Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Motivates You? and What's Your Why?

AsburySkinsFan

I've been thinking a lot about these things lately, and this sounds like it's two ways of asking the same question but it's not.

Question 1:

What motivates you? What gets you pumped? What have you seen or heard that gets you moving, for this I'm thinking much more third party, video, song, lecture series, sermon, quotes. Please feel free to share those if they are videos, songs etc.

Question 2:

What is your why? 

Why do you do what you do? When the **** is flying at you and you endure what is your reason, your anchor, your internal motivation?

I don't care what it is, no judgments will be cast on you. Your motivations are your's and your's alone and that's fine. No one gets to judge anyone else's motivations either.

Here's a video that hit me today....

I remember seeing this a while back and really liking it.  Very motivational to me.  I love the music in it too and the videos of him pumping iron in his prime are pretty badass.

I also follow Body Spartan on FB and the main dude Gabe Tuft has a bunch of cool videos.  Here's one of them that I found very interesting.

He posts a lot of videos as well of him pumping iron and they are just edited very well and get me pumped up.

There's also some very odd music that I like that pumps me up, and the genre is known as Chill Step.  I dunno why but it gets me fired up and for some reason it makes me feel very inspired and it is like 'motivational' music to me.  The main artist in this genre I like is Mitis.  I'm sure most people will hate it.  

As for my "why", I've always just been a very motivated person.  I hate failure in general and hate losing at things, so I try to set goals for me.  I think that is why I really enjoy lifting weights.  I know how to gain mass and lose weight when need be, and I find it really fun to see my body change, and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication.  But as I've gotten older and had nagging injuries, it's a lot harder to do what I used to do.  I'm hoping my shoulder gets to 100% because I want to get back to like 215-220lbs over this winter.

My "why" I'd say is also because I always want to travel.  My wife and I made it a priority before we were married to travel.  When we had a kid we didn't use it as an excuse to not travel either.  My son is 3 and has been to more countries than all of my immediate family combined.  We typically ALWAYS have a trip that we are looking forward to and is booked, which means we usually have 2 trips planned out so when we get back from one, we have another one to look forward to.  Last year we went to Aruba, the Keys, Grand Cayman, back to the Keys, and back to Aruba.  This year we've gone to The Bahamas, Savannah GA, the Keys, and I just got back from Grand Cayman.  Now that I am going to get SCUBA certified, I'm going to be trying to plan even more trips even if it's for long weekends, just to do dives.

And I  won't go into the obvious "why" of providing for my family either.  But part of my "why" is to not work too much so I can have a great work life balance.  I will never work at a job where I have to work more than 40 hours a week, unless it was my own business.

I focus more on principle than motivation, because the places I take myself grind down motivation and hype. I've had to learn how to act, with no energy and only pain and resistance in my face. 

The goldilocks zone of humanity is my why. For me, that's the place where the strongest and most stable of foundations meets with the greatest amount of positive potential at the highest degree of probability. If heaven ever is supposed to exist in a realistic and dynamic way, that is where it will be, whether we're talking internally or externally, physically or spiritually.

Nothing less makes sense, and anything that runs counter to that zone is an imbalance to change, calibrate, and re-harmonize.

Really anything less is weakness and stupidity if I settle for it. And I refuse to hollow myself for less. **** a shortcut.

17 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

How do you define your success?

That can change on a day-by-day basis.  Some days, it’s providing a home and food for my family.  Other days, it’s owning my own business or holding political office.

In a general sense, most days I feel successful but still driven to become a better person.

I apologize to the ladies but honestly food and sex. Day after day with my wife she might nag me, or want me to do something not fun, or complain about something one of our five children has or is doing, or wants me to police them to get off the electronics and get them to bed when the truth is I work 10 hours a day and don't want to deal with any of it when I get home.

See my wife doesn't work and I make decent money so she doesn't have to but when I get home the last thing I really want to do is make decisions or be the bad guy for her to the kids. I really want to sit down and be lazy and watch her do everything. But that never happens. Because my wife who imo is the sexiest woman alive knows how to communicate with me just the right way. I wanna be fed and well you know and all she does is remind me that she controls both of those things so it's best that I fall right into line with whatever she wants. Happy wife, happy life for me. Sorry everyone but that's just who I am

My why is my family. Everything I do I do for them. 

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I've been thinking a lot about these things lately, and this sounds like it's two ways of asking the same question but it's not.

Question 1:

What motivates you? What gets you pumped? What have you seen or heard that gets you moving, for this I'm thinking much more third party, video, song, lecture series, sermon, quotes. Please feel free to share those if they are videos, songs etc.

This is an excellent idea for a thought-provoking thread, so good job @AsburySkinsFan

For this question, it is going to sound ridiculous, but an article that I once read on Cracked.com has really stuck with me.  It's sort of about motivation, but really its about putting in the effort to be the best person you can be, in the sense that being good means doing goodBeing good is for lazy ****ers concerned about themselves.  Doing good takes a lot more effort, but actually ****ing matters.  

It is called 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person.  

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Question 2:

What is your why? 

Why do you do what you do? When the **** is flying at you and you endure what is your reason, your anchor, your internal motivation?

I don't care what it is, no judgments will be cast on you. Your motivations are your's and your's alone and that's fine. No one gets to judge anyone else's motivations either.

Family is the big one.  I grew up middle middle class.  I want my kid and potential future kids to have all of the advantages that so many of my law firm colleagues had (e.g., top schools, not having to work a **** job as teenagers, and the opportunities that come from money and connections).  I want my wife to be able to do the thing she wants to do most, which is being a mom, rather than having to have a demanding job (she works full time, but she has a pretty easy 9 to 5).  

The other thing is that I've just always had this deep seated competitiveness that drives me to want to prove that I can do things better than the next person.  Probably younger brother syndrome, but it's worked out pretty well.  

6 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

One thing I learned at one of my jobs was Do the Right Thing. It's stayed with me all of these years since 1984. And that's what I endeavor to do.

Yeah. I felt proud this year. A couple coworkers asked me to commit fraud and I stood tall.

This is a clip that I find particularly motivational, especially when I'm feeling things are getting too difficult or unfair.  There can always be an excuse to give up, but the accomplishments that I am most proud of in my life are the same things that I had really questioned if they were too hard to continue working towards.

Basically summed up in a quote by Lao Tzu that used to be part of my sig... "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."

I have a lot of internal reasons to accept mediocrity, and I feel that it is a cop  out to act like I can't do something because a slip of paper says I probably can't do it as well as someone else, for whatever reason. People have it worse than me, and there is a standard of excellence that has been set in my family, in terms of work ethic and resourcefullness, and I refuse to be the one to betray that and be a black sheep.

Throughout the first 20 years of my life, I think my biggest motivation was to avoid failure and embarrassment.  I didn't try to excel at anything, or try new things, because that was the easiest way to avoid failing or feeling stupid.  That started to change when I went to college.  I got really interested in psychology, and learned that I would have to go to graduate school if I wanted to work independently as a psychologist.  I didn't do well in high school at all (no effort).  Then in college, I found out that I could only earn B's in one or two of my classes over the last three years, if I was going to have a chance at getting into PhD programs.  After that, I would have to be in the top 5 to 10% of GRE scores (competing against others with great college GPAs that wanted to go to grad school).  Then, I would have to compete with those remaining applicants to interview for the slots available... and I was a fairly shy person who was terrified of interviews.  

Something clicked inside, and I decided to go for it.  I worked harder than I thought was possible, and as I started to have success, it really motivated me to work for more.  I was still fearing failure through the whole process, but the harder I worked, the more realistic it seemed.   

Archived