southwest Airlines told USA TODAY on Thursday. One of the pilots “needed medical attention,” the airline said.

“A credentialed pilot from another airline, who was on board, entered the Flight Deck and assisted with radio communication while our Southwest Pilot flew the aircraft,” said airline spokesperson Chris Perry. “We greatly appreciate their support and assistance.”

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Peanut butter is a liquid, TSA says

The Transportation Security Administration has some people wondering if the agency is nuts after it declared once and for all that peanut butter is a liquid — and it's not allowed through security. 

While the TSA website has long warned travelers that peanut butter needs to be under the 3.4 fluid ounce limit for liquids in carry-on bags, a podcaster stirred up conversation about the topic when he tweeted about his experience having to surrender his jar of Jif at airport security.

"I tried to take peanut butter through airport security," Patrick Neve tweeted. "TSA: Sorry, no liquids, gels, or aerosols. Me: I want you to tell me which of those things you think peanut butter is."

The TSA has weighed in with a definitive answer: It's a liquid. For security purposes, at least.

In a cheeky follow-up post on social media, the TSA shared its definition of a liquid, which "has no definite shape and takes a shape dictated by its container." According to the TSA, that does apply to peanut butter. 

Well I guess that means no more cats on planes...

1mqzvuohrcy02b83_1637654569.jpeg

• Haha 4

This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home

We’ve had people tracking their bags when airlines can’t find them. Now here’s something new: a passenger tracking an item she left on a plane – to an airport employee’s home.

Earlier in March, Alisabeth Hayden, from Washington state in the US, was separated from her AirPods – Apple’s pricey micro headphones – while disembarking from a plane in San Francisco. She swiftly realized that they appeared to have been stolen.

But after nearly two weeks, she had them back – thanks to her tenacious tracking abilities.

Hayden was flying back from a trip to Tokyo to visit her husband, who is on secondment in the military, when she was parted from the earphones.

Disembarking from the plane at San Francisco International Airport – and a little disoriented after a nine-hour flight from Tokyo – she left her denim jacket on her seat, at the back of the plane.

“I realized before I was even off the plane,” she says. “I was the third from last off the plane, so I asked the flight attendant if I could go and get it. He said no – I was required by federal law to get off the plane and stand beside it, where the strollers are brought to. I was tired, he said he’d bring it to me, I said OK.”

He did indeed bring it to her – and she boarded her next flight to Seattle. “A child was screaming next to me and I thought, ‘At least I have my AirPods,’” she remembers. She reached for her jacket – she’d left the two breast pockets buttoned up, one with her earphones, one with some Japanese Yen inside it.

“The pockets were open, and my AirPods were gone,” she says.

The plane had already taken off to Seattle, but Hayden used inflight Wi-Fi to track the earphones using the “Find My” app, which tracks Apple devices. The AirPods were showing at SFO.

Then she realized they were moving.

“I’m a diligent person, and I tracked the whole way from San Francisco to Seattle, taking screenshots the entire time. I live an hour from Seattle, and once I got home, I was still taking screenshots,” she says.

The AirPods by now were showing up at a place on the map called “United Cargo” – still within the airport, but the cargo side of the airline, so not where a passenger would be likely to be.

Then they moved to Terminal 2. Then to Terminal 3. Then they were on Highway 101, heading south towards San Mateo. They ended up at what appeared to be a residential address in the Bay Area, and stayed put there for three days.

Of course, everyone’s gadgets are precious, but Hayden’s AirPods hold particular significance – they’re her link to her husband, who calls her from his deployment on such a bad line that she needs them to hear him.

From the minute she realized they were gone, Hayden was trying to get them back. She messaged United and SFO from the plane, then tried the police in San Francisco, Hayward (where the tracker was showing), and SFO’s own airport police.

She worked out the email format for United employee emails, and “blasted” every single executive she could find, across the globe. “I hit every avenue I could find, and used every possible form of communication, and got the same response: ‘I’m sorry that happened to you,’” she says.

Delta passenger detained at LAX after opening exit door, activating emergency slide minutes before takeoff

A Delta Airlines passenger on a flight from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Saturday was arrested for allegedly opening an emergency exit door aboard the plane and causing the plane’s emergency slide to be activated prior to takeoff. 

According to Los Angeles Airport Police, at approximately 10 a.m. EST., an unidentified passenger, wearing a striped red and navy blue sweater with black pants, rushed to the front of the plane while the plane was pushing away from the gate and asked the flight attendant, “what do I do now?”

Passengers told FOX 11 that the flight attendant insisted that the man sit down, but he ran from the Delta Air Lines flight attendant and went to the plane’s emergency exit doors, turned the latch, opened the door, and slid down the deployed emergency slide. 

The plane was forced to stop, and passengers told FOX 11 that the man jumped onto the back of a baggage cart, where luggage workers held him down until LAX Police got there.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, China said:

This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home

We’ve had people tracking their bags when airlines can’t find them. Now here’s something new: a passenger tracking an item she left on a plane – to an airport employee’s home.

Earlier in March, Alisabeth Hayden, from Washington state in the US, was separated from her AirPods – Apple’s pricey micro headphones – while disembarking from a plane in San Francisco. She swiftly realized that they appeared to have been stolen.

But after nearly two weeks, she had them back – thanks to her tenacious tracking abilities.

Hayden was flying back from a trip to Tokyo to visit her husband, who is on secondment in the military, when she was parted from the earphones.

Disembarking from the plane at San Francisco International Airport – and a little disoriented after a nine-hour flight from Tokyo – she left her denim jacket on her seat, at the back of the plane.

“I realized before I was even off the plane,” she says. “I was the third from last off the plane, so I asked the flight attendant if I could go and get it. He said no – I was required by federal law to get off the plane and stand beside it, where the strollers are brought to. I was tired, he said he’d bring it to me, I said OK.”

He did indeed bring it to her – and she boarded her next flight to Seattle. “A child was screaming next to me and I thought, ‘At least I have my AirPods,’” she remembers. She reached for her jacket – she’d left the two breast pockets buttoned up, one with her earphones, one with some Japanese Yen inside it.

“The pockets were open, and my AirPods were gone,” she says.

The plane had already taken off to Seattle, but Hayden used inflight Wi-Fi to track the earphones using the “Find My” app, which tracks Apple devices. The AirPods were showing at SFO.

Then she realized they were moving.

“I’m a diligent person, and I tracked the whole way from San Francisco to Seattle, taking screenshots the entire time. I live an hour from Seattle, and once I got home, I was still taking screenshots,” she says.

The AirPods by now were showing up at a place on the map called “United Cargo” – still within the airport, but the cargo side of the airline, so not where a passenger would be likely to be.

Then they moved to Terminal 2. Then to Terminal 3. Then they were on Highway 101, heading south towards San Mateo. They ended up at what appeared to be a residential address in the Bay Area, and stayed put there for three days.

Of course, everyone’s gadgets are precious, but Hayden’s AirPods hold particular significance – they’re her link to her husband, who calls her from his deployment on such a bad line that she needs them to hear him.

From the minute she realized they were gone, Hayden was trying to get them back. She messaged United and SFO from the plane, then tried the police in San Francisco, Hayward (where the tracker was showing), and SFO’s own airport police.

She worked out the email format for United employee emails, and “blasted” every single executive she could find, across the globe. “I hit every avenue I could find, and used every possible form of communication, and got the same response: ‘I’m sorry that happened to you,’” she says.

I got really lucky last year when I flew to Grand Cayman via Southwest.

The night we arrived, hours after we landed, I looked in my backpack and realized my Switch wasn't in there and that I had left it on the plane.

The next day I went to the airport at like 8am and SW was closed so they told me to come back around 11am when they opened.

When I get to the front of the line and tell them I left a Switch on the plane last night, 2 employees NEXT to the guy I am talking to is like "oh yeah we found it, we will go get it."

Like 5 minutes later a guy comes back with it behind his back and is like "what color is it" and I answered and he says "what games are with it" and I quickly name like 3 out of the 6 in there and he is like "okay okay (laughs a bit) I am sure this is yours" and hands it to me.

I was SSSSSSOOOOOO thankful that they found it and hung onto it for me.  Getting off a flight with a 2 year old and a 7 year old can be stressful and I just hadn't put it in my backpack before I left.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

American Airlines passenger urinates on another on flight from JFK to India: reports

An American Airlines passenger was taken into custody after a flight from JFK to New Delhi - and that wasn't the only unruly passenger on a plane from a New York City-area airport on Sunday.

Local media reports indicate there was an argument on board between two passengers on American Airlines Flight 292 that ended with one passenger urinating on another.

This type of incident has happened several times in recent years on flights to India, ABC News reports.

Click on thel ink for the full article

Anyone fly in or out of the Richmond Airport lately? Flying in to it in late August from Oakland (via Chicago) and wondering how easy it's to get in and out of. 

Have a 3hr drive afterwards to southern WV so I'm guessing the car rental facilities are offsite since it's a smaller airport, right?

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone fly in or out of the Richmond Airport lately? Flying in to it in late August from Oakland (via Chicago) and wondering how easy it's to get in and out of. 

Have a 3hr drive afterwards to southern WV so I'm guessing the car rental facilities are offsite since it's a smaller airport, right?

Richmond, VA?  Use it all the time.  Most laid-back, easy to use decent sized airport that I’m aware of.  Fairly sure Enterprise operates a sizable facility adjacent to the airport and there is a shuttle.

1 minute ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Richmond, VA?  Use it all the time.  Most laid-back, easy to use decent sized airport that I’m aware of.  Fairly sure Enterprise operates a sizable facility adjacent to the airport and there is a shuttle.

Thanks! Southwest was a lot cheaper going in to Richmond vs DC or Pittsburgh.  It's weird that I grew up 90 miles from the Richmond Airport but never flew out or in to it. 

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Thanks! Southwest was a lot cheaper going in to Richmond vs DC or Pittsburgh.  It's weird that I grew up 90 miles from the Richmond Airport but never flew out or in to it. 

About 15 years ago, they put some money into it and beefed up the runways for big boy jets…among other things.  Massive upgrades and that attracted a lot of carriers that until then had no use for it.

Hell, we’ve got daily directs to Vegas, San Fran and LA going out these days.  Don’t think anybody could’ve predicted that.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

BWI is a Southwest hub, did you try that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

BWI is a Southwest hub, did you try that?

Yep. All 3 DC area airports. Tbh it saves an hr of drive to fly into Richmond, it's just not a direct flight. But I don't think SWA was direct either into BWI/IAD/DCA (Alaska was from Oakland).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yep. All 3 DC area airports. Tbh it saves an hr of drive to fly into Richmond, it's just not a direct flight. But I don't think SWA was direct either into BWI/IAD/DCA (Alaska was from Oakland).

Lately I have noticed that flyng anywhere other than SFO, LAX, Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, Dulles, JFK, Dulles and Detroit there is going to be a connection.

LAX to Portland and we had to fly through Denver.... maybe there were some direct flights but I would rather save the $600 (it adds up if flying more than 1 person).  We did return through SFO into Burbank which was so nice.

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Lately I have noticed that flyng anywhere other than SFO, LAX, Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, Dulles, JFK, Dulles and Detroit there is going to be a connection.

LAX to Portland and we had to fly through Denver.... maybe there were some direct flights but I would rather save the $600 (it adds up if flying more than 1 person).  We did return through SFO into Burbank which was so nice.

Yeah it's insane. I actually have to fly from Oakland to Long Beach (no plane change in the LBC) to Chicago Midway (75 min layover) and then to Richmond. Coming back it's Richmond to Denver (3hr layover) then Oakland. But the round trip was only $260 with free checked bags. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

A Delta plane made an emergency descent after leaky bathrooms jammed its controls and shut down the autopilot

Water leaking from the bathrooms of a Delta Air Lines plane knocked out its autopilot system and left pilots with limited control of the aircraft, an official investigation into the 2022 incident found.

No one was injured on the flight from Prague, Czech Republic, to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport on July 7, 2022. But the crew had to declare an emergency and descend to a lower altitude, the National Transportation Safety Board said.

In a report published last week, investigators said that wastewater leaking from the bathrooms that then froze was likely to blame.

Crew members discovered during the flight that there was flooding from bathrooms on the plane, the NTSB said.

The toilet was leaking in one bathroom, and the filter under the sink was leaking in another, the NTSB said. Crew members restricted bathroom use and tried to clean up as much water from the floor as they could, it said.

But the crew then found that the plane's autopilot systems had disconnected, and they were not able to reconnect them, the NTSB said.

Pilots also experienced issues with the plane's roll control, which meant the plane was gradually drifting to the right.

They were unable to fix the drift, the NTSB said.

After talking with dispatch and maintenance control, the pilots were given permission to descend to 9,000 feet, where the ice could melt back into water.

The flight ultimately landed at JFK, after pilots were able to operate the control wheel again at 12,000 feet.

233 people were onboard the Boeing 767-300.

The NTSB said the incident was likely due to human error, with workers not closing the drain mast heater circuit breakers during maintenance before the flight.

The water likely flowed to the plane's controls in the main landing gear wheel well, where it froze, they said.

Man Finds Out the Hard Way That There Are Limits to Southwest's 'Sit Wherever You Want' Policy

There aren’t many airline policies more controversial than Southwest’s approach to boarding. Instead of having an assigned seat, passengers line up in the order that they checked in and then race to grab the aisle and window seats before they’re all taken. The people who like it really like it, and the people who don’t hate it so much that many refuse to ever fly Southwest. As it turns out, though, there actually are limits to the “sit wherever you want” policy. 

View From the Wing reports that Benét Wilson boarded a Southwest flight this week and grabbed one of the coveted aisle seats. Since she’s a frequent flyer, she has Southwest’s Rapid Rewards A-List status that allows her to board earlier than other passengers, so getting an aisle seat was essentially guaranteed. Everything continued like normal until a man wanted the window seat.

Like a normal person, Wilson reportedly got up to let him by so he didn’t have to climb over her to get to his seat. Another passenger apparently saw that as his big opportunity, and grabbed the aisle seat before she could sit back down. You might believe this was some sort of accident or misunderstanding, but no. He also had the audacity to move her bag, so he very clearly knew what he was doing. 

Just to be clear here, the person who took her seat wasn’t the window seat guy. This was an entirely different person who thought he could snipe an aisle seat on what he thought was a technicality and get away with it. When Window Seat Guy told the asshole that she was already sitting in that seat, his response was reportedly just, “Tough luck.”

The good news is, when Window Seat Guy called over a flight attendant, she didn’t buy his “but that lady moved” excuse and kicked him out after threatening to call the pilot. You know, because that is not normal behavior. At all. He’s lucky he didn’t get kicked off the flight because as far as we’re concerned, he deserved it.