Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Wastes of Talent, Sports or Otherwise

Spaceman Spiff

Corey Feldman

Was great in Goonies, Stand By Me and The Lost Boys. 

Then apparently he thought (and still thinks) he could be a pop music star.  

For some reason I thought he had quit acting, which isn't true, he has been taking roles.   But his filmography is pretty much trainwreck since 1990. 

Not sure these guys qualify sorry if wrong but to me some the names that came to mind 

Comedy - lots of guys burnt out instead of fading away - Chris Farley, John Belushi, Sam Kenison - who if they didn't OD had the ceilings of Gods

TV Actors - Bill Cosby - Yes he had a run but after everything came out I can't even recommend his comedy albums which are great to anyone without feeling dirty

Wrestlers - Chris Benoit at one time was the best wrestler on the planet, now thinking about him is cringy and dirty. Ultimate Warrior - He was in 1989 beating the immortal Hulk Hogan headlining Wrestlemania 6 and the next year holding up Vince McMahon for a payday and getting fired and never reclaimed his talent level again before his death. Eddie Guerrero, the Von Erics, Eddie Gilbert, Owen Hart to name just a few taken from us too soon

Sports - CM Punk - On top of the wrestling world turns to MMA and got his ass kicked multiple times ruining his career in both rings, John Daly was powerful but demon alcohol undid him, Mike Tyson - one time GOAT turned rapist never got it back. Pete Rose - GOAT hitter lost it all due to gambling

For just football, Charlie Ward.  Heisman trophy winner (3rd largest margin of victory), NCAA champion winning QB.  Can't make his mind up about going to the NFL or NBA, stated that he would only play in the NFL if he was a first round pick.  Him being undecided led his draft status fall to a 3rd to 5th round pick, eventually leading to him not being drafted at all.  

But, he did play 11 seasons in the NBA.  But all that football talent just put aside, I remember being shocked when he didn't go all in for the NFL.  

The 'Skins have two that jump out of me......

Lavar Arrington - For the handful of highlight reel plays he made during his brief career, the dude could have been so much more had he not had a "me vs every coach I ever had" attitude.  

Michael Westbrook - The dude was really the first prototype of the modern era WR.  He was huge but had the speed and the hands.  He could have been Terrell Owens before T.O. existed, but we know how that ended up.

31 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Comedy - lots of guys burnt out instead of fading away - Chris Farley, John Belushi, Sam Kenison - who if they didn't OD had the ceilings of Gods

Kinson didn't OD - he died in a car accident where the other driver was at fault. 

31 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Barry Sanders

Reggie Bush

RGIII

Ryan Leaf

Sam Bowie

Barry Sanders didn't waste his talent.  He was just drafted by a ****ty organization and had to do it all.  He led his team to 5 playoff appearances and rushed for over 2000 yards in 1997. And is the #3 all time leading rusher in NFL history (behind Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton).  He played 10 seasons too, just decided to retire early and keep his health.  Had he decided to retire say after 3-4 years, then that would be considered a waste of talent, imo.

Reggie Bush was often injured throughout his career wasn't he?  Granted, prior to the injuries pilling up, he never exactly tore it up like expected being a #2 overall pick.

RGIII, this is a tough one because of how explosive and exciting his rookie season was.  I guess it's safe to say that his actions (and Shanny's actions and mishandling of him) after being injured and wanting to only be a pocket passer, then getting injured throughout his rookie contract contributed to him wasting talent and reduced to a back-up QB at best now.  

22 minutes ago, clietas said:

More like the Lions wasted Barry Sanders talent. He played for Wayne Fontes for what nine years? I'd of retired early too.

There were cases where play-calling hurt Sanders, but overall I don't think it was coaching that wasted his career. It was the teams around him. He never had a good QB or anything close to an adequate OL. 

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Barry Sanders didn't waste his talent.  He was just drafted by a ****ty organization and had to do it all.  He led his team to 5 playoff appearances and rushed for over 2000 yards in 1997. And is the #3 all time leading rusher in NFL history (behind Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton).  He played 10 seasons too, just decided to retire early and keep his health.  Had he decided to retire say after 3-4 years, then that would be considered a waste of talent, imo.

Reggie Bush was often injured throughout his career wasn't he?  Granted, prior to the injuries pilling up, he never exactly tore it up like expected being a #2 overall pick.

RGIII, this is a tough one because of how explosive and exciting his rookie season was.  I guess it's safe to say that his actions (and Shanny's actions and mishandling of him) after being injured and wanting to only be a pocket passer, then getting injured throughout his rookie contract contributed to him wasting talent and reduced to a back-up QB at best now.  

Barry wasted his entire career and performance for a franchize that did NOTHING to advance him as a player. He carried that team his entire career and has NONE of the acheivements his talent deserved. That’s a waste. I hated seeing him line up year after year knowing he was running for nothing but a paycheck. IMO there are few if any players that deserved a shot at the Super Bowl, Barry was one and he chose to waste his career in Detroit long after free agency would have allowed him to succeed elsewhere.

2 hours ago, clietas said:

More like the Lions wasted Barry Sanders talent. He played for Wayne Fontes for what nine years? I'd of retired early too.

That’s my point.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Barry wasted his entire career and performance for a franchize that did NOTHING to advance him as a player. He carried that team his entire career and has NONE of the acheivements his talent deserved. That’s a waste. I hated seeing him line up year after year knowing he was running for nothing but a paycheck. IMO there are few if any players that deserved a shot at the Super Bowl, Barry was one and he chose to waste his career in Detroit long after free agency would have allowed him to succeed elsewhere.

I don't see that as a waste of talent.  He accomplished a lot at a ****ty organization with no line or other weapons.  He didn't waste anything.  Even re-signing with them, perhaps a poor business decision on his part to remain loyal to a team that didn't put more pieces in place.  But talent wise, that was on display every Sunday from his first game to his last. 

It's not like he went there and pissed it all away or gave up or chose weed over football (Ricky Williams), he still performed at the highest level every Sunday, just for a ****ty organization/team.  

Here is what not wasting your talent looks like:

10× Pro Bowl (1989–1998)
6× First-team All-Pro (1989–1991, 1994, 1995, 1997)
4× Second-team All-Pro (1992, 1993, 1996, 1998)
NFL Most Valuable Player (1997)
2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1994, 1997)
2× Bert Bell Award (1991, 1997)
4× NFL rushing yards leader (1990, 1994, 1996, 1997)
NFL rushing touchdowns leader (1991)
NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (1989)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Detroit Lions No. 20 retired
Heisman Trophy (1988)
Maxwell Award (1988)
Walter Camp Award (1988)
Unanimous All-American (1988)

Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee (2004)

54 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don't see that as a waste of talent.  He accomplished a lot at a ****ty organization with no line or other weapons.  He didn't waste anything.  Even re-signing with them, perhaps a poor business decision on his part to remain loyal to a team that didn't put more pieces in place.  But talent wise, that was on display every Sunday from his first game to his last. 

It's not like he went there and pissed it all away or gave up or chose weed over football (Ricky Williams), he still performed at the highest level every Sunday, just for a ****ty organization/team.  

Which is a waste of his talent. He was a championship talent, and his decisions wasted that talent.

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I cannot stand the "your career is worthless unless you win championships" argument in team sports.  

Max Scherzer says ?

I didn’t say his career was worthless because he never won a championship. I said, repeatedly, that his talent was wasted because he never put himself in a position to win a championship. I don’t get the idea that athletes shouldn’t be chasing championships. Are you just playing for a paycheck? Wgat are you doing if you’re not aiming for one, ESPECIALLY in the day of free agency. 

So you believe that he wasted his talent because he didn’t choose where he played the way you would have?  Maybe he .... liked playing with the guys he played with?  Maybe he and his family liked Detroit. Who knows, but he probably had his reasons. 

Again, he’s in the Hall and made the Team of the Decade and pretty much accomplished everything he could have except win a cship. 

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Which is a waste of his talent. He was a championship talent, and his decisions wasted that talent.

But he played like a championship talent every Sunday, regardless of it being with the Lions.  Just because he didn't win a ring or choose a team in free agency that might give him the opportunity to compete for one doesn't mean he wasted his talent.  He only squandered his opportunity to possibly win a ring.  There are plenty of Hall of Famers that never won a championship, even first ballot ones.

Not to mention that the Lions made it to the NFC Championship in 1991, mid-way through his first contract, to get blown out by our beloved Redskins.  Perhaps as PB mentioned, he liked the city, his teammates, coaches, etc. and resigned because he truly believed at the time that they might be able to get over the hump and get a shot at a Super Bowl.  

Archived