Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Wastes of Talent, Sports or Otherwise

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

But he played like a championship talent every Sunday, regardless of it being with the Lions.  Just because he didn't win a ring or choose a team in free agency that might give him the opportunity to compete for one doesn't mean he wasted his talent.  He only squandered his opportunity to possibly win a ring.  There are plenty of Hall of Famers that never won a championship, even first ballot ones.

Not to mention that the Lions made it to the NFC Championship in 1991, mid-way through his first contract, to get blown out by our beloved Redskins.  Perhaps as PB mentioned, he liked the city, his teammates, coaches, etc. and resigned because he truly believed at the time that they might be able to get over the hump and get a shot at a Super Bowl.  

All that to say that he blew it. Again, if you’re not chasing championships then you’re just playing. And like I already said not winning a ring isn’tvwhat makes it wasted talent, its the fact thag he stayed in a cesspool and wasted his championship ability on a second rate team. If he stayed for personsl reasons as you suggest then all the more evidence that he wasted his ability. 

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

All that to say that he blew it. Again, if you’re not chasing championships then you’re just playing. And like I already said not winning a ring isn’tvwhat makes it wasted talent, its the fact thag he stayed in a cesspool and wasted his championship ability on a second rate team. If he stayed for personsl reasons as you suggest then all the more evidence that he wasted his ability. 

He played on a team that made it to the NFC Championship game in his 3rd year, they were the #2 seed behind the Redskins and had won 12 games that year.  Barry Sanders did not win all 12 of those games by himself.  Sure, he was their best player, but it's a team sport.  They crushed Dallas in the divisional round and it was because of their defense and Kramer tossing for over 300 yards and 3 TDs, Barry finished with only 69 yards rushing and 1 TD that game.  

And Dallas was a good team that year, they went 11-5.  We were just the best in the league that year and crushed Detroit.  Point being, playing on a team that wins 12 games and advances to the championship game isn't a ****ty team.  It was his 3rd year in the league and they had great success coming up one game short of making the Super Bowl.  I'm sure two years later he probably was thinking, I can win in Detroit and be a playoff contender and possibly make it to a Super Bowl.  Thus resigning, because of that one great season the team had and just falling short.  

Perhaps he was mislead by the FO, thinking they would bring in more help on the lines, more weapons, etc. and they just failed miserably.  Him making the decision to resign after his initial 5 year contract was over does not equate in him wasting his talent.  He made it to the 2nd largest stage with that franchise during his initial contract.  Why not believe that it was possible to achieve that goal again or better?  

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't side with Asbury on Sanders.  You can't blame him for his team sucking despite the fact he was amazing and you can't blame him for staying loyal to them.  Football is the ultimate team sport and loyalty is commendable.

Loyalty to a company is over-rated, especially when that company shows you no loyalty and no ability to serve your interests.

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Loyalty to a company is over-rated, especially when that company shows you no loyalty and no ability to serve your interests.

You are acting like the Lions were the Browns during Sanders' career, which is not true.  They had a 12 win season, two 10 win seasons and  made the playoffs in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1999.  The Redskins haven't had a 12 win season since 1991.  The Lions didn't fall apart until they gave Matt Millen the keys in 2001.

The late, great Tony Gwynn. Just look at his statistics:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gwynnto01.shtml

He hit below .300 once - just once - in his 20 season career. It was his rookie season in '82 where he only played in 54 games and still hit .289. And for what? Two pennants and a bunch of losing seasons. I mean, he hit .500 (with a 1.217 OPS) in the '98 World Series against one of the greatest Yankees teams of all time. 

Gwynn deserved so much better than what he got.

48 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You are acting like the Lions were the Browns during Sanders' career, which is not true.  They had a 12 win season, two 10 win seasons and  made the playoffs in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1999.  The Redskins haven't had a 12 win season since 1986.  The Lions didn't fall apart until they gave Matt Millen the keys in 2001.

Since 1991, we won 14 games that year.  And beat that horrible, ****ty, 12 win Lion's team in the NFC Championship game that year.  

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Since 1991, we won 14 games that year.  And beat that horrible, ****ty, 12 win Lion's team in the NFC Championship game that year.  

My mistake.  Only 27 years. :)

51 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Unless something drastically changes, Trent Williams every current Redskin's career is basically going to be a waste of nothingness on a mediocore/poor team.

9 hours ago, FrFan said:

Jamarcus Russell, Vick, John Daly

That's a really good list.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

We beat the Micky rat cheese out of the Lions in that game.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who mentioned Vick.

I don't understand the hype around Lamar Jackson being touted as the next Vick.

From an arm strength, elusiveness, and pure foot-speed perspective, I don't think Jackson quite measures up. Close, but no cigar.

Vick could've been the GOAT. His immaturity in his early years was his downfall. He ended up having a solid career anyway, and is still considered a "legend" to many who watched him play, and to the future generations based on his ever-so-dominating presence on Madden video games.

Still waiting for that QB with 4.2 speed and Peyton Manning's head.

Clifford Brown - another jazz great who died too young. Brown's story is especially cruel because he lived clean and played well - serving as an example to his peers to do the same. But it was a car crash on the PA Turnpike that did him in at 25. He had so much more to offer but what we got was stunning.

Archived