Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Wastes of Talent, Sports or Otherwise

Spaceman Spiff

10 minutes ago, clietas said:

That's still what at least 4 maybe 4 and a half albums? Plus a number of great tours. Some of which lasted years. That's not really a waste IMO. Did you ever expect them to tour like The Dead or Phish?

Haha, alright, even if you include the Use Your Illusion tour which ended in summer 1993 and the Spaghetti Incident album that came out in late 1993, that's still 15 years of not producing anything until 2008.  

I didn't expect them to tour like the The Dead or Phish.  But he kept the band name to himself, allowed it to fall apart and drove others away.  He performed here and there but nothing consistent.  You don't gotta tour like The Dead or Phish, but you could tour like Metallica.  

So you're telling me that you were ok with waiting 15 years for another GNR album that didn't have Slash, Izzy and Duff?  And that we're approaching 11 years of no new GNR music?  That's not wasting talent?

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Although word is that they're going to put out a new album.

The special anniversary version of Appetite is worth a listen. But yeah, he pissed away a lot years taking early retirement & he may or may not have eaten Izzy Stradlin.

1 minute ago, China said:

OK, I'm going with Harper Lee.  Wrote To Kill A Mockingbird in 1960 and doesn't publish another book until 2015.  

That's a good call.  You could also go with JD Salinger.

Just now, TK said:

The special anniversary version of Appetite is worth a listen. But yeah, he pissed away a lot years taking early retirement & he may or may not have eaten Izzy Stradlin.

It is good.  That new/old song they released is on constant rotation in my car.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So you're telling me that you were ok with waiting 15 years for another GNR album that didn't have Slash, Izzy and Duff?  And that we're approaching 11 years of no new GNR music?  

Not ok at all. That's certainly disappointing. Izzy still played with Axl at some of those Chinese Democracy shows BTW.

Thing is it happens all the time in the music industry. Most bands were/are lucky to fulfill their first deals. Usually it was like a five album deal back then. Then it'd be splitsville.

Leann Rimes. I know, she still has been successful in her pop country career but her initial sound was more Patsy Cline and she will never top her success at 13 with Blue.

For acting, it has to be Mickey Rourke with Shia LaBeouf and/or Haley Joel Osment a close 2nd although I think Haley Joel is making a comeback. River Phoenix/Heath Ledger would obviously be my choice if we weren't limited to people being alive.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who said anything about a one hit wonder?  Axl's prime lasted from 1987 to 1992 or 1993.  As good as he was, there's no reason he couldn't have lasted as long as someone like Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler.  He didn't have a drug habit, he didn't have drinking issues...he was just simply a jerk and he drove his bandmates away, kept the GNR trademark and didn't release anything until 2008 (which wasn't even GNR, it was Axl and a bunch of randoms) and hasn't released anything since.  He's now 56 years old and hasn't been relevant for about 25 years which is a crying shame for someone so talented.  

That is a waste of talent, no doubt about it.  

Axl sounds great, the band sounds great and the latest tour grossed FOURHUNDREDANDEIGHTYMILLIONDOLLARS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

Plus, he’s going into the studio with Angus Young.

Quit clowning yourself, Spiff.

Wasted talent?  Layne Staley comes to mind.

A sports one that comes to mind is Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon.  Absent his problem with alcohol he could have been one of the top two or three wideouts in the NFL. As it is, he now says he’s clean and is attempting a comeback. I hope it works out for him.

As for musical wastes of talent, I think of all the artists in the 27 Club who self destructed.

Wasted political talent: Spitzer, Edwards (never thought much of him actually) and Weiner just so they could get laid. 

Wasted sports talent: Tiger Woods (I'm half kidding). Yes, I know that he is the second greatest golfer of all time, but he has only himself to blame for not passing Jack. Ricky Williams and Josh Gordon are great picks here. Manziel, though I don't know if he would've actually succeeded in the NFL if straight laced. Rick Ankiel the pitcher. Maria Sharapova.

Manziel never had an NFL body.  He wasn't that good and he was never going to be a good NFL QB.  He played on some stacked A&M offenses in a conference that has long been offensively challenged.

Also, are you all ****ing kidding me with all of this Guns N Roses talk?  lol.

10 hours ago, Dan T. said:

A sports one that comes to mind is Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon.  Absent his problem with alcohol he could have been one of the top two or three wideouts in the NFL. As it is, he now says he’s clean and is attempting a comeback. I hope it works out for him.

As for musical wastes of talent, I think of all the artists in the 27 Club who self destructed.

10 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ricky Williams.   I think he would have been a HoF had he been able to lay off the ganja.

As soon as I read the OP, these two came to mind.  Then I got angry that it went until page 2 for them to be mentioned.

13 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Issac Newton. Spent a lot of time doing random ****. 

He wasn't the same once he got hit on the head by that fruit.

Didn't have the same concussion awareness and treatment back then.

10 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Axl sounds great, the band sounds great and the latest tour grossed FOURHUNDREDANDEIGHTYMILLIONDOLLARS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

Plus, he’s going into the studio with Angus Young.

Quit clowning yourself, Spiff.

Wasted talent?  Layne Staley comes to mind.

Peep the rules of the thread, hombre ;) Layne Staley is dead.

Yep, he sounds great, excited about what he can do for AC/DC no doubt about it.  Only took a ****load of time for him to get it together.  What, you were happy Axl didn't do anything from '93-'08 and again from '08 till '17?  Again, if that's not pissing away talent, I'm not sure what is.

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Peep the rules of the thread, hombre ;) Layne Staley is dead.

Yep, he sounds great, excited about what he can do for AC/DC no doubt about it.  Only took a ****load of time for him to get it together.  What, you were happy Axl didn't do anything from '93-'08 and again from '08 till '17?  Again, if that's not pissing away talent, I'm not sure what is.

Staley squandered his talent well in advance of his actual passing.

Axl is one of many musical artists who withdrew from the spotlight for a significant time in their prime.  For most, it’s a matter of personal survival.  That’s a tough business.

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

Wasted political talent: Spitzer, Edwards (never thought much of him actually) and Weiner just so they could get laid. 

Wasted sports talent: Tiger Woods (I'm half kidding). Yes, I know that he is the second greatest golfer of all time, but he has only himself to blame for not passing Jack. Ricky Williams and Josh Gordon are great picks here. Manziel, though I don't know if he would've actually succeeded in the NFL if straight laced. Rick Ankiel the pitcher. Maria Sharapova.

I wouldnt put Sharapova on that list. She had the great misfortune of being born at the wrong time. She plays in an era with one of the greatest sports figures of all time, who takes a special joy in dominating their matchups. 

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Derrick Coleman for basketball. If we include injury derailment then Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Derrick Rose hollowed out the star power of the Durant generation of players.

Nick Young is a huge waste of talent too.

They got injured, not a waste.

Derrick Coleman could have been the best power forward of all time.

I don’t think Nick Young was a huge talent.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don’t think Nick Young was a huge talent. 

He doesn't seem like it, but that guy is an amazing athlete.  He set a combine record for no step vertical leap and he has a ridiculous wingspan and hand size.  Wet jumper and turnaround fade too.  He had the tools to be a much better player than he ended up being.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He doesn't seem like it, but that guy is an amazing athlete.  He set a combine record for no step vertical leap and he has a ridiculous wingspan and hand size.  Wet jumper and turnaround fade too.  He had the tools to be a much better player than he ended up being.

IDK, he is not a huge talent.

He probably belonged in the 80s NBA versus todays. 

Archived